Gaming vs. Pro moto

zac_k3
9/9/2018 11:21pm Edited Date/Time 9/12/2018 10:57am
This may be a silly question being that this is Moto site but I’ve always wondered, would you guys rather your kids try to be a pro gamer/gaming content creator or go pro in racing? Yeah I know video games are for nerds and dirt bikes get the chicks but considering the injuries and struggles that most people go through trying to get too the top is it worth it? I always hear DV12 on the pulp show saying that “everyone should avoid racing” but didn’t know if he really means that or just jokes around about it. The top youtuber/streamer is currently making around $850,000 a month. Save the smartass coments for another thread!Wink
|
lostboy819
Fantasy
1568th
9/9/2018 11:22pm
Always follow the money. Cool
Doddy
9/9/2018 11:33pm
Depends on what the kid wants for me. School comes first though.
zac_k3
9/9/2018 11:38pm
lostboy819 wrote:
Always follow the money. Cool
I agree. I feel like the come up for either is really hard though, making it in amateur racing is harder but trying to build viewers is also extremely hard because everyone is trying to do the same.
zac_k3
9/9/2018 11:47pm
Doddy wrote:
Depends on what the kid wants for me. School comes first though.
I agree but I know parents have a huge impact on what kids want to do. If I was a kid and I was wanting to do gaming as a career path but I had a dirt bike in the garage that my father wish I was more into I’d feel guilty and would wanna make him happy by riding taking time away from playing. I know you can do both but to be successful in the whole gaming career in requires serious dedication (5-8 hours a day).

The Shop

devindavisphoto
Fantasy
3807th
9/10/2018 12:02am
Why does it have to be gaming or pro racer? Are we playing a game where there's no other options? In that case I'd say pro gamer/video game player (as long as you make sure they're having a life outside of the computer and have hobbies outside of gaming). Also, not all gamers are nerds... you'd be surprised who you meet in your everyday life who plays video games quite often, you would be surprised.
zac_k3
9/10/2018 12:27am
Why does it have to be gaming or pro racer? Are we playing a game where there's no other options? In that case I'd say pro...
Why does it have to be gaming or pro racer? Are we playing a game where there's no other options? In that case I'd say pro gamer/video game player (as long as you make sure they're having a life outside of the computer and have hobbies outside of gaming). Also, not all gamers are nerds... you'd be surprised who you meet in your everyday life who plays video games quite often, you would be surprised.
I’m 18 and have rode Moto since I was 6 and started playing games around 8-9 and just here recently I’ve wondered how people older than me feel about it because they’re both something that hits home for me. I completely agree with having an outside life, I’m not judging or trying to insult people by bringing up the nerd thing because I play usually every night for around 3-4 hours.
devindavisphoto
Fantasy
3807th
9/10/2018 12:36am
I'm going to college right now and the teacher wanted us to talk about something we're good at and selected a few people to share it with the class and this grown ass dude in his late twenties who goes to class full time plus works full time admitted to playing a lot of Fortnite and said his favorite game is the legend of zelda. It's surprising who plays video games nowadays, and who isn't afraid to admit it. 10 years ago if you played a video game for 3+ hours a night, you probably didn't have friends.
zac_k3
9/10/2018 1:03am
I'm going to college right now and the teacher wanted us to talk about something we're good at and selected a few people to share it...
I'm going to college right now and the teacher wanted us to talk about something we're good at and selected a few people to share it with the class and this grown ass dude in his late twenties who goes to class full time plus works full time admitted to playing a lot of Fortnite and said his favorite game is the legend of zelda. It's surprising who plays video games nowadays, and who isn't afraid to admit it. 10 years ago if you played a video game for 3+ hours a night, you probably didn't have friends.
Exactly! I feel like no one should be judged for playing video games, if you’re 600 pounds and only play call of duty and drink Mountain Dew all day (then yes you deserve it). That’s kinda why I asked this question was because I feel like it’s more acceptable now, like I said dirt bikes are cool and get the chicks but if you can make more money by playing games why would you not?
kb228
9/10/2018 1:24am
Having actually done the gaming thing, id say your chances of becoming a pro is better than riding a dirtbike. Money from streaming and youtube is really what you want to do. Winning tournaments doesnt actually pay as much as youd think. That being said gaming is unhealthy and i regret spending years of my life playing all day long for something that literally means nothing and doesnt pay anything. Wouldnt do it again. My vote goes to pro racing.
DoubleA
9/10/2018 2:01am
Let kids do whatever they want if they want to be good at something they will strive to do better. If you want to become pro in any sports you have to spend money and usually get little back but if your having a good time what does it matter.
9/10/2018 2:04am
I'm going to college right now and the teacher wanted us to talk about something we're good at and selected a few people to share it...
Nah. I had a lot of friends. Wish I could play more now. Just a lot of dedication, not enough time.

I don’t think Gamers are considered basement nerds anymore. That was like the 90s.....
Markee
Fantasy
2006th
9/10/2018 4:39am
I think we should bring back child labor. I would have much rather retire at 35 than 65.
dsmith
Fantasy
1294th
9/10/2018 6:19am
be like roncada and do both
Flip109
9/10/2018 6:21am
Pro gamers make more than pro motocrossers. Pretty sad lol
Skylebones
9/10/2018 7:31am Edited Date/Time 9/10/2018 7:32am
If a kid is interested in a gaming career, I'd recommend learning to program or becoming an Artist and making of career of game development instead. I currently work in the Game Industry as an Art Director. Been doing in for 15 years and have worked for some well known companies (Disney for one.)

