Friends of Michael Goodwin - Blog

FastEddy
Fantasy
890th
2/11/2012 10:41am
Walter wrote:
My experience has been that this is true in many cases, but certainly not all... Many who are very guilty pursue every legal avenue to get...
My experience has been that this is true in many cases, but certainly not all...

Many who are very guilty pursue every legal avenue to get out, to reduce time, or to gain a new trial which they believe will result in a better plea agreement or other end result.

I have had folks who entered guilty pleas continue a vigorous fight from prison.
Walter,let me ask you this....

How critical is jury selection in a circumstantial evidence case for the prosecution,in larger cases like this involving double homicides? Do you think that jury selection plays more of a larger role then the actual circumstantial evidence in the case does,in terms of getting a conviction?
Walter
2/11/2012 11:13am
Fast Eddy:

One cannot generalize either way. Both are important.

Jury selection is always very important in any case.

The choice of where your jury pool comes from is a big factor in some cases. In the Simpson case, the LA DA's office is said by some to have made a huge error by charging in LA rather than OC. In LA the jury pool in general may have much more distrust of the police than the more conservative pool in OC. They are said to have recognized that at the start , but decided to go into LA anyway.

The jury you get is largely beyond the control of the lawyers. Sure there are premptory challenges, but the number is limited. The challenges for cause are hard to win in many cases. What this means is if the pool is bad for you, you can maybe make it a little better, but you still have a bad pool.

The kind of case can figure into this as well. In a cop who shoots a kid case (cop is the defendant), a jury from downtown LA is worse for the defense. In a white collar case that is really a business dispute, a jury from OC is good for the defense.

A circumstantial case is harder for a prosecutor to win. That said, if skillfully handled, and the facts are there (good or many little ones), convictions follow in a lot of circumstantial only cases.

The end result is always the copmposite of the interplay of many different factors, not just one. In different cases the weights one might give to various factors changes.

This is a people system: in some situations you can try an identical case in front of different juries and get vastly different results. That is sometimes very scary for both sides.
FastEddy
Fantasy
890th
2/11/2012 11:37am
Walter wrote:
[i]Fast Eddy:[/i] One cannot generalize either way. Both are important. Jury selection is always very important in any case. The choice of where your jury pool...
Fast Eddy:

One cannot generalize either way. Both are important.

Jury selection is always very important in any case.

The choice of where your jury pool comes from is a big factor in some cases. In the Simpson case, the LA DA's office is said by some to have made a huge error by charging in LA rather than OC. In LA the jury pool in general may have much more distrust of the police than the more conservative pool in OC. They are said to have recognized that at the start , but decided to go into LA anyway.

The jury you get is largely beyond the control of the lawyers. Sure there are premptory challenges, but the number is limited. The challenges for cause are hard to win in many cases. What this means is if the pool is bad for you, you can maybe make it a little better, but you still have a bad pool.

The kind of case can figure into this as well. In a cop who shoots a kid case (cop is the defendant), a jury from downtown LA is worse for the defense. In a white collar case that is really a business dispute, a jury from OC is good for the defense.

A circumstantial case is harder for a prosecutor to win. That said, if skillfully handled, and the facts are there (good or many little ones), convictions follow in a lot of circumstantial only cases.

The end result is always the copmposite of the interplay of many different factors, not just one. In different cases the weights one might give to various factors changes.

This is a people system: in some situations you can try an identical case in front of different juries and get vastly different results. That is sometimes very scary for both sides.
Thanks.
2/11/2012 12:24pm
Walter wrote:
We have recently been down this road... http://www.vitalmx.com/forums/Moto-Related,20/what-really-happening-now-for-Michael-Goodwin,1229946 "...but just the fact he was never tied to the crimes..." That ignores the eyeball testimony (albeit very...
We have recently been down this road...

http://www.vitalmx.com/forums/Moto-Related,20/what-really-happening-now…;

"...but just the fact he was never tied to the crimes..." That ignores the eyeball testimony (albeit very shaky) that put him watching the house the day of the murders.

