GP tracks

Related:
Create New Tag

5/2/2018 7:37 AM

I know you guys probably discussed in the race thread but this track, the layout, the hills, off-cambers and conditions? Wow! Cool to watch!

|

Cheers, Crush
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

5/2/2018 7:50 AM
Edited Date/Time: 5/2/2018 7:51 AM

The track was fast

|

5/2/2018 8:20 AM

The track itself was pretty nice but it made for some boring races. Hard to make a difference on a track like that

|

5/2/2018 8:27 AM

wideopen198 wrote:

The track itself was pretty nice but it made for some boring races. Hard to make a difference on a track like that

Yeah was fun for a week but would quickly get old I think.

|

5/2/2018 3:01 PM

wideopen198 wrote:

Track prep is very important on such tracks. We've got one of the best qualification heats on the season, but on race day the track had to many ruts to have good racing. They should've smoothed things out a bit to create good racing.

|

5/2/2018 3:53 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/2/2018 4:05 PM

I noticed it had not one man made double? I like natural hills and jumps. I love when Malin says he’s looking a little tasty when herlings was getting early Pressure from Desalle

|

"Shifting gears and passing queers" GL

5/2/2018 4:21 PM

Bring back Namur, nuffsaid

|

“If you don’t crash alot, you just ain’t going fast enough” Chandler

5/2/2018 6:38 PM

That huge step down looked awesome! Fun layout with what looks to be horrible dirt.

|

2015 KTM 250sx, WP 48mm CV Forks, WP Trax Shock, Bills Pipe
2013 Chevy 2500 Duramax, 2014 Forest River XLR Nitro 28TQD bumper pull toy hauler

Instagram: @impalenthelen https://www.instagram.com/impalenthelen/
Youtube: Mitchell Thelen

5/2/2018 6:41 PM

Thelen20 wrote:

That huge step down looked awesome! Fun layout with what looks to be horrible dirt.

See I enjoy watching the pros ride horrible conditions. Watching them hunt for lines and traction is what MX used to be about... little track prep and bikes that weren't a good time. Cool to watch and definitely nice for a change, the GPs are so entertaining in that regard.

|

Cheers, Crush
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

5/2/2018 6:42 PM

Nuffsaid wrote:

Ya was watching some late 80s and early 90s vids from there. Crazy.

|

Cheers, Crush

5/2/2018 7:06 PM

Nuffsaid wrote:

Crush wrote:

Farleigh was awesome too . I know they still do the Vet mxdn there but it would be great if it still held a gp.

|

5/2/2018 7:12 PM

If you guys haven't watched the EMX300 races yet....I highly suggest watching those. They were good!

|

And there goes Jeffro. One of God's own prototypes. A super high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

Pimpin' Ho's , Rollin' fatty's......drinkin' beers , beers , beers!! ~ Ja

5/2/2018 7:21 PM

Nuffsaid wrote:

Crush wrote:

Whatch the MXoN at Namur, Young Reed was hauling that weekend. Pit Beier was killing it also. Everts was Everts and made it look like a walk in the park

|

“If you don’t crash alot, you just ain’t going fast enough” Chandler

5/2/2018 11:09 PM

Yeah, little to no passes at the front of the race. Same thing with GP of Mexico in León and GP of Switzerland. Everyone was going mad to have a GP of Switzerland on a man made track instead of a glooming terrain with natural obstacles. But the racing was close and tense, so everyone liked it.

Imo that's just because those few tracks are too "easy", at least for these riders. Same thing in León last year, the first six never changed places during the entire moto, but everything stayed together so it was called "close racing". Coming back from a bad start or crash is nigh impossible. Look at Gajser on Saturday, and Coldenhoff and Van Horebeek on Sunday.

Nothing against such tracks once in a while, but they don't have to become the standard for me.

|

5/3/2018 12:46 AM

maybe good track for spectators, but no spectators here

|

18 Yamaha YZ450F
94 Honda CR 500
90 Honda CR 500
81 Yamaha SR 500
68 BSA Thunderbolt
69 Triumph Tiger 100

5/3/2018 1:20 AM

A Fast track? - no doubt. Well, outdoors of most kinds are hellishly fast if you've been mostly watching the tiny little tracks that are SX.

Big, 'floater type jumps, everywhere? Yup. It seems the sport is all about jumps, nowadays. I wish it could be dialed back a bit, and we had the bikes in more contact with rough, rough ground.

Hard Pack, Rocks Galore? Hell yes! Good grief, the US Outdoors should have at least one, genuinely hard pack, rocky, track again.

That it is different to cookie cutter, deep ripped Chocolate Cake surface tracks? - thank F**k for that.

At least there's a w i d e variety of terrain in the GPs.

