Friends of Michael Goodwin - Blog

2/13/2012 10:26am
Walter wrote:
My experience has been that this is true in many cases, but certainly not all... Many who are very guilty pursue every legal avenue to get...
My experience has been that this is true in many cases, but certainly not all...

Many who are very guilty pursue every legal avenue to get out, to reduce time, or to gain a new trial which they believe will result in a better plea agreement or other end result.

I have had folks who entered guilty pleas continue a vigorous fight from prison.
FastEddy wrote:
Walter,let me ask you this.... How critical is jury selection in a circumstantial evidence case for the prosecution,in larger cases like this involving double homicides? Do...
Walter,let me ask you this....

How critical is jury selection in a circumstantial evidence case for the prosecution,in larger cases like this involving double homicides? Do you think that jury selection plays more of a larger role then the actual circumstantial evidence in the case does,in terms of getting a conviction?
Prosecutors hinted at a plea deal when considering whether or not to go for the death penalty. Goodwin, with no real evidence to tie him to...
Prosecutors hinted at a plea deal when considering whether or not to go for the death penalty. Goodwin, with no real evidence to tie him to the murders and having been essentially cleared in November of 1988 with another suspect having confessed to two people, flunked 3 polygraph tests specifically on the Thompson murders, knew facts about the case that had never been made public, knew Thompson, among other incriminating things----Det. Griggs had developed this strong suspect and dropped Goodwin----Goodwin said he'd never plead guilty to something he didn't do. This suspect is one of the two scenarios that Saris attempted to introduce but the court would not allow it. The jury foreman, following the conviction, having seen this evidence in one of the many stories about the case, said the verdict would have been far different had the jury been presented with either scenariou/suspects.
It isn't the media's fault. They assume that what the D.A. give them is true and supported by evidence. This is not always the case as is evidenced by the program on NBC last night, Sunday, "Conviction" where media was given information that turned out to be wrong. Then there's the 289 who have been exonerated, mostly due to bad witness statements and freed due to DNA testing. I'm not on a soap box proclaiming Goodwin's innocence since only he and the killers can be sure of that. I'm saying he was wrongfully convicted. If his appeal gets him a new trial, perhaps there will be evidence that will tie him to the murders and we'll be done, or not. In any event, it was not a fair trial and that will come out, in one form or another, I feel confident, if an appeal is ever filed. That it has taken 5 years is criminal.
agency399
2/13/2012 1:06pm
FastEddy wrote:
Walter,let me ask you this.... How critical is jury selection in a circumstantial evidence case for the prosecution,in larger cases like this involving double homicides? Do...
Walter,let me ask you this....

How critical is jury selection in a circumstantial evidence case for the prosecution,in larger cases like this involving double homicides? Do you think that jury selection plays more of a larger role then the actual circumstantial evidence in the case does,in terms of getting a conviction?
Prosecutors hinted at a plea deal when considering whether or not to go for the death penalty. Goodwin, with no real evidence to tie him to...
Prosecutors hinted at a plea deal when considering whether or not to go for the death penalty. Goodwin, with no real evidence to tie him to the murders and having been essentially cleared in November of 1988 with another suspect having confessed to two people, flunked 3 polygraph tests specifically on the Thompson murders, knew facts about the case that had never been made public, knew Thompson, among other incriminating things----Det. Griggs had developed this strong suspect and dropped Goodwin----Goodwin said he'd never plead guilty to something he didn't do. This suspect is one of the two scenarios that Saris attempted to introduce but the court would not allow it. The jury foreman, following the conviction, having seen this evidence in one of the many stories about the case, said the verdict would have been far different had the jury been presented with either scenariou/suspects.
It isn't the media's fault. They assume that what the D.A. give them is true and supported by evidence. This is not always the case as...
It isn't the media's fault. They assume that what the D.A. give them is true and supported by evidence. This is not always the case as is evidenced by the program on NBC last night, Sunday, "Conviction" where media was given information that turned out to be wrong. Then there's the 289 who have been exonerated, mostly due to bad witness statements and freed due to DNA testing. I'm not on a soap box proclaiming Goodwin's innocence since only he and the killers can be sure of that. I'm saying he was wrongfully convicted. If his appeal gets him a new trial, perhaps there will be evidence that will tie him to the murders and we'll be done, or not. In any event, it was not a fair trial and that will come out, in one form or another, I feel confident, if an appeal is ever filed. That it has taken 5 years is criminal.
I have a huge amount of respect for what you are doing.
Sherwood
2/13/2012 1:30pm
Sherwood wrote:
Birds of a feather...
if you have something to say why don't you just fucking say it....
yeah, i get it, your so cool you don't have to...
Birds of a feather flock together.

