GP Rumors -> MX2 Teams closing their doors

Related:
Create New Tag

9/13/2017 5:14 AM
Edited Date/Time: 9/13/2017 5:32 AM

A few sources are reporting that Suzuki shut down their MX2 effort in the World Championship.
Honda will probably follow this trend.

Kawasaki "announced" it already that they are stopping their MX2 effort.

But where are all their riders going to end?

Hunter Lawrence is already linked to GEICO Honda
(Expected a move to the US in 2019)

Free Agents:
- Zachary Pichon
- Bas Vaessen
- Petr Petrov
- Adam Sterry

EDIT: http://gatedrop.com/rumour-suzuki-follow-kawasaki-mx2/
http://www.speedweek.com/mx2/news/115785/Desaster-Suzuki-World-sperrt-MX2-Team-zu.html

|

9/13/2017 5:47 AM

If you can't beat ktm, quit?

|

9/13/2017 5:47 AM

I think we will start discussing this if/when we hear the official press release's. I can't believe that there just not going to run a Mx2 team at all.

|

9/13/2017 6:13 AM
Edited Date/Time: 9/13/2017 6:16 AM

Suzuki aren't going anywhere I don't think, I know they have been talking to riders about next year.

KRT are not running an MX2 team, that's a fact

I've not heard anything about Honda, but with a brand new CR250F out I would be absolutely shocked if they didn't run a team

|

9/13/2017 6:15 AM
Edited Date/Time: 9/13/2017 6:15 AM

To be honest, I don't think any of those riders (bar Petar Petrov) would end up on a factory team any how

*and Lawrence

|

Braaaaaaaap!!

9/13/2017 6:21 AM
Edited Date/Time: 9/13/2017 6:25 AM

es337 wrote:

Seems this way....

I can't believe Kawasaki won't have a factory supported team, perhaps a team like DRT will take over the role of KRT or somthing like that.

I agree with RG1 regarding the Honda they need to buck up their ideas with their MX2 outfit it's pretty awful at the moment.

|

9/13/2017 6:22 AM

Maybe because EMX250 is draining resources?

|

9/13/2017 6:34 AM

ehr400 wrote:

If that was the case they would just stop doing EMX250. I don't see how EMX250 would be a problem financially. The bikes are the same and the races are in the same place

|

9/13/2017 6:37 AM

Might be that they hold it for 1-2 years while recruiting younger riders from EMX and waiting for them to become MX2 capable riders.

With Husky and KTM sweeping the winns, i doubt having no MX2 team make a huge difference in their sales of bikes. Not like they been getting a lot of exposure this year, and if they do, what does it say when they are not able to be a top 5 frequently because there is no capable riders? Risk is that people interpret that as bikes being weak.

As a vendor they are represented in US, and people in Europe that are interested follow AMA as much as MXGP i would think.

|

9/13/2017 6:37 AM

Factories moving resources to new 2 stroke development? devil

|

9/13/2017 6:39 AM

ehr400 wrote:

RG1 wrote:

If that was the case they would just stop doing EMX250. I don't see how EMX250 would be a problem financially. The bikes are the same and the races are in the same place

Exactly, so why pay for double when you can do one or the other?

|

9/13/2017 6:40 AM

early wrote:

Factories moving resources to new 2 stroke development? devil

^^^^^^^ this w00t

|

9/13/2017 6:40 AM

It really looks like Suzuki is quitting. Haven't heard anything about Honda.
I believe Motoverte wrote that it's possible that Hunter Lawrence could ride for Honda MX2 next season before his move to Geico in 2019.

It's crazy, and there are like 10 guys moving up from EMX250, probably even more... Where are they all going?

IF it really happens that Suzuki, Kawi and Honda won't field an MX2 team next year, how many riders will there be on the line in Quatar? Prado Jonass and two Yamaha guys?

|

9/13/2017 6:48 AM
Edited Date/Time: 9/13/2017 6:50 AM

crusty_xx wrote:

I believe Motoverte wrote that it's possible that Hunter Lawrence could ride for Honda MX2 next season before his move to Geico in 2019.

It's crazy, and there are like 10 guys moving up from EMX250, probably even more... Where are they all going?

IF it really happens that Suzuki, Kawi and Honda won't field an MX2 team next year, how many riders will there be on the line in Quatar? Prado Jonass and two Yamaha guys?

I wrote it before but some of these riders could go to USA. Do the West coast SX rounds and the outdoors if they can find support/budget for it.

The fact is that there are no good 250 rides in the GPs. I think that going the privateer route in US would be a decent option.

