Gaerne vs Alpinestars

COAL-TRAIN
Edited Date/Time 3/13/2019 7:38pm
I though this had been discussed but cant find the answer Im looking for.
I have been an Alpinestars guy for 27 years. Owned many pairs and wouldn't have wanted to change but the quality has gone down as well as customer service. I just got off the phone w them after 2 days of a run around trying to get help w rider support.
I have a new pair of Tech 7's that have defective buckles. So I have to send them back and in the mean time I need another pair. I was trying to find the correct person to send a resume to so I could try for a discount on my 2nd pair. A yes or no was all I was looking for. The lady was so rude it was alarming...I never got the correct info just a feeling of taking my business elsewhere.
So...I am going for Gaerne...I keep hearing good things about them.
I wear Tech 7"s cause they fit my feet good. Who has used both? Which model Gaerne's am I looking for...SG10"s?
Thanks for the help.
|
cjmx
Fantasy
1179th
3/7/2014 2:14pm Edited Date/Time 3/7/2014 2:15pm
gaerne's are great boots, the sg12's are the top of the line but the sg10's are also really good. Only issue I had was the soles wore out really fast.

I switched to fox instincts last year and they are the best boot I have ever worn. More support and the soles still look new after an entire season. Gaernes run large, Fox run small, try them on before you buy.
markit
3/7/2014 2:38pm
Like you i use AS for years, the Tech 6es i ran for years where great till like 2005 then i got some 10s and the Vectors (? model) Can i say junk!!! I owned a shop at the time and got some SG10s on close out, still have um, nuff said. I think AS where good boots till around the mid 2ks then somthing went wrong with them?
TbonesPop
Fantasy
321st
3/7/2014 4:34pm
I recently went from AS Tech 6's (that I have had for 5-6 years) to Gaerne GX-1's. The GX-1's are the lower cost model for the Gaerne's. I really like the boots and I would say that the GX-1's are as good of even a little higher quality than the Tech 6s. The GX-1's fit 1/2 size big, so if you go that route make sure you get 1/2 size smaller. I just wear 2 pair of socks with the second being fairly thick (and hot). I read that the Gaerne's ran a little large, but I didn't follow my gut to get the 1/2 size smaller. I kind of wish I had, but what I got will work fine at the end of the day. The Gaerne's are equally as comfortable with just a little bit of break in. I have about 2.5 hours of ride time on them now and they feel great. I can't speak to how they hold up obviously as I only have 2.5 hours on them. If you go with Gaerne's, you won't be disappointed. Just my $0.02
Ctrefz787
3/7/2014 4:49pm
I have a pair of tech 6s and to say the least there not good for long periods of time. The toe box is narrow. I have bought a pair sg10s and have never owned a set of boots better. Little heavy but the support is awesome. They have a lot of room and there are no pinch points due to the hinge. Alpine stars needs a hinged boot to compete with the latest boots.

The Shop

erikcrvjl
3/7/2014 4:51pm
I've never had a pair of A-Stars, but I've been running Gaerne's for a couple years now and I have nothing but good things to say about them
motokiwi
Fantasy
319th
3/7/2014 5:10pm
Yzjs7 runs Gearnes, and so does his bro Bubba. So obviously they are good gear. Bro.
bullpen658
3/7/2014 5:22pm
I called Alpinestars today and demanded that they give me rider support (aka, several pairs of free boots) because I once won a vet beginner race with over 5 other guys on the gate with me and they were RUDE to me too!!!! Didn't even give me a single free pair of boots. I've had the same pair of Tech 8s since 1999 but I can tell you right now, with that kind of piss poor customer / racer support, I'm going to speak with my wallet in 2025 when I buy my next pair. I'm thinking Gaerne or Berik for my next pair for sure.
motokiwi
Fantasy
319th
3/7/2014 5:25pm
bullpen658 wrote:
I called Alpinestars today and demanded that they give me rider support (aka, several pairs of free boots) because I once won a vet beginner race...
I called Alpinestars today and demanded that they give me rider support (aka, several pairs of free boots) because I once won a vet beginner race with over 5 other guys on the gate with me and they were RUDE to me too!!!! Didn't even give me a single free pair of boots. I've had the same pair of Tech 8s since 1999 but I can tell you right now, with that kind of piss poor customer / racer support, I'm going to speak with my wallet in 2025 when I buy my next pair. I'm thinking Gaerne or Berik for my next pair for sure.
You obviously forgot to tell them you have won against the great BobbyM at chickenlicks raceway! That result has some serious swing, in the industry.
bullpen658
3/7/2014 5:30pm
bullpen658 wrote:
I called Alpinestars today and demanded that they give me rider support (aka, several pairs of free boots) because I once won a vet beginner race...
motokiwi wrote:
You obviously forgot to tell them you have won against the great BobbyM at chickenlicks raceway! That result has some serious swing, in the industry.
I would never lie. I'm not man enough to hold BobbyM's jock strap while he plows my girlfriend's field. He would beat me with his peg leg if he heard me say some crap like that.
Mickolobe7
3/7/2014 6:29pm
Gaerne. Alpinestars are over priced boots that fall apart.
Glory
3/7/2014 6:31pm Edited Date/Time 3/7/2014 6:44pm
Ever tried Sidi? Love those! Sidi over Alpinestars all day! Never had a pair of Gaerne though so can't really say anything about them
slipdog
3/7/2014 7:07pm
bullpen658 wrote:
motokiwi wrote:
I think the real question here is, is it Chickenlicks Raceway or Chickenlips Raceway?

