GP announcing

zehn
4/16/2018 2:22pm
You're right, Emig has zero insight into our sport Blink
ruy
4/16/2018 2:26pm Edited Date/Time 4/16/2018 2:27pm
I do not like Malin 1º When he screams, because someone has fallen, he screams like a pig in the slaughter.
2º Then I do not like it sometimes because I understand that he does not respect the sport, when one does an unsportsmanlike action, sometimes he takes it as a joke, Maybe one day he would recived one punch to see if he jokes after.
Motoxdoc
4/16/2018 2:26pm Edited Date/Time 4/16/2018 2:29pm
mark293 wrote:
I never thought I would follow the GP's like I do now (at least not the way I did via magazine coverage in the late 70's...
I never thought I would follow the GP's like I do now (at least not the way I did via magazine coverage in the late 70's - early 80's), until Villo decided to run it. My question is why do we have 4 announcers for sx/mx (Ralph, Jeff, Daniel and Jenny) vs. just Malin in the GP's? Malin does an amazing job and sometimes doesn't even mind just shutting TFU so you can hear the bikes. No pet comments or meaningless banter, just good ole commentating. Reminds me of Lynn Nickerson.
Because it's that hard for one person to keep talking and keep listeners entertained and hold it all together.....and yes, Paul Malin IS that good! Don't forget about lovely Lisa though!....and on this side of the pond, you wouldn't want to kick talented Jenny to the curb, would you?
Shaned9326
4/16/2018 2:30pm
When Jeff did a few mxgps with Paul and the des nations he did decent job as I think Ralph has a lot to do with emigs miscues on sat nites!! As noted above tho Malin is next level as he is on point and literally keeps things real and exciting as well IMO!!

The Shop

mark293
4/16/2018 2:39pm
mark293 wrote:
I never thought I would follow the GP's like I do now (at least not the way I did via magazine coverage in the late 70's...
I never thought I would follow the GP's like I do now (at least not the way I did via magazine coverage in the late 70's - early 80's), until Villo decided to run it. My question is why do we have 4 announcers for sx/mx (Ralph, Jeff, Daniel and Jenny) vs. just Malin in the GP's? Malin does an amazing job and sometimes doesn't even mind just shutting TFU so you can hear the bikes. No pet comments or meaningless banter, just good ole commentating. Reminds me of Lynn Nickerson.
Motoxdoc wrote:
Because it's [i]that[/i] hard for one person to keep talking and keep listeners entertained and hold it all together.....and yes, Paul Malin IS [i]that[/i] good! Don't...
Because it's that hard for one person to keep talking and keep listeners entertained and hold it all together.....and yes, Paul Malin IS that good! Don't forget about lovely Lisa though!....and on this side of the pond, you wouldn't want to kick talented Jenny to the curb, would you?
Neva!
Trudare69
4/16/2018 3:56pm Edited Date/Time 4/16/2018 4:21pm
I agree Malin is currently the best out there but I still put David Bailey ahead of everyone.....would love to hear him back in the booth for the nationals alongside Ping.....
4/16/2018 4:12pm
Malin is my favorite announcer these days. I miss Bailey in the announce booth, too.
HuskyEd
4/16/2018 4:15pm
Being prepared and having done his homework for the racers, teams and tracks is another thing that makes Malin a pleasure to listen to.
DonM
4/16/2018 4:34pm
There is nothing better than when he gets frustrated when they don't show what he wants them to...He has gotten so much better over the last few years...
CMcBain
4/16/2018 4:35pm
I actually am almost to the point of muting supercross. Both Emig and Ralph talk nonstop about the championship and points and whatever useless shit they can come up. it seems like they're always playing catchup because they miss the action and then have to scream about something thats already happened. With Malin he is okay having a bit of comfortable silence to analyze and anticipate whats happening. Malins insight is awesome, I just don't understand why Ralph is there at all it would be so much better having someone who has some clue whats going on.
jemcee
4/16/2018 9:19pm Edited Date/Time 4/16/2018 9:21pm
Yep Malin rules, during the races my mate and I are constantly texting back and forth about the funny stuff he says whether he's trying to be funny or not haha he just seems like a bit of a goose that you just can't help but like haha

Malin, the motogp guys and the Speedway guys are all incredible and add to their broadcasts
shuggs
4/16/2018 9:34pm
Don’t get the drooling over Lisa?? As for Malin, think he does and incredible job for the time he is on air
jeffro503
4/16/2018 10:04pm
When it was malin and emig it was even solid.
You know what's weird? If you or anyone else would of asked if I like Emig or Making better in the booth....I would have said Emig.

Now? I honestly got bugged listening to Jeff talk over Paul. Kept cutting him off and just going on long rants. I did Jeff.....but I didn't like him in the booth with Malin.
jeffro503
4/16/2018 10:14pm
ruy wrote:
I do not like Malin 1º When he screams, because someone has fallen, he screams like a pig in the slaughter. 2º Then I do not...
I do not like Malin 1º When he screams, because someone has fallen, he screams like a pig in the slaughter.
2º Then I do not like it sometimes because I understand that he does not respect the sport, when one does an unsportsmanlike action, sometimes he takes it as a joke, Maybe one day he would recived one punch to see if he jokes after.
Settle down slick. Paul's yelling when someone goes down ( can be scary if you're not expecting it )......but it's actually something I dig. And then there is Ralph.....