"...was convicted on what the prosecutors and witnesses said about his "moral character." " There was a lot more than bad moral character testimony presented. The fact he made numerous death threats towards MT probably did not help Goodwin's defense or jury appeal. There was a lot of motive evidence presented as well. The neighbor eyeball testimony about the circumstances and sequence of the killings sure played into a revenge killing theory (that brought the motive and threats nicely into focus) as well.

It is probably painting with a very broad brush to say that every legal professional who has looked at this says he was wrongfully convicted and that everyone knows the trial was flawed.

It truly was a circumstantial case, but folks are convicted on circumstantial evidence every day.

If he was truly innocent, and this is such a miscarriage, then why did he not testify in his own defense to refute the testimony that he was there watching the day the killings took place, to say that all of the threats were just bluster, to say that the motive evidence was false,...and to loudly state that he did not order the hits.....?

No dog in this fight and I fully recognize that every story has at least two sides. Just trying to bring a little balance to the discussion.

As a veteran of 4 decades of trying criminal cases, I too am baffled why the appeal has taken so long to file.
The eyeball testimony was so extraordinarily weak that the jury ignored it in the deliberations. It played only a minor role, deservedly so, in the conviction, though prosecutors did feature it. This, from the jury foreman, following the conviction. The “witnesses” were not neighbors but their house was more than ¾ mile from the Thompsons’ with absolutely no view of the house, on the other side of a hill. The both the line-up and “six pack” ID’s were conducted far outside law enforcement parameters for such procedures, bordering on, if not actually, being illegal. The officer who conducted them grossly misrepresented them on the witness stand. The two witnesses testified to a far different “sighting” than their original declarations, the wife not even seeing this mystery person at all, originally, but, in court, pointing to Goodwin and saying that was who she’d seen 13 years prior for what her husband admits he saw for only seconds. Give me a break! That’s not all, but I won’t go into it here. I have seen the transcripts from both ID procedures. The single largest factor in wrongful convictions is bad witness ID’s. Check the Innocence Project, now 280 innocents exonerated, many due to poor witness ID’s.
There was a lot of “motive” evidence presented, little of it is real, however. Goodwin could not have benefited from Mickey’s death, only family members could have. That’s why they ceased on this “rage” angle. When it is all said and done---all the real evidence compiled, Goodwin’s motive would have been to hire a body guard for Mickey when Mickey reported death threats that weren’t from Goodwin. Keeping Mickey alive was Goodwin’s best course. He had already put up more than $800,000 to pay the $726,000 judgment. While there was absolutely no reason for Goodwin to wanted to kill Mickey’s wife, Trudy, there were supposed to be two shooters. Why would anyone wanting to take out Mickey hire two shooters? The theory advanced at trial, that Goodwin wanted Mickey to see Trudy die, doesn’t pass the smell test by any stretch. The real evidence of who was actually at the murder scene is not clear, as prosecutors put forth, but very convoluted. Not even the race of the shooters is certain as some witnesses saw white men. This is why Goodwin has requested that the DNA collected from the murder scene be tested for ethnicity, not possible with methods in use when he was convicted in 2006. Although everyone, the court, law enforcement, Mickey’s family and others have all said they want to get the actual murderers, there is no on-going investigation and the court has refused to re-test the DNA. Talk about not passing the smell test!!
On legal professionals who have looked at this: it is true that EVERY legal professional that I know of who looked at this have said he was wrongfully convicted. Perhaps there are many legal professionals who disagree on this, but I haven’t talked to them.
Circumstantial evidence is often as valid as physical evidence, but , in this case, much of this evidence simply isn’t real. If Goodwin ever has an appeal filed, much of this false evidence that was presented in his trial will be refuted in that appeal and, if he prevails, as he should, in a re-trial.
It was never alleged, by anyone, that he was actually at the scene. He was never connected to the murders in any way, let alone being there. Defendants rarely testify at their own trials. There are many very good reasons for this.
We appreciate your attempt to bring out questions you may have on this case. This last January marks 5 years since the conviction so many questions remain. I suggest you watch Justice On Trial (www.JusticeOnTrial.org) for updates. I’ve not been working on the website for a long while due to other commitments; this is a non-profit and it has defined this term. I will be updating it in the next few weeks with public information.
We appreciate your comment on the extraordinary length of time that has elapsed between the conviction and the appeal. It is an outrage. Goodwin attempted to replace the appellate attorney in 2010 but the court refused to do so. Go figure!

