Fun on a 125

Related:
Create New Tag

5/10/2018 8:41 AM

I'm a 46 year old mid pack (on a good day) C rider who's been on a 250 sxf for the last year. Last night I used the 12 year old TM 125 that I'd picked up for my son, and had more fun than I've had in a long time. It felt like I was absolutely flying. Reality set in when guys on 450s started passing me. But as someone who just rides for fun and doesn't really care about results in our local club racing, it didn't matter. I couldn't wipe the smile off my face for the rest of the evening. I'm ordinarily exhausted after racing but on that lightweight bike I felt like I was barely even breathing heavy. No real point to this other than to say that 125s can be great fun, and if you want to rekindle the joy of riding, take one out for a blast!

|

Current rides: 2016 KTM 250SXF, 2017 KTM 350SXF

5/10/2018 9:44 AM

Thread fail! Pics or it didn't happen lol.

125 are awesome bikes. I think more people should be on them. So light and so much fun.

|

"Sorry Goose, but it's time to buzz the tower."

5/10/2018 9:46 AM

much ty

|

5/10/2018 9:49 AM

They Are doing a Local 125 class
This Summer in Minnesota
Which is awsome imo
But my understanding is it's just one class
With everyone ABC etc
Which kinda sucks if your slow because you will get lapped
Quick
But at least it's a start
Hopefully before long they will
Have an A , B , and C
125 class
I know you can go race anyway
But imo it's Much more fun to race a 125 against other 125's instead of against 250f,s and 450'fs
It will be fun to watch tho for sure

|

5/10/2018 9:50 AM

WE THINKED OF GETTING SUSZUKI RM125 FOR MY NEXT BIKE BUT DIND THINK WE COUD GET IT LOW TO THE GROUND UNLES THE FORKS TUCHED THE BARS BUT MY DAD SCARED IT GET HEAD SHAKE ON LONG STRATES SO WE LOOK FOR THE RARIST SUSZUKI THATS THE RM100

|

suszuki rm85

5/10/2018 9:51 AM

-MAVERICK- wrote:

Thread fail! Pics or it didn't happen lol.

125 are awesome bikes. I think more people should be on them. So light and so much fun.

If someone from the club posts a pic of me on Facebook I can share it here. Agreed - they are awesome. It's challenging and fun to actually have to shift and clutch the whole time instead of just twisting the throttle.

|

Current rides: 2016 KTM 250SXF, 2017 KTM 350SXF

5/10/2018 9:52 AM

Tarz483 wrote:

They Are doing a Local 125 class
This Summer in Minnesota
Which is awsome imo
But my understanding is it's just one class
With everyone ABC etc
Which kinda sucks if your slow because you will get lapped
Quick
But at least it's a start
Hopefully before long they will
Have an A , B , and C
125 class
I know you can go race anyway
But imo it's Much more fun to race a 125 against other 125's instead of against 250f,s and 450'fs
It will be fun to watch tho for sure

Unless you catch and pass a guy on a 450. Now that's fun!

|

Current rides: 2016 KTM 250SXF, 2017 KTM 350SXF

5/10/2018 10:39 AM

Tarz483 wrote:

They Are doing a Local 125 class
This Summer in Minnesota
Which is awsome imo
But my understanding is it's just one class
With everyone ABC etc
Which kinda sucks if your slow because you will get lapped
Quick
But at least it's a start
Hopefully before long they will
Have an A , B , and C
125 class
I know you can go race anyway
But imo it's Much more fun to race a 125 against other 125's instead of against 250f,s and 450'fs
It will be fun to watch tho for sure

MPJC wrote:

Unless you catch and pass a guy on a 450. Now that's fun!

Hunting down and passing the guys on the ‘better’ bikes is part of what makes it so much fun.

|

5/10/2018 10:43 AM

tylermx967 wrote:

WE THINKED OF GETTING SUSZUKI RM125 FOR MY NEXT BIKE BUT DIND THINK WE COUD GET IT LOW TO THE GROUND UNLES THE FORKS TUCHED THE BARS BUT MY DAD SCARED IT GET HEAD SHAKE ON LONG STRATES SO WE LOOK FOR THE RARIST SUSZUKI THATS THE RM100

Good luck on your hunt Tyler!

|

5/10/2018 10:45 AM

-MAVERICK- wrote:

Thread fail! Pics or it didn't happen lol.

