Gaerne sg12 v.s. tcx comp Evo fitment

CR92
Just as the title says, I'm curious if anyone has any experience using both pairs, and how they compare performance, comfort, and fit wise.
I currently have tcx's and am looking to get some gaerne's, but would appreciate some personal experience.
Thanks everyone!
Edit: I'm especially curious on the sizing differences, as I'll probably be buying online.
|
Brtp4
5/22/2021 9:21am Edited Date/Time 5/22/2021 2:08pm
CR92 wrote:
Just as the title says, I'm curious if anyone has any experience using both pairs, and how they compare performance, comfort, and fit wise. I currently...
Just as the title says, I'm curious if anyone has any experience using both pairs, and how they compare performance, comfort, and fit wise.
I currently have tcx's and am looking to get some gaerne's, but would appreciate some personal experience.
Thanks everyone!
Edit: I'm especially curious on the sizing differences, as I'll probably be buying online.
I have used both. The TCX was quite good but I prefer the SG-12.

Weight was about the same but TCXs have more mass. Fairly large everywhere but especially from the ankle area up. I will say the toe with the Michelin sole was a little slimmer. A little soft/flexible in the forefoot (which I do not like) also IMO. Not Tech 7 soft though. For a boot with a bonded sole, Comps wear pretty well compared to...some others. Hinge feel was a little odd, almost springy. Still though, not a bad boot at all.

SG-12s had a smaller profile everywhere except toe. Super, super solid feel. Ankle support is excellent because of the very thick memory foam padding there, best I have found is this regard. Has best tib/fib support, hard to bend laterally above the ankle.

Feel is very solid and hinge action is excellent. Sole wear is excellent. Durability is fantastic. One negative IMO, they are on the heavy side with the weight bias at the bottom of the boot.

Full disclosure, I am an off road guy, so bouncing off hidden objects is an important concern for me. YMMV.

Hope that helps.

BP
Atomic-Moto
CR92
5/22/2021 12:49pm
CR92 wrote:
Just as the title says, I'm curious if anyone has any experience using both pairs, and how they compare performance, comfort, and fit wise. I currently...
Thanks everyone!
Brtp4 wrote:
I have used both. The TCX was quite good but I prefer the SG-12. Weight was about the same but TCXs have more mass. Fairly large...
I have used both. The TCX was quite good but I prefer the SG-12.

Weight was about the same but TCXs have more mass. Fairly large everywhere but especially from the ankle area up. I will say the toe with the Michelin sole was a little slimmer. A little soft/flexible in the forefoot (which I do not like) also IMO. Not Tech 7 soft though. For a boot with a bonded sole, Comps wear pretty well compared to...some others. Hinge feel was a little odd, almost springy. Still though, not a bad boot at all.

SG-12s had a smaller profile everywhere except toe. Super, super solid feel. Ankle support is excellent because of the very thick memory foam padding there, best I have found is this regard. Has best tib/fib support, hard to bend laterally above the ankle.

Feel is very solid and hinge action is excellent. Sole wear is excellent. Durability is fantastic. One negative IMO, they are on the heavy side with the weight bias at the bottom of the boot.

Full disclosure, I am an off road guy, so bouncing off hidden objects is an important concern for me. YMMV.

Hope that helps.

BP
Atomic-Moto
That was the the perfect response, thank you! One question, did you wear the same size in both?
How was the wear in period for the gaerne?
Brtp4
5/22/2021 2:07pm Edited Date/Time 5/22/2021 2:08pm
Thanks.

I was the same EU SIZE in both, 46. Each company does their conversions differently, use EU size instead of US.

No real difference in break-in.

HTH.

BP
Atomic-Moto
planter
5/25/2021 11:22am
Good description above. Same size for both with me, but different fit/feel. Gaerne ankle fit is just as described and weird at first but once use to it, really good.