The Shop

Walter
2/11/2012 12:55pm
John: I appreciate the fine work that your group and others like the Innocence Project (for which I have worked) do. We have articulated some differing views on a difficult subject that has many twists and turns.

As you well know, one does not retry a case on appeal. In the areas where there was fact finding, the clearly erroneous/abuse of discretion standard bars that. There are a host of other areas that could result in a new trial.

The last comment I'll make here (and will then go watch some drag racing and prepare for the SX tonight) is that many defendants do indeed testify at their trials. Sometimes there are reasons not to (such as a confession or a really bad prior bad act that might come in). MG (and his wife, I believe) did have a bank fraud felony conviction (from bogus loan applications, I think) that would have come out had he testified, but in a murder case that would not have been enough for me to suggest he not testify to make the exact points that you do in your recent post. There is nothing more compelling than an articulate defendant saying "I did not do this crime...."
2/11/2012 3:15pm
Walter wrote:
[i]PFitzG38: [/i] I am not sure of anything in this case...just trying to set out some matters on the other side of this that some one...
PFitzG38: I am not sure of anything in this case...just trying to set out some matters on the other side of this that some one sided blogs and posts shy away from...

As was beaten to death in the other thread, you just cannot comment on the quality of the evidence and the verdict unless you heard it all. So often it is the tone and texture of testimony or other evidence in the context of the entire trial drives the end result.

As for the eyeball that put MG there....it was very shaky...but that is what cross examination is for and I am sure a lot was done with it by the defense.
Well, I've been involved with this case since before Goodwin was arrested in 2001. I worked on the case with 5 attorneys in the Orange County case, which was dismissed on a venue issue (working with two attorneys and Justice on Trial, we were instrumental in that dismissal), I've known Goodwin since he worked for me from 1965 to 1969, I produced all the Supercross TV for 11 years, for both Mike and Mickey , and I worked closely with Goodwin during the L.A. trial but, as I was on the witness list, I was prohibited from attending. However, I did have representatives at the trial and was working closely with CBS 48 Hours' team. They taped the trial with the jury out of range of the camera. I have read portions of the trial record but, 418 key pages were withheld for more than 2 years with the D.A. clailming they had been "lost." Those were finally turned over late last year.

Yes, they were cross-examined but Ms. Saris, the defense attorney was up against Mr. Dixon, the top prosecutor and Alan Jackson, now running for L.A.D.A., largely due to the Mike Goodwin conviction, if you believe the video ads that are being run on his behalf with Mickey's sister featured in them. Saris was hopelessly overwhelmed and out classed by the Dixon/Jackson team. Judge Schwartz, who presided over the case, had worked directly under Mr. Dixon for years prior to taking a seat on the bench. She would not, however, recuse herself.

I do know whereof I speak on this evidence. Much of the significant evidence used in L.A. was the same as that the prosecutors presented at the preliminary hearing in Orange County, including the Stevens, whose initial claims were far different than what they testified to in L.A. I've been through, thoroughly, the 40,000+ pages of Orange County discovery and all the defense evidence. There is ample evidence of other suspects but Judge Schwartz would not allow it. Unfortunately, Saris had based much of her case on this evidence of two separate and different scenarios of the murders that would have effectively eliminated Goodwin. In a declaration following the trial, the jury foreman, having learned of this other evidence, said that, had the jury seen that evidence, the verdict would have, most assuredly, been different. The jury feeling was, with no other suspects, "if not the defendant, then who?" As you know, this is a common jury conclusion when the only absolutely established facts are that the victims are dead. Prosecutors characterized Goodwin as a monster capable of such a crime and the jury had nowhere else to go. Goodwin WAS ruthless, conniving, hated so prosecutors didn’t have to work too hard to show that.