125 are awesome bikes. I think more people should be on them. So light and so much fun.

MPJC wrote:

If someone from the club posts a pic of me on Facebook I can share it here. Agreed - they are awesome. It's challenging and fun to actually have to shift and clutch the whole time instead of just twisting the throttle.

I was talking about a pic of the bike but that's cool too.

|

"Sorry Goose, but it's time to buzz the tower."

5/10/2018 10:55 AM
Edited Date/Time: 5/10/2018 11:04 AM

Its definitely a crapload of fun ripping a 125! Compared to my 450, though, its definitely more tiring to ride the same lap times in a race. But the enjoyment sure makes up for it. Everyone should have a 125 in their stable.

Don't mean to steal your thunder here, but this thread needs some sound, so here's a few clips of me:

2 stroke championship at glen helen against a bunch of 250's

A post shared by Bryan Haskell (@bwhaskell) on



Cahuilla Creek

A post shared by Bryan Haskell (@bwhaskell) on

|

5/10/2018 12:05 PM

-MAVERICK- wrote:

Thread fail! Pics or it didn't happen lol.

125 are awesome bikes. I think more people should be on them. So light and so much fun.

MPJC wrote:

If someone from the club posts a pic of me on Facebook I can share it here. Agreed - they are awesome. It's challenging and fun to actually have to shift and clutch the whole time instead of just twisting the throttle.

-MAVERICK- wrote:

I was talking about a pic of the bike but that's cool too.

My son on the bike.

Photo

|

Current rides: 2016 KTM 250SXF, 2017 KTM 350SXF

5/10/2018 12:16 PM

theycallmeebryan wrote:

Its definitely a crapload of fun ripping a 125! Compared to my 450, though, its definitely more tiring to ride the same lap times in a race. But the enjoyment sure makes up for it. Everyone should have a 125 in their stable.

Don't mean to steal your thunder here, but this thread needs some sound, so here's a few clips of me:

2 stroke championship at glen helen against a bunch of 250's

A post shared by Bryan Haskell (@bwhaskell) on



Cahuilla Creek

A post shared by Bryan Haskell (@bwhaskell) on

Yes, the sound is a welcome addition! You said that it's more tiring - I find the lighter weight makes it less tiring physically, but it's more mentally demanding.

|

Current rides: 2016 KTM 250SXF, 2017 KTM 350SXF

5/10/2018 12:36 PM

Tarz483 wrote:

They Are doing a Local 125 class
This Summer in Minnesota
Which is awsome imo
But my understanding is it's just one class
With everyone ABC etc
Which kinda sucks if your slow because you will get lapped
Quick
But at least it's a start
Hopefully before long they will
Have an A , B , and C
125 class
I know you can go race anyway
But imo it's Much more fun to race a 125 against other 125's instead of against 250f,s and 450'fs
It will be fun to watch tho for sure

Is this a poem about 125s? grin

|

Twitter: @bayodome
Instagram: @bayodome

5/10/2018 1:08 PM

Tarz483 wrote:

They Are doing a Local 125 class
This Summer in Minnesota
Which is awsome imo
But my understanding is it's just one class
With everyone ABC etc
Which kinda sucks if your slow because you will get lapped
Quick
But at least it's a start
Hopefully before long they will
Have an A , B , and C
125 class
I know you can go race anyway
But imo it's Much more fun to race a 125 against other 125's instead of against 250f,s and 450'fs
It will be fun to watch tho for sure

bayodome wrote:

Is this a poem about 125s? grin

Beat me to it hahaha

|

5/10/2018 1:09 PM

theycallmeebryan wrote:

Its definitely a crapload of fun ripping a 125! Compared to my 450, though, its definitely more tiring to ride the same lap times in a race. But the enjoyment sure makes up for it. Everyone should have a 125 in their stable.

