GNCC drops UTV's and expands to 12 rounds

Johnny Depp
Edited Date/Time 9/9/2018 9:31am
Anyone know the story behind this? It says it is no longer feasible to include it in the program, so I assume that means a time constraint? Lack of entries?

https://gnccracing.com/2018/09/07/competition-bulletin-2018-9-final-gnc…

"it is no longer feasible to include UTV racing over the course of a GNCC race weekend. For 2019, GNCC Racing will expand the micro program to 12 rounds."

Micro program? I assume they mean the 9 currently?
|
dcg141
9/8/2018 7:29am
Could not secure Budweiser as a sponsor.
imissrc
9/8/2018 7:52am
The Micro's is the little ones on the 50 cc bikes and 4 wheelers,
they do 6 rounds now (2018)

They started "closing" the woods for spectators during the UTV races, so
my thoughts are they end it now before someone gets run over.
resetjet
9/8/2018 7:56am
side by sides have big motors and tear up ground like nothing you have ever seen. The property owners don't like it. Just not worth it for the ROI. Quads not much better. 100 quads in one race equals 600 bikes in two.
Johnny Depp
9/8/2018 8:17am Edited Date/Time 9/8/2018 8:19am
resetjet wrote:
side by sides have big motors and tear up ground like nothing you have ever seen. The property owners don't like it. Just not worth it...
side by sides have big motors and tear up ground like nothing you have ever seen. The property owners don't like it. Just not worth it for the ROI. Quads not much better. 100 quads in one race equals 600 bikes in two.
Seems like a great way to "establish" the track before the bikes hit it, kind of grooms it and defines the outlines and turn up the dirt. Most of those tracks are only used once a year, and the dirt doesn't disappear, so it's hard to imagine that is the reason? It does work that would otherwise require a tractor.

One of the things that makes GNCC so popular is that the tracks are wide enough to have some racing room and not single track through the trees with bark busters all day.

The Shop

dcg141
9/8/2018 9:04am
UTV owners are responsible for getting more riding areas shut down than any other group. Not sure why they dropped them but it does not hurt my feelings.
imoto34
Fantasy
3174th
9/8/2018 9:43am
dcg141 wrote:
UTV owners are responsible for getting more riding areas shut down than any other group. Not sure why they dropped them but it does not hurt...
UTV owners are responsible for getting more riding areas shut down than any other group. Not sure why they dropped them but it does not hurt my feelings.
Can second this. I got a rzr sport the year they came out and watched the local trails change like never before. You just want to all ways wfo the fun lite bastards and that along with constant body drag, lots of ground gets moved.
ML512
Fantasy
45th
9/8/2018 10:03am
resetjet wrote:
side by sides have big motors and tear up ground like nothing you have ever seen. The property owners don't like it. Just not worth it...
Seems like a great way to "establish" the track before the bikes hit it, kind of grooms it and defines the outlines and turn up the...
Seems like a great way to "establish" the track before the bikes hit it, kind of grooms it and defines the outlines and turn up the dirt. Most of those tracks are only used once a year, and the dirt doesn't disappear, so it's hard to imagine that is the reason? It does work that would otherwise require a tractor.

One of the things that makes GNCC so popular is that the tracks are wide enough to have some racing room and not single track through the trees with bark busters all day.
It doesn’t really turn up the dirt, it packs it in more and having raced off road races out here on West Coast that shared sections with quads/UTVs...I personally thought it was awful what they did to the course.
Johnny Depp
9/8/2018 10:18am Edited Date/Time 9/8/2018 10:23am
I'm seeing some insiders on Facebook mentioning safety as the reason. With the previous post mentioning spectators not allowed on the course I'm assuming something like the Rally car races where spectators get hit. There may also be more "redneck's" that drink too much attracted to them as spectators?

I expect DC to drop in and enlighten us. Let's be clear, MX Sports was the 1st and most avid supporter of 4 wheelers, and many owe a debt of gratitude for the tremendous effort in sweat, blood and treasure that they have poured into this segment of the sport, when other's wouldn't.

I'm sure other promoters could learn from their experience if they are willing to share the it. MX Sports is at the top of Powersports promoters in the world, and if they can't make it work who can?
imoto34
Fantasy
3174th
9/8/2018 10:54am
resetjet wrote:
Seems like a great way to "establish" the track before the bikes hit it, kind of grooms it and defines the outlines and turn up the...

