Front Door kicked in - BIKE STOLEN - NorCal - Please look.

mtl
Edited Date/Time 12/23/2015 10:15am
Came home from the gym yesterday and my front door looked like this:

A 2012 that I was selling was stolen. Picture is below. Bike had a lock through the rear sprocket and was carried out of the house. If anyone comes across anything in NorCal, SoCal or Reno please contact me. It was located in San Francisco.

Contact info: mtl@mit.edu 1-(518)-727-4181

Also posted it to instagram @mtl678: https://www.instagram.com/p/_fAi-YG1_1/?taken-by=mtl678

Identifying parts -
- NEW STOCK 2012 plastics on a 2012
- NEW MX31 Front Tire
- NEW Stock Exhaust
- Acerbis one piece seat
- Greater Boston Motorsports graphics on swingarm
- Last 3 digits of VIN are 180

|
newmann
12/19/2015 11:42am
Sorry to hear. Hate a f'n thief!
AHRMA361
Fantasy
180th
12/19/2015 12:00pm
That really sucks!
Just curious, since you had it for sale, had you been in contact with anyone that was interested in it? Had you given anyone details about where you were located? Had anybody been to your place to look at it and not buy it?

I would save any and all phone numbers and names you got from it being for sale and follow up there first.
DirtDiggler
12/19/2015 12:04pm
Check who knew it was there.

You know your friend that's got the shady friends....that guy.
Hcallz5
12/19/2015 12:29pm
Check who knew it was there.

You know your friend that's got the shady friends....that guy.
This. Do you post pictures of the bike on Facebook or Instagram? Are your profiles set to public? This could be a start to finding it.

The Shop

Uncle Tony
12/19/2015 12:35pm
Oh man that sucks hope you get your bike back and they catch the crooks, I learned my lesson years ago always lock the front wheel it makes it a lot harder for the crooks
mtl
12/19/2015 1:05pm
The bike was up for sale.

An Oakland phone number called me about around the same time my neighbor hear a loud bang (door being busted down)...

The phone still rang this morning when I called it. Now straight to voicemail...
DirtDiggler
12/19/2015 2:12pm
mtl wrote:
The bike was up for sale. An Oakland phone number called me about around the same time my neighbor hear a loud bang (door being busted...

An Oakland phone number called me about around the same time my neighbor hear a loud bang (door being busted down)...

The phone still rang this morning when I called it. Now straight to voicemail...
You gave your address to someone to come see it?
If so, I got nothing for that.

Otherwise, coincidence? Or they called to not hear it ring in the house ?
jtiger12
12/19/2015 2:21pm
Did you have bike insurance?
NeedMoto
12/19/2015 2:30pm
Those FUCKERS!!! I hate thieves!!!

I'm in NORCAL, and frequent all the riding places. I'll for sure keep eye out!
sandman768
12/19/2015 2:41pm
That sucks..... Figured a high tech guy like you would have a chip on that bike....dont think that would happen in Mechanicville.....
h&m_cycle
12/19/2015 5:43pm
fucking sucks... alarm system or a sign and stickers
JM485
12/19/2015 6:57pm
Just saw Argyll/Club Moto posted this on their Instagram page. I ride pretty much everything around here, so I'll keep a look out. I really hope you get it back man!
mtl
12/19/2015 7:09pm
JM485 wrote:
Just saw Argyll/Club Moto posted this on their Instagram page. I ride pretty much everything around here, so I'll keep a look out. I really hope...
Just saw Argyll/Club Moto posted this on their Instagram page. I ride pretty much everything around here, so I'll keep a look out. I really hope you get it back man!
Really nice of Mike to do that.

Unfortunately, my intuition tells me that someone is practicing their wheelies on my bike some in Oakland right now...

Argyll should be great tomorrow. Supposed to start raining at 1pm, Im trying to be first guy on the track =)
dsmith
Fantasy
1470th
12/19/2015 7:18pm
jeeezz...that really f'n sucks...i feel for ya...yeah.....someone knew it was there or...someone who was already in that house...
ToolMaker
Fantasy
726th
12/19/2015 7:27pm
My understanding is that when you take photos with your phone camera and also GPS enabled cameras, the location of the photo is embedded in the pic. So when you post to craigslist or such the person can right click and know exactly where you were when you took the pic. They can find you this way.
I hate thieves.
SEE ARE125
12/19/2015 7:29pm
You order a pizza lately? I had a bike stolen once when I was 15. Turned out to be the pizza delivery guy. Came over to deliver a pizza, saw the bike, came back that night to get it. Luckily I got it back though and it wasn't all ragged out.
JM485
12/19/2015 9:13pm
JM485 wrote:
Just saw Argyll/Club Moto posted this on their Instagram page. I ride pretty much everything around here, so I'll keep a look out. I really hope...
mtl wrote:
Really nice of Mike to do that. Unfortunately, my intuition tells me that someone is practicing their wheelies on my bike some in Oakland right now...
Really nice of Mike to do that.

Unfortunately, my intuition tells me that someone is practicing their wheelies on my bike some in Oakland right now...

Argyll should be great tomorrow. Supposed to start raining at 1pm, Im trying to be first guy on the track =)
For sure, Mike's good dude. Hope you have a good day out there tomorrow, I rode club Wednesday night so I'm taking this weekend off, it should be great out there tomorrow for you though. I'm out there all the time in the summer months, sometimes in the winter if the hills are dry, but if you see me on my yz some time stop by and say what's up.
12/19/2015 9:56pm
Post this up on bayarearidersforum.com (BARF). I agree with you that its not going to show up at the track, its most likely on the street either in Hunters Point/Bayview or Oakland. Lots of folks riding around the bay area there and a number of bikes have been recovered. Sorry about your loss and good luck!
12/19/2015 10:42pm Edited Date/Time 12/19/2015 10:43pm
mtl wrote:
The bike was up for sale. An Oakland phone number called me about around the same time my neighbor hear a loud bang (door being busted...