That I dislike the usage of 'pop up' tracks instead of some of the magnificent old(er) tracks - absobloodylutely. It will be interesting to see what Imola is like - pictures of the GPs years ago showed forest / tree sections, but I daresay it will be plonked down on the grass that I can see in the aerial pictures of Imola. I do hope I'm wrong.

Kegums next - I like it. Especially in it's 'sandier' years. It's the track I first got to ride an SXF350 oncool . And Riga is a very interesting town - a mix of ancient and modern. Even the 'aura of Kongols' has never spoiled the place for me w00t

|

5/3/2018 1:40 AM

I love how close they go to the edge of the track at some points. Especially that little nook Cairoli uses after the whoops

Photo

|

James = #7. Malcolm = #27
7/27=0.259259259259259259259
Stewart return confirmed!

5/3/2018 1:52 AM

I like the variety of track surfaces in the GP's.
There were some farkn' cool sections on that track!

|

5/3/2018 1:59 AM

Weird that Russia was regarded as a fast track. The average speed wasn’t that high (54 kph/33 mph for JH in moto two, which was slower than both Red Sand and Trentino) and there were more slow corners than I have seen at a GP for a long time.

I liked it because of the slow corners, steep hills and off cambers. A shame it didn’t produce more passing. But as I’ve said many times before, that’s simply down to corner design. Or lack of...

|

5/3/2018 2:27 AM

I liked it, though I agree that it could do with some work. But it had a definite "personality" which is more than you can say for something like Matterley.

|

5/3/2018 2:58 AM

Nuffsaid wrote:

Crush wrote:

Nuffsaid wrote:

Whatch the MXoN at Namur, Young Reed was hauling that weekend. Pit Beier was killing it also. Everts was Everts and made it look like a walk in the park

Have watched it 1000 times already Bro

|

Cheers, Crush

5/3/2018 5:20 AM

Derpin' DJ wrote:

I love how close they go to the edge of the track at some points. Especially that little nook Cairoli uses after the whoops

Photo

Yeah especially when he sees an orange fender appear next to him

|

5/3/2018 5:42 AM

Have a look at Paulin's helmet cam footage:

?ecver=2" width="513" height="360

Shows good, hard racing and riders - Herlings and Cairoli and The MX Panda! - going for it in every corner, every straight, every jump, with great lines .

And, you can see that both Cairoli's and Herling' rear wheels stepped towards each other (moreso Herlings) up that hill - yes, a bit of a close one, but, MX Track surfaces tend to be rough, and 450s at full noise do get somewhat 'loose'

I'm getting a bit sick and tired of a few here bleating about Cairoli being 'nasty' to Herlings. Hell, Herlings is lucky that he didn't get 'pinged' for going over the Acerbis markers, early on ( Cairoli did too). Nah, just highlighting / joking at the sort of 'snowflakeism' we are tending to see from various 'fanbois', in both MXGP and SX.

This sport ain't tiddly winks, boys
|

5/4/2018 2:09 AM

I agree the track could be tweaked in a few places to create more fast lines.

But this is where the GP's rise above all national series. There should & is a great variety of track type. Why should it always be easy to pass ? I take the view that cream will rise to the top over the wk end regardless. And if the fastest guys has a bad start then that's down to his bad start. Part of racing.

Also the top 20 in MXGP are all very very fast riders, 15th could run well inside top 10 in one moto & be 10 places back the next. When you have a group like that passing will happen less.

I say the track it in its development stage, tweak it in the corners, look at ways to open up some more lines, but on the whole it's a great track with great potential.

|

5/6/2018 7:06 AM
Edited Date/Time: 5/6/2018 7:08 AM

wideopen198 wrote:

MXMattii wrote:

Track prep is very important on such tracks. We've got one of the best qualification heats on the season, but on race day the track had to many ruts to have good racing. They should've smoothed things out a bit to create good racing.

I agree. Ruts restrict line options on tracks like that. No idea why they kept watering it, ruined the racing but nice to see some proper hard pack again. Not all tracks need to have ruts and grip, it allows other riders with different skills to excel on slick circuits with no ruts and forces the top riders to be good on every type of terrain.

|

Gatedrop.com

SX King MC
World MX King Everts
US MX/SX Goat RC

5/6/2018 7:28 AM

wideopen198 wrote:

MXMattii wrote:

mccread wrote:

I agree. Ruts restrict line options on tracks like that. No idea why they kept watering it, ruined the racing but nice to see some proper hard pack again. Not all tracks need to have ruts and grip, it allows other riders with different skills to excel on slick circuits with no ruts and forces the top riders to be good on every type of terrain.

That is why I'm pro, for local organizations to do the track prep. They know their track and how it works. Those Frenchies are damn great in prepping those real hard pack, blue groove tracks. Maybe use their knowledge.

|