I don't know if you're aware of the $1 million reward that had been offered by Mickey's family. If you do not think that had an influence on what witnesses said, then there's no sense in further discussion. You know, I’m not 100% convinced Goodwin is innocent; no one knows that except him and the killers. But, I do know he was wrongly convicted. Now here’s something to mull over: Following the conviction, when asked about the $1 million reward, Mickey’s sister said, “Well, one down, two to go!” meaning that there would be no payments of the reward and that an on-going investigation to find the shooters would be conducted. There was never a provision in the reward that all those involved would have to be convicted. Nothing has happened on the continuing investigation. Zero. Goodwin recently filed a motion to have the court re-test three DNA samples from the murder scene for ethnicity since the prosecution claimed the shooters were African American but some witnesses said they were white. The court, so far, has rejected that request on the grounds that elimination of Goodwin from having been at the murder scene is irrelevant.

It becomes obvious that, rather than attempting to find the shooters, the D.A. and the court would just as soon never find them. You have to wonder why that is as well as why Goodwin’s appeal has not been filed.
Bill_Carroll
Fantasy
745th
2/11/2012 3:43pm
Sherwood wrote:
Don't be a dick to people in real life.
That reminds me of a quote by a famous....
Marty McFly;- What do we become assholes or something?
2/11/2012 5:19pm
Well, I've been involved with this case since before Goodwin was arrested in 2001. I worked on the case with 5 attorneys in the Orange County case, which was dismissed on a venue issue (working with two attorneys and Justice on Trial, we were instrumental in that dismissal), I've known Goodwin since he worked for me from 1965 to 1969, I produced all the Supercross TV for 11 years, for both Mike and Mickey , and I worked closely with Goodwin during the L.A. trial but, as I was on the witness list, I was prohibited from attending. However, I did have representatives at the trial and was working closely with CBS 48 Hours' team. They taped the trial with the jury out of range of the camera. I have read portions of the trial record but, 418 key pages were withheld for more than 2 years with the D.A. clailming they had been "lost." Those were finally turned over late last year.

Yes, they were cross-examined but Ms. Saris, the defense attorney was up against Mr. Dixon, the top prosecutor and Alan Jackson, now running for L.A.D.A., largely due to the Mike Goodwin conviction, if you believe the video ads that are being run on his behalf with Mickey's sister featured in them. Saris was hopelessly overwhelmed and out classed by the Dixon/Jackson team. Judge Schwartz, who presided over the case, had worked directly under Mr. Dixon for years prior to taking a seat on the bench. She would not, however, recuse herself.

I do know whereof I speak on this evidence. Much of the significant evidence used in L.A. was the same as that the prosecutors presented at the preliminary hearing in Orange County, including the Stevens, whose initial claims were far different than what they testified to in L.A. I've been through, thoroughly, the 40,000+ pages of Orange County discovery and all the defense evidence. There is ample evidence of other suspects but Judge Schwartz would not allow it. Unfortunately, Saris had based much of her case on this evidence of two separate and different scenarios of the murders that would have effectively eliminated Goodwin. In a declaration following the trial, the jury foreman, having learned of this other evidence, said that, had the jury seen that evidence, the verdict would have, most assuredly, been different. The jury feeling was, with no other suspects, "if not the defendant, then who?" As you know, this is a common jury conclusion when the only absolutely established facts are that the victims are dead. Prosecutors characterized Goodwin as a monster capable of such a crime and the jury had nowhere else to go. Goodwin WAS ruthless, conniving, hated so prosecutors didn’t have to work too hard to show that.

I don't know if you're aware of the $1 million reward that had been offered by Mickey's family. If you do not think that had an influence on what witnesses said, then there's no sense in further discussion. You know, I’m not 100% convinced Goodwin is innocent; no one knows that except him and the killers. But, I do know he was wrongly convicted. Now here’s something to mull over: Following the conviction, when asked about the $1 million reward, Mickey’s sister said, “Well, one down, two to go!” meaning that there would be an on-going investigation to find the shooters. Nothing has happened on that. Goodwin recently filed a motion to have the court re-test three DNA samples from the murder scene for ethnicity since the prosecution claimed the shooters were African American but some witnesses said they were white. The court, so far, has rejected that request on the grounds that elimination of Goodwin from having been at the murder scene is irrelevant. It becomes obvious that, rather than attempting to find the shooters, the D.A. and the court would just as soon never find them. You have to wonder why that is as well as why Goodwin’s appeal has not been filed.
2/11/2012 5:36pm
Walter wrote:
[i]John:[/i] I appreciate the fine work that your group and others like the Innocence Project (for which I have worked) do. We have articulated some differing...
John: I appreciate the fine work that your group and others like the Innocence Project (for which I have worked) do. We have articulated some differing views on a difficult subject that has many twists and turns.