Buckles and Velcro on SG12 way simpler than Comp Evo (pain, almost need three hands till used to it). Both good boots, probably likes the TCX 2.1 a little better than the EVO as far as ankle protection and ease of use. If they were the same price or close, I'd probably go with SG12 for ease of use and similar protection.

The Shop

Crossup
5/25/2021 5:39pm
CR92 wrote:
Thanks everyone!
I have both pairs of boots. For size 11 the sg12 are slightly roomier at the calf and the foot. The sg12 are far stiffer in the ankle compared to the tcx.
CR92
5/26/2021 5:15am
Thanks for the responses everyone. I ordered the sg12's, and they should be here today or tomorrow.

What has everyone's experience been with breaking them in? Any process you've found to work better than another?

Let me know, and thanks for everything so far!
CR92
5/28/2021 6:09pm
Gaerne sg-12's just got here today, fitment is great!

They are super stiff though. Any suggestions on the best break in methods?
5/28/2021 6:19pm
CR92 wrote:
Gaerne sg-12's just got here today, fitment is great!

They are super stiff though. Any suggestions on the best break in methods?
I just suck it up for a day and it’s normally okay by the end of the day.
xrmark
5/28/2021 6:23pm
I just picked up a set of the red SG12’s and just got out of the sidi crossfire 3’s. I think TCX and sidi are the same? Could be wrong. But I’d go with the SG12’s all day. Feel much better
gartchen
5/28/2021 8:29pm
Hey there,

I have been wearing the SG 12 boots for about the last 10 years or so. Absolutely and thoroughly love them. Quality and all of that of course is damn near perfect. So I just wanted to talk about the size a little bit

I wear a true size 9 tennis shoe, as in Nike etc. and a true size 9 hiking boot, like a high-tech or a workbook etc.

My older pairs of SG 12 fit me perfectly in a size 9. In the SG 10 I had to go up to a size 10. When I bought my boots new I could almost feel them broken in by the end of the first day. They’re stiff like they should be but they’re not uncomfortable at all. For me.

I have the older pairs with the flat toebox on them. And again mine fit perfectly. Plenty of room through the calf for full knee braces, Troy Lee right now. For example I also bought some alpinestars in the tech seven just for casual trail riding that I also love in a size 9. But they do not have anywhere near the space around the calf for larger braces or kneepads. SG 12s. To me have been the perfect boot .

But...... they changed the area above the toe on the newer models. It is now a bit more rounded rather than flat. Which I believe makes the boot smaller which is good so less stuff to get in the way. However, having tried three pairs I cannot wear the nine anymore. 9.5 was OK a little tight and the tens were a little loose. If I were going to buy another pair right now I would have to get the 10. i’m getting really old, 55 this year :-), so maybe my feet of just changed. But I can still slip on my older boots and they fit beautifully.

The new boobs have a little black or gray usually, peace just above the large toe on each boot. You can see the difference in the new style from the old style.

I have been wearing the alpinestars a little bit more lately just because they are lighter. But anytime I decide to do anything a little more fast or aggressive or with any kind of jumps or whoops at all I put on the SG12
gartchen
5/28/2021 8:31pm
The new boots! Lol. Text to talk. Brrrrrp
Brtp4
5/28/2021 9:04pm
gartchen wrote:
Hey there, I have been wearing the SG 12 boots for about the last 10 years or so. Absolutely and thoroughly love them. Quality and all...
Hey there,

I have been wearing the SG 12 boots for about the last 10 years or so. Absolutely and thoroughly love them. Quality and all of that of course is damn near perfect. So I just wanted to talk about the size a little bit

I wear a true size 9 tennis shoe, as in Nike etc. and a true size 9 hiking boot, like a high-tech or a workbook etc.

My older pairs of SG 12 fit me perfectly in a size 9. In the SG 10 I had to go up to a size 10. When I bought my boots new I could almost feel them broken in by the end of the first day. They’re stiff like they should be but they’re not uncomfortable at all. For me.