I've heard it called both, but let's face it, everyone knows that chickens don't have lips. Of course, I don't think I've ever heard of anyone being licked by a chicken either... I'm so confused by all of this!
BRIT317
3/7/2014 8:12pm

We just had to make this same decision today at Chaparral... He's had Instinct's & Tech 10's and was deciding on new 10's or the SG12's....

Gaerne SG12 won!

He said they felt way more comfortable...just one persons opinion...by the way it was my first time at Chaparral and that place is AMAZING! Woohoo
Redrcr34
3/8/2014 7:23am
BRIT317 wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2014/03/07/47681/s1200_boby.jpg[/img] We just had to make this same decision today at Chaparral... He's had Instinct's & Tech 10's and was deciding on new 10's or the...

We just had to make this same decision today at Chaparral... He's had Instinct's & Tech 10's and was deciding on new 10's or the SG12's....

Gaerne SG12 won!

He said they felt way more comfortable...just one persons opinion...by the way it was my first time at Chaparral and that place is AMAZING! Woohoo
You made a good choice , I wore alpinestars for over 30 years. I really wanted to continue wearing them but the quality seems to be lacking. I have the sg12 and I really think they are the best, most comfortable boot I have ever worn. The price was steep but the quality is over the top. No regrets here , I love my sg12's
bullpen658
3/8/2014 7:25am
bullpen658 wrote:
motokiwi wrote:
slipdog wrote:
I think the real question here is, is it Chickenlicks Raceway or Chickenlips Raceway? I've heard it called both, but let's face it, everyone knows that...
I think the real question here is, is it Chickenlicks Raceway or Chickenlips Raceway?

I've heard it called both, but let's face it, everyone knows that chickens don't have lips. Of course, I don't think I've ever heard of anyone being licked by a chicken either... I'm so confused by all of this!
hahaha. I always thought it was chickenLIPS raceway but I am really really dumb so that doesn't help us.
davis224
Fantasy
138th
3/8/2014 8:06am
Gaerne. I got my first pair of SG10s in 2007, and I'm still wearing them. To the guy who said his soles wore out fast, he must've had lemons, mine show no signs of wearing out anytime soon. I did finally lose a buckle strap, so I need to call them to see if I can get a replacement.
RudyRayMo
3/8/2014 8:09am Edited Date/Time 3/8/2014 8:11am
Gaerne keeps it 100, same pair of since 06. My brother has been thru a couple of astars since then.
lp223
3/8/2014 8:29am
I can't comment on the A-stars but I had the same pair of Gaernes since 05 until last summer when I upgraded to the Fox Instinct. I am really impressed with the protection and feel of the instinct but nothing I have worn has the quality and durability of the Gaernes, they are a step ahead of the competition in my opinion and I will be switching back to them when I get a new pair.
COAL-TRAIN
3/8/2014 12:24pm
Thanks for all the input.
Also didn't mean to whine about Astars...I know Im a no body and didn't expect a deal, just looking for a simple yes or no. In the past they were most helpful so I was shocked at the disregard for a long time customer...maby the lady was having that time of the month LOL
COAL-TRAIN
3/8/2014 12:30pm
BRIT317 wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2014/03/07/47681/s1200_boby.jpg[/img] We just had to make this same decision today at Chaparral... He's had Instinct's & Tech 10's and was deciding on new 10's or the...