ML512 wrote:
It doesn’t really turn up the dirt, it packs it in more and having raced off road races out here on West Coast that shared sections...
It doesn’t really turn up the dirt, it packs it in more and having raced off road races out here on West Coast that shared sections with quads/UTVs...I personally thought it was awful what they did to the course.
It's different in the south east. With all the steep elevation, they spinning a bunch and most all the trails around have the bike lines, jeep lines and then rutted out side by side lines. Sure the about always wet woods outside the summer months has a major play in this.
Alec138
9/8/2018 10:57am
imissrc wrote:
The Micro's is the little ones on the 50 cc bikes and 4 wheelers, they do 6 rounds now (2018) They started "closing" the woods for...
The Micro's is the little ones on the 50 cc bikes and 4 wheelers,
they do 6 rounds now (2018)

They started "closing" the woods for spectators during the UTV races, so
my thoughts are they end it now before someone gets run over.
Exactly. Read about this via their facebook page. I have not been to a GNCC in a few years but based on when I did go and they would run SxS’s, they were very dangerous to be around in the woods. It was only a matter of time before they did away with it anyways as the whole “fun” factor of GNCCs are to walk the track and climb up stuff to get good views of stuff.
navalseabee
9/8/2018 11:13am
I personally hate riding races after the quads have been out. They're absolutely hell on property, I can't imagine how much worse it would be with double the HP and weight.
harescrambled
Fantasy
1942nd
9/8/2018 11:53am
Anyone know the story behind this? It says it is no longer feasible to include it in the program, so I assume that means a time...
Anyone know the story behind this? It says it is no longer feasible to include it in the program, so I assume that means a time constraint? Lack of entries?

https://gnccracing.com/2018/09/07/competition-bulletin-2018-9-final-gnc…

"it is no longer feasible to include UTV racing over the course of a GNCC race weekend. For 2019, GNCC Racing will expand the micro program to 12 rounds."

Micro program? I assume they mean the 9 currently?
I heard that last year a spectator was injured during a UTV event, and sued everyone connected to the event, which is why the course is closed to spectators this year, and there are slow speed zones where the track runs very close to spectator areas. The post I read regarding GNCC dropping the UTVs from the program said that their insurance will be requiring a "permanent barrier" all around the course for UTV's...which simply isn't possible.

As I understand it, DC isn't involved in the day to day with GNCC, but if he has any info that's different from what I've been told, it'd be cool to hear it. Also if I've mis-stated anything, a correction would be appreciated.

If what I heard is true, so much for waivers, good judgement, and personal accountability. Also score another one for the lawyers.

Lastly, I highly doubt that damage to the land is a motivating factor...after every event, GNCC does a ton of rehab work on the properties.,
Titan1
9/8/2018 12:36pm
UTV’s are getting public riding areas closed like crazy...now every redneck with access to a bank willing to give them a $25k Loan are out in the desert pretending they are in th Baja 1000. No trail is to small (single track) or Hill off limits to their turbo charged horsepower tearing it all up.

I hate those things...and I wish they’d go away.
ebers
Fantasy
174th
9/8/2018 12:45pm
It’s been a couple years since I’ve raced the series, but I remember in ‘15 there were two different races where a UTV went up in flames. They just seem plain dangerous to me. They did have some guys with some nice rigs though, wasn’t entirely a redneck deal.
I don’t know if the track will be any different on Sunday’s though for bikes, the quads push that dirt out way before the UTV’s do, in my opinion.
TeamGreen
9/8/2018 12:58pm
I find this to be totally intolerant and non-inclusive.
Quad-riders and UTV riders/drivers are people, too.
Not that there's anything wrong with that!
GrinningSilly
Johnny Depp
9/8/2018 1:02pm
Titan1 wrote:
UTV’s are getting public riding areas closed like crazy...now every redneck with access to a bank willing to give them a $25k Loan are out in...
UTV’s are getting public riding areas closed like crazy...now every redneck with access to a bank willing to give them a $25k Loan are out in the desert pretending they are in th Baja 1000. No trail is to small (single track) or Hill off limits to their turbo charged horsepower tearing it all up.

If they go away so will a lot of powersports dealers.

My problem with them is the noise, some of them are way beyond reasonable. I don't believe anyone should be locked out of public land, dirt bikes included.
BR8ES
9/8/2018 1:27pm
Titan1 wrote:
UTV’s are getting public riding areas closed like crazy...now every redneck with access to a bank willing to give them a $25k Loan are out in...

If they go away so will a lot of powersports dealers. My problem with them is the noise, some of them are way beyond reasonable. I...

My problem with them is the noise, some of them are way beyond reasonable. I don't believe anyone should be locked out of public land, dirt bikes included.
And what are those powersports dealers doing for the bigger picture? Or dirt bikers? Just selling units doesn't equate to keeping land open.

Agree on the noise though, that bleeds over to us.
Doddy
9/8/2018 1:28pm
Titan1 wrote:

If they go away so will a lot of powersports dealers. My problem with them is the noise, some of them are way beyond reasonable. I...