And what about some of the riders in EMX 250 that are around the top 10? There are some really good guys that have no future in the GPs unless they step it up big time and get a ride in MX2.

|

9/13/2017 6:51 AM

Looked now, Honda 11 and Kawi 12 in the points in the championship. Not even a podium or top 5 this year? Not a lot of exposure, but a shitload of money spent.

Better take that MX2 budget, spend it on EMX and contract some promising riders to then continue with in MX2 and at least have the possibility to put some riders on podium.

|

9/13/2017 6:53 AM

aees wrote:

Looked now, Honda 11 and Kawi 12 in the points in the championship. Not even a podium or top 5 this year? Not a lot of exposure, but a shitload of money spent.

Better take that MX2 budget, spend it on EMX and contract some promising riders to then continue with in MX2 and at least have the possibility to put some riders on podium.

Well that is Hondas own fault. Their MX2 effort has been a complete shitshow for years.

Kawasaki on the other hand... They had Ferrandis but he couldn't win the title. That was their shot.

|

9/13/2017 6:53 AM
Edited Date/Time: 9/13/2017 6:55 AM

The business model of running younger developing riders on machines that cost twice as much to maintain, rev much higher, and can run the same lap times as the premier class bikes if seriously flawed.

Likewise the concept that manufacturer's should pay for the majority of a race team's existence in a bike sales market that is a fraction of it's former self is unsustainable.

A larger displacement would make much more financial sense. So would hiring riders from the US circuit so you could get some notable results for your sponsor.

The problem is not the teams, it's the sport not prospering. Heaven forbid someone make any real changes like 2 strokes, electric bikes and open machine choices.

|

2015 Beta 500 RS, history: 99 KTM 300, 87 CR250, 84 KLR 600, 82 GPZ 550, 81 KX 250, 80 KX 250, 79 Montesa 414 VE, 78 250 VB, 77 360 VB, 76 360 VA, 75 YZ 125, 74 TM 125, 72 TS 125, 60's West Bend Go Boy Kart

9/13/2017 6:54 AM

crusty_xx wrote:

Motofinne wrote:

I wrote it before but some of these riders could go to USA. Do the West coast SX rounds and the outdoors if they can find support/budget for it.

The fact is that there are no good 250 rides in the GPs. I think that going the privateer route in US would be a decent option.

And what about some of the riders in EMX 250 that are around the top 10? There are some really good guys that have no future in the GPs unless they step it up big time and get a ride in MX2.

How many would get support from a team, riding AMA SX first year with so many riders out of contract already in US. Those Euro-riders would hardly make it to the A-group in 250 supercross. Look at someone like Freddy Noren, rode 2 years of Arenacross, looked like a newbie first 2 years in Supercross. Now he is on 3 year and starting to look get top 10.

Supercross is not easy.

|

9/13/2017 7:00 AM
Edited Date/Time: 9/13/2017 7:01 AM

crusty_xx wrote:

Motofinne wrote:

aees wrote:

How many would get support from a team, riding AMA SX first year with so many riders out of contract already in US. Those Euro-riders would hardly make it to the A-group in 250 supercross. Look at someone like Freddy Noren, rode 2 years of Arenacross, looked like a newbie first 2 years in Supercross. Now he is on 3 year and starting to look get top 10.

Supercross is not easy.

Yeah some would not make it but i'm sure that some would be good enough. I still think it would be worth the risk. Move California and one of the MX holiday/trip guys place, make a 10 month deal with them and bet on yourself.

The chances of making it in Europe is slimmer than in US because of the 23 year old rule. Some of these dudes are showing promise when they are 19, 20, 21 year old but then they notice that "fuck, 2 years and i'm done in this class".

|

9/13/2017 7:04 AM

I hear Honda will run under the HSF banner after Standing Construct KTM makes a return next year, and Suzuki will be continuing with their current structure but with some changes. Kawasaki will also have an MX2 team, the previous one wasnt KRT but CLS and its the team thats closed its doors, not the manufacturer

|

9/13/2017 7:07 AM

The whole idea of a stepping stone, from EMX 125 to 250 to MX2 to MXGP is great in practice, but there are too many riders chasing too few rides with too little money. IMO , sack off EMX 250, and make guys qualify for MX2 Gp's like the old days, and run EMX125 at the European only races...

Seems pointless to run a guy through EMX125 and 250 , to not be able to offer a ride in MX2 because you don't have a team.

