GEICO Powersports Honda Adds Alex Martin for Millville

Related:
Create New Tag

7/8/2009 4:39 PM

Corona, Cal. – With the injury of top 250 rider Trey Canard at the High Point National, and with the WMA not picking back up until the Washougal round of the championship, the GEICO Powersports Honda team is adding Alex Martin to its stable for the Millville round of the championship.

Martin – who isn’t just from the area, but whose family owns the Spring Creek facility and lives at the track itself – will be racing Canard’s (and Vicki Golden’s, now) CRF250R at his home track.

“After Trey got hurt and High Point and hurt his wrist, I was sitting in the airport Sunday morning after the race and had the same flight home as Jeff Majkrzak [co-owner of the GEICO Powersports Honda team], so I just threw it out there to see how curious he was about maybe hiring a fill-in rider for a couple races or something,” Martin said. “It took a while to get stuff organized, but they arranged something for Millville, and I’m pretty excited about it.”

GEICO Powersports Honda co-owner Jeff Majkrzak is really looking forward to the weekend.

“Racing can be very cruel when you’re faced with an injury such as Trey’s,” Majkrzak said. “However, it does provide an opportunity to help somebody out like this. Alex is a great kid and this is a chance for him to show everyone his potential. It’s also good to put another rider on a GEICO Powersports Honda, and with it being his home race, we’re expecting the Millville fans will rally around him, cheer him on, and really help him make the best of the opportunity.”

Martin hopes the machinery alone will make a big difference for him.

“I think the biggest difference with this bike is that I think it will help me with my starts,” Martin said. “I know we practiced quite a few starts on Monday, and the whole team, we were doing group starts, and I feel like I improved. My starts have been terrible this year. I don’t think I’ve had one start inside the top 15, and maybe only one or two in the top 20. If I can get a good start, that should change things for me.”

Martin will be on board a number-144 GEICO Powersports Honda at Spring Creek on July 18th.

“I really want to thank GEICO Powersports Honda for giving me this opportunity, and my other sponsors who were willing to help me out by letting me ride for the Factory Connection Racing team for this one-off race,” Martin said. “It’s a big deal for me on both sides of it. It’s something you never want to pass up, for sure.”

Team Sponsors: GEICO Powersports, Honda, Planet Fitness, Unbound Energy, AM/PM, Factory Connection, Fox, Shoei, Gaerne, DVS, Amsoil Lubricants, Cycra Plastics, Dunlop Tires, EK Chains, Filtron Air Filters, Hinson Clutches, Leatt Brace, One Industries, Pro Circuit, Renthal, Shock Doctor, Showa, TAG Sprockets, Vortex Ignitions, VP Fuels, and Works Connection.

|

7/8/2009 4:51 PM

this is awesome. Go Alex!

|

7/8/2009 5:32 PM

Sweet!

|

7/8/2009 5:38 PM

Way to go Alex, best of luck! We will be there cheering you on.

|

7/8/2009 6:39 PM

Should have given Tim Weigand the ride.

|

7/8/2009 6:51 PM

Congratulations Alex...good luck.

|

Thanks to :Race Tech,Motosport.com,EVS,Engine Ice,Novik,Mika,DT1 Filters,FMF,Alias

7/8/2009 6:54 PM

Good luck, but wow...that's some pressure

Can't really make any excuses if results aren't stellar.

|

Make sure you down vote!

Not affiliated with any company

7/8/2009 7:09 PM

flarider wrote:

Good luck, but wow...that's some pressure

Can't really make any excuses if results aren't stellar.

Especially considering his family owns the track. He should podium.

|

"Blind faith in a god is a poor substitute for logic and reason."

7/8/2009 8:40 PM

He is a quick kid, started watching him at one of the Anaheim's when he first did SX. Make the most of it and Good Luck.

|

"Cheezus"

7/8/2009 8:48 PM

Kudos to Geico for stepping up and helping out a good family!!!

SH 32

|

7/9/2009 10:41 AM

Geico is gonna get ther moneys worth no matter how Alex does.....and plenty of goodwill.

Those guy's are smart

Good luck Alex

|

All riders should be bashed by "journalists" because it's good for the sport.

7/9/2009 11:25 AM

I love how you guys always jump in and say who should have gotten the ride. How do you know who they have tried to get, etc. You know most of these riders have contracts that prohibit them from moving up to a team ride... so I don't exactly get what the point is?

Personally, I think this a genius move. The only thing they could have done to get better exposure is get the Whoop Monster to dress more like a caveman and film a commercial. Now there's an idea...

JR

|

7/9/2009 11:45 AM

Wow, no sooner than I post that than I hear that maybe Alex didn't go about this the best way....current sponsors finding out by reading this press release!?!? Sponsors based in the Midwest, no doubt banking on getting some exposure at the only race in their marketing region!

What do you guys think? Is it worth it to break your contracts with your current sponsors for a one race shot at a factory bike? Or do you politely say, let's talk next year, and remain loyal?

I would think that one would have to remember those that were there when the sponsors weren't calling last year, and remain loyal. There's not many sponsors out there right now with the economy the way it is, and this is a really bad time to be breaking contracts.

your thoughts?
JR

|

7/9/2009 12:40 PM

Good for the kid, and why isn't Windham on Reardon's bike?

He would do well and they've got the bike, so issue must be money or something?

|

Roger DeCoster, Team Manager: I have to thank Tony and Jeffrey for the riding lessons; you guys were unbelievable.