Gaerne Boots HELP PLS!!!

Tflyvt
I have ridden in tech 3's tech 7's and one pair of tech 10's, my entire life in alpinestars. Last year I bought a pair of SG10's and love them, some much more protection, and most importantly they have lasted me a whole season without even starting to fall apart (typically ride over 100hrs a season of NE woods and MX) which is the only reason I switched from the alpinestars. With them after 1 season they'd be worn out, and after 2 they'd usually be missing a buckle or two and my right foot would always develop huge holes in the sole from kickstarting and braking.

Anyway I have found with the SG10's that I cannot hit the brakes instinctively for my life. If I'm going downhill or over braking bumps I have to bend my knee and entire leg in a weird way that means I can't grip the bike like I used too. At times it has been so bad that when I lift my foot up to brake going downhill I almost go OTB because of how much I have to shift my weight. Is this the boots???? Their slightly big on me, less than a half size but I can still shift fine and they dont move on my feet when riding. I also moved from a 2014 KTM 250 xc to a 2018 250 SX at the same time. Could it be something with the geometry of the newer bike I can't get used too?

I really need to try and figure out a solution because I cant go another season like this and selling either the bike or boots would be really detrimental if it didn't fix the issue.

Sorry for the essay and its only my second post but it has really degraded my confidence in riding not being able to use the rear brake.
|
AJ565
2/18/2020 6:09am
Brakes are over rated, they only slow you down.
loftyair
2/18/2020 7:28am
Yep, try pedal height, maybe even slightly bend pedal out. Something like that. Its not the boots.

The Shop

TheGetFresh
Fantasy
2551st
2/18/2020 8:12am
I had a similar problem with Gaerne. Here’s the reason and some suggestions.

Of the major producers, Gaerne uses lasts with the highest volume. This means the interior of the boot is more spacious than boots in the same size from other manufacturers. The footbed is true to size and width, but there’s just generally more space for the foot, particularly above the foot. This creates problems if you foot doesn’t fill out that space because your foot will shift inside the boot instead of bending the foot when you articulate your lower leg. What’s likely happening when you try to brake is that your toe is pushing off the floor of the boot and lifting your heel rather than flexing the boot.

There are a few fixes.

Since you have too much space in the boot, filling out some of the gaps can help. A few companies make very stiff closed cell foams in various thicknesses that you can use to fill the empty space. Get something a few millimeters thick and cut it into a footbed shape. Place this under the removable sole as a type of shim. You can also replace the stock insole with a custom/semi-custom insole like a superfeet or something else. Make sure you don’t add too much heel rise vs the toe, however, as this will through off your balance and just feel weird.

Next, make sure your boots are tight and put them on in a way that locks your heel down more securely. Slide your boot on and bang the heel on the concrete to set your foot further back. Then strap the Third strap down and bang it again. Then do the bottom strap, the second, then the first. Redo the third strap at the end if you think you need more tightness. You’re not strapping the boots to keep them from falling off, you’re strapping them so they don’t shift around on your foot.

Lastly, dont try to fill the space with a thicker sock. thick socks will bunch and pool sweat and just generally ruin your feel.

mauidex
2/18/2020 12:19pm
HRP sports has a product called shox. Give it a try as it should help your issues!!
crowe176
2/18/2020 12:22pm
I had to size down in Gaerne’s. 11 in A stars, 10 in Gaernes.

Post a reply to: Gaerne Boots HELP PLS!!!

The Latest