I have the older pairs with the flat toebox on them. And again mine fit perfectly. Plenty of room through the calf for full knee braces, Troy Lee right now. For example I also bought some alpinestars in the tech seven just for casual trail riding that I also love in a size 9. But they do not have anywhere near the space around the calf for larger braces or kneepads. SG 12s. To me have been the perfect boot .

But...... they changed the area above the toe on the newer models. It is now a bit more rounded rather than flat. Which I believe makes the boot smaller which is good so less stuff to get in the way. However, having tried three pairs I cannot wear the nine anymore. 9.5 was OK a little tight and the tens were a little loose. If I were going to buy another pair right now I would have to get the 10. i’m getting really old, 55 this year :-), so maybe my feet of just changed. But I can still slip on my older boots and they fit beautifully.

The new boobs have a little black or gray usually, peace just above the large toe on each boot. You can see the difference in the new style from the old style.

I have been wearing the alpinestars a little bit more lately just because they are lighter. But anytime I decide to do anything a little more fast or aggressive or with any kind of jumps or whoops at all I put on the SG12
Try the 9.5/44s again. This time, take the footbeds out when you do, and try them without. You would not ride them that way, but it is a good way to simulate how they will be once broken in. I'll bet they fit fine.

BP
CR92
6/8/2021 6:15am
So, fun story everyone. The boots got here Friday, May 28th, then we went riding on the May 31st. Well, I can definitely say they're good boots. I had a good crash, resulting in my ankle being pummeled into the ground, and have no doubt that the extra ankle "stiffness"/protection helped a lot. Pretty sure I would have full on snapped my ankle, had I not been wearing them! Comfy boot, too!

There is one thing though, I love the way the boots fit in every single way, except for the calf. The top of the boot is so loose, and I can't seem to get the top two straps to be as tight as I'd like. It seemed weird to me that the top inner Velcro part of the boot fit snug and perfect, but the two upper straps and plastic shell pieces were loose. Any advice, or solutions?

Let me know, and thanks again for all the help guys!

Cody
Mayo513
6/8/2021 1:16pm Edited Date/Time 6/8/2021 1:17pm
You can order and switch the strap sizes, btw. RMATV has them. I did it to mix and match for my boots. The top calf/shin piece also has 3 screw with different positions that you can move them around or more inward.

Coming from Astarts tech7 to the Sg12, I hated the SG12. They were so heavy, I lost the 'feel". That all went away. It took a while for them to break in but I now love them and won't have any other boots.
CR92
6/15/2021 6:11am
I have another question for you all.
So, my wife rides with me and due to how much I'm liking the sg-12's, and how much they recently saved my ankle, I now want to get a set for her.
She is a size 7½ in boots, so roughly a 6 in men's boots? Anyway, does anyone know if I can get a pair of sg-12's in that size?
She currently has fox comp boots, but these, and pretty much all the other boots I've found in her size are so flimsy and seem useless.
Let me know!
Thanks!
Brtp4
6/15/2021 7:54am
CR92 wrote:
I have another question for you all. So, my wife rides with me and due to how much I'm liking the sg-12's, and how much they...
I have another question for you all.
So, my wife rides with me and due to how much I'm liking the sg-12's, and how much they recently saved my ankle, I now want to get a set for her.
She is a size 7½ in boots, so roughly a 6 in men's boots? Anyway, does anyone know if I can get a pair of sg-12's in that size?
She currently has fox comp boots, but these, and pretty much all the other boots I've found in her size are so flimsy and seem useless.
Let me know!
Thanks!
SG-12s are not imported in that size, but Gaerne SG-10s are. They might be better for her anyway as they are a little lighter.

This one: https://www.atomic-moto.com/products/gaerne-sg-10-boots?variant=3102583…

The Fastback, also an excellent boot, is offered in a size 6. However it is on national backorder ATM.

Hope that helps.

BP

Post a reply to: Gaerne sg12 v.s. tcx comp Evo fitment

The Latest