Jmart

hamncheeze
6/23/2018 9:57pm
My wife is a MD, we just discussed “burst fracture” over dinner. It is a bad injury, he’s a tough kid. I hope for the best and my thoughts are with the Martin family tonight.

Honestly I’ve been in a shit mood all afternoon since those TV images. My riding days are long passed but I’m still passionate about the sport and stuff like that leaves me shaken. Just like Seely’s crash at Tampa. These guys are all such amazing athletes but it can go wrong in an instant.
bd
6/23/2018 10:12pm Edited Date/Time 6/23/2018 10:16pm
IceMan446 wrote:
Damn. Not good man.

Just when JMart made up some points he gets ruined by Cooper.

KB221 wrote:
Have you seen some video that I missed? It looked like they came together in the air to me from the helmetcam, like they both went...
Have you seen some video that I missed? It looked like they came together in the air to me from the helmetcam, like they both went over a little.

Gutted for JMart one of my favourite guys out there hoping for a quick and full recovery.
I watched the video a few times. It looked like Cooper drifted into JMart’s line. JMart must of had a lot momentum because he caught Cooper fast. Cooper was definitely surprised and this was a racing incident. I’m feel for JMart and Honda. Bummed and I think it was pretty obvious JMart was on the verge of going on a run.

See the comments of this FB for more videos:

https://www.facebook.com/9804634954/posts/10151103051954955/
BigMX
6/23/2018 10:21pm
809 wrote:
I would think from reading about the injury, and seeing you guys who have experience with it that his professional racing career may be over. It...
I would think from reading about the injury, and seeing you guys who have experience with it that his professional racing career may be over. It looks to me from what I have read that he isn't out of the woods for neurological problems until surgery is over. Praying it goes well for him the next few days.
He's definitely got a challenging date in the OR. If his is like mine, the procedure is commonly called a 360. They go in through the...
He's definitely got a challenging date in the OR. If his is like mine, the procedure is commonly called a 360. They go in through the front first, move everything out of the way and do that work, then flip you over to finish off. I have a half moon scar about 12 imches long under my rib cage.
I’ve had 3 surgeries. First time went through the back and tried to rebuild the L1 with bone from my hip. That did not hold. Second surgery was due to an infection. The third one was through my left side. They collapsed my lung and cut out a rib. Crushed up that rib bone and put it in the corpectomy cage. I definitely plan to ride again and I’m a lot older than J-Mart. I’m confident he’ll be back.
WhipMeister
Fantasy
4408th
6/23/2018 11:15pm Edited Date/Time 6/23/2018 11:18pm
BigMX wrote:
I’ve had 3 surgeries. First time went through the back and tried to rebuild the L1 with bone from my hip. That did not hold. Second...
I’ve had 3 surgeries. First time went through the back and tried to rebuild the L1 with bone from my hip. That did not hold. Second surgery was due to an infection. The third one was through my left side. They collapsed my lung and cut out a rib. Crushed up that rib bone and put it in the corpectomy cage. I definitely plan to ride again and I’m a lot older than J-Mart. I’m confident he’ll be back.
That sounds rough. Mine was handled all in one shot. I do have some neuropathy in my butt and down the outside of my right leg. No muscle control issues, just numbness. (My golf game is actually a little better). So grateful. He told me my cord was 75% crushed. He said they spent 3 hours picking out bone fragments. When I saw jmart on the ground today, it was an instant flashback. I lost everything waist down for a few minutes after I hit the ground. I think that was what was going on with him.

Done with any track time. Will probably get something tame eventually to trail ride.

The Shop

tempura
6/23/2018 11:16pm
tempura wrote:
You hope he has to go through no pain..? Well, you didn’t think that sentence through very well. It’s guaranteed he will go through pain and...
You hope he has to go through no pain..?
Well, you didn’t think that sentence through very well. It’s guaranteed he will go through pain and discomfort, he just broke a vertebrae!!
mxjeff575 wrote:
I took his comment as hoping he would have minimal pain once hooked up to the IV pain meds. I've had some injuries that were relatively...
I took his comment as hoping he would have minimal pain once hooked up to the IV pain meds. I've had some injuries that were relatively painless after reaching the Emergency Room.
You were lucky. I haven't experienced that yet
Same for me.. they told me I couldn’t have anymore painkiller, I was at the limit and still in pain. The last straw was putting some up my ass..sounds funny, but I was begging for that up my ass! lol...
swatdoc
6/23/2018 11:51pm
Unless you can ride with an airbag or 2 feet of absorbent foam on your butt, there really is no protective gear that will prevent a vertebral burst fracture. It's caused by excessive "axial loading" - basically the force is going straight up your spine - usually from landing on your butt. There just isn't anything other than a few inches (more for some) of fat and muscle to absorb some of the impact. In Doug's case, he didn't land directly on his butt - he was still on his bike - but once the suspension bottomed out, his bike became almost as solid as the ground - hence the same type of injury. It's just a risk we take. Fortunately with most of our crashes, we can either absorb some of the impact with our legs, or we can roll with the impact to spread it out a bit.
kiwifan
6/24/2018 1:24am
Or white, orange, blue. The zuk is the only safe bike at this point
kiwifan wrote:
Huh....another bike/rider cross jumps on front of JMart and its the Hondas fault????