As you well know, one does not retry a case on appeal. In the areas where there was fact finding, the clearly erroneous/abuse of discretion standard bars that. There are a host of other areas that could result in a new trial.

The last comment I'll make here (and will then go watch some drag racing and prepare for the SX tonight) is that many defendants do indeed testify at their trials. Sometimes there are reasons not to (such as a confession or a really bad prior bad act that might come in). MG (and his wife, I believe) did have a bank fraud felony conviction (from bogus loan applications, I think) that would have come out had he testified, but in a murder case that would not have been enough for me to suggest he not testify to make the exact points that you do in your recent post. There is nothing more compelling than an articulate defendant saying "I did not do this crime...."
I actually recommended that he not testify. He wanted to and nearly talked his counsel into it. The problem is, he LOOKS guilty. I had seen him in similar circumstances before and there's just no way around it, he has that look....even sitting there, if you've seen the footage, he looks guilty. Also, I think he would have been crucified on cross. He’s a fast talker and since some of what was testified to did happen, I think he would have just affirmed the prosecutor’s position that he was a monster. Someone on the forum did say he was a dick, and he was. And, he was proud of victory through intimidation. His defense attorney admitted as much but went on to say, “…that doesn’t mean he’s a murderer.” But that fell on deaf ears. I think a cross examination by either Dixon or Jackson would have been devastating. We assumed the trial would be fair and couldn’t imagine the things that were conjured up.

Anyway, enjoy the drag races and Supercross. Thanks so much for your comments.
FanMan
2/11/2012 7:15pm
Mr. Bradley Mike has to appreciate the work you have done for him. If you worked with Mike back in the late 60s you should know him from his concert promoter days and possibly even his filming of the Great Barrier Reef. What is your take on Mike getting religious? That's very strange.
OW38B
Fantasy
181st
2/11/2012 7:28pm
A Hard Copy piece before Goodwins arrest.

2/12/2012 10:05am
I've written several lengthy responses to address some of the questions asked and issues presented on this forum, posted them, they appeared here but are now gone. Does anyone know why?
2/12/2012 3:16pm
FanMan wrote:
Mr. Bradley Mike has to appreciate the work you have done for him. If you worked with Mike back in the late 60s you should know...
Mr. Bradley Mike has to appreciate the work you have done for him. If you worked with Mike back in the late 60s you should know him from his concert promoter days and possibly even his filming of the Great Barrier Reef. What is your take on Mike getting religious? That's very strange.
Mike was working at Procter & Gamble when my partner and I hired him in about 1965. He worked for us for a couple of years and then went out on his own. We produced concerts in 11 western cities, did the first "acid rock" concerts in a few of those cities, and also did more “mainstream” acts like Ray Charles, The Supremes, etc. I went into the restaurant business in San Diego and Mike produced many successful concerts on his own, mostly in Northern California.

In 1981, I had lost a fortune on a failed restaurant chain in Hawaii and Mike hired me to do sponsor sales and produce his TV. I did produce virtually all Supercross TV until about 1992 when Lou Seals, then owner of the “Motoworld” cable TV program, took over. I produced TV for Mickey Thompson before he and Trudy were gunned down and for his company, Mickey Thompson Entertainment Group, after the brutal murders. I did remain friends with Goodwin throughout this time.
Goodwin was charged with “making false statements on a bank application,” not “bank fraud,” as has been alleged, and wound up serving three years in federal prison. I’ve seen the transcript of that trial and do have an opinion on it but won’t go there in this forum.

We have been associated in one way or the other, since 1965, so I do know him from his concert producing days.
Although we did stay in touch, I’m not familiar with any “filming of the Great Barrier Reef.” He and his ex-wife were expert still photographers and I believe he won awards on some of his underwater photos. He did have at least one showing at a prominent gallery in Laguna Beach.

