Front end "wobble" in the air

samifan
Hey guys quick question,

Was able to ride outside today for the first time this year and got reminded of this weird "wobble" I sometimes feel in air. I'm not exactly sure what causes it, but sometimes when I jump, especially off of higher speed rough takeoffs or windier conditions, I get this feeling like I can almost feel my front wheel spinning and sliding out from under me. I'm a big guy (6' 7") and run a 2tall kit, so I was just chalking it up the bar raisers, but watching my gopro video from this afternoon, I noticed on a table where it really wobbled hard and got me a little sketchy, my front wheel wasn't turning. Would dragging my front brake in the air cause a feeling like this? I always run a finger on the brake and after watching the video I'm wondering if I tense up and drag the brake in certain situations. Anybody have any theories?

-Sam

|
3/25/2017 8:52pm Edited Date/Time 3/26/2017 5:42am
True your wheel.

Make sure your disc isn't bent somewhere and that your front brake isn't dragging. Always take your fingers off the front brake in the air.
TheGetFresh
Fantasy
2562nd
3/26/2017 12:29am
The rare first answer is best answer... listen to that guy ^
Crush
3/26/2017 2:51am
Yup... Otherwise rotor or potentially shot bearings.
smoothies862
Fantasy
787th
3/26/2017 5:54am Edited Date/Time 3/26/2017 5:57am
above and or.check your front wheel play when on the stand. side to side. like crush said. bearings might be shot. does it spin freely on the stand? you will see if doesn't spin true from the front. could be all of the above.Unsure

The Shop

kkawboy14
3/26/2017 6:01am
It's the wind catching your bike. Whip the bike into the wind when you jump. The bike is a bigger object so it moves in the wind more than you do.
Steve125
Fantasy
2787th
3/26/2017 6:21am
kkawboy14 wrote:
It's the wind catching your bike. Whip the bike into the wind when you jump. The bike is a bigger object so it moves in the...
It's the wind catching your bike. Whip the bike into the wind when you jump. The bike is a bigger object so it moves in the wind more than you do.
I agree.. I've felt the same thing and it was definitely a cross wind.
RickA
3/26/2017 8:23am
samifan wrote:
Hey guys quick question, Was able to ride outside today for the first time this year and got reminded of this weird "wobble" I sometimes feel...
Hey guys quick question,

Was able to ride outside today for the first time this year and got reminded of this weird "wobble" I sometimes feel in air. I'm not exactly sure what causes it, but sometimes when I jump, especially off of higher speed rough takeoffs or windier conditions, I get this feeling like I can almost feel my front wheel spinning and sliding out from under me. I'm a big guy (6' 7") and run a 2tall kit, so I was just chalking it up the bar raisers, but watching my gopro video from this afternoon, I noticed on a table where it really wobbled hard and got me a little sketchy, my front wheel wasn't turning. Would dragging my front brake in the air cause a feeling like this? I always run a finger on the brake and after watching the video I'm wondering if I tense up and drag the brake in certain situations. Anybody have any theories?

-Sam

Balance your wheels. I've never understood having a heavy rim lock on one side of the tire and having them out of balance by over 3 ounces. That would make your car shake like a paint shaker.

Ya ya, i understand mud gets stuck to the rim and throws it of a balance as well. Start balanced, it makes a difference. That's what your feeling, more pronounced at higher speeds and unloaded in the air
RickA
3/26/2017 8:24am
Never mind, I didn't see you say your wheel quit spinning. Fix your bent rotor.
aees
3/26/2017 9:16am
could also be uneven brake pads
wildbill
3/26/2017 11:13am
All of the above. Smile

I like your assessment of "tensing up". I remember holding a finger out and ready in a whoop section. My finger got to bouncing so much that it stopped my front wheel causing an unplanned for nose wheely into the hairpin. Scary shit! Saved that one though.

Post a reply to: Front end "wobble" in the air

The Latest