Gary Jones not happy with His Bikes & memorabilia being sold without his Permission?

OldTiddler
2/8/2020 7:37am
From what's been disclosed here, this guy sounds like either quite a jerk or needs serious help.

To allow your sentimental attachments to material things that you don't even own from almost 50 years ago to cause problems in family relationships is fuckin sad.

Sorry, championship or no, no fuckin 50 year old bucket of bolts is going to come between me and anyone I remotely care about. If they were that important to you, come up with the cash to buy the things yourself, then you can sit in your sad house with them, reminiscing about the glories of eons past, before you were a rotten old bastard.

plowboy
2/8/2020 7:45am
OldTiddler wrote:
From what's been disclosed here, this guy sounds like either quite a jerk or needs serious help. To allow your sentimental attachments to material things that...
From what's been disclosed here, this guy sounds like either quite a jerk or needs serious help.

To allow your sentimental attachments to material things that you don't even own from almost 50 years ago to cause problems in family relationships is fuckin sad.

Sorry, championship or no, no fuckin 50 year old bucket of bolts is going to come between me and anyone I remotely care about. If they were that important to you, come up with the cash to buy the things yourself, then you can sit in your sad house with them, reminiscing about the glories of eons past, before you were a rotten old bastard.

Hmmm, so everyone in this sordid tale is flawed in some way? I think I've seen this movie.
UGOTBIT
Fantasy
1679th
2/8/2020 7:51am
Terry’s post popped back up on Facebook for those that care to read it...
wildbill
2/8/2020 8:08am
Old tiddler has a point. They're all just a bunch of old God dammed dumb dirtbikes.

The Shop

Motoxdoc
2/8/2020 8:09am
Forty wrote:
Greed will always show up.....count on it. Doesn't matter friends/family/etc....greed is always in the room.
Gary is a legend. I had and have sooo much respect for him and his MX family as a whole! I remember in the early 80's when his career was winding down (probably over and just racing because it's in his blood) and I had just turned pro. I beat him at a local Saturday Saddleback race (The Beltnick's SMX club) and I was freaking out! My dad said something like, "You beat an old guy. What's the big deal?" I pointed to my grips, probably "ouri waffles", that had his signature on them and said, "I just beat that guy, a 4 time national champ and one of the first American motocross heros!"

Many years later I met him at "Rynos Ranch", and he seemed like a really solid, nice and humble person. This really sucks. However; there are 2 sides to every story and don't be so quick to throw 93 yo mom, or whoever made the sale, under the greedy bus (of course, unless you know that to be the case). What if she sold it out of desperation to pay the rent? Last I checked there are still people struggling to feed themselves, the cost of living continues to rise and not every elderly person has resources to compensate for this. As for the buyer, if he knew this was upsetting to Gary...I wouldn't consider him greedy because I'm assuming he paid a fair market value; he's just a dick, imo.
CalRMX
2/8/2020 8:59am
Some clown on Terry Good's FB page posted how the hand of God was on Terry Good and how blessed he was, this was in the thread about Gary Jones's bikes, I almost pucked.
plowboy
2/8/2020 9:11am
CalRMX wrote:
Some clown on Terry Good's FB page posted how the hand of God was on Terry Good and how blessed he was, this was in the...
Some clown on Terry Good's FB page posted how the hand of God was on Terry Good and how blessed he was, this was in the thread about Gary Jones's bikes, I almost pucked.
Crazy gonna crazy. How in the hell has humanity lasted this long?
Momus
2/8/2020 9:19am Edited Date/Time 2/8/2020 9:20am

‎Terry Good‎ on the Gary Jones' story.