Frankly, I don’t believe his “religious conversion,” and have told him this. I have known him more than 40 years and I just don’t see it. We had to tell him to stop carrying around the Bible when there were TV cameras since it looked so disingenuous, exactly what most inmates of jails and prisons do.

My position is that I do not know if he’s innocent. Only he and the killers know that. I do know that he was wrongfully convicted at a trial that was unfair. Everyone is entitled to a fair trial and, if there is ever an appeal filed, this may come out and he may have the opportunity to show ALL the evidence to a jury, especially evidence that he did not order the murders of Mickey and Trudy Thompson.
2/12/2012 3:40pm
Sherwood wrote:
Don't be a dick to people in real life.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion. You have yours; I have mine. I base my opinion, however, on having known and been a friend of Mickey’s for several years, and Mike for 40 years; known many other players in this case; having the opinion of many attorneys, most criminal attorneys, on the conduct of the trial; on seven years of dealing with the facts in this case as Managing Director of Justice On Trial; having reviewed more than 50,000 pages of prosecution discovery and other evidence; having dealt with many other criminal cases at Justice On Trial; among other things.
Tbteam
2/12/2012 5:44pm
I have an opinion on Mike having spent just four days as his roommate at an advanced/industry mx school in 83. He was the worlds biggest cock.

Doesn't make him guilty, but he sure was a dick. Just sayin.
OW38B
Fantasy
181st
2/12/2012 6:28pm
The word around the campfire was that if you wanted to kick Mickey Thompson's a$$.....you had to stand in line. If it is true Goodwin wanted to get even with Thompson he may not have been the only one.

A key ruling in the Goodwin trial.

Deputy Public Defender Elena Saris argued Monday that Thompson was killed because of his testimony against the man convicted of murdering his nephew. Scott Campbell was thrown out of an airplane over the Pacific Ocean in 1982, and his body was never recovered. Larry Cowell was convicted of murdering him over a drug deal and is serving a life term in prison.

Thompson provided testimony that undercut Cowell's alibi at his first trial; Thompson was killed before he could testify at a retrial, ordered after an appeals court ruled that Cowell's confession had been coerced.

http://articles.latimes.com/2006/oct/17/local/me-thompson17
2/12/2012 11:13pm
Mickey was involved in 28 other business partnerships, some much larger than Goodwin's Supercross. Danny Thompson was killed in a drug deal gone bad; thrown out of an airplane between San Pedro and Catalina. Mickey was wearing a bullet-proof jacket much of the time because he was getting death threats, but not from Goodwin. I saw Mickey at a studio in San Diego just days before the murders. He told me that a settlement with Goodwin was in the works and, since Mickey called me many times when things went badly between him and Goodwin (I had known Goodwin for about 15 years then) I am certain he would have told me about such death threats from Goodwin. Why didn't Mickey just call the police? Would any reasonable person, and Mickey was a rational, reasonable person, have called the police if he knew who was threatening him. Those "death threats" were not from Goodwin and there was little, if any, talk about the death threats coming from Goodwin right after the murders. That whole scenario was manufactured. That stun gun was Mickey's, for protection.

