Gaming thoughts and most played games of last year.

flatout111
Edited Date/Time 7/7/2019 4:42pm
Simply put, what moto related games have you played the most and enjoyed the most in the past year? Mine is quite surprising, I will admit. To both myself and prob all of you. Even second place kinda is unexpected. I'll put a focus on number one as I know no one else will. Smile

#1 First, for me, and I know I am in the major, major minority here, but it is Dakar 18. On bikes, of course. No, the physics aren't that great but it FINALLY brought an off road enduro adventure type simulation to the gaming genre. And I stress simulation. The physics may be average but the navigation (and the skill it requires to do properly) is absolute top notch and opens up a whole new aspect of what we've been playing for years.

I love the fact the bike speeds aren't exaggerated (I'm looking at you MVA). You must be cautious around Dangers and preserve the bike, there is a great amount of beautiful trail riding (though it is excessively heavy on the dunes in the early stages), very enjoyable night riding, some really rough terrain, terrible thunderstorms, mud pits and sand traps you'll get majorly stuck in and have to shovel yourself out of and mainly it is a HUGE challenge to learn the road book and truly play the game correctly.

If you get tired of the same ol' taking laps (and I admit, I kinda have at times) then try it. If you think you are all that then take it off the easy setting (which is still pretty darn hard) and put it on Competitor mode and all I can say is good luck. It's hard as hell to not get lost, much less be competitive.

It's nice to have a game that is about being intellectual and paying serious attention. It's different from what we've played for years which is more about lines and speed. Again, it's not about jumps or even superb physics as they need a lot of work but it does capture an immersive, endurance event which requires some serious navigation skills to succeed.

I'm a hard enduro fan. It's not that but prob as close as we'll get in gaming. So that maybe makes me score it higher than it should but I'm just ranking what I've played the most and enjoyed the most.

#2 Another surprise. I actually have played All Out quite a bit. It is the best MX vs ATV game I think to date. Not a lot to say that hasn't been said but THQ/Nordic/Rainbow deserve props. My main gripes are the bike speeds are still too fast for my tastes, the broken BRAAP, the lack of a decent season mode and AI that makes sense in said mode and sometimes lackluster tracks. The tracks being the main issue, to me. But still, it is a very good game. I really like the physics, LOVE the slot cam and think it is a really good game. And the new DLC will be announced soon. Should be really cool!

#3 MESX 2 A bit of a surprise. it's a very good game and better than 1. But I think it does fall into the same feel as the other games a bit too much whereas MVA is making huge strides and Dakar was totally new. Still a solid game! Love the goggle cam and tearoffs. Better scaling than MVA. Needs deformation work like a lot.

#4 MXGP Pro Again, I like it but it's not got a tone of playing time. Still, I think the best in the series other than 2 which I really liked.

Honestly, I think we've been blessed with a lot of very good moto games this year. MVA is stepping up big time, Milestone continues to do very solid work and Big Moon came out of nowhere and actually gave us an offroad adventure game that is extremely heavy on the simulation side with top notch navigating. Would I rather have Erzberg? Heck yeah, but Dakar is really immersive and enjoyable. And it is something new.

Pretty interesting. How about you guys?
|
7/7/2019 6:26pm
I've played all but MX vs ATV. I loved Dakar mostly because I'm a huge fan of it - the physics are some of the worst that you can find, but the good news is that it can only get better. Could you imagine the physics of at least the Milestone games and Dakar put together?

Supercross 2 was an improvement over the first one but the AI is still to easy. MXGP Pro was fun and with the coming release of MXGP 2019 I hope that they put together all that they learned from the Supercross and MXGP Pro games to make their best one so far.