Looks like I have to bring this post out again. When you accuse someone in public, you better have your facts straight. Slander and Defamation of Character are a very serious civil crime, everyone has civil rights.
Regarding the rumors of the sale of any Jones bikes or property to Terry Good: All property and bikes sold were the sole property of Don and Melinda Jones (Gary's parents). They sponsored Gary and DeWayne for their entire careers with bikes, parts and all expenses to the races. The equipment was theirs and in their possession for nearly 50 years. Don Jones and I were great friends for many years and had talked many times about having the entire Jones legacy preserved in a museum over 20 years ago. Don and his wife were in complete agreement with this. Twelve years ago Don Jones passed away leaving his wife Melinda in charge. As we grew closer to starting the museum it was time to transport the collection to Chicago. Most of it was Don's bikes, BSA Goldstar, a BSA desert racer, a couple of Tohatsu's (one was Don's father's) DeWayne's Honda a Maico etc. machinery from Jones motocross, and a couple of Yamaha's that were Yamaha's bikes not Joneses bikes. For all anybody knows the Yamaha's could have been ridden by DeWayne. Very little of anything was used by Gary. Just prior to the sale, three bikes, a Can-am, a Honda and an Ammex that were supposed to be included mysteriously disappeared. I wonder where they are. The family had several meetings about this and all were in attendance except Gary. He was invited but allegedly chose not to attend according to the rest of the family. They all agreed to honor Don's wishes to sell the collection to me to be displayed in the International Motocross Museum for the whole world to see long after anyone of us is around. The collection was sold legally (lawyer involved) with a bill of sale at a fair market price. I was given instructions by Don as to how he wanted it displayed back in 2008 and I promised him I would carry out his will and that is exactly what will happen. I have worked very hard at preserving motocross history and have had enthusiastic cooperation with every single champion from Les Archer to Torsten Hallman, Joel Robert, Roger De Coster and so on, and even from the factories Yamaha included. There are over 100 factory bikes and we will build this museum with the highest integrity as the sport deserves nothing less. FYI: None of Gary's championship bikes were included.
Forty
2/8/2020 9:26am
Forty wrote:
Greed will always show up.....count on it. Doesn't matter friends/family/etc....greed is always in the room.
Motoxdoc wrote:
Gary is a legend. I had and have sooo much respect for him and his MX family as a whole! I remember in the early 80's...
Gary is a legend. I had and have sooo much respect for him and his MX family as a whole! I remember in the early 80's when his career was winding down (probably over and just racing because it's in his blood) and I had just turned pro. I beat him at a local Saturday Saddleback race (The Beltnick's SMX club) and I was freaking out! My dad said something like, "You beat an old guy. What's the big deal?" I pointed to my grips, probably "ouri waffles", that had his signature on them and said, "I just beat that guy, a 4 time national champ and one of the first American motocross heros!"

Many years later I met him at "Rynos Ranch", and he seemed like a really solid, nice and humble person. This really sucks. However; there are 2 sides to every story and don't be so quick to throw 93 yo mom, or whoever made the sale, under the greedy bus (of course, unless you know that to be the case). What if she sold it out of desperation to pay the rent? Last I checked there are still people struggling to feed themselves, the cost of living continues to rise and not every elderly person has resources to compensate for this. As for the buyer, if he knew this was upsetting to Gary...I wouldn't consider him greedy because I'm assuming he paid a fair market value; he's just a dick, imo.
Not aimed at anyone in particular or involved in this transaction. I don’t know any of these people.

Just a blanket statement.

No offense to you personally.

crowe176
2/8/2020 9:33am
Momus wrote:
‎Terry Good‎ on the Gary Jones' story. Looks like I have to bring this post out again. When you accuse someone in public, you better have...

‎Terry Good‎ on the Gary Jones' story.

Looks like I have to bring this post out again. When you accuse someone in public, you better have your facts straight. Slander and Defamation of Character are a very serious civil crime, everyone has civil rights.
Regarding the rumors of the sale of any Jones bikes or property to Terry Good: All property and bikes sold were the sole property of Don and Melinda Jones (Gary's parents). They sponsored Gary and DeWayne for their entire careers with bikes, parts and all expenses to the races. The equipment was theirs and in their possession for nearly 50 years. Don Jones and I were great friends for many years and had talked many times about having the entire Jones legacy preserved in a museum over 20 years ago. Don and his wife were in complete agreement with this. Twelve years ago Don Jones passed away leaving his wife Melinda in charge. As we grew closer to starting the museum it was time to transport the collection to Chicago. Most of it was Don's bikes, BSA Goldstar, a BSA desert racer, a couple of Tohatsu's (one was Don's father's) DeWayne's Honda a Maico etc. machinery from Jones motocross, and a couple of Yamaha's that were Yamaha's bikes not Joneses bikes. For all anybody knows the Yamaha's could have been ridden by DeWayne. Very little of anything was used by Gary. Just prior to the sale, three bikes, a Can-am, a Honda and an Ammex that were supposed to be included mysteriously disappeared. I wonder where they are. The family had several meetings about this and all were in attendance except Gary. He was invited but allegedly chose not to attend according to the rest of the family. They all agreed to honor Don's wishes to sell the collection to me to be displayed in the International Motocross Museum for the whole world to see long after anyone of us is around. The collection was sold legally (lawyer involved) with a bill of sale at a fair market price. I was given instructions by Don as to how he wanted it displayed back in 2008 and I promised him I would carry out his will and that is exactly what will happen. I have worked very hard at preserving motocross history and have had enthusiastic cooperation with every single champion from Les Archer to Torsten Hallman, Joel Robert, Roger De Coster and so on, and even from the factories Yamaha included. There are over 100 factory bikes and we will build this museum with the highest integrity as the sport deserves nothing less. FYI: None of Gary's championship bikes were included.
Translation
2/8/2020 9:36am Edited Date/Time 2/8/2020 9:36am
Anyone have a link to the FB post? I looked on his page but saw nothing so I figure it must be on one of his many other FB pages.
BobbyM
2/8/2020 9:45am
If there weren't so many shootings in chigago I'd go see this moto museum asap.
Crossup
2/8/2020 9:48am
wildbill wrote:
Old tiddler has a point. They're all just a bunch of old God dammed dumb dirtbikes.
So why don't you put yours out on the street corner? uh... yeah right.
jjavaman
Fantasy
3765th
2/8/2020 9:51am
Who is Don Jones and why does this guy want Don’s bikes and not Gary’s? Was Don a 4 time champ? What would be the purpose of displaying the farther’s stuff?
Red Crawford
2/8/2020 9:53am
"Silence! Silence! Or, else, I will sue you, sir!"

