Full coverage insurance on Bike

Who do you guys use? did you have to call to get a policy? I tried Progressive online and I could only chose Actual Cash Value for total loss coverage. I would prefer an Agreed Value type coverage at least
|
1/16/2019 1:38pm Edited Date/Time 1/16/2019 1:41pm
I use progressive. The accessory coverage is great. Dollar for dollar with receipts.

08 yz250 got stolen they paid me around $6000 in 2012. $1800 for bike. Rest was after market parts/accessories on the bike.

Coverage cost like $60-80 I can’t remember. Won’t go without it now.
c0ncEpT
1/16/2019 1:44pm
Progressive.

$200/Yr

Full coverage with up to $3,000 in accessories.
1/16/2019 1:44pm
c0ncEpT wrote:
Progressive.

$200/Yr

Full coverage with up to $3,000 in accessories.
do you have to have receipts for accessories? I bought the bike with the goodies on it already.
1/16/2019 2:53pm
I have progressive and didn't know that about accessories. If you are racing or "practicing" for a racing event and demolish your bike, they will not cover it. Not sure how they determine what you are using the bike for but as most know, they make the calls and you are SOL. I got the insurance for my loan which I paid off in no time, but kept the insurance for theft purposes since it's only $11 or so a month.

The Shop

1/16/2019 2:59pm Edited Date/Time 1/16/2019 3:00pm
Oh yea I don’t get comprehensive. You seriously making claims for wrecking a motocross bike ? Lol. I just to fire/theft+accessory.

Need receipts. Suspension modification counts. I had like 3800- $4,000 in aftermarket suspension work. All covered. I had $4,000 in accessory coverage. man that was a bad bike. I miss it. Grrrrrr
gt80rider
1/16/2019 3:01pm
Since this is an insurance thread... Question for you knowledgeable guys-

I ride a lot at a public riding area. Many times there are a lot of people there, so there are accidents, and once a year or two, a fatality.

Lets say I am riding at an open to the public riding area, but not racing, and I run into someone, or they run into me. Lets say I get hurt, or the other person gets hurt. Lets say they decide to sue me if I hit them for medical bills.

Question is- best insurance to protect me against that???
731chopper
Fantasy
355th
1/16/2019 3:12pm
gt80rider wrote:
Since this is an insurance thread... Question for you knowledgeable guys- I ride a lot at a public riding area. Many times there are a lot...

I ride a lot at a public riding area. Many times there are a lot of people there, so there are accidents, and once a year or two, a fatality.

Lets say I am riding at an open to the public riding area, but not racing, and I run into someone, or they run into me. Lets say I get hurt, or the other person gets hurt. Lets say they decide to sue me if I hit them for medical bills.

Every liability policy I’ve ever read excludes racing and/or riding in an organized event so I don’t think such a policy exists. If you could find a policy that doesn’t exclude this, then I think buying it and pairing that with an umbrella liability policy would be the safest thing to do.

Insurance I’ve had on bikes has always just been for theft. While it did have other coverages, theft was realistically the only thing it was good for. I’d love to see some policies others have if they don’t exclude racing, practice, etc.
1/16/2019 3:16pm Edited Date/Time 1/16/2019 3:17pm
Oh yea I don’t get comprehensive. You seriously making claims for wrecking a motocross bike ? Lol. I just to fire/theft+accessory. Need receipts. Suspension modification counts...
Oh yea I don’t get comprehensive. You seriously making claims for wrecking a motocross bike ? Lol. I just to fire/theft+accessory.

Need receipts. Suspension modification counts. I had like 3800- $4,000 in aftermarket suspension work. All covered. I had $4,000 in accessory coverage. man that was a bad bike. I miss it. Grrrrrr
I would never make a claim on a bike after a crash, but I do know of people who have.
1/16/2019 3:18pm Edited Date/Time 1/16/2019 3:18pm
gt80rider wrote:
Since this is an insurance thread... Question for you knowledgeable guys- I ride a lot at a public riding area. Many times there are a lot...

Progressive does have medical payments and liability if you were to hit and kill someone. . If I were you I’d get a 300,000/100,000 policy. I don’t ride on public land so I don’t gave these policies.
Eddieg15
1/16/2019 3:22pm
Fire /theft 2 ktm 450 fe. 170 yr. Geico
Indy mxer
1/16/2019 4:11pm
Oh yea I don’t get comprehensive. You seriously making claims for wrecking a motocross bike ? Lol. I just to fire/theft+accessory. Need receipts. Suspension modification counts...