By your logic the injury to Bogle never happened
I'm being a smart ass. Probably think the same as you.. I don't blame any bike manufacturer for riders getting hurt. But if I did, I...
I'm being a smart ass. Probably think the same as you.. I don't blame any bike manufacturer for riders getting hurt. But if I did, I could say that canard survived the Honda for years, then retired on the orange death. Millsaps was retired on the blue pig. I just see a lot of people blaming the color of bikes for the reason riders are injured/retired. So I make my sarcastic, non blatant jokes.
oh right, yup agreed
Question
6/24/2018 1:56am
Sickening. Reading the outcome brings a mixed feeling, I am really happy that he can move and will recover, but at the same time it looks so serious and such a long road to recovery that I am really gutted for him and his family.

Get well soon JMart !!!
6/24/2018 2:44am
Absolutely gutted for J-Mart.
I just watched it from the Garmin a few times, Cooper faded to the left and didn’t quite make it to the downside.. Jmart caught him quick in flight and couldn’t do anything- such a freak racing incident..
What a crap year for injuries!
Prayers for a full recovery Jmart
Question
6/24/2018 3:07am
VRR7 wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/06/24/270034/s1200_jmart.jpg[/img] Cooper way sideways https://www.vitalmx.com/forums/Moto-Related,20/Cross-Jumping,1304250
Please rewatch it again:
Cooper moved 50 cm left when JMart moves almost 1 meter right. It is a racing incident and I am really bummed for JMart, but it is also necessary to stay fair and not throw someone under the bus especially if it is not justified.
fpandjic
6/24/2018 3:10am
I fail to see how this is Cooper's fault. If you watch the video, at least from my perspective, the J-Mart is the one who jumps to the right. Or maybe I'm wrong?

BobPA
6/24/2018 4:06am
VRR7 wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/06/24/270034/s1200_jmart.jpg[/img] Cooper way sideways https://www.vitalmx.com/forums/Moto-Related,20/Cross-Jumping,1304250
Question wrote:
Please rewatch it again: Cooper moved 50 cm left when JMart moves almost 1 meter right. It is a racing incident and I am really bummed...
Please rewatch it again:
Cooper moved 50 cm left when JMart moves almost 1 meter right. It is a racing incident and I am really bummed for JMart, but it is also necessary to stay fair and not throw someone under the bus especially if it is not justified.
How did you come up with such precise measurements?
mx_phreek
Fantasy
230th
6/24/2018 4:21am
When I rider looks over his shoulder to left while going over a jump on first lap in traffic that tells me he's drifting across in air and is concerned if anyone gonna jump into him.
fpandjic
6/24/2018 4:28am
mx_phreek wrote:
When I rider looks over his shoulder to left while going over a jump on first lap in traffic that tells me he's drifting across in...
When I rider looks over his shoulder to left while going over a jump on first lap in traffic that tells me he's drifting across in air and is concerned if anyone gonna jump into him.
So if a racer takes a look to left/right, it automatically means it is drifting across in air.?? Maybe he was concerned with the overrev from JMart or just wanted to see who is on his left, because that statement of yours just doesn't hold ground.
6/24/2018 4:37am
fpandjic wrote:
I fail to see how this is Cooper's fault. If you watch the video, at least from my perspective, the J-Mart is the one who jumps...
I fail to see how this is Cooper's fault. If you watch the video, at least from my perspective, the J-Mart is the one who jumps to the right. Or maybe I'm wrong?