Not dirt related, but if you are a MotoGP fan, check out MotoGP 2019. It is a Milestone game also, but it seems leaps and bounds above what they have done on the dirt bike games as far as presentation, physics, etc. If MXGP 2019 is as polished as that, then it should be a decent game.
flatout111
7/7/2019 6:55pm Edited Date/Time 7/7/2019 8:05pm
I've played all but MX vs ATV. I loved Dakar mostly because I'm a huge fan of it - the physics are some of the worst...
I've played all but MX vs ATV. I loved Dakar mostly because I'm a huge fan of it - the physics are some of the worst that you can find, but the good news is that it can only get better. Could you imagine the physics of at least the Milestone games and Dakar put together?

Supercross 2 was an improvement over the first one but the AI is still to easy. MXGP Pro was fun and with the coming release of MXGP 2019 I hope that they put together all that they learned from the Supercross and MXGP Pro games to make their best one so far.

Not dirt related, but if you are a MotoGP fan, check out MotoGP 2019. It is a Milestone game also, but it seems leaps and bounds above what they have done on the dirt bike games as far as presentation, physics, etc. If MXGP 2019 is as polished as that, then it should be a decent game.
I def don't think the Dakar physics are good but It didn't lessen my enjoyment of the game. Sure, it can def be way better but still. The game speed seems spot on. What I love about it is that the game speeds are realistic so you actually have time to react. When I play Dakar I am focusing on the trail, the terrain, the bearing and def the road book. It's imperative to do so or you will get so lost or crash and damage the bike or yourself. I also like that the terrain becomes very difficult. Hill climbs, rocks, water. Weather, night/day. And unlike the freeriding of something like MVA, you can't just plow thru everything. Plow into a rocky section or a Danger 3 and you'll end up over the bars with possible terminal bike damage.

I like you have to dig yourself out of mud and sand, wave for assistance. With the exception of the Endurocross in Untamed, all the other racing games seem focused on speed which makes sense. Dakar follows the first rule of enduro. In order to finish first you must first finish. It's different in that is more about intelligence than reaction, speed and lines.

Yeah, I would love if the bike reacted like MVA did as far as the suspension but I'm glad that they at least got the speed of the game right. Most developers get that basic nuance completely wrong.

For me, it's a winner and it has tons of room to improve, physics wise.

Big Moon is making a sequel but there has been a change in the distributor so they've had to be somewhat quiet on news lately. Hopefully forthcoming.

Anyway, I am new to Dakar.. But yeah, I've played the heck out of it. Go figure.
bvm111
7/7/2019 8:04pm
MadSkillsMX is all I play
devotid
Fantasy
367th
7/7/2019 8:24pm
My personal favorite
http://www.mx-bikes.com/ Best Sim Based with "realistic physics" Amazing to just rip laps on a outdoor track against the stopwatch. Really hard but very rewarding when you get it right.

Also just bought MXGP3 yesterday on steam and am enjoying the career mode on there. Its 15 bucks and a cheap fun game. The dirt and track graphics are awesome the way the track changes through a moto. Bike physics are arcade but still very fun to and still reward running a good line. AI is a little to easy though. I am going to put this in the Motorhome and it will be nice to waste time and play between rl races.

The Shop

aeffertz
7/7/2019 9:09pm
devotid wrote:
My personal favorite http://www.mx-bikes.com/ Best Sim Based with "realistic physics" Amazing to just rip laps on a outdoor track against the stopwatch. Really hard but very...
My personal favorite
http://www.mx-bikes.com/ Best Sim Based with "realistic physics" Amazing to just rip laps on a outdoor track against the stopwatch. Really hard but very rewarding when you get it right.

Also just bought MXGP3 yesterday on steam and am enjoying the career mode on there. Its 15 bucks and a cheap fun game. The dirt and track graphics are awesome the way the track changes through a moto. Bike physics are arcade but still very fun to and still reward running a good line. AI is a little to easy though. I am going to put this in the Motorhome and it will be nice to waste time and play between rl races.
Man, I wanna like MX Bikes but I've given up on it a long time ago and have yet to see any game play that looks even somewhat accurate to an actual MX bike. It feels and looks like your riding a road bike on dirt and there's no real sense of control. I think it's a false representation to call it a simulator, it reacts nothing like a dirt bike. Very arcade-y physics (in the sense the bike is very rigid/simple), overly twitchy reactions of the rider and bike, the game cannot handle ruts, etc. There's a lot of settings and buttons to press but that shouldn't qualify it as a simulator.
disbanded
Fantasy
1734th
7/7/2019 9:29pm
I've been on a big Chutes and Ladders kick lately
Cortami79
7/8/2019 12:25am
My opinion,

Still Reflex is the game i have the most fun with. Just need it with the graphics and tracks that the MXGP games offer.

