Full Gas Sprint Enduro Equipment

TJMX947
Edited Date/Time 8/31/2017 7:54am
I'm thinking about doing one of the Kenda FGSE races this fall and I was wondering how many of you guys have done them, and what was your experience like?

I'm a pure track/moto guy so I don't have any type of hand guards currently. I was wondering if a normal set of hand guards will work, or if you really need the bark buster type that attach to the handlebar end. I'm not a fan of hand guards and I would prefer to remove them when I get back on the moto track with little hassle.

Any guidance is very appreciated, and thank you in advance!
|
navalseabee
8/30/2017 6:11am
All youll need is the right tires for the terrain some gas and a good attitude. Sprint Enduros are super fun, and the Kenda series is one of the better run ones. As far as handguards go im not a fan personally of full wrap hard handguards and just run my stock KTM flags with great success.
ktm212
8/30/2017 12:52pm
Haven't done a full gas per say but have done a ton of moto and offroad, go check youtube for videos of whatever round your going to to get a feel for it. Typically they're pretty wide open . there's a cross test which is just grass track or moto with may be a treeline built in. Even in the woods test they see pretty wide open but I'd throw a set of handguards on just incase. handguard are a useful thing to have in the tool box, cycra ones are pretty sturdy and look good moto'ing too
jasonward73
8/30/2017 1:06pm
I run the Florida Trail Rider Hare Scramble Series and just run your standard roost guard plastic hand guards. I don't like the full bark buster style and I never use them. No issues to date.

You probably don't even need anything but these are simple enough to install and remove so I'd throw them on.
jasonward73
8/30/2017 1:10pm
I run the Florida Trail Rider Hare Scramble Series and just run your standard roost guard plastic hand guards. I don't like the full bark buster...
I run the Florida Trail Rider Hare Scramble Series and just run your standard roost guard plastic hand guards. I don't like the full bark buster style and I never use them. No issues to date.

You probably don't even need anything but these are simple enough to install and remove so I'd throw them on.
Here is a pic for reference.

The Shop

Titan1
8/30/2017 1:23pm
On the hand guards...which kind you want depends on what you want them for.

IF you just want roost protection...then get the ones pictured above.

If you want to save your fingers from getting smashed by a tree (if you hit one), or save your levers if you tip over/crash, and roost protection, then get the bark buster style.

No right or wrong, just a matter of what you are looking for as far as protection.

I ran the bark buster style guards for years...and didn't feel like I really used them...so I've switched back to the regular roost guards and they've worked fine (I run break-away levers now though to prevent a broken lever...broken levers are a much larger concern in off road than they are in moto.)
FTB
8/30/2017 3:12pm Edited Date/Time 8/30/2017 3:14pm
Bark Buster/Wrist Breaker hand guards are dangerouse IMO. How many pro's use them? None that I know of.
I hate them and wouldn't take them to a shit fight for spare ammo.
TJMX947
8/30/2017 8:30pm
Thanks for the info guys! I don't get excited to sit around a motocross track all day waiting to line up against five or less dudes and only burning 12 laps for all of that time spent prepping my bike and being away from my family.
8/30/2017 8:58pm Edited Date/Time 8/30/2017 9:01pm
Just for your frame of reference on maybe where you will finish, because I was completely at a loss on myself going in. I race B Moto and raced the B full gas class. Never raced an off road race before, strictly Moto for 25+ yrs, finished top 5 and some top 3 in all the grass/cross tests and top 10 in the woods tests, could have done better here as I fell once in 3 out of the 6 woods tests, but I still finished 9th OA on the wknd out of almost 30 riders and less than 2 mins total out of the top 5. The top 3 podium finishers were on a different lever than the rest of us tho.
TJMX947
8/31/2017 5:43am Edited Date/Time 8/31/2017 5:45am
Just for your frame of reference on maybe where you will finish, because I was completely at a loss on myself going in. I race B...
Just for your frame of reference on maybe where you will finish, because I was completely at a loss on myself going in. I race B Moto and raced the B full gas class. Never raced an off road race before, strictly Moto for 25+ yrs, finished top 5 and some top 3 in all the grass/cross tests and top 10 in the woods tests, could have done better here as I fell once in 3 out of the 6 woods tests, but I still finished 9th OA on the wknd out of almost 30 riders and less than 2 mins total out of the top 5. The top 3 podium finishers were on a different lever than the rest of us tho.
My wife's uncle and cousins follow the GNCC series and they hit up a few of the FGSEs to get in shape.

They race 45A and 250A and on the MX track the 250A guy and I were pretty even but in the woods I can't frickin see them after about a minute.

I don't anticipate being strong in the enduro tests but maybe I'll surprise myself. I'm thinking I'll give it a go at the last round in Union South Carolina in November. Maybe I can do a little woods riding before then to get acclimated. I usually race Vet AM or Vet B/C and I'll most likely race 30+C and see how I do at these.

Sand is my best surface so hopefully I can do the Moto-Vated round next year if they go back. I love the track there.
TomZ
Fantasy
4402nd
8/31/2017 6:22am
In terms of riding time you can't beat this series. Hooper and crew do a great job.

Tire choice is critical. Kenda is the most popular choice ( IBEX or Equilibrium). GoldenTyre is also very popular. If possible go for a bib-mousse, tire balls or something similar.

