GB folks - how do you insure your bike?

GaryC1
Edited Date/Time 7/12/2019 4:43am
I've just recently bought a house and thought I could cover my bike under my home and contents insurance but ive been told by a couple of providers that they cant cover motorised equipment.

How have you insured your bike? Are there any providers that will insure a bike as part of a policy or are there any reputable companies to insure the bike directly with?

Cheers!
|
mx317
9/17/2017 12:04pm
Progressive is where I have mine. Rates are good, fortunately I've never had to find out how they pay.
9/17/2017 12:18pm
Iv'e heard that dirt bike insurance isn't worth it because they replace the depreciated value and don't pay for aftermarket parts and for what you pay each months your better off putting your money toward better security like cameras, locks and alarms.
mx317
9/17/2017 12:28pm
Iv'e heard that dirt bike insurance isn't worth it because they replace the depreciated value and don't pay for aftermarket parts and for what you pay...
Iv'e heard that dirt bike insurance isn't worth it because they replace the depreciated value and don't pay for aftermarket parts and for what you pay each months your better off putting your money toward better security like cameras, locks and alarms.
Mine pays for aftermarket parts up to $1000, but you can add to that for a bit higher premium. Security extras won't pay for your bike if it gets stolen and they won't stop a thief either.
9/17/2017 12:30pm
mx317 wrote:
Mine pays for aftermarket parts up to $1000, but you can add to that for a bit higher premium. Security extras won't pay for your bike...
Mine pays for aftermarket parts up to $1000, but you can add to that for a bit higher premium. Security extras won't pay for your bike if it gets stolen and they won't stop a thief either.
If you have heightened security you wont have to worry about your bike being stolen. Something like taking off the front wheel and hiding the wheel and axle is enough to stop it from being stolen. Even with two dudes thats hard to pick up a bike and take it.

The Shop

imoto34
Fantasy
3174th
9/17/2017 12:49pm Edited Date/Time 9/17/2017 12:49pm
mx317 wrote:
Mine pays for aftermarket parts up to $1000, but you can add to that for a bit higher premium. Security extras won't pay for your bike...
If you have heightened security you wont have to worry about your bike being stolen. Something like taking off the front wheel and hiding the wheel...
If you have heightened security you wont have to worry about your bike being stolen. Something like taking off the front wheel and hiding the wheel and axle is enough to stop it from being stolen. Even with two dudes thats hard to pick up a bike and take it.
Forget it
mx317
9/17/2017 2:01pm
mx317 wrote:
If you have heightened security you wont have to worry about your bike being stolen. Something like taking off the front wheel and hiding the wheel...
It's not just being stolen, it could be fire, flood, something else. As far as security, you won't stop a thief. Hell, one got stolen from the tunnel at A1 with security guards everywhere.
mx317
9/17/2017 2:02pm
imoto34 wrote:
Forget it
Probably good advice as I think I read a post where he was about to graduate from High School. He still has a lot to learn.
7/11/2019 10:37am
I was just in a bad car accident on the way to the track. Bike had no insurance as it was older, but I had just put $3000 Canadian into the motor. Our insurance in Canada sucks. The accident was not my fault. My car insurance doesn't want to pay for the bike. My house insurance wont. I'm going after the other guys insurance next. If that doesn't work i will have to take him to small claims court.
mxb2
7/11/2019 10:46am
Iv'e heard that dirt bike insurance isn't worth it because they replace the depreciated value and don't pay for aftermarket parts and for what you pay...
You heard wrong, they will insure any amount you want. Policy will be more money. And ya better have pics, receipts fot a claim.
fourfourone
7/11/2019 10:51am
chains, locks and cameras only slow them down. Most the time it is enough to stop them but if they want it bad enough they will get it. I have progressive and they cover aftermarket parts but must have documentation. Even if they don't cover the entire replacement value its better then having 0 dollars.
philG
7/11/2019 12:52pm
You dont live in the UK do you ?
7/11/2019 1:06pm
He's specifically aimed this question at UK users so...

Anyway to answer your question mate I've never heard of directly insuring an MXer against theft/damage, however if you make it road registered (just don't use it on the road of course) you could insure it like that andd get a multi-vehicle policy.

Another popular way of doing it is if you have home insurance, you can add your shed and/or garage to that and the bike would be covered under contents insurance I believe but you'd have to specify specifically that it's there.

My house is rented so I don't need insurance as my landlord has it, but when I buy my first house that's how I plan on covering mine!
philG
7/11/2019 1:09pm
He's specifically aimed this question at UK users so... Anyway to answer your question mate I've never heard of directly insuring an MXer against theft/damage, however...

Anyway to answer your question mate I've never heard of directly insuring an MXer against theft/damage, however if you make it road registered (just don't use it on the road of course) you could insure it like that andd get a multi-vehicle policy.

Another popular way of doing it is if you have home insurance, you can add your shed and/or garage to that and the bike would be covered under contents insurance I believe but you'd have to specify specifically that it's there.