Didn't think I needed to spell it out for you.
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
2/13/2012 1:33pm
I've written several lengthy responses to address some of the questions asked and issues presented on this forum, posted them, they appeared here but are now...
I've written several lengthy responses to address some of the questions asked and issues presented on this forum, posted them, they appeared here but are now gone. Does anyone know why?
It's a giant conspiracy. Smile

The Shop

2/13/2012 1:48pm
You could not be more correct about a conspiracy!! There's ample evidence of that but the players are so powerful in Los Angeles that Goodwin will be extremely lucky to ever get out, let alone do anything about the conspiracy.
2/13/2012 1:54pm
Sherwood wrote:
Birds of a feather...
if you have something to say why don't you just fucking say it....
yeah, i get it, your so cool you don't have to...
Sherwood wrote:
Birds of a feather flock together.

Didn't think I needed to spell it out for you.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion. It seems to me that your being on this forum just pisses you off. There are plenty of forums out there that agree with you on Goodwin where you might find more traction for such an opinion. Or, you can start a new topic "like, Those who think Goodwin killed the Thompsons." My guess is that such a forum would be jam packed with people who share your opinion.
Sherwood
2/13/2012 1:57pm Edited Date/Time 2/13/2012 1:58pm
You could not be more correct about a conspiracy!! There's ample evidence of that but the players are so powerful in Los Angeles that Goodwin will...
You could not be more correct about a conspiracy!! There's ample evidence of that but the players are so powerful in Los Angeles that Goodwin will be extremely lucky to ever get out, let alone do anything about the conspiracy.
A man was framed for hiring someone to kill someone, they managed to convince an entire jury he did it, he can't get a single appeal and yet not a single news organization wants anything to do with such an amazing story and not a single politican/up and comer lawyer wants to make a name for himself?
2/13/2012 1:58pm
It isn't the media's fault. They assume that what the D.A. give them is true and supported by evidence. This is not always the case as...
agency399 wrote:
I have a huge amount of respect for what you are doing.
There are many others who have helped and supported Goodwin over the years. Recently, I've done little and a few of his friends and supporters have kept things going; that is to say, given Goodwin hope of someday getting a new trial and/or real justice. Thanks for your kudos, though!
2/13/2012 2:23pm
It just sucks to know that in our corrupt system if 12 people "think" you did it...You did it.

The lesson learned here is never "threaten" to kill someone. Just wack 'em on the D.L.
2/13/2012 2:58pm Edited Date/Time 2/13/2012 3:04pm
You could not be more correct about a conspiracy!! There's ample evidence of that but the players are so powerful in Los Angeles that Goodwin will...
Sherwood wrote:
A man was framed for hiring someone to kill someone, they managed to convince an entire jury he did it, he can't get a single appeal...
A man was framed for hiring someone to kill someone, they managed to convince an entire jury he did it, he can't get a single appeal and yet not a single news organization wants anything to do with such an amazing story and not a single politican/up and comer lawyer wants to make a name for himself?
You are very niave. You should avail yourself of the facts before making such cynical comments.