Feels like a Monty Python skit. 😆
Crossup
2/8/2020 9:54am
Does anyone know where this Terry Good museum is and if its open?
2/8/2020 10:02am Edited Date/Time 2/8/2020 10:04am
jjavaman wrote:
Who is Don Jones and why does this guy want Don’s bikes and not Gary’s? Was Don a 4 time champ? What would be the purpose...
Who is Don Jones and why does this guy want Don’s bikes and not Gary’s? Was Don a 4 time champ? What would be the purpose of displaying the farther’s stuff?
Exactly.. seems a little fishy to me and what I find interesting, is not just the direct contradiction of the two posts.. Gary being very concerned about the sale and display of his "championship winning bikes" where T.Good just claimed that he doesn't have any of Gary's championship bikes. Gary's post was very sensitively written and he didn't even call out T.Good's name in his posting at all. It was very high class. T.Good comes out swinging threatening lawsuits and the story that he only bought a bunch of old bikes for his museum not connected to Gary and his championships.... hmmmm. I would like to see Gary's response to that post, but it certainly makes you wonder. While we don't have all the facts regarding these direct contradictions, personal character is certainly on display here for all to see.
BigBoreFan58
2/8/2020 10:04am
Crossup wrote:
Does anyone know where this Terry Good museum is and if its open?
It will be in Chicago. Not open yet.

There's a big fund raiser in July. You can sit with a star, have dinner, hear their stories. It's big money to go. Big money for me anyway.

Sounds like it will be cool place once it opens up.
HuskyEd
2/8/2020 10:08am
jjavaman wrote:
Who is Don Jones and why does this guy want Don’s bikes and not Gary’s? Was Don a 4 time champ? What would be the purpose...
Who is Don Jones? Blink
EngIceDave
2/8/2020 10:09am
jjavaman wrote:
GIwasB4
2/8/2020 10:10am
homerdaman wrote:
Same Terry Good of On The Line Racing who screwed over Erik Kehoe in 1992?
BobbyM wrote:
Do tell sir.
I want to hear this story
GIwasB4
2/8/2020 10:14am
When EID shows up, you know somebody's full of it.
mikec265
2/8/2020 10:24am
BobbyM wrote:
I wouldn't make the trip. You know what's going to happen when the people of Chicago find out there's dirt bikes in a building somewhere.
wildbill
2/8/2020 10:31am
wildbill wrote:
Crossup wrote:
Because I rode them all to death.
Motoxdoc
2/8/2020 10:42am
Forty wrote:
Not aimed at anyone in particular or involved in this transaction. I don’t know any of these people. Just a blanket statement. No offense to you...
Not aimed at anyone in particular or involved in this transaction. I don’t know any of these people.

Just a blanket statement.

No offense to you personally.

You're good! No offense taken.
Motoxdoc
2/8/2020 10:52am
I comprehended that part of the story the first time I read it. I guess what you're implying is that we should be angry at his 93 yo mom?Dry ....AND Good is a dick?!....no?
Crossup
2/8/2020 1:12pm
wildbill wrote:
Crossup wrote:
wildbill wrote:
Because I rode them all to death.
Nice! Cool
Red Crawford
2/8/2020 3:56pm Edited Date/Time 2/8/2020 3:57pm
So, an "attorney was involved"... 🤔 That raises even more questions.

May I ask, were both parties to the alleged contract represented by counsel?

If your gonna publicly invoke the involvement of an attorney as a basis for ensuring "fair market price", then details are important!
soggy
Fantasy
3857th
2/8/2020 5:02pm
BobbyM wrote:
bobbym never surprising with his asinine comments.
2/8/2020 5:15pm
Though it seems a bit unusual to involve lawyers for the purchase of a bunch of old dirt bikes, I imagine that might because he expected some potential challenges in the future, but that is not really the point, I think. It is not whether T.Good got the bikes legally or for a fair price. It is whether T.Good went around Gary Jones and against his wishes to acquire the bikes that Gary raced. Legality and "fair price" are really just a distraction because we will probably never have all the facts on that.

The discussion was whether he was an a$$hole for HOW he got the bike knowing that Gary wanted to keep this link to his cherished memories of his past. This is a bit easier to figure out.

Another point that could be raised was why if he was such good friends with Don Jones for so many years that he didn't get the bikes from him while he was still alive and the transaction only happened well after his death. We can never know what Don's true wishes were and T.Good would not be a good unbiased source on that info. We also don't know the mental state of 93 year old Mrs. Jones. Is she still thinking clearly and mentally fit or is she showing sign's of senility? A lot of people just don't think like they used to at that age.

Post a reply to: Gary Jones not happy with His Bikes & memorabilia being sold without his Permission?

The Latest