GP vs AMA

agn5009
7/31/2017 7:09am
robkinuk wrote:
Agree in 2017 being a transition year for 450 class. Looking at 10th through 20th at Washougal you could hardly claim any of the riders are...
Agree in 2017 being a transition year for 450 class. Looking at 10th through 20th at Washougal you could hardly claim any of the riders are household names?
Really sad that Eli Tomac is ducking out of MXDN duty again, when a win at Matterley could so much enhance his reputation and career! Perhaps he's a realist who couldn't take another defeat?
JustMX wrote:
Perhaps he has been working hard to win titles and has less interest in traveling to a foreign country for a race that only truly benefits...
Perhaps he has been working hard to win titles and has less interest in traveling to a foreign country for a race that only truly benefits the promoter.

When the American promoter of perhaps the largest mx event in American history loses money doing it there is something seriously wrong with the event.

US riders going to race the a gp type event is comparable to gp riders coming to race the monster energy cup.

A completely different track type, format, and set up then what they are familiar with.

Send us your best and let's compare them after they try their hands in vegas.

Xavier wrote:
@your last sentence : it's done, we sent Roczen and Musquin, who actually did or are doing not too bad.
You did send 2 of your best. But Musquin only has a lites sx championship to his name and he's Ryan Dungeys age. Roczen is great, when he can stay off the ground. They've both been here for a long time now and still aren't dominating. According to GP fans their riders are light years better.

This is not a knock on Musquin or Roczen, they're both fantastic world class athletes. It's a knock on the ding dongs who actually think the GP series is better.

It's funny that we go over there and still fight for wins every single year no matter what. You guys come over here and it's not even close. We could send Webb, Plessinger and Peick (5th through 10th place guys here) and still be a podium threat over there. We would win anywhere here on home soil with those guys. But you guys think you're guys are so much better. Its funny how things only work 1 way.

UpTiTe
Fantasy
4109th
7/31/2017 7:19am
I'm starting to become a firm believer that the GP riders are much more talented and faster than our guys state side. Ferrandis came right over...
I'm starting to become a firm believer that the GP riders are much more talented and faster than our guys state side. Ferrandis came right over and has been battling up front, they smoked RV, the fastest guy we've had in years and they've been whooping our ass at MXDN. I feel like if they sent over their top 5 riders, Tomac may finish off the podium. Am I the only one thinking this?
I was with you right up until the point where you said Tomac wouldn't even make the podium if they brought their top five, that's just absolutely ridiculous.

Their top three in our top 3 are comparable, but that's where it ends. No way do Dean and Martin even break the top 10 in the GP. I think they're 4th to 10th Place Riders would smash our fourth to Tenth Place Riders.
7/31/2017 7:42am
I thought RV went over there and won a moto and overall at round two. Have any euros come over for a weekend and done that here?
tempura
7/31/2017 7:52am
The riders will settle it on the dirt at the US GP and MXDN.

The Shop

7/31/2017 7:57am Edited Date/Time 7/31/2017 8:00am
agn5009 wrote:
You did send 2 of your best. But Musquin only has a lites sx championship to his name and he's Ryan Dungeys age. Roczen is great...
You did send 2 of your best. But Musquin only has a lites sx championship to his name and he's Ryan Dungeys age. Roczen is great, when he can stay off the ground. They've both been here for a long time now and still aren't dominating. According to GP fans their riders are light years better.

This is not a knock on Musquin or Roczen, they're both fantastic world class athletes. It's a knock on the ding dongs who actually think the GP series is better.

It's funny that we go over there and still fight for wins every single year no matter what. You guys come over here and it's not even close. We could send Webb, Plessinger and Peick (5th through 10th place guys here) and still be a podium threat over there. We would win anywhere here on home soil with those guys. But you guys think you're guys are so much better. Its funny how things only work 1 way.

oh come on dude ... Ferrandis does pretty good he rookie year won already 2 motos .How is that not even close ?

how funny is your last line .......Laughing after reading your comment

But you guys think you're guys are so much better. Its funny how things only work 1 way.
Sideways
7/31/2017 8:56am
TbonesPop wrote:
Moose also got smoked earlier in the season multiple times. And Anderson smoked the field last year in his MXoN race in the GP's backyard. Both...
Moose also got smoked earlier in the season multiple times. And Anderson smoked the field last year in his MXoN race in the GP's backyard. Both classes have talented fast riders. In my mind, the speed and talent is equal. You just have different circumstances that impact individual race outcomes and venues.
you guys just remember what you want to remember.
First of all, it was not all the GP riders.. Jason andersson rode the open class. Cairoli, Febvre and lots of the other fast riders rode in the mxgp class. Who jason never got to race because of the incident.
2nd, herlings was clearly faster than Jason, catching him and going down when trying to make a pass. Which was also his first time racing a 450.