Gaerne SG12 won!

Redrcr34 wrote:
You made a good choice , I wore alpinestars for over 30 years. I really wanted to continue wearing them but the quality seems to be...
You made a good choice , I wore alpinestars for over 30 years. I really wanted to continue wearing them but the quality seems to be lacking. I have the sg12 and I really think they are the best, most comfortable boot I have ever worn. The price was steep but the quality is over the top. No regrets here , I love my sg12's
So on the SG 12"s...do they use a bootie?
steve_97060
3/8/2014 12:49pm
I had both the SG10 and the SG12's, both are great boots.

both are very comfortable but the 12 takes it to another level, they do have a slightly larger toe area which I liked but it is also a little higher.

get the 12's they are amazing..
mx836
3/8/2014 12:55pm
So the only person in this thread that likes the A-stars just wanted to show off all of his boots?
MXD
3/8/2014 2:03pm
You'll love the SG12's. I went from Tech 8's in the late 90's to Tech 10's right when they came out. I was lucky enough to be at an industry event and the AS rep gave me a pair a few weeks before they came out. I wore them 3 times and shelved them for SG10's. That was somewhere around 04. I rocked the SG10's for 5 solid seasons (between 04 and 12. I took a few years off inbetween) and in 2012 I went to SG12's. I still use the 10's as a back up and the original soles are still in great shape. As good as the 10 is, the 12 is even better and more comfortable right out of the box. You can't go wrong with either but the 12's are so nice.
mxdude105
3/8/2014 2:45pm
I've always worn Alpinestars, my current set of Tech 6's is about 6-7 years old and they still look and feel great. Sole is starting to wear out but that's to be expected after this long. Still have a pair of M4's that must be 12 years old by now, they've held up pretty well.
Racer92
3/8/2014 2:46pm
Ive owned 'stars before, never again.

Sidi Crossfires only from here on.
Spooner
3/8/2014 2:58pm
A lot of you guys are talking about some pretty ancient boots. If your last pair were Tech 6's you might want to try some more modern ones since those are from 10 years ago. Also astars is the only boot company with a repair facility in the states and does have killer service.

BTW, everyone should try on the new tech 7's that came out in the fall. They are hands down the most comfortable boots I've worn and the buckles are bad ass like the new Tech 10.
Racer92
3/8/2014 3:02pm
Spooner wrote:
A lot of you guys are talking about some pretty ancient boots. If your last pair were Tech 6's you might want to try some more...
A lot of you guys are talking about some pretty ancient boots. If your last pair were Tech 6's you might want to try some more modern ones since those are from 10 years ago. Also astars is the only boot company with a repair facility in the states and does have killer service.

BTW, everyone should try on the new tech 7's that came out in the fall. They are hands down the most comfortable boots I've worn and the buckles are bad ass like the new Tech 10.
No offense sir, but why would I want to experiment with Astars when Crossfires are the most comfortable boots Ive ever worn? I have no reason to switch from Sidi, they are incredible.
murph783
3/13/2014 9:09am
I've run both over the years, Astars for years when I started out. old style tech 6's were longest lasting boot I've ever seen. My father, brother, and I all ran one pair of them, they've been in use on and off for about 10 years, and the sole is still near perfect, uppers don't have much support left, but Completely intact. Had tech 10's, loved the feel of them, so light and supportive...but the sole disintegrated after about 3 months. Gaerne sg 10's, not overly supportive from the beginning, but lasted a decent amount of time, maybe 2 seasons. Sg 12's, very light, more supportive than the sg 10, not nearly as much as the tech 10 though. Sole also fell apart very quickly, maybe 5-6 months. Currently I'm using a pair of the Tech 8 "lights", which aren't bad, sole is lasting well, very supportive, although still a hair off the tech 10 in that department, and they are comfortable. Probably going to try the sidi crossfire 2's after these, they look promising! Although the absolute best boot I have ever ran, was one of the older Tech 8 Generations, the ones from like '06-'07. Loved them, if I could find some now, I'd buy them over anything else!

Post a reply to: Gaerne vs Alpinestars

The Latest