I also have MX Simulator. Great great game with a lot of amazing custom content, just sucks that the community went way backwards with paid services for tracks, bikes and gear. A major update on the bike and rider would be nice as well. I've bought it when it all started (i think i have a UID of 560) and it hasn't changed much since
tcallahan707
7/8/2019 12:32am
Man, never knew about a Dakar game. That actually sounds like a blast!

Side note, I just built a VR sim racing setup and joined iracing. Holy shit. You are straight up driving a race car.

The only thing greater would be the dirt bike version. The day I can build a simulator that allows me to practice Tomacing an outside berm is going to be the greatest day of my life.
Twigster
7/8/2019 12:57am
Man, never knew about a Dakar game. That actually sounds like a blast! Side note, I just built a VR sim racing setup and joined iracing...

Side note, I just built a VR sim racing setup and joined iracing. Holy shit. You are straight up driving a race car.

The only thing greater would be the dirt bike version. The day I can build a simulator that allows me to practice Tomacing an outside berm is going to be the greatest day of my life.
Been on iracing for many years now, if you're into motorsports it's by some distance the milestone for online racing. The downside is the cost, but when you put that next to how much we put into a new bike or new kit when it comes out, it's still cheaper than MX. Smile
7/8/2019 1:30am
Man, never knew about a Dakar game. That actually sounds like a blast! Side note, I just built a VR sim racing setup and joined iracing...

One of the problems with VR is that many people don't realise how freaking amazing it is - it isn't after all something you can visually show in a TV advert. Desperate for an MX version where you can really feel a sense of height and depth over the obstacles etc, that'd be incredible.
Twigster
7/8/2019 1:48am

One of the problems with VR is that many people don't realise how freaking amazing it is - it isn't after all something you can visually...
One of the problems with VR is that many people don't realise how freaking amazing it is - it isn't after all something you can visually show in a TV advert. Desperate for an MX version where you can really feel a sense of height and depth over the obstacles etc, that'd be incredible.
VR is easy to do for a flight-sim or driving game though as you are sat down with 'replica' controls. For anything like MX, it's much, much harder as there are no control systems or anything currently developed which react to body positioning instead of an analogue input. Even having a set of handlebars wouldn't work because we don't steer by turning the bars...
kb228
7/8/2019 3:48am
Mx sim = best mx game over the last 6-7 years
flatout111
7/8/2019 4:03am

https://www.vitalmx.com/forums/Moto-Related,20/Just-got-Dakar-18-The-Vi…

Again, don't go into Dakar expecting MVA or even Milestone physics. It's way more primitive than that. But that's not where the value in this game lies. If you want an adventure off road game that is HEAVY on simulation as far as navigating give it a shot. It's also just way different for us MX gamers. I've played it a ton and prob cause it is so different.

The open world maps are huge and there is 2 free DLC maps.

I've played mainly Dakar, right much All Out (with more to come soon) and a good amount of MESX2. I just thought it was surprising myself.

Hope you enjoy it. Start on easy mode and prepare for something super hard when anything off easy.
7/8/2019 4:11am
Stopped reading when: "All Out is the best MX vs ATV game to date".
flatout111
7/8/2019 5:10am Edited Date/Time 7/8/2019 5:21am
thepelican wrote:
Stopped reading when: "All Out is the best MX vs ATV game to date".
I think with proper tuning it is. Reflex was good but I didn't think the Nationals felt right at all. They are a little better in All Out now that they've been tweaked. Still not great yet, though.