I think your wrong. Jmart landed lined up with where he took off (look at track markers). His front guard turned mid flight but not because he was moving to the right..
On the first lap in a bit of traffic staying on the side like Jmart did is usually safest option, it’s so unfortunate...
Idp57
Fantasy
2607th
6/24/2018 4:39am Edited Date/Time 6/24/2018 4:41am
It’s obvious that JMart went to the right.Racing incident.
Park Boys
Fantasy
32nd
6/24/2018 4:48am
What a shit deal, he was starting to ride like the 14-15 version of himself. The guy that beat Webb and Musquin for titles and then this happened. Was robbed of a O/A the week before at High Point and now possibly robbed of a third championship. Hope he heals up quickly and can come out swinging next year.
6/24/2018 4:48am
I haven’t raced in 18 years but.... to lay blame on Cooper as it’s seems some have is bullshit. You’re on a high hp machine trying to go as fast as you possibly can jumping obstacles with a bunch of other guys doing the same in close bar banging proximity - what could go wrong? Heal up quickly Mr. Martin.
PastranaWho
6/24/2018 4:54am
Wishing him a full recovery, it could've been alot worse. I see the guy lining up next year , it's what they are born to do.
observeroffacts
Fantasy
3717th
6/24/2018 5:08am Edited Date/Time 6/24/2018 5:10am
swatdoc wrote:
Unless you can ride with an airbag or 2 feet of absorbent foam on your butt, there really is no protective gear that will prevent a...
Unless you can ride with an airbag or 2 feet of absorbent foam on your butt, there really is no protective gear that will prevent a vertebral burst fracture. It's caused by excessive "axial loading" - basically the force is going straight up your spine - usually from landing on your butt. There just isn't anything other than a few inches (more for some) of fat and muscle to absorb some of the impact. In Doug's case, he didn't land directly on his butt - he was still on his bike - but once the suspension bottomed out, his bike became almost as solid as the ground - hence the same type of injury. It's just a risk we take. Fortunately with most of our crashes, we can either absorb some of the impact with our legs, or we can roll with the impact to spread it out a bit.
I’ll just leave this here....I’ve posted it multiple times in the past. We are indefinitely nearing the point that this technology being reappropriated for Moto is necessary IMO

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zKeqmjAzv9E

TXDirt
6/24/2018 6:10am
Really gutted for him. He was just staring to get into his grove. I love the way he rides. Praying for a complete recovery.
andy
6/24/2018 6:11am
Shut up about fault.
fpandjic
6/24/2018 6:16am Edited Date/Time 6/24/2018 6:17am
I think your wrong. Jmart landed lined up with where he took off (look at track markers). His front guard turned mid flight but not because...
I think your wrong. Jmart landed lined up with where he took off (look at track markers). His front guard turned mid flight but not because he was moving to the right..
On the first lap in a bit of traffic staying on the side like Jmart did is usually safest option, it’s so unfortunate...
It is even more obvious that JMart went to the right if you look at track markers. If you just take a look at the first pic, you can see him slightly leaning to right like he cross-rutted.

Btw, play the yt video at 0.25 speed (icon settings-speed-0.25x) and from my perspective, Cooper didn't do anything wrong.

Either way, it is sad to see something like this and luckily they both got out of there with no "serious" injuries (JM is seriously injured, but it is much better that what it was thought at first). A friend of mine has had a burst fracture in its spine, but unfortunately he is still struggling with feeling below waist. The biggest problem for him is the calcination and that could also be a problem for JMart.
TXDirt
6/24/2018 6:17am
swatdoc wrote:
Unless you can ride with an airbag or 2 feet of absorbent foam on your butt, there really is no protective gear that will prevent a...
I’ll just leave this here....I’ve posted it multiple times in the past. We are indefinitely nearing the point that this technology being reappropriated for Moto is...
I’ll just leave this here....I’ve posted it multiple times in the past. We are indefinitely nearing the point that this technology being reappropriated for Moto is necessary IMO

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zKeqmjAzv9E

He didn't hurt his head. So what good would this have done. Helmet technology has made more advances in the last 5 years then in all of the previous 30 years.
Fourth_Floor
6/24/2018 6:49am
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/06/24/270052/s1200_wp_ss_20180624_0001.jpg[/img]

Awesome news!!
tkimb
6/24/2018 7:14am
I think your wrong. Jmart landed lined up with where he took off (look at track markers). His front guard turned mid flight but not because...
Not saying it was anyones fault, but the track markers make it more obvious JMart went over too. In the first pics he's tight to the left side, the last pic hes near middle of the track.
swatdoc
6/24/2018 7:42am
observeroffacts:

Cool video and awesome technology, but like TXD said, he didn't hurt his head. There is literally no protective gear out there currently to prevent this type of injury.

Post a reply to: Jmart

The Latest