Just stating facts that that alot of you seems to forget.
kkawboy14
7/31/2017 9:01am
kkawboy14 wrote:
SX or MX?

Moose can just beat the best here 4 motos in a row........
TbonesPop wrote:
Moose also got smoked earlier in the season multiple times. And Anderson smoked the field last year in his MXoN race in the GP's backyard. Both...
Moose also got smoked earlier in the season multiple times. And Anderson smoked the field last year in his MXoN race in the GP's backyard. Both classes have talented fast riders. In my mind, the speed and talent is equal. You just have different circumstances that impact individual race outcomes and venues.
Yep, agreed!
cali11
7/31/2017 9:12am
cameron96 wrote:
Glen Helen Eli Tomac, Dude came from outside the top 10 both motos against all the top GP guys And his fastest lap was 6 ish...
Glen Helen Eli Tomac, Dude came from outside the top 10 both motos against all the top GP guys

And his fastest lap was 6 ish seconds faster then 2nd place.

And we haven't been getting smoked at the nations. Go watch them again..
F.B wrote:
"And his fastest lap was 6 ish seconds faster then 2nd place." Alternative fact? Time practice Pos 1. Van Horebeek: 2:04.324 Pos 2. Tomac: 2:04.418 Qualifying...
"And his fastest lap was 6 ish seconds faster then 2nd place."

Alternative fact?

Time practice

Pos 1. Van Horebeek: 2:04.324
Pos 2. Tomac: 2:04.418

Qualifying race

Pos 1. Febvre: 2:07.930
Pos 6. Tomac: 2:09.818

Moto 1

Pos 1. Tomac: 2:07.621
Pos 2. Cairoli: 2:09.037

Moto 2

Pos 1. Tomac: 2:08.662
Pos 2. Cairoli: 2:11.180
You have more time on your hands, than I do
cali11
7/31/2017 9:26am
To make this fair pick top (Both classes) 3 AMA & GP riders. Pick 2 AMA tracks & 2 GP tracks. We get Marvin since he is a full on AMA rider. Let's face it, he is never going back to France. Then to settle score they race A1 & A2 SX track. Then you will see who has the fastest riders.
steed 2.0
7/31/2017 9:28am
things will never change he ..... LaughingLaughingLaughing
They are quite harmless ... they just like to argue,
now it's just waiting for someone to play the World War II card ... make my day GrinningSilly
7/31/2017 9:41am
steed 2.0 wrote:
They are quite harmless ... they just like to argue, now it's just waiting for someone to play the World War II card ... make my...
now it's just waiting for someone to play the World War II card ... make my day GrinningSilly
have seen the WW II card already in other topic ... Shocked
7/31/2017 9:43am
So, we're starting this dumb shit before the team is even announced this year? Good.
7/31/2017 9:48am
So, we're starting this dumb shit before the team is even announced this year? Good.
Has nothing to do with des nations. The way ferrandis has been riding this summer had me thinking about the depth of our guys and the gp guys.
early
Fantasy
2231st
7/31/2017 10:07am
Has nothing to do with des nations. The way ferrandis has been riding this summer had me thinking about the depth of our guys and the...
Has nothing to do with des nations. The way ferrandis has been riding this summer had me thinking about the depth of our guys and the gp guys.
There were alot of people saying he would be challenging for the championship this summer.
steed 2.0
7/31/2017 10:23am
steed 2.0 wrote:
They are quite harmless ... they just like to argue, now it's just waiting for someone to play the World War II card ... make my...
have seen the WW II card already in other topic ... Shocked
9999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999.... SmileWink
F.B
7/31/2017 10:33am
cameron96 wrote:
Glen Helen Eli Tomac, Dude came from outside the top 10 both motos against all the top GP guys And his fastest lap was 6 ish...
Glen Helen Eli Tomac, Dude came from outside the top 10 both motos against all the top GP guys

And his fastest lap was 6 ish seconds faster then 2nd place.