There are legions of cases like Goodwin's. Estimates run in the hundreds of thousands, out of a jail population of 2.2 million in the U.S., the country that imprisons more, per 100,000 population, than any other country on earth, where records are kept. Look at www.InnocenceProject. org. A "corner" attorney who "wants to make a name for himself" could not possibly handle this case. It would require a staff of investigators, paralegals and virtually all the attorney's time. Even law firms, who dedicate a portion of their case load to pro bono work, have shied away from this case because of its massive complexity, spanning more than twenty years, many lawsuits, many, many thousands of pages of discovery, exhibits, witness statements, dozens of attorneys who have been involved in the past.

The reason cited for no appeal, thus far? The state stop paying the court appointed attorney who had to make a living, notwithstanding the 4 years of work done on the appeal and the extreme complexity of the case, far, far above the level of 99% of such cases.

He's only entitled to one appeal on this convicton without extenuating circumstances.

The only politician involved in this case is the man who prosecuted Goodwin, Alan Jackson, who is running for D.A. of Los Angeles. No other politican would touch this case, given the prominence of those others oppossed to Goodwin. What politician would align himself with a convicted double-murderer?

CBS' "48 Hours" did cover this case with two one-hour programs. They taped the trial and continue to run segments every few months, more than a dozen airings since 2004. They'll be airing another update soon.

It isn't necessary for you to continue including the inappropriate Brian Katz quote. I'm not inclinded to live by the tenents of a basketball coach, especially in these circumstances. This is not a game.
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
2/13/2012 3:06pm
I meant a conspiracy about those "missing" posts. Smile
Sherwood
2/13/2012 3:07pm
You are very niave. You should avail yourself of the facts before making such cynical comments. There are legions of cases like Goodwin's. Estimates run in...
You are very niave. You should avail yourself of the facts before making such cynical comments.

There are legions of cases like Goodwin's. Estimates run in the hundreds of thousands, out of a jail population of 2.2 million in the U.S., the country that imprisons more, per 100,000 population, than any other country on earth, where records are kept. Look at www.InnocenceProject. org. A "corner" attorney who "wants to make a name for himself" could not possibly handle this case. It would require a staff of investigators, paralegals and virtually all the attorney's time. Even law firms, who dedicate a portion of their case load to pro bono work, have shied away from this case because of its massive complexity, spanning more than twenty years, many lawsuits, many, many thousands of pages of discovery, exhibits, witness statements, dozens of attorneys who have been involved in the past.

The reason cited for no appeal, thus far? The state stop paying the court appointed attorney who had to make a living, notwithstanding the 4 years of work done on the appeal and the extreme complexity of the case, far, far above the level of 99% of such cases.

He's only entitled to one appeal on this convicton without extenuating circumstances.

The only politician involved in this case is the man who prosecuted Goodwin, Alan Jackson, who is running for D.A. of Los Angeles. No other politican would touch this case, given the prominence of those others oppossed to Goodwin. What politician would align himself with a convicted double-murderer?

CBS' "48 Hours" did cover this case with two one-hour programs. They taped the trial and continue to run segments every few months, more than a dozen airings since 2004. They'll be airing another update soon.

It isn't necessary for you to continue including the inappropriate Brian Katz quote. I'm not inclinded to live by the tenents of a basketball coach, especially in these circumstances. This is not a game.
The Brian Katz quote is my signature. It appears at the bottom of every post of mine and has nothing to do with this thread or anyone involved in it.

You seem like a nice guy. How'd you find this place?
FanMan
2/13/2012 3:23pm
Mr. Bradley keep in mind you may be the only person in this thread that knows or has even spoken to Mike Goodwin. Since asking Mike is out of the question, what happened to Lynn Saunders? His title in the 70s was probably president of Stadium Motorsports. Also what happened with Mike's lawsuit against the Janis Joplin estate? Thanks.
2/13/2012 3:49pm
You are very niave. You should avail yourself of the facts before making such cynical comments. There are legions of cases like Goodwin's. Estimates run in...

Sherwood wrote:
The Brian Katz quote is my signature. It appears at the bottom of every post of mine and has nothing to do with this thread or...
The Brian Katz quote is my signature. It appears at the bottom of every post of mine and has nothing to do with this thread or anyone involved in it.