Everts has no budget, that's half the problem, unless he gets a proper title sponsor with $$ that is always going to be the case .

|

9/13/2017 7:48 AM

Drop the EMX 250, combine it with MX2, with any rider not wanting to race a 250 four stroke, they can ride a 2 stroke in the EMX 300

|

9/13/2017 8:10 AM

philG wrote:

The whole idea of a stepping stone, from EMX 125 to 250 to MX2 to MXGP is great in practice, but there are too many riders chasing too few rides with too little money. IMO , sack off EMX 250, and make guys qualify for MX2 Gp's like the old days, and run EMX125 at the European only races...

Seems pointless to run a guy through EMX125 and 250 , to not be able to offer a ride in MX2 because you don't have a team.

Everts has no budget, that's half the problem, unless he gets a proper title sponsor with $$ that is always going to be the case .

This sounds like a reasonable idea. EMX 250 always have full gates and sometimes even over subscribed.

The trouble with this is that the age rule spoils it for most riders,by the time they are up to speed and at the front of MX2 (like Patural and Lieber) it's time to move into the MXGP where they are lucky to get a ride and end up like Guillod and Tixier struggling to make top 15.

|

9/13/2017 8:12 AM

es337 wrote:

Rowlands wrote:

Seems this way....

I can't believe Kawasaki won't have a factory supported team, perhaps a team like DRT will take over the role of KRT or somthing like that.

I agree with RG1 regarding the Honda they need to buck up their ideas with their MX2 outfit it's pretty awful at the moment.

Suzuki has pulled out of the "small bike" class before, even when they were dominant. They pulled out after winning 10 World Championships in a row, so it's not always easy to figure out why they are doing these things.

|

9/13/2017 8:14 AM

If I'm someone like Adam Sterry and have no ride in the GPs for 2018, I'm looking at Canada and Australia. I'm looking at the ADAC SX series. I'm looking at WEC (ala Davide Guaneri and many others). If you aren't consistently cracking top 10s in the GPs (arguably the most expensive series to contest), it's time to get your hustle on. Rodney Smith raced Brazilian National motocross when his options ran out elsewhere. He parlayed that into a GP ride and later a successful GNCC career. You gotta be willing to hustle a little bit. That's just my opinion. I'm obviously not a professional mx racer.

|

9/13/2017 8:24 AM

mx_563 wrote:

If I'm someone like Adam Sterry and have no ride in the GPs for 2018, I'm looking at Canada and Australia. I'm looking at the ADAC SX series. I'm looking at WEC (ala Davide Guaneri and many others). If you aren't consistently cracking top 10s in the GPs (arguably the most expensive series to contest), it's time to get your hustle on. Rodney Smith raced Brazilian National motocross when his options ran out elsewhere. He parlayed that into a GP ride and later a successful GNCC career. You gotta be willing to hustle a little bit. That's just my opinion. I'm obviously not a professional mx racer.

Think Adam Sterry actually mentioned doing this sort of thing in an MX Vice interview recently. Inspired by Dean Wilson, maybe even British Championship but I'm not certain. Kinda similar to what Steven Clarke does.

|

9/13/2017 8:36 AM

I'm wondering if Giuseppi slides nervously back and forth on his seat.

|

9/13/2017 9:26 AM

Johnny Depp wrote:

The business model of running younger developing riders on machines that cost twice as much to maintain, rev much higher, and can run the same lap times as the premier class bikes if seriously flawed.

Likewise the concept that manufacturer's should pay for the majority of a race team's existence in a bike sales market that is a fraction of it's former self is unsustainable.

A larger displacement would make much more financial sense. So would hiring riders from the US circuit so you could get some notable results for your sponsor.

The problem is not the teams, it's the sport not prospering. Heaven forbid someone make any real changes like 2 strokes, electric bikes and open machine choices.

Lol, could you imagine if it cost more to operate an F2 team than a F1 team and the engines blew up more often than a Honda? laughing

|

9/13/2017 9:29 AM

Neo78 wrote:

Drop the EMX 250, combine it with MX2, with any rider not wanting to race a 250 four stroke, they can ride a 2 stroke in the EMX 300

Right. Drop EMX250 and make MX2 a World Championship and European Championship (like the old World Supercross days).

|

9/13/2017 10:00 AM
Edited Date/Time: 9/13/2017 5:24 PM

Very sad but not surprising considering Youthstream schedules so many fly-away races. The shipping & travel costs must be horrendous. A situation made worse by Youthstream selling team slots so they can race their series, you can't just create a team and show up for the whole season. You have to pay Youthstream to form a team.

Not to forget Youthstream stopped paying any money to the teams for expenses. They do the whole series on their own budget now.

|