Don't mean to steal your thunder here, but this thread needs some sound, so here's a few clips of me:

2 stroke championship at glen helen against a bunch of 250's

A post shared by Bryan Haskell (@bwhaskell) on



Cahuilla Creek

A post shared by Bryan Haskell (@bwhaskell) on

MPJC wrote:

Yes, the sound is a welcome addition! You said that it's more tiring - I find the lighter weight makes it less tiring physically, but it's more mentally demanding.

125's are only tiring because you have to shift, clutch, brake, twist the throttle harder, and move around on the bike more.
on a 450, you can just sit on it, poke through the turn, point it and shoot, and you'll still go somewhat fast.

A 125 is definitely less tiring on the arms though!

|

5/10/2018 2:15 PM

I haven't thrown a leg over my 250f in little over a year due to injuries/life in general and i'm seriously considering swapping for a 125 and just riding for fun again.. I had one a few years ago but trying to race in the mud over here in the UK against the 4 strokes is just a nightmare. Nothing beats the sheer joy of hearing a 125 sing and throwing that thing around though, the most fun you can have on a dirt bike.

|

5/10/2018 2:35 PM

MPJC wrote:

I'm a 46 year old mid pack (on a good day) C rider who's been on a 250 sxf for the last year. Last night I used the 12 year old TM 125 that I'd picked up for my son, and had more fun than I've had in a long time. It felt like I was absolutely flying. Reality set in when guys on 450s started passing me. But as someone who just rides for fun and doesn't really care about results in our local club racing, it didn't matter. I couldn't wipe the smile off my face for the rest of the evening. I'm ordinarily exhausted after racing but on that lightweight bike I felt like I was barely even breathing heavy. No real point to this other than to say that 125s can be great fun, and if you want to rekindle the joy of riding, take one out for a blast!

I figured the same thing out back in 1990. Just got off 4 laps on my new YZ250 with arm pump madness. Cooled down for a few minutes and unloaded the $75.00 fresh from the salvage yard 81 CR125 out of the truck for a couple more laps before my arms completely fell off. About 15 laps in, 125 fever had set in.

|

5/10/2018 3:31 PM

MPJC wrote:

I'm a 46 year old mid pack (on a good day) C rider who's been on a 250 sxf for the last year. Last night I used the 12 year old TM 125 that I'd picked up for my son, and had more fun than I've had in a long time. It felt like I was absolutely flying. Reality set in when guys on 450s started passing me. But as someone who just rides for fun and doesn't really care about results in our local club racing, it didn't matter. I couldn't wipe the smile off my face for the rest of the evening. I'm ordinarily exhausted after racing but on that lightweight bike I felt like I was barely even breathing heavy. No real point to this other than to say that 125s can be great fun, and if you want to rekindle the joy of riding, take one out for a blast!

newmann wrote:

I figured the same thing out back in 1990. Just got off 4 laps on my new YZ250 with arm pump madness. Cooled down for a few minutes and unloaded the $75.00 fresh from the salvage yard 81 CR125 out of the truck for a couple more laps before my arms completely fell off. About 15 laps in, 125 fever had set in.

Yes, I find a 250 2 stroke gives me wicked arm pump. 250F is not as bad. But I had none with that 125. I felt like I could easily keep riding, whereas I'm usually saying "thank God" when I see the checkered flag. I also find that on a 250 I'm constantly chasing suspension settings. The 125 is so light it seems to just hammer through anything without any real drama (I'm sure the Ohlins shock on the TM helps too). Settings don't seem so crucial.

|

Current rides: 2016 KTM 250SXF, 2017 KTM 350SXF

5/10/2018 5:19 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/10/2018 5:22 PM

My first adult bike was a 1990 KX125, since then i have only ever owned 125's apart from my KTM 200 enduro bike. Have ridden lots of 250's both 2smoke & fart. 450's & the odd 500 but nothing compares to screaming that little engine and working for your position.

Even on the deep sand tracks if someone passed me it was motivation to corner better, faster, smoother.

|

5/10/2018 9:23 PM

I've run the first few post-vintage races this season on both a 125 and 250, and there is no comparison - the 125 is by far the most fun. I like running 4 motos per event, but once this season wraps up, I'll likely look to swap the 250 for another 125 that I can run in a different class to get my 4 motos in. I know I'll get a lot less tired that way, and will probably have better overall results.

|