I honestly played Untamed's Endurocross and Alive's JS7 stuff more than anything they've done. But yeah, it's just opinions. They're all valid.

And the best is yet to come with All Out.

But hey, this is just my opinion. I doubt anyone here puts Dakar on top like I dud. Lol. And I'm kinda an optimist these days. A long time Milestone fan... still am.. but stoked to see good stuff coming from Rainbow now and forthcoming and a new player bringing an off road simulation experience.

But share your favorites.
7/8/2019 9:31am

flatout111 wrote:
https://www.vitalmx.com/forums/Moto-Related,20/Just-got-Dakar-18-The-Video-Game-Shorty,1346972 Again, don't go into Dakar expecting MVA or even Milestone physics. It's way more primitive than that. But that's not where the value in this...

Again, don't go into Dakar expecting MVA or even Milestone physics. It's way more primitive than that. But that's not where the value in this game lies. If you want an adventure off road game that is HEAVY on simulation as far as navigating give it a shot. It's also just way different for us MX gamers. I've played it a ton and prob cause it is so different.

I've played mainly Dakar, right much All Out (with more to come soon) and a good amount of MESX2. I just thought it was surprising myself.

Hope you enjoy it. Start on easy mode and prepare for something super hard when anything off easy.
faltout111, check out my YouTube channel for some more Dakar bike content if you have time. I'm doing the rally with Ricky Brabec. I hate speed penalties!
psychotronBR
Fantasy
1281st
7/8/2019 10:15am

What VR setup are you running dude? And while i'm at it, what game?

I just recently bought a used cockpit and a G920 racing wheel to use on both my xbox one x and pc. I've been itching to go VR for months, but i always kind of back down when i start researching because of price, accessibility etc.
flatout111
7/8/2019 10:24am

flatout111 wrote:
https://www.vitalmx.com/forums/Moto-Related,20/Just-got-Dakar-18-The-Video-Game-Shorty,1346972 Again, don't go into Dakar expecting MVA or even Milestone physics. It's way more primitive than that. But that's not where the value in this...

faltout111, check out my YouTube channel for some more Dakar bike content if you have time. I'm doing the rally with Ricky Brabec. I hate speed...
faltout111, check out my YouTube channel for some more Dakar bike content if you have time. I'm doing the rally with Ricky Brabec. I hate speed penalties!
Oh cool. Will do, man. I watched and enjoyed Kellen with Start Your Systems run as Shorty.

I know some find it boring and yeah, the dunes get kinda old, but otherwise the trails are awesome and really the only enduro type riding with a purpose in a game. I'm not a fan of freeriding so this works for me.
flatout111
7/8/2019 10:30am

flatout111 wrote:

faltout111, check out my YouTube channel for some more Dakar bike content if you have time. I'm doing the rally with Ricky Brabec. I hate speed...
Yeah, the penalties are harsh but it's nice to have to really pay attention. That's why I hate freeriding in games. There is no purpose, no skill, no strategy. Yeah, the physics aren't anything to write home about but you have to learn the road book in this game. And it is something fresh and new from just hitting perfect lines.

What skill mode are you on?
7/8/2019 10:38am
flatout111 wrote:
Yeah, the penalties are harsh but it's nice to have to really pay attention. That's why I hate freeriding in games. There is no purpose, no...
Yeah, the penalties are harsh but it's nice to have to really pay attention. That's why I hate freeriding in games. There is no purpose, no skill, no strategy. Yeah, the physics aren't anything to write home about but you have to learn the road book in this game. And it is something fresh and new from just hitting perfect lines.

What skill mode are you on?
I think I'm on "Competitor" mode? Will have to try Legend difficulty next - will probably do cars or trucks in one of the DLC rallies.
flatout111
7/8/2019 10:48am
I'm on the Ruta DLC as Red Bull Factory KTM 's Sam Sunderland. Great map.

flatout111
7/8/2019 3:45pm Edited Date/Time 7/8/2019 3:48pm

flatout111 wrote:

Enjoying your Dakar series, man! Thanks! If I may, can I offer some constructive criticism? Just my opinion, of course.