I would never make a claim on a bike after a crash, but I do know of people who have.
this^
captmoto
1/16/2019 4:49pm Edited Date/Time 1/16/2019 4:50pm
I have progressive and didn't know that about accessories. If you are racing or "practicing" for a racing event and demolish your bike, they will not...
I have progressive and didn't know that about accessories. If you are racing or "practicing" for a racing event and demolish your bike, they will not cover it. Not sure how they determine what you are using the bike for but as most know, they make the calls and you are SOL. I got the insurance for my loan which I paid off in no time, but kept the insurance for theft purposes since it's only $11 or so a month.
I got denied straight up by both Geico and Progressive. I think they went by VIN to deny. Progressive, the company that keeps putting that cow in front of us all night long on Saturday nights, denies insurance for a race bike.

I use State Farm, NFG what you are doing as long as it's legal.
Premix
1/16/2019 5:11pm Edited Date/Time 1/16/2019 5:21pm
Nearly every standard and non-standard insurance company is going to be ACV (Actual Cash Value) for your bike. Some may offer an additional replacement cost endorsement, but obviously that will be additional. The accessory coverage you can purchase is no longer a dollar for dollar endorsement either with many companies. They will depreciate the accessories based on the date of purchase. Progressive does have a great accessory coverage policy and dosen’t do this though to my knowledge.

No insurance company is going to offer a collision endorsement on a race bike used solely for racing. If you’re paying for collision on a race bike, you are wasting your money or your underwriter is a dumbass. Or you’re lying to your insurance company, which I don’t suggest, I’ve seen it happen, it dosen’t end well. Not only will you face potential jail time, you will also be reported to the NCIB and be either uninsurable or at an astronomical rate.

You should carry comprehensive in the event of a fire, theft, or other catastrophic event.

You should carry some sort of liability insurance. Wreck and have your bike go into a crowd of people and see how fast you get slapped with a suit.

That being said, get a good insurance agent, one who has an established book of business and knows the products they are selling. Read your policy, understand what you are buying.
Vet57
1/16/2019 5:57pm
I've been using Progressive for years albeit I've never issued a claim. With that being said what I'd really like to know is for the people who have had to file a claim what was the end result? Did they pay out according to what you were insured for?
1/16/2019 6:02pm
Insurance agent here, definitely echo what others have said. Do not waste your money on collision coverage, but probably smart to have comprehensive coverage specifically to cover against theft. On the liability side of things, definitely smart to have at least 100/300/100 if not more (this goes for your auto policy too, state minimum is asking for wage garnishments).

The only caveat that a lot of people have mentioned here is that most, if not all insurance companies have exclusions in place for racing, closed course events, etc. The language that my company uses on its policy is "A surface designed for racing." This means that, if you wad your shit up on a track, or hurt someone else on a track, there will be no coverage.
jay_547
1/16/2019 6:49pm
I have comp along with 100/300/100 through All-State on all my bikes, including my mx bike.
motomike894
1/16/2019 7:05pm
I have comprehensive thru progressive, had a bike get stolen about 5 years ago and it got paid off and with the accessory coverage I came out good. I’ll never go without it, only cost me 90–100 bucks year.
1/16/2019 7:54pm Edited Date/Time 1/16/2019 7:57pm
captmoto wrote:
I got denied straight up by both Geico and Progressive. I think they went by VIN to deny. Progressive, the company that keeps putting that cow...
I got denied straight up by both Geico and Progressive. I think they went by VIN to deny. Progressive, the company that keeps putting that cow in front of us all night long on Saturday nights, denies insurance for a race bike.

I use State Farm, NFG what you are doing as long as it's legal.
I do recall that now that you say that. I forget what the options were. I just did whatever it took to appease the lender and knew it would not benefit me other than if it were stolen.
jwoltz
1/16/2019 8:15pm Edited Date/Time 1/16/2019 8:42pm
I have foremost for my ktm, and have had for my
Last 4 bikes. More than happy to pay it.

Post a reply to: Full coverage insurance on Bike

The Latest