My concern is I can't ride some areas now out of fear some drunk asshole in a cage is going to kill me. I also have no desire to race on a course after them. They don't seem to have much of a concern of wadding up themselves or others around them.......I on the other hand don't care for pain that much. I too wish they would go away.
Johnny Depp
9/8/2018 2:03pm Edited Date/Time 9/8/2018 2:19pm
Titan1 wrote:

BR8ES wrote:
And what are those powersports dealers doing for the bigger picture? Or dirt bikers? Just selling units doesn't equate to keeping land open. Agree on the...
And what are those powersports dealers doing for the bigger picture? Or dirt bikers? Just selling units doesn't equate to keeping land open.

If your powersports dealer is sells Yamaha, they are doing a lot for dirt bikers. Lots of Austrian and Euro bike dealers also sell UTV's and watercraft and marine (even CHINESE product) to pay the bills.

There is (and always has been) a lot of animosity toward 4 wheelers around here (and we aren't even talking jeeps and trucks yet). Motocross tracks are one thing, but when you get into the outdoors, unless you want to double or triple your entry fees, others should be welcomed to spread the expense of running events around.

We have a local place that makes WAY more money off of Jeeps and 4 wheelers than 2 wheelers, but they do have areas for only 2 wheelers (single track). 2 Wheelers are NOT restricted from the other areas but it gets extreme going after the Jeeps for sure. Once you start going up the hills, it is almost impossible to turn around, you have to be committed to 3-4 ft limestone ledges, and it is scary, and novices need to stay the f**k off of those hills. Everybody gets along. 240 miles of trails and 3000 private acres. The largest in Texas.

http://www.hiddenfallsadventurepark.com/

BR8ES
9/8/2018 2:29pm

BR8ES wrote:
And what are those powersports dealers doing for the bigger picture? Or dirt bikers? Just selling units doesn't equate to keeping land open. Agree on the...

If your powersports dealer is sells Yamaha, they are doing a lot for dirt bikers. Lots of Austrian and Euro bike dealers also sell UTV's and...
If your powersports dealer is sells Yamaha, they are doing a lot for dirt bikers. Lots of Austrian and Euro bike dealers also sell UTV's and watercraft and marine (even CHINESE product) to pay the bills.

There is (and always has been) a lot of animosity toward 4 wheelers around here (and we aren't even talking jeeps and trucks yet). Motocross tracks are one thing, but when you get into the outdoors, unless you want to double or triple your entry fees, others should be welcomed to spread the expense of running events around.

We have a local place that makes WAY more money off of Jeeps and 4 wheelers than 2 wheelers, but they do have areas for only 2 wheelers (single track). 2 Wheelers are NOT restricted from the other areas but it gets extreme going after the Jeeps for sure. Once you start going up the hills, it is almost impossible to turn around, you have to be committed to 3-4 ft limestone ledges, and it is scary, and novices need to stay the f**k off of those hills. Everybody gets along. 240 miles of trails and 3000 private acres. The largest in Texas.

http://www.hiddenfallsadventurepark.com/

What is lots for a dealer that would rather sell a UTV or street bike, but begrudgingly sells dirt bikes? Be nice to know what that means and you can't deny the damage these people are doing.
WTaylor7
9/8/2018 3:24pm
As a GNCC insider it is all due to insurance being to crazy
Johnny Depp
9/8/2018 3:37pm Edited Date/Time 9/8/2018 3:42pm
For 15 years GNCC has grown with huge entries and now are expanding the series, in spite of ATV's and UTV's using the same track. It doesn't look like too many people were worried about a beat up track.

Insurance companies have allowed some latitude for "off road" events, although for MX tracks insurance has always required spectators to be 30ft. from the track behind a fence for the last 40 years or so. It appears some of that "latitude" for off roading is being reeled in.
harescrambled
Fantasy
1942nd
9/8/2018 5:30pm
The UTV's did not run the same trackas the bikes/quads...they shared some sections but the UTV course was abbreviated
resetjet
9/8/2018 6:35pm

ML512 wrote:
It doesn’t really turn up the dirt, it packs it in more and having raced off road races out here on West Coast that shared sections...
imoto34 wrote:
It's different in the south east. With all the steep elevation, they spinning a bunch and most all the trails around have the bike lines, jeep...
It's different in the south east. With all the steep elevation, they spinning a bunch and most all the trails around have the bike lines, jeep lines and then rutted out side by side lines. Sure the about always wet woods outside the summer months has a major play in this.
Well that is exactly it. Where GNCC races take places its not like out west at all. You should have seen the property in FL about 4 years ago after a good mudder. There is no Rehabbing that. They rent land for the GNCC's from landowners which don't like seeing their stuff get trashed.

As stated above insurance is an issue, recently K&K, the insurance company that was writing most of the insurance in this country for these type of events has backed off and they won't cover the camping/spectator part at all which has led most groups to go to AMA events in order to secure insurance. Of course the AMA is for motorcycles. While they cover the quads, not sure if they will cover UTV's which can have more then one passenger, etc......