And we haven't been getting smoked at the nations. Go watch them again..
F.B wrote:
"And his fastest lap was 6 ish seconds faster then 2nd place." Alternative fact? Time practice Pos 1. Van Horebeek: 2:04.324 Pos 2. Tomac: 2:04.418 Qualifying...
"And his fastest lap was 6 ish seconds faster then 2nd place."

Alternative fact?

Time practice

Pos 1. Van Horebeek: 2:04.324
Pos 2. Tomac: 2:04.418

Qualifying race

Pos 1. Febvre: 2:07.930
Pos 6. Tomac: 2:09.818

Moto 1

Pos 1. Tomac: 2:07.621
Pos 2. Cairoli: 2:09.037

Moto 2

Pos 1. Tomac: 2:08.662
Pos 2. Cairoli: 2:11.180
cali11 wrote:
You have more time on your hands, than I do
Yeah, copy-pasting lap times takes a lot of time. That's 3 minutes of my life I'll never get back.

You joined 5 years after I did and you have more posts...
agn5009
7/31/2017 10:50am
agn5009 wrote:
You did send 2 of your best. But Musquin only has a lites sx championship to his name and he's Ryan Dungeys age. Roczen is great...

oh come on dude ... Ferrandis does pretty good he rookie year won already 2 motos .How is that not even close ? how funny is...
oh come on dude ... Ferrandis does pretty good he rookie year won already 2 motos .How is that not even close ?

But you guys think you're guys are so much better. Its funny how things only work 1 way.
I would never take anything away from Ferrandis. He's a fantastic rider. It just amazes me people think he's better than everyone else for some reason. No one ever doubts his speed. But the guy wins a moto then struggles to find the top 10.

I honestly believe Tomac, Musquin, Baggett (when healthy) would be equal to Cairoli, Herlings and Gajser. I think each one of those guys are a step ahead of anyone else in the world but are on the same level as each other.

Anderson can probably be grouped with Desalle, Febvre and Paulin. I think Webb will be right there with these guys too once healthy.

The next group is where the USA falls behind. The 8th thru 20th place guys. I do think the GP series is "deeper" in potential race winners. For example, Cairoli may win this week but take 6th next. You won't see that happen to Tomac, Musquin or Baggett very often when healthy or without a mistake.

250s are a different ball game. I think the 250 class is much deeper in the AMA. I believe Jonass could compete for podiums and maybe 2 or 3 other guys, but other than that I honestly believe the top 20 250 AMA guys are much better. And i will add this, i thibk Jonass would do great in the AMA because of his Dungey-esqe consistency. It's pretty awesome to see.
7/31/2017 11:53am
agn5009 wrote:
I would never take anything away from Ferrandis. He's a fantastic rider. It just amazes me people think he's better than everyone else for some reason...
I would never take anything away from Ferrandis. He's a fantastic rider. It just amazes me people think he's better than everyone else for some reason. No one ever doubts his speed. But the guy wins a moto then struggles to find the top 10.

I honestly believe Tomac, Musquin, Baggett (when healthy) would be equal to Cairoli, Herlings and Gajser. I think each one of those guys are a step ahead of anyone else in the world but are on the same level as each other.

Anderson can probably be grouped with Desalle, Febvre and Paulin. I think Webb will be right there with these guys too once healthy.

The next group is where the USA falls behind. The 8th thru 20th place guys. I do think the GP series is "deeper" in potential race winners. For example, Cairoli may win this week but take 6th next. You won't see that happen to Tomac, Musquin or Baggett very often when healthy or without a mistake.

250s are a different ball game. I think the 250 class is much deeper in the AMA. I believe Jonass could compete for podiums and maybe 2 or 3 other guys, but other than that I honestly believe the top 20 250 AMA guys are much better. And i will add this, i thibk Jonass would do great in the AMA because of his Dungey-esqe consistency. It's pretty awesome to see.
now you make sense ...
and i agree with you , the top of both 450 series can win at any track at any day .
MX2 in US is just a class better at the moment and in past years , only Herlings and Ferrandis were 2 riders in the past that could match them.

As for MXON , the USA has just so many riders to choose from that you always have a shot ... look at us , the dutch , we got Herlings as toprider , after that we get top 10 riders in 450 and 250 . Yet we almost won last year , we were leading until the very last lap but Febvre spoiled the party and we lost with just 1 point ....

you need a bit of luck at MXON to win it
PressPassP
7/31/2017 12:35pm Edited Date/Time 7/31/2017 1:36pm
agn5009 wrote:

oh come on dude ... Ferrandis does pretty good he rookie year won already 2 motos .How is that not even close ? how funny is...

agn5009 wrote:
I would never take anything away from Ferrandis. He's a fantastic rider. It just amazes me people think he's better than everyone else for some reason...