You seem like a nice guy. How'd you find this place?
That the quote is part of your signature is not apparent, or, at least, it wasn't to me, obviously. I found this forum on a Google search for what there was out there on Goodwin.
2/13/2012 3:54pm
FanMan wrote:
Mr. Bradley keep in mind you may be the only person in this thread that knows or has even spoken to Mike Goodwin. Since asking Mike...
Mr. Bradley keep in mind you may be the only person in this thread that knows or has even spoken to Mike Goodwin. Since asking Mike is out of the question, what happened to Lynn Saunders? His title in the 70s was probably president of Stadium Motorsports. Also what happened with Mike's lawsuit against the Janis Joplin estate? Thanks.
Lyn was an officer, president, I think, at SMC, Goodwin's company (Stadium Motorsports Company) but not from '81 to '90 when I was there. He's still around. I do hear from him from time to time.

I'm not aware of such a lawsuit, though that doesn't mean he didn't file one. I'll try to remember to ask him about that the next time I talk to or correspond with him. He was arrested in late 2001 and, though we had the case dismissed in 2004, he's been in jail or prison ever since. He's got bigger fish to fry now than any lawsuit he may have had going in 2001.
2/13/2012 3:56pm
GuyB wrote:
I meant a conspiracy about those "missing" posts. Smile
Well, neverthless, Goodwin contends and there a lot of evidence pointing to a conspiracy leading up to his conviction.
2/13/2012 4:18pm Edited Date/Time 2/13/2012 9:14pm
It just sucks to know that in our corrupt system if 12 people "think" you did it...You did it. The lesson learned here is never "threaten"...
It just sucks to know that in our corrupt system if 12 people "think" you did it...You did it.

The lesson learned here is never "threaten" to kill someone. Just wack 'em on the D.L.
The jury foreman said that they pretty much ignored the "sighting of Goodwin by a neighbor in a station wagon prior to the murders" since it was so weak and finally, they voted to convict based on the fact that they felt he "had no moral compass." (Whether or not that is true is debatable.) In the end, it boiled down to what it does at many trials, a prosecutorial given, if not the defendant, then who? Proseclutors successfully prevented the defense from introducing the substanstial evidence of other suspects. There were two scenarios that would have effectively eliminated Goodwin. The defense attorney was overwhelmed by the 2nd highest ranking prosecutor in the L.A. D.A.'s office and a "young gun," now running for D.A. in L.A., who was mentored by Pat Dixon, lead prosecutor.

Once they eliminated that evidence, she was pretty much finished. The prosecutors portrayed Goodwin as a monster capable of such awful crimes and, without anyone else to point to, that was it. Prosecutors didn't have far to go since Goodwin was ruthless, devious, with a "take-no-prisoners" attitude in business, proud of success by intimidation and was hated by many, many of whom testifed at the trial. (Not to mention that Mickey's sister had posted a $1 million reward for "information leading to the arrest and conviction of the killer(s) of Mickey Thompson.")

The fact is, Goodwin proably did not threaten Mickey. Settlement was immenent, plenty of evidence on that, and Goodwin would have been a fool to have had Mickey killed before the settlement they had worked on for 3 years. Mickey told me at a TV studio in San Diego that settlement documents had been received by his attorney that morning and he thought it looked good. This was just a few days before the murders. There's also documentary evidence of this. I think Mickey would have said something to me if Goodwin was threatening him. He didn't. And, why didn't he just call the police? Seems that if he had, we wouldn't be talking about this now. Mickey was being threatened, he wore a bullet-proof vest, but it wasn't Goodwin.

But, that said, you're right about threatening to kill someone; never a good idea. I don't know about "wacking them on the down low, though. Seems like there's always some other solution. I know you were being facitious.
exsarg
2/13/2012 6:39pm
the most interesting and intelligent thread ever on vital !!
zippy895
2/13/2012 6:42pm
exsarg wrote:
the most interesting and intelligent thread ever on vital !!
yea , and all we were missing is an attorney and somebody behind bars Sad

Post a reply to: Friends of Michael Goodwin - Blog

The Latest