There's a lot more on this but there's no sense in going into it here. Suffice to say that you're right, there were many who wanted to either take Mickey out or have him taken out. Again, why on earth would any thinking person send TWO shooters to take Mickey out unless they wanted to be sure that Trudy was also murdered. You do the math on that.
2/12/2012 11:15pm
Not even going to get into the drug connection but to say it was strong, as Elena Saris pointed out to the court but they blew that off.
Sparkalounger
2/13/2012 7:59am
Sherwood wrote:
Birds of a feather...
if you have something to say why don't you just fucking say it....
yeah, i get it, your so cool you don't have to...
2/13/2012 8:35am
You'll get no argument from me on that!! That, sir, is why he was convicted. If he'd been "normal," they never could have convicted him on no real evidence.
2/13/2012 8:44am
I think enough has been said here. This isn't a court room. There's no judge or jury. Face it, Goodwin, innocent or guuilty, has been convicted in the media a long time ago. Just look at that "Hard Copy" piece. There's more than 100 items in that piece that are grossly misrepresented or just plain false. There were similar pieces on "Unsolved Mysteries," "America's Most Wanted," CBS' "Murder in the Fast Lane," that still runs about once every few months and many, many other TV programs, feature articles and news stories that got their facts from "The Authorities" who get paid to convict, not acquit. The secondary D.A. who prosecutied Goodwin is now running for office of the District Attorney of L.A. , largely base on Goodwin's conviction. Go figure.
GuyB
Fantasy
988th
2/13/2012 9:24am
Mickey was involved in 28 other business partnerships, some much larger than Goodwin's Supercross. Danny Thompson was killed in a drug deal gone bad; thrown out...
Mickey was involved in 28 other business partnerships, some much larger than Goodwin's Supercross. Danny Thompson was killed in a drug deal gone bad; thrown out of an airplane between San Pedro and Catalina. Mickey was wearing a bullet-proof jacket much of the time because he was getting death threats, but not from Goodwin. I saw Mickey at a studio in San Diego just days before the murders. He told me that a settlement with Goodwin was in the works and, since Mickey called me many times when things went badly between him and Goodwin (I had known Goodwin for about 15 years then) I am certain he would have told me about such death threats from Goodwin. Why didn't Mickey just call the police? Would any reasonable person, and Mickey was a rational, reasonable person, have called the police if he knew who was threatening him. Those "death threats" were not from Goodwin and there was little, if any, talk about the death threats coming from Goodwin right after the murders. That whole scenario was manufactured. That stun gun was Mickey's, for protection.

There's a lot more on this but there's no sense in going into it here. Suffice to say that you're right, there were many who wanted to either take Mickey out or have him taken out. Again, why on earth would any thinking person send TWO shooters to take Mickey out unless they wanted to be sure that Trudy was also murdered. You do the math on that.
Danny Thompson killed? I must have missed that. Have you got a link to it?
2/13/2012 9:48am Edited Date/Time 2/13/2012 9:53am
Mickey was involved in 28 other business partnerships, some much larger than Goodwin's Supercross. Danny Thompson was killed in a drug deal gone bad; thrown out...

GuyB wrote:
Danny Thompson killed? I must have missed that. Have you got a link to it?
Whoops! So sorry!! Moving pretty quickly here. It was Scott Campbell, Mickey's nephew.. Danny is still with us. My apologies for the big flub. http://articles.latimes.com/keyword/lawrence-r-cowell
GuyB
Fantasy
988th
2/13/2012 9:51am
Ah yeah...well, you know how the media is. Wink
2/13/2012 10:02am
Walter wrote:
My experience has been that this is true in many cases, but certainly not all... Many who are very guilty pursue every legal avenue to get...
My experience has been that this is true in many cases, but certainly not all...

Many who are very guilty pursue every legal avenue to get out, to reduce time, or to gain a new trial which they believe will result in a better plea agreement or other end result.

I have had folks who entered guilty pleas continue a vigorous fight from prison.
FastEddy wrote:
Walter,let me ask you this.... How critical is jury selection in a circumstantial evidence case for the prosecution,in larger cases like this involving double homicides? Do...
Walter,let me ask you this....

How critical is jury selection in a circumstantial evidence case for the prosecution,in larger cases like this involving double homicides? Do you think that jury selection plays more of a larger role then the actual circumstantial evidence in the case does,in terms of getting a conviction?
Prosecutors hinted at a plea deal when considering whether or not to go for the death penalty. Goodwin, with no real evidence to tie him to the murders and having been essentially cleared in November of 1988 with another suspect having confessed to two people, flunked 3 polygraph tests specifically on the Thompson murders, knew facts about the case that had never been made public, knew Thompson, among other incriminating things----Det. Griggs had developed this strong suspect and dropped Goodwin----Goodwin said he'd never plead guilty to something he didn't do. This suspect is one of the two scenarios that Saris attempted to introduce but the court would not allow it. The jury foreman, following the conviction, having seen this evidence in one of the many stories about the case, said the verdict would have been far different had the jury been presented with either scenariou/suspects.

Post a reply to: Friends of Michael Goodwin - Blog

The Latest