I'm so glad we have two awesome series with great riders and great racing to watch

Jonass,Seewer,Covingvton and Paturel if he ever, ever made a decent start could well be podium contenders like Ferrandis,
The 250. class is deeper than MX2 though
The MX1 deeper than the 450 class..imo

The 450 riders are all so hard to predict though,on an average crossing ponds, tracks etc they're on a pretty even level across the board, this year's USGP should be better if Cairoli stays fit, Gajser too, while Paulin & Desalle are much more true form than last year's efforts,Febvre is getting there too, I hope a few more AMA do it too (assuming Tomac will again)

Osborne versus Covington is the most interesting match up for me though at the end of the year

TXDirt
7/31/2017 1:22pm
There is no doubt that the MXGP riders have closed the gap on our U.S. riders over the last 10 years. The top guys in Europe are competitive with the top guys in America and vice versa. I'm talking like the top 5 from each class really.

I do think the field in the GP's is deeper in the 450cc class over the U.S. field.

As far as 250's there is no doubt that the field is deeper in the states.

I'm really glad the MXGP riders have really stepped it up because I really enjoy motocross so much more then supercross. The MXGP guys can ride a gnarly track and it's pretty awesome to watch.

Don't get me wrong, I like deathcross to, but 16 rounds of it and I just dream for the outdoors after about the 4th round.

Props to the MXGP riders as well as the U.S. motocross riders for putting on a great show and some incredible motos!!

Seems like a win win for motocross fans!
Husky360
7/31/2017 1:37pm
I don't understand why some of you guys just can't admit that GP and AMA top riders are all good. Any of them are capable of...
I don't understand why some of you guys just can't admit that GP and AMA top riders are all good. Any of them are capable of beating one another on any given day and track. It is really not that hard to figure out.

This has been argued to death here at Vital, and these threads should go immediately to the Dumbgeon, and morans starting them should be given a lengthy time-out.
I agree.
lucas-vh
7/31/2017 1:53pm Edited Date/Time 7/31/2017 1:54pm
LOL. Cairoli wasnt near the speed last year compared to this year. comparing the riders on a american track that Americans race x ride allot is pathetic. euros are way better on on certain tracks, Americans also way better on certain tracks. comparing riders like tomac, herlings,Cairoli though is pretty tough. comes down to the tracks.
philG
7/31/2017 2:13pm
cali11 wrote:
To make this fair pick top (Both classes) 3 AMA & GP riders. Pick 2 AMA tracks & 2 GP tracks. We get Marvin since he...
To make this fair pick top (Both classes) 3 AMA & GP riders. Pick 2 AMA tracks & 2 GP tracks. We get Marvin since he is a full on AMA rider. Let's face it, he is never going back to France. Then to settle score they race A1 & A2 SX track. Then you will see who has the fastest riders.
You dont get Marvin.. or Roczen or Reed or Pourcel or Ferrandis or Wilson ... you only have the 300 million people born there to pick from.. sorry.

early
Fantasy
2231st
7/31/2017 2:16pm
philG wrote:
You dont get Marvin.. or Roczen or Reed or Pourcel or Ferrandis or Wilson ... you only have the 300 million people born there to pick...
You dont get Marvin.. or Roczen or Reed or Pourcel or Ferrandis or Wilson ... you only have the 300 million people born there to pick from.. sorry.

So, is this AMA vs GP or USA vs The World?

peelout
7/31/2017 2:18pm
you can tell this is a shit thread because the way it is
7/31/2017 2:25pm
agn5009 wrote:

Yeah, I remember how outreagous Roczen lucked out in the title hunt last year... those euro clowns will never dominate in the nationals
7/31/2017 2:59pm
The GP guys ride motocross 12 months a year. Our guys ride MX about what 4-5 months a year?
TXDirt
7/31/2017 4:25pm
The GP guys ride motocross 12 months a year. Our guys ride MX about what 4-5 months a year?
It's been that way for like 30 years. That's not a recent development. The GP guys have closed the gap. That's just a fact.

Post a reply to: GP vs AMA

The Latest