I totally get why you did it, but I don't really care for the speeding up the video aspect when not a lot going on. It sorta gives a misrepresentation of the game and it's speed for those not sure what's going on and b) the slower areas, speed zones and the riding in the middle of nowhere is kinda a big part of it and how properly reading the road book is a skill.

But again, I get it. But maybe for future videos just go into more detail on reading the road book and learning the terminology instead of speeding thru parts of video. But you also may have done it to keep the videos shorter. So again, just a thought.

But for sure. The dunes at the beginning are pretty tiresome and boring. So I get it but I guess I'd kinda prefer just a regular run throw without speeding things up. It's a game of endurance, smart navigating and patience. If people aren't interested in those aspects I doubt they'll like the game anyway.

Just my two cents, though. Cool series, man. Thanks!
tcallahan707
7/8/2019 8:51pm

What VR setup are you running dude? And while i'm at it, what game? I just recently bought a used cockpit and a G920 racing wheel...
What VR setup are you running dude? And while i'm at it, what game?

I just recently bought a used cockpit and a G920 racing wheel to use on both my xbox one x and pc. I've been itching to go VR for months, but i always kind of back down when i start researching because of price, accessibility etc.
Samsung Odysessy+. Pretty well priced and good for sim racing. I don't think it's anything special for other VR uses but seated with a narrow focus like racing, it does the job well for the price.

As for games, I am mainly doing iracing simply because it's a blast to have a "career" and I really want to build my skills/channel to a point where I may get an opportunity to get in a real race car Chad Reed style.

I enjoy F1 2018 but no VR and I have Assetto Corso and Project Cars 2 as well. There is a steam sale on a lot of racing games right now. I'd get Dirt 2.0 but I don't have a handbrake so it's not worth it. Reddit has a ton of good info as well.

I love it so much.
7/9/2019 9:59am
flatout111 wrote:
Enjoying your Dakar series, man! Thanks! If I may, can I offer some constructive criticism? Just my opinion, of course. I totally get why you did...
Enjoying your Dakar series, man! Thanks! If I may, can I offer some constructive criticism? Just my opinion, of course.

I totally get why you did it, but I don't really care for the speeding up the video aspect when not a lot going on. It sorta gives a misrepresentation of the game and it's speed for those not sure what's going on and b) the slower areas, speed zones and the riding in the middle of nowhere is kinda a big part of it and how properly reading the road book is a skill.

But again, I get it. But maybe for future videos just go into more detail on reading the road book and learning the terminology instead of speeding thru parts of video. But you also may have done it to keep the videos shorter. So again, just a thought.

But for sure. The dunes at the beginning are pretty tiresome and boring. So I get it but I guess I'd kinda prefer just a regular run throw without speeding things up. It's a game of endurance, smart navigating and patience. If people aren't interested in those aspects I doubt they'll like the game anyway.

Just my two cents, though. Cool series, man. Thanks!
Yeah, I did it to keep the videos shorter. I couldn't think of things to say for 45+ minutes Smile Maybe in the next go around I'll try uploading the full stages and won't worry about filling it with chatter.
7/9/2019 10:10am
I recently got back into MX vs ATV Reflex. I downloaded a Washougal mod and oh wow it's so much fun. I play some MXSim in between too.

I've gone right off the Milestone MX games myself, the last 2 releases have missed the mark for me and the new one doesn't look much better.

On a side note, I know it's not MX but I've been really loving MotoGP 19. I wish Milestone put in as much effort into MXGP as they did MotoGP.
MW19
7/9/2019 11:05am
Damn I havent looked up MX Bikes in a while but just did and it looks super legit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYWIxr-XZ50

I'll have to give it a try tonight.

I've been playing MX Sim mostly, but every now and then will pick up All Out. Usually after they release a DLC. I just get bored of it kinda quickly although I think it could be a great game if it had real nationals or an editor.

Post a reply to: Gaming thoughts and most played games of last year.

The Latest