Fuel life of Vp Fuels

racerx217
What i am looking to find out is what fuels last longer. I dont get to ride as much as i like and I just wasted 2 or 3 gallons of u4. I know a sealed can is good for a couple years but what about once its opened? I am comparing t4, with VPR.
|
newmann
8/31/2018 6:29am
Plastic fuel jugs and a humid environment don't mix well. Race fuels will absorb moisture from the air and turn cloudy. It will settle and cake up in the bottom of the tank. Don't leave it in your bike for extended periods, keep it stored in sealed metal cans and don't sit it on a cold damp floor.

KDXGarage
8/31/2018 7:18am
OP, I think that VP said a couple of months. I can't remember where I read it. I used to let mine set for longer than that, just still in the original metal can.

Why did you waste yours??

What is a cold, damp floor going to do to it? Who is dumb enough to set metal on top of water?
mxb2
8/31/2018 7:42am
KDXGarage wrote:
OP, I think that VP said a couple of months. I can't remember where I read it. I used to let mine set for longer than...
OP, I think that VP said a couple of months. I can't remember where I read it. I used to let mine set for longer than that, just still in the original metal can.

What is a cold, damp floor going to do to it? Who is dumb enough to set metal on top of water?
Vp rep told me 2 years as long as its in the sealed can in came in. 2 months is low, fuel sits in dealers, warehouses way longer. Damp floor adds moisture to the fuel is what i was told. Keep it in dark cool place off the ground. It lasts longer than you think.
FWYT
8/31/2018 8:00am
Hey, while we are on the subject, once the metal can has been opened and is, for example, half full-
what about putting some argon in there? This is a popular method to hold wine longer once the bottle
has been opened. The argon is heavier than air and seals the surface of the liquid from oxygen.

The Shop

mxb2
8/31/2018 8:02am
FWYT wrote:
Hey, while we are on the subject, once the metal can has been opened and is, for example, half full- what about putting some argon in...
Hey, while we are on the subject, once the metal can has been opened and is, for example, half full-
what about putting some argon in there? This is a popular method to hold wine longer once the bottle
has been opened. The argon is heavier than air and seals the surface of the liquid from oxygen.
No need to add anything, keep the metal can sealed.
WoodsRacer
Fantasy
2889th
8/31/2018 8:52am
Once opened or in any can that can vent the main driver is fuel RVP, the higher the RVP the easier the light ends evaporate and octane degrades. Its hard to give an exact timeframe that fuel will be "Bad" in but if you don't ride often and need some fancy or special fuel the best solution is to just buy the smallest cans offered from VP or wherever else.

As others have mentioned keep the fuel in a cool place, out of sunlight, in a can sealed the best you can. All of these items will help slow evaporation of the light ends.
KDXGarage
8/31/2018 9:49am
KDXGarage wrote:
OP, I think that VP said a couple of months. I can't remember where I read it. I used to let mine set for longer than...

mxb2 wrote:
Vp rep told me 2 years as long as its in the sealed can in came in. 2 months is low, fuel sits in dealers, warehouses...
Vp rep told me 2 years as long as its in the sealed can in came in. 2 months is low, fuel sits in dealers, warehouses way longer. Damp floor adds moisture to the fuel is what i was told. Keep it in dark cool place off the ground. It lasts longer than you think.
I was saying after it is opened it is about two months. I know that in the can it is good for a couple of years. I mean, just look at "The Walking Dead". LOL
mxb2
8/31/2018 9:52am
KDXGarage wrote:

mxb2 wrote:
Vp rep told me 2 years as long as its in the sealed can in came in. 2 months is low, fuel sits in dealers, warehouses...
KDXGarage wrote:
I was saying after it is opened it is about two months. I know that in the can it is good for a couple of years...
I was saying after it is opened it is about two months. I know that in the can it is good for a couple of years. I mean, just look at "The Walking Dead". LOL
Opened also. Good to go. Keep it sealed and in a dark cool place , off the ground.
NITRODOG
Fantasy
1338th
8/31/2018 1:29pm
3 Things hurt racegas....Evaporation, Contamination, and Exposure to sunlight.. Control those and store gas for long periods of time...dont and your gas can "go bad" quickly...there is no days or weeks or months or years expiration date
Falcon
Fantasy
798th
8/31/2018 2:48pm
You can also add a small amount of fuel stabilizer to contain the light ends. This will add about a year to whatever shelf life your fuel has. Pick a good brand with a non-alcohol base.
KDXGarage
8/31/2018 4:40pm
"HOW LONG WILL VP FUELS LAST IN AN UNOPENED DRUM?
The length of time the fuel will stay fresh in a sealed drum depends on the fuel itself. A non oxygenated fuel such as C12 should be used within a couple years. I personally have tested some that was eight years old and was fine. As far as an oxygenated fuel I would like to see these fuels used within a year or so. This way you know the oxygen content is still within spec. Both oxygenated and non oxygenated fuels will most likely last longer than I have stated, but I feel that to ensure the best performance following these recommended guidelines will be to your benefit.

HOW LONG WILL VP FUELS LAST IN ONE OF YOUR PLASTIC FUEL CONTAINERS?
I would personally use it within 2 to 4 weeks. A plastic container is designed for fuel transfer, not storage. If you are going racing for a week or weekend, it’s OK to put your fuel in the plastic containers. I just recommend that when you get to your shop you put the fuel back in the drum and seal it. This will keep it fresh. Plastic is porous. Even though the liquid fuel doesn’t leak out, the light ends of the fuel can evaporate out of the plastic. Plus the sun’s UV rays can penetrate plastic and the lead may drop out. Again, plastic containers are designed for transfer, not storage."

https://vpracingfuels.com/about-us/faq/
newmann
8/31/2018 5:19pm
This begs the question, who makes a good high quality metal/ aluminum fuel jug? One that has a pressure/ vacuum vent on it?
racerx217
8/31/2018 5:49pm
newmann wrote:
This begs the question, who makes a good high quality metal/ aluminum fuel jug? One that has a pressure/ vacuum vent on it?
I store mine in the original container with the vp flexible pour spout. I had the issue with u4.4. I cracked it open used it on a sat and sun with great results and then went back to use it a couple weeks latter with nothing but backfiring and hard starting. Assumed it was the fuel and I drained and moved on.
KDXGarage
8/31/2018 8:42pm
newmann wrote:
racerx217 wrote:
I store mine in the original container with the vp flexible pour spout. I had the issue with u4.4. I cracked it open used it on...
I store mine in the original container with the vp flexible pour spout. I had the issue with u4.4. I cracked it open used it on a sat and sun with great results and then went back to use it a couple weeks latter with nothing but backfiring and hard starting. Assumed it was the fuel and I drained and moved on.
Did you drain the tank and (if the bike had one) carb after riding? It says on the can to not leave it in the fuel tank.

I always drained my carb bowl and tank after each race. I never had such a problem.

newmann, I just left mine in the original 5 gallon pail.

The only company I can think of off the top of my head that makes metal cans is Eagle. If you are in CA, then forget it, you could be jailed for even asking about a can.
racerx217
9/1/2018 7:09am
newmann wrote:
racerx217 wrote:
I store mine in the original container with the vp flexible pour spout. I had the issue with u4.4. I cracked it open used it on...
KDXGarage wrote:
Did you drain the tank and (if the bike had one) carb after riding? It says on the can to not leave it in the fuel...
Did you drain the tank and (if the bike had one) carb after riding? It says on the can to not leave it in the fuel tank.

I always drained my carb bowl and tank after each race. I never had such a problem.

newmann, I just left mine in the original 5 gallon pail.

The only company I can think of off the top of my head that makes metal cans is Eagle. If you are in CA, then forget it, you could be jailed for even asking about a can.
Yes efi bike but drained the tank. I am starting to think maybe it was old and going bad when i got it. Who knows.

Post a reply to: Fuel life of Vp Fuels

The Latest