I've worked for two companies with a big footprint in Esports (Still feels strange saying that.) And sure there are a lot more pro gamers than pro moto riders. But there are also a ton more people playing games trying to become pro than people in moto. The competition is just as fierce. Few make it, and fewer still make millions.

Like moto, most of them are not making millions. Only a very small amount. And the length of career is very limited. A gamer has to spend countless hours to reach a pro level in their chosen game. It's more than a full time job. Even then they aren't guaranteed a big pay day. Also, unlike traditional sports their career is still attached to a specific game, and games have shelf lives. Very few games are ten years old and still popular. What happens when that game loses popularity? No audience, no tournaments, no career. Then what do you do?

youtubers have the same problems.

If someone loves games and wants a game related job, learn a skill. Programmers are in high demand, and I know a lot more programmers making a lot more money than pro gamers.

I chose art, that's another story. Lol.

kkawboy14
9/10/2018 7:40am
Gamers/Developers are a completely different personality than Pro Racers!
cpyz300
9/10/2018 7:42am
Flip109 wrote:
I get more upset by high school and college football coaches making upwards of a million or two million a year, while most scientific researchers are lucky to make 60k-120k/year who actually make large scale differences in society whether it's recognized or not.
mx 219
Fantasy
1150th
9/10/2018 8:03am
Flip109 wrote:
cpyz300 wrote:
I get more upset by high school and college football coaches making upwards of a million or two million a year, while most scientific researchers are...
I get more upset by high school and college football coaches making upwards of a million or two million a year, while most scientific researchers are lucky to make 60k-120k/year who actually make large scale differences in society whether it's recognized or not.
How much are those coaches making the universities though when they win?

These contracts athletes and coaches sign are ridiculous today, but the owner's/universities wouldn't pay them if they weren't still making money.

It's an investment. Get a good coach/player, win more games, get more money.

I see what you are saying, but there is a reason athletes and coaches make the money they do.
Rhody
9/10/2018 8:14am
There's a guy who works at an auto repair shop near me who was a pro gamer making big money (250k per year). He stopped because the lousy lifestyle and stress were going to kill him by the time he was 40. He played 80 hours a week, lived on take out pizza and Mt Dew, and had type 2 diabetes by the age of 28. And the pressure to win was getting to him too, causing him to lose sleep and everything else that goes with stress, compounded by the sedentary lifestyle and lousy diet. So I'll would take MX.
cpyz300
9/10/2018 8:22am
Flip109 wrote:
cpyz300 wrote:
I get more upset by high school and college football coaches making upwards of a million or two million a year, while most scientific researchers are...
mx 219 wrote:
How much are those coaches making the universities though when they win? These contracts athletes and coaches sign are ridiculous today, but the owner's/universities wouldn't pay...
How much are those coaches making the universities though when they win?

These contracts athletes and coaches sign are ridiculous today, but the owner's/universities wouldn't pay them if they weren't still making money.

It's an investment. Get a good coach/player, win more games, get more money.

I see what you are saying, but there is a reason athletes and coaches make the money they do.
Of course, I get it.

I just don't like it ?
Spydee
9/10/2018 8:22am
Has anyone ever got a chick from riding a dirt bike is what I'm more curious about Laughing
snackfedbear
9/10/2018 8:26am
cpyz300 wrote:
This is a problem with society in general
dirtmike86
9/10/2018 8:27am
Everyone crying about gamers lifestyle of eating pizza and drinking mountain dew. Id much rather get hooked on pain killers from insane amounts of injuries. Ive seen too many good kids fuck everything up from moto and bad choices. A good friends sister plays on a video game league. Shes making good money now but that will dry up. Becoming a programmer is about the only solid deal out of all of this. Your odds of becoming a top pro with enough money to retire and not have to work is slim.
Spydee
9/10/2018 8:32am
dirtmike86 wrote:
Everyone crying about gamers lifestyle of eating pizza and drinking mountain dew. Id much rather get hooked on pain killers from insane amounts of injuries. Ive...
Everyone crying about gamers lifestyle of eating pizza and drinking mountain dew. Id much rather get hooked on pain killers from insane amounts of injuries. Ive seen too many good kids fuck everything up from moto and bad choices. A good friends sister plays on a video game league. Shes making good money now but that will dry up. Becoming a programmer is about the only solid deal out of all of this. Your odds of becoming a top pro with enough money to retire and not have to work is slim.
But you told me that when you're forced off the bike due to injury you play video games, eat pizza and drink mountain dew.... I'm confused?
9/10/2018 8:40am
Id rather be good at riding a motorcycle in real life than playing a virtual game, money aside
9/10/2018 8:42am Edited Date/Time 9/10/2018 8:46am
Playing video games is not a sport. It's entertainment. The question you have to ask yourself is, do you want your kid to be an athlete or an entertainer?

Kids watching other kids play video games is one of the most depressing trends of late.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
760th
9/10/2018 8:45am
Spydee wrote:
Has anyone ever got a chick from riding a dirt bike is what I'm more curious about Laughing
Dude..... You know the answer to this.

Of course!! I would say half the girls I got with in high school and up until I met my wife was because I rode. They all loved it.
731chopper
Fantasy
390th
9/10/2018 8:49am
I will suggest mechanical engineering to my boys and see if they're interested. Money isn't everything.
Spydee
9/10/2018 8:52am
mattyhamz2 wrote:
Dude..... You know the answer to this. Of course!! I would say half the girls I got with in high school and up until I met...
Dude..... You know the answer to this.

Of course!! I would say half the girls I got with in high school and up until I met my wife was because I rode. They all loved it.
Guess I'm in the wrong country, because I had the look of a confused face and the words "what's motocross?" all through high school LaughingLaughing

Post a reply to: Gaming vs. Pro moto

The Latest