" so n so just went down......it's now lap 3 , lets talk about the points if this is how the race ends.....what do you think Jeff? Daniel? Julianna?.......any one listening? Ok now for a monster commericial break , we'll be back on lap 19 after the 10 min long Toyota commercial.......I mean Make up too mud!!"
Shaned9326
4/16/2018 10:39pm
The man deserves much credit to being able to pronounce all the riders names correctly as I swear he seems to know all of them from the women’s race and going forward!! After listening to him do shows every weekend it’s almost impossible to listen to the fox crew whom talk about everything under the sun except what’s happening in the race and god forbid they catch one of the top riders in the sport going down while 1 second behind race leader!! Then never really even brought it up after cameras finally found him sitting on hay bales!! Iv3 here mailan get on those camera guys when they aren’t filming something that’s going down and that’s awesome for us fans as your guarentied to have a damn near flawless day of watching motocross and having a man telling you step by step what’s going on and makes it fun as well!! Every year the mxgp package is the best one hundred dollars I spend as it’s more racing than you can imagine and to top it off the des nations is included with it!! Although I think I’ll be at thus one in person this year!!
HenryA
4/16/2018 10:52pm
ruy wrote:
I do not like Malin 1º When he screams, because someone has fallen, he screams like a pig in the slaughter. 2º Then I do not...
He’s tuned down a bit these last couple of years when it comes to screaming but man...I totally agree with you on that point lol

He’s also very pro-euro, loves to point out that Covington, the AMERICAN, is in 24th Blink

Motoxdoc
4/16/2018 11:05pm
jemcee wrote:
Yep Malin rules, during the races my mate and I are constantly texting back and forth about the funny stuff he says whether he's trying to...
Yep Malin rules, during the races my mate and I are constantly texting back and forth about the funny stuff he says whether he's trying to be funny or not haha he just seems like a bit of a goose that you just can't help but like haha

Malin, the motogp guys and the Speedway guys are all incredible and add to their broadcasts
My bro and I laugh at his sayings all the time as well. I'm even starting to use them...."He's outta sorts!"....or "He's looking interested!" One that made me laugh hard was when one of the GP racers was in a podium position for the first time in a long while and he said, "It's been a while since he's sniffed the box!"
4/16/2018 11:31pm
ruy wrote:
HenryA wrote:
He’s tuned down a bit these last couple of years when it comes to screaming but man...I totally agree with you on that point lol He’s...
He’s tuned down a bit these last couple of years when it comes to screaming but man...I totally agree with you on that point lol

He’s also very pro-euro, loves to point out that Covington, the AMERICAN, is in 24th Blink

I think the only reason he would do that coz he knows that Covington is a front runner & shouldn't be near the back.
Cortami79
4/16/2018 11:37pm
Malin is amazing. And he can still ride too. A few years back I saw a clip of him riding a 125 of maxime reneaux at Dorno, he was absolutely flying. Just can't find the video anymore..
roninho
4/16/2018 11:41pm
Malin is great.
Just wish they would stop with these interview segments by lisa during the race (rider is in 3rd. Question to team manager: do you think he can keep up? Answer: i hope so).

And i dont like it when they add one time unexperienced co-commentators like Sanaye recently.
I like a 2nd experienced commentator like Emig (yes he's ok during gps imo) or Wheeler. But not an inexperienced one.
jemcee
4/17/2018 12:13am
jemcee wrote:
Yep Malin rules, during the races my mate and I are constantly texting back and forth about the funny stuff he says whether he's trying to...

Motoxdoc wrote:
My bro and I laugh at his sayings all the time as well. I'm even starting to use them...."He's outta sorts!"....or "He's looking interested!" One that...
My bro and I laugh at his sayings all the time as well. I'm even starting to use them...."He's outta sorts!"....or "He's looking interested!" One that made me laugh hard was when one of the GP racers was in a podium position for the first time in a long while and he said, "It's been a while since he's sniffed the box!"
hahaha you'll see my post has an "edited" on it?! that's cause I was gonna mention that exact quote haha I've got a vid of it on my phone! He fully pauses haha "It's been a while since he's... sniffed the box" haha

One we've started using is describing the assorted doors a rider can go out despite there being a lack of any doors on a motorbike haha
jemcee
4/17/2018 12:29am
Oh also I've heard the whole time they're commentating there's someone speaking Italian in their headphones the WHOLE time haha
Robgvx
4/17/2018 12:47am
jemcee wrote:
Oh also I've heard the whole time they're commentating there's someone speaking Italian in their headphones the WHOLE time haha
That’s correct. Countdowns for Ad breaks, edit points, replays etc.
ATKpilot99
4/17/2018 4:22am
Malin is informative, insightful and entertaining. He's the best out there right now.
philG
4/17/2018 4:32am
Malin commentates now for the Live Feed on MXGPTV and they have no breaks, Motors just cuts in and out as they please now, but yes , you have the director in your ears too, I have done Freecaster stuff, and its harder than you think.

Listening to the Nationals on the Internet feed , Top Jimmy and the other guy introduce the riders , one each. Jimmy does it as you should , the other guy like its a WWE top billing event.. I have to mute between races.
chillrich
4/17/2018 6:23am
Thought Saneye(sp?) did an awesome job, some good insight for a newb
Beeby
4/17/2018 7:37am
It is good to see the tide turn on the commentating too. I feel like when more US viewers started watching the GP's it took a little time for people to warm to Malin,

He was a decent rider in his time too, has kept close to the sport and it comes across that he is a real enthusiast.

My only thing I don't get is that he announces most riders names as last name and then he says Thomas Kjer Olsen in full every single time, why is that?! I wonder if it is because he has a double last name and Paul forgets if it is first or last name!
TimR
4/17/2018 11:54am
Yep Malin is awesome. Actually Emig was also good when he did a few gps with Malin last year.

I never listen to what Ralph and Emig has to say at the SX anymore thought.

Post a reply to: GP announcing

The Latest