Gary Semics outdated?

rawjahdesigns
8/7/2021 2:12am
You will never win with this person, just a heads up.
8/7/2021 9:54am Edited Date/Time 8/7/2021 9:55am
The best coach is seat time.
Panic_Rev wrote:
You can practice bad form all day long...
Tell that to Guy Cooper who rode in what would have been considered very unconventional at that time. Or, Barcia who revs the heck out of the bike. The truth is, fast is fast, and talent is talent. You can't teach those things, and the difference between a young up and comer making it or not, isn't a coach.

I actually think coaches are better suited to racers who have already rose a bit through the ranks. Guys like Cooper Webb, Dylan Ferrandis, et al. because is sharpens what is already there.
GarySemics
8/18/2021 5:02am
Panic_Rev wrote:
Tell that to Guy Cooper who rode in what would have been considered very unconventional at that time. Or, Barcia who revs the heck out of...
Tell that to Guy Cooper who rode in what would have been considered very unconventional at that time. Or, Barcia who revs the heck out of the bike. The truth is, fast is fast, and talent is talent. You can't teach those things, and the difference between a young up and comer making it or not, isn't a coach.

I actually think coaches are better suited to racers who have already rose a bit through the ranks. Guys like Cooper Webb, Dylan Ferrandis, et al. because is sharpens what is already there.
Obviously you can't teach talent or desire. However, if you have two riders with the same talent and desire, one is coached from and early age and the other is not, It's a no brainer who would become the better rider.
APLMAN99
8/18/2021 6:05am
Panic_Rev wrote:
Tell that to Guy Cooper who rode in what would have been considered very unconventional at that time. Or, Barcia who revs the heck out of...

Those are probably a couple of great examples of guys who probably could have benefited from slightly different coaching in order to take their massive talent and maximize it’s potential. Obviously Barcia was coached, but it wouldn’t be surprising if the gist of it was to put in time more than to develop different habits.

I could definitely see Cooper with another title or 2 on his mantle with a bit of different coaching. He may have been one of the top 5 talents. But the record books don’t reflect how talented he really was.

The Shop

GarySemics
3/30/2022 6:22am
I bought a bunch of Gary,s video tapes years ago, there great. It messed me up watching them too much, at one race all I was...
I bought a bunch of Gary,s video tapes years ago, there great. It messed me up watching them too much, at one race all I was thinking about was perfect technique in the race. I,m better off just letting go and not thinking at all. Just react quickly to what is happening. Just like a basketball ball game, a play is designed for ya to win the game. The play gets broken down and you react naturally with out thinking and win the game. Having perfect body position and 2 sided tape on your triggers- clutch and brake levers helps.
Obviously, you're not suppose to think about techniques while racing. Practice techniques separately. I emphasize this in many of my videos. BTW, I never taped any fingers. You must have me confused with someone else.
TeamGreen
3/30/2022 10:48am
I bought a bunch of Gary,s video tapes years ago, there great. It messed me up watching them too much, at one race all I was...
I bought a bunch of Gary,s video tapes years ago, there great. It messed me up watching them too much, at one race all I was thinking about was perfect technique in the race. I,m better off just letting go and not thinking at all. Just react quickly to what is happening. Just like a basketball ball game, a play is designed for ya to win the game. The play gets broken down and you react naturally with out thinking and win the game. Having perfect body position and 2 sided tape on your triggers- clutch and brake levers helps.
GarySemics wrote:
Obviously, you're not suppose to think about techniques while racing. Practice techniques separately. I emphasize this in many of my videos. BTW, I never taped any...
Obviously, you're not suppose to think about techniques while racing. Practice techniques separately. I emphasize this in many of my videos. BTW, I never taped any fingers. You must have me confused with someone else.
As for "technique" on race day? I got one that I know you know; and, it's that rare, frustrating & challenging exception.

There are race days when a rider is so "out of sorts" that all you can do is get them to go out there and focus on some "basic fundamental" or technique or on a certain part of the track that's giving them trouble. Because, sometimes they just aren't focused on the right things and letting the track or the competition or themselves or outside issues...

Get to them.

On those days? I attempt to get them out of their own head and get them re-focused on what they're doing...
precisely... fundamentally. As you know, sometimes these guys are so capable of racing in a "muscle memory condition" that they actually have the ability to think or worry about things on the track -outside- of what they're actually doing/should be doing out on the bike: they let the outside world in. They -think- too much!

Sometimes I take it all the way down to a fundamental or technique just to try to put the focus back on what the racer is doing "in the moment". Just like practice: Put the racer in a more finite and focused space. In Matt Goerke's case, I'd get him to zero-in on his turn-entry technique and turn it into a weapon. On those -really- challenging days, if I could get his head OUT of the race and into what he's doing on the bike? That turned him into an outright assassin.

He and a few other racers I've worked with have put in amazing races just trying to do one thing...

Pursue that PERFECT lap.

You know? The seemingly impossible. And it's a sight to behold when they get close to it.

Anyways, I thought it was funny as I recognized one of those "rare exceptions" where we're looking for anything we can use to get them out of the place that their in on "one of those days". I've always been a believer in how you approach the sport, the desire, the work and the fun of racing. Marty had a way of doing that, too (well, that just made me miss him, again). Sometimes, I think the new school forgets how hard the old school had to work. No worries, that's probably just "normal".
Grinning
Hope you're having a great year.

Manny
idworx
3/30/2022 11:00am
philG wrote:
Basics are basics..
and they are the very important thats why I named my company Bike Basics.
captmoto
3/30/2022 1:38pm
kkawboy14 wrote:
Randy Yoho advice to me 30 years ago, "how much did you spend on all this stuff to race? Spend $50 on lessons, you won't regret...
Randy Yoho advice to me 30 years ago, "how much did you spend on all this stuff to race? Spend $50 on lessons, you won't regret it!" Best advice I ever got!
I saw a video where someone asked the best place to spend $300 to make their bike faster. The answer was buy $300 worth of gas.
wreckitrandy
3/30/2022 5:57pm
Panic_Rev wrote:

I think Gary Bailey spent a good bit of time with Webb prior to him becoming a pro. Don't know if he ever whacked his knuckles with a stick or not. If I had to guess though I'd say, probably.
RaceFace58
3/30/2022 6:24pm
RhinoRider wrote:
Has Jeannie Carbunkle ever even rode a bike? We know big James rode some, but if you argue that a kid on a 60 can beat...
Has Jeannie Carbunkle ever even rode a bike? We know big James rode some, but if you argue that a kid on a 60 can beat Jeannie, well, you're probably not going far.

Colleen MIllsaps is another. You don't have to fast or even ride to be able to see what works and what doesn't.
Some hall of fame NFL coaches never played the game even.
Leave Us To
3/30/2022 9:05pm

In downhill ski racing they reinforce the importance of getting instruction earlier rather than later to avoid having to unlearn bad habits later.

Post a reply to: Gary Semics outdated?

The Latest