My house is rented so I don't need insurance as my landlord has it, but when I buy my first house that's how I plan on covering mine!
Not in the UK.. its only insured if its insured.
7/11/2019 1:10pm
He's specifically aimed this question at UK users so... Anyway to answer your question mate I've never heard of directly insuring an MXer against theft/damage, however...

philG wrote:
What?
lostboy819
Fantasy
1442nd
7/11/2019 1:20pm
So what you are really saying is that you have no idea what you are talking about when it comes to insurance but you still felt the need to tell everyone you have no idea what you are talking about. Pinch

philG
7/11/2019 1:32pm

philG wrote:
What?
Unless the bike is insured , its not covered undet any part of any other policy.. its a thing in its own right and needs to be insured as such. Its like expecting it to be covered on your van policy when it gets stolen from the van. Doesnt work like that.
Spergen
7/11/2019 3:32pm
Carol Nash and ......shit I've forgotten but one of the big biking insurance companies will insure you on a frame no. Did it for a year on my enduro before road registration
Spergen
7/11/2019 4:14pm
lostboy819 wrote:
So what you are really saying is that you have no idea what you are talking about when it comes to insurance but you still felt...
So what you are really saying is that you have no idea what you are talking about when it comes to insurance but you still felt the need to tell everyone you have no idea what you are talking about. Pinch

Just to be perdantic that saying was loosely phrased in the Bible, but modern scholar's attribute that particular arrangement to Maurice Switzer. It's my boring side coming out. Just love phrases/proverbs and there original meaning. Like when someone has you over a barrel !
captmoto
7/11/2019 6:47pm
chains, locks and cameras only slow them down. Most the time it is enough to stop them but if they want it bad enough they will...
chains, locks and cameras only slow them down. Most the time it is enough to stop them but if they want it bad enough they will get it. I have progressive and they cover aftermarket parts but must have documentation. Even if they don't cover the entire replacement value its better then having 0 dollars.
Progressive wouldn't cover me since the bike vin shows it to be a closed course competition bike. I go with State Farm since they don't give a shit if you race.
Bosco
7/12/2019 2:52am
I've used both Carole Nash and BikeSure for motocross bike insurance. It's specifically an off road policy that you're looking for. I couldn't find details of anything on comparison websites, and had to call these companies themselves.

I currently pay £115 for my '05 YZ250 against fire and theft in/from my garage. I've told them it's worth about £3000, which is what I paid for it (it was clean)That's with BikeSure. In the past I've had a policy with Carole Nash that covered the bike on the way to and from "organised events" as well. So it was covered if it got taken from the van in a service station, or while I was stopped overnight somewhere on the way to/from a race.

Both of these companies wanted frame numbers, and I think Carole Nash wanted engine number as well?

It's worth mentioning that I had a Street Triple insured with BikeSure while I had the mx bike cover, and they couldn't offer any multi-vehicle discount as their road and off road policies aren't done by the same company. Not sure if that's the same with Carole Nash.

Home insurance specifically wouldn't let me cover it (wouldn't let me add it as a named item). Standard car/van insurance companies wouldn't touch it either as it's not a road vehicle.
kb228
7/12/2019 3:59am
Progressive has options for aftermarket stuff, theft, and riding gear
RicKTM
7/12/2019 4:27am
I Use BeMoto, They seem pretty reasonably priced.

I did find it pretty hard to find anybody to insure a bike that's not registered. Give them a call and get a quote.
7/12/2019 4:43am
philG wrote:
You dont live in the UK do you ?
haha theres no chance! In the UK bikes are stolen everyday regardless of how good the security is. Me and my dad rent a container at 24 hour security site just to make sure they are safe, its around £140 per month for a shipping container.

With regard to insurance, they wont touch the bike unless its in a brick garage, i had the exact same problem. Also be careful of insurance brokers as i had no real confidence in the casual "yeah sure" attitude they were giving me on the phone.

Have a look at ALMAX chains if you want to boost security, those chains are insane and un-croppable by hand tools.
HackMan162
7/12/2019 7:56am
chains, locks and cameras only slow them down. Most the time it is enough to stop them but if they want it bad enough they will...
captmoto wrote:
Progressive wouldn't cover me since the bike vin shows it to be a closed course competition bike. I go with State Farm since they don't give...
Progressive wouldn't cover me since the bike vin shows it to be a closed course competition bike. I go with State Farm since they don't give a shit if you race.
Probably some stupid Californicated law. I have Progressive in Texas, KTM 450 SXF. Insured for replacement cost, plus $3000. And if I add a-kit, I can up the $3K accessory coverage. Cost me a whopping $73/year.
mxb2
7/12/2019 8:11am
captmoto wrote:
Progressive wouldn't cover me since the bike vin shows it to be a closed course competition bike. I go with State Farm since they don't give...
HackMan162 wrote:
Probably some stupid Californicated law. I have Progressive in Texas, KTM 450 SXF. Insured for replacement cost, plus $3000. And if I add a-kit, I can...
Probably some stupid Californicated law. I have Progressive in Texas, KTM 450 SXF. Insured for replacement cost, plus $3000. And if I add a-kit, I can up the $3K accessory coverage. Cost me a whopping $73/year.
Yep all 3 of my bikes are insured,all aftermarket parts also, A kit, wheels etc. Take pics,keep receipts good to go. Of course the policy is more $$. Bottom line insure your shit.

Post a reply to: GB folks - how do you insure your bike?

The Latest