When the side by sides started out they were simple machines, way less destructive then the quads. Now they are full blown dune buggies. It is a different world. If they ever get street legal we have a big problem on our hands, if they can go into state and national lands just like any car, it will spell disaster.

In the end, I don't think anybody but the UTV owners will be sad to see them go. I for will not. I race HS after quads in Florida and it really sucks. Two trenches to choose from a foot deep right down to the roots.

Big Tex27
9/8/2018 9:13pm
A local series in Texas runs MC,ATV & UTV. I can say one thing is the people that race utv have some deep pockets. You could have 2 full blown race bikes for the cost of one of those. I would assume dealers probably make more off of those than that they do bikes. When people break those it is usually not a small problem.. one dude that races those is our series has someone take his motorhome and trailer to the races and flys in on his provate helicopter. They bring big money into a series. Which in the end is what it l boils down to.
SteezGeez
Fantasy
476th
9/8/2018 9:24pm
Titan1 wrote:

BR8ES wrote:

I don't think UTV's are any louder than bikes. All the bikes I've been around are louder than UTV's stock amazingly. I have a new Can Am X3 and my KX450f was way louder than the UTV.
Doddy
9/9/2018 2:03am
ML512 wrote:
imoto34 wrote:
It's different in the south east. With all the steep elevation, they spinning a bunch and most all the trails around have the bike lines, jeep...
resetjet wrote:
Well that is exactly it. Where GNCC races take places its not like out west at all. You should have seen the property in FL about...
Well that is exactly it. Where GNCC races take places its not like out west at all. You should have seen the property in FL about 4 years ago after a good mudder. There is no Rehabbing that. They rent land for the GNCC's from landowners which don't like seeing their stuff get trashed.

As stated above insurance is an issue, recently K&K, the insurance company that was writing most of the insurance in this country for these type of events has backed off and they won't cover the camping/spectator part at all which has led most groups to go to AMA events in order to secure insurance. Of course the AMA is for motorcycles. While they cover the quads, not sure if they will cover UTV's which can have more then one passenger, etc......

When the side by sides started out they were simple machines, way less destructive then the quads. Now they are full blown dune buggies. It is a different world. If they ever get street legal we have a big problem on our hands, if they can go into state and national lands just like any car, it will spell disaster.

In the end, I don't think anybody but the UTV owners will be sad to see them go. I for will not. I race HS after quads in Florida and it really sucks. Two trenches to choose from a foot deep right down to the roots.

Here in Washington some cities allow it(if not the state?). I know of 2 people that have plates for the street. They look like motorcycle ones to me. I have seen others on the streets in Marysville, Mukilteo, and out farther in the sticks. Don't see them that often, but when I do it's hard to miss. My parents in Nevada also tell me they are legal and fairly common. All I know is out on the street......my cage is bigger Evil
resetjet
9/9/2018 3:32am
imoto34 wrote:
resetjet wrote:
Well that is exactly it. Where GNCC races take places its not like out west at all. You should have seen the property in FL about...

Doddy wrote:
Here in Washington some cities allow it(if not the state?). I know of 2 people that have plates for the street. They look like motorcycle ones...
Here in Washington some cities allow it(if not the state?). I know of 2 people that have plates for the street. They look like motorcycle ones to me. I have seen others on the streets in Marysville, Mukilteo, and out farther in the sticks. Don't see them that often, but when I do it's hard to miss. My parents in Nevada also tell me they are legal and fairly common. All I know is out on the street......my cage is bigger Evil
Thats just it. In fl back in the day we had alot of dune buggies that were street legal and of course 4x4’s. This allowed them legal access to areas that were not orv, where any car or jeep could go. Hard for a cop to bust someone in a street legal vehicle. So florida passed a law that any vehicle street legal or not 2 wheel or 4 if being operated offroad is considered an offroad vehicle and offroad vehicles can only be operated in designated areas. This severely restricts any type of free riding and allows them to “close” and enforce 90% of riding areas. The 10% left you dont wanna ride. If these street legal side by sides proliferate this will cause other states to pass similar laws.
DC
9/9/2018 7:38am Edited Date/Time 9/9/2018 7:39am
It was a combination of things, many of which were correctly mentioned above, including the changing insurance market. But in the whole big scheme of things we produce motorcycle- and ATV-events, and a UTV is much more like a small car than a dirt bike. They really didn't fit well with all that we do on any given weekend GNCC. Electric Assist mountain bikes, on the other hand, are much more like a motorcycle than a car and fit well with our existing disciplines and the way a whole GNCC is produced with the spectators often able to roam the courses and woods.

DC
Racer X

Post a reply to: GNCC drops UTV's and expands to 12 rounds

The Latest