Hand guards are a personal choice. At a minimum you will want folding levers ( you will fall down at some point).

If you enjoy Full Gas come give TKO a try next year.

Have fun !!
WhiteTaco
8/31/2017 7:43am Edited Date/Time 8/31/2017 7:44am
i like cycra probends. Due to their shape it doesn't seem like your hands are "in" them.
TomZ
Fantasy
4402nd
8/31/2017 7:53am
Since we are on this subject -

Destry Abbott DA8 EnduroCross Training Class Scheduled for Reno Round

Two-hour on-track training session available for all riders
IRVINE, CALIF. (August 31, 2017) – Destry Abbott, the multi-time off-road motorcycle champion and racing legend, will host a two-hour EnduroCross training session at the upcoming Reno EnduroCross. The hands-on class will take place on Friday, September 22 from 6:00 pm to 8:00 pm. Several of the top pro riders will assist Destry with the session, which is open to all riders (even those not competing at the Reno event). For the $100 entry fee, you will learn how tackle the difficult obstacles found on tough trails and EnduroCross tracks.

“These events have been extremely popular with the riders in the past,” said Lance Bryson, Director of Special Events for Bonnier Motorcycle Group. “This is a great opportunity to learn from some of the best off-road riders in the world and is open to riders of all skill levels. You can come and learn some techniques that can be applied at the EnduroCross the following day or on your next trail ride.”

Riders can sign up for the DA8 EnduroCross training session here: https://secure.tracksideprereg.com/endurocross/index.asp?event=55&l=0

The insane EnduroCross obstacles provide a great show and exciting racing for race fans. So if you have never been to an AMA EnduroCross in person, you need to put one on your calendar for 2017.

Reno event tickets are available at Big Valley Honda (2225 Market Street, Reno, Nevada) and are also available online here: http://www.endurocross.com/buy-tickets

If you want to tackle an EnduroCross course yourself, there are classes for Amateur, Vet, Women and TrialsCross riders. All of those support class main events run as part of the night show so it is your chance to compete in front of a large crowd. And there is nothing more challenging than tackling an EnduroCross course.

Racers can enter here: https://secure.tracksideprereg.com/endurocross/
2017 AMA EnduroCross Championship Schedule
Date - Location - Arena
August 19, 2017 - Las Vegas, Nevada - Orleans Arena
September 23, 2017 - Reno, Nevada - Reno – Sparks Livestock Events Center
September 30, 2017 - Denver, Colorado - National Western Events Center
October 14, 2017 - Everett, Washington - XFINITY Arena
October 28, 2017 - Scottsdale, Arizona - WestWorld
November 4, 2017 - Boise, Idaho - Ford Idaho Center
November 18, 2017 - Ontario, California - Citizens Business Bank Arena

*Subject to Change
For more information, visit www.endurocross.com.

Destry Abbott is a multi-time off-road racing champion that has raced EnduroCross since the very first one was held in 2004. He will be conducting a two-hour training session at the Reno round that is open to all riders. Photo: Adam Booth

TJMX947
8/31/2017 10:45am
"..sand is my best surface" You don't say?? WinkLaughingWoohoo I think you'll be just fine dude

https://youtu.be/3R8tvL8vibw
Blake - Don't troll me on Vital!!! (If you didn't know already, my name rhymes with "Bravis Tarber" and we went to college together.

Funny that you share a video of TJ Snow, the 250A rider I was referring to earlier managed to beat TJ in the woods once, said they had an epic battle on two strokes. He knew of TJ from a few woods races and knew he was fast but didn't realize how fast TJ is on the mx trac. I showed him a couple videos of TJ hitting gaps in the sand pits and his jaw dropped. He was like "wow...I managed to beat a guy who can do that?"
8/31/2017 11:23am Edited Date/Time 8/31/2017 11:24am
HAH!!!! Bro, every time I've seen your posts here, I thought it was TJ. Opened this thread and thought to myself "damn, TJ sure is humble; he rips in the woods, what's he talkin about???" too funny man..

On a side note - I also want to run a FGSE in the future.. Hopefully we can line up together one of these days
TJMX947
8/31/2017 11:44am
Too Funny! Lets hit one up, they look like a ton of fun! Are you getting to ride much these days?
hoopmx
9/1/2017 11:48am
TJMX947 wrote:
I'm thinking about doing one of the Kenda FGSE races this fall and I was wondering how many of you guys have done them, and what...
I'm thinking about doing one of the Kenda FGSE races this fall and I was wondering how many of you guys have done them, and what was your experience like?

I'm a pure track/moto guy so I don't have any type of hand guards currently. I was wondering if a normal set of hand guards will work, or if you really need the bark buster type that attach to the handlebar end. I'm not a fan of hand guards and I would prefer to remove them when I get back on the moto track with little hassle.

Any guidance is very appreciated, and thank you in advance!
We very rarely put any sort of single track in our events so you shouldn't really need full wrap hand guards (bark busters). You'll definitely want to run at least flags like the Acerbis ones someone posted earlier. There's about 1500 wooden stakes marking the cross test and that's your best chance of hitting a hand on something and it'll hurt!

If you have any other questions feel free to post them here or send me an email at info@fullgasenduro.com.

Post a reply to: Full Gas Sprint Enduro Equipment

The Latest