Get s throw away phone. List a other bike for sale in a month from that number. They'll call you. Set up to meet somewhere. Police might help but if they don't you're still meeting the guy.

The whole fuckin countries city streets are getting tore up. thanks chino.
Oldnslo
12/20/2015 1:07am
Sorry ....the only thing worst that a theif is another fucking theif....hope you get it back...
mxb2
12/20/2015 6:15am
I heard at budds creeks, they check out bikes, get license plate #, do research, get address, see if bikes are there, break in, steal your shit,. Insure your shit, i keep mine different locations. Pain in the ass sometimes, but peace of mind.
500guy
12/20/2015 6:29am
ToolMaker wrote:
My understanding is that when you take photos with your phone camera and also GPS enabled cameras, the location of the photo is embedded in the...
My understanding is that when you take photos with your phone camera and also GPS enabled cameras, the location of the photo is embedded in the pic. So when you post to craigslist or such the person can right click and know exactly where you were when you took the pic. They can find you this way.
I hate thieves.
Can anyone verify if this is true ? I have location services disabled on my phone, how would this work?
rcannon
12/20/2015 7:27am
From what you can see in the photo, this is 100% not a random act. Use my neighborhood as an example. If I wanted to steal a good dirt bike , and started kicking down random doors, I'd have to kick down over a hundred before I found the 3 people that have dirt bikes. So, who did you give the address to? I dont mean it like that, either, as how can you sell something if no one gets to look at it?

Even if all the pics are coded with your address, why take yours? I'm sure there were newer bikes on the classified.

slipdog
12/20/2015 7:43am
ToolMaker wrote:
My understanding is that when you take photos with your phone camera and also GPS enabled cameras, the location of the photo is embedded in the...
I hate thieves.
500guy wrote:
Can anyone verify if this is true ? I have location services disabled on my phone, how would this work?
Yeah WTF! I just listed my bike on CL Friday. I'll admit I'm not too technology savvy, but I do keep my GPS off all the time and also have a Shar pei and a Pit bull to watch my house.
MX114
12/20/2015 7:49am Edited Date/Time 12/20/2015 8:00am
Major bummer hope this has a good outcome somehow. It's happened before like when AJ Cantanzaro had his bike stolen at Atlanta and they found the guy thru social media postings of him riding it I think. Had something similar happen to me in the mid 90's when selling one of my RM 80's. Had a guy come look at it like he was interested then came back a couple nights later trying to rip my bikes off out of our garage. Luckily my neighbors daughter was outside in a car with her BF haha and they startled the culprits and they took off. Lesson learned I always take my bikes for sale to a public place now and keep my personal info to very minimal. Good luck bro
moto726
12/20/2015 7:56am Edited Date/Time 12/20/2015 7:57am
500guy wrote:
It is true. However you can fix the issue by going into your settings and turning your location services(iPhone) off which basically turns your gps off and will make it so you can post pics without leaving a gps tag. Also keeps from listing approximate locations when you post on Facebook.

Also just read the rest of your post lol...you should be fine
mxnick
12/20/2015 1:12pm Edited Date/Time 12/20/2015 1:13pm
mtl wrote:
Came home from the gym yesterday and my front door looked like this: [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2015/12/19/115854/s1200_20151218_215349_resized.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2015/12/19/115852/s1200_20151218_215411_resized.jpg[/img] A 2012 that I was selling was stolen. Picture is below...
Came home from the gym yesterday and my front door looked like this:

A 2012 that I was selling was stolen. Picture is below. Bike had a lock through the rear sprocket and was carried out of the house. If anyone comes across anything in NorCal, SoCal or Reno please contact me. It was located in San Francisco.

Contact info: mtl@mit.edu 1-(518)-727-4181

Also posted it to instagram @mtl678: https://www.instagram.com/p/_fAi-YG1_1/?taken-by=mtl678

Identifying parts -
- NEW STOCK 2012 plastics on a 2012
- NEW MX31 Front Tire
- NEW Stock Exhaust
- Acerbis one piece seat
- Greater Boston Motorsports graphics on swingarm
- Last 3 digits of VIN are 180

MTL, that sucks. I am down in the San Jose area and sometimes use Craigs to sell stuff. Thats scary to know.

Had you given your address to anyone to come look? Kicking down a door (like yours) and stealing a motocross bike is not exactly a random act, so it had to be someone who knew it was there or had wanted to come to see it.

Good luck, ill keep my eyes peeled.

I am guessing the streets of Oakland are probably a more likely location for the bike than our local tracks, but you never know.

Those GBM swingarm decals are not exactly very common out here.

Also try listing the bike and VIN on the Southbayriders forum as well as BARF. Make sure you report stolen to both SFPD and CHP, though I am guessing both agencies probably have little interest beyond the administrative norm.
jeffro503
12/20/2015 1:30pm
ToolMaker wrote:
I hate thieves.
500guy wrote:
You know I had heard about this a few years ago. I have since then always taken pics with my actual camera and used the photo's from that. They look way better anyways. There are a lot of unknowingly people out there that have no idea that this could be a way for thieves to target people. Technology at it's best ( or worse in this case ).

Sorry to hear about your bike mtl. That freakin' sucks! I'd be sick to my stomach if someone stole mine.

Post a reply to: Front Door kicked in - BIKE STOLEN - NorCal - Please look.

The Latest