Related:
Create New Tag

3/22/2018 5:16 AM

Drake hurt?
Kobush and Marchbanks got spanked?

Photo

|

3/22/2018 6:19 AM

I watched most of the "A" classes Wednesday. Here is what happened....

Drake did most of the spanking until he got hurt late in the day. He crashed right in front of me near the mechanic's area. Just a short straight, but it was rough and he swapped pretty bad and went over the bars. He laid on the track for a couple of minutes in the fetal position and then got up with the assistance of EMT's and took a ride on their mule back to the pits. Not sure the extent of his injury.

Marchbanks was in the hunt most of the day.

Kobush got spanked.

|

3/22/2018 6:21 AM

Hope he is ok, sounds like he’s not hurt to bad

|

3/22/2018 8:33 AM

Are there enough entires at that race to justify it being a 7 day ordeal?

|

3/22/2018 8:45 AM

Jeff_Crutcher wrote:

Are there enough entires at that race to justify it being a 7 day ordeal?

There is around 1300 entries. I think there are been around 1500 entries in previous years. About 80% of the racing is done in 3 days, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday. Tuesday is practice.

|

3/22/2018 12:30 PM

250A on now.. Marchbanks way out front...

http://freestonemx.com/latest-news/day-2-jssc/

|

3/22/2018 4:11 PM

Brown 63 with a couple wins. should be 3 for 3 but killed it while leading with a lap left and couldn't get started.

hoping he can wrap up a few championships this week

|

3/22/2018 5:01 PM

WOW I DIND NO THEY HAVE THE RACE AT FREESTONE TODAY I THINKED THAT IS WAS ON THE WEEKEND IT DOSENT EVEN FAR FORM ME IN ATHENS ITS IN WORTHAM AND ONE OF THE BEST TARCKS FORM TEXAS

|

suszuki rm85

3/22/2018 5:52 PM

Anybody know if bubba bothered to show up at the race named after him?

|

DBB

3/22/2018 6:49 PM

Is it worth driving up there Saturday? I don't know how much racing is left by that point. I know the pro classes are done.

|

3/23/2018 12:43 PM

Would the sport be better if there were only 1-3 such races and they were held in the summer when kids were out of school?

I wonder if there is any link between the number of entries and overall health of amateur racing.

If there are ~1300 entries, how many racers does that account for? I imagine many will run more than one class.

It would be very interesting to track the number of entries from year to year on a line graph to see any trends. I'd also like to see a pie chart of mini vs. vet entries, year to year. If the vet piece of the pie gets bigger and the mini piece shrinks, that could be a big change for the future.

|

"Thank God my father wasn't rich."
-Hurricane

"You wouldn't take clay to Southwick, so why take sand to Red Bud?"
-DV

"I ride a two-stroke because I am Weigandt-level cheap"
-Me

3/23/2018 1:16 PM

Braaaphole wrote:

Is it worth driving up there Saturday? I don't know how much racing is left by that point. I know the pro classes are done.

There will be a few good races left by Saturday, but most of them will be done by Friday. Might be worth the two hour drive up 45 from Spring.

|

3/23/2018 1:23 PM

Bry145 wrote:

Would the sport be better if there were only 1-3 such races and they were held in the summer when kids were out of school?

I wonder if there is any link between the number of entries and overall health of amateur racing.

If there are ~1300 entries, how many racers does that account for? I imagine many will run more than one class.

It would be very interesting to track the number of entries from year to year on a line graph to see any trends. I'd also like to see a pie chart of mini vs. vet entries, year to year. If the vet piece of the pie gets bigger and the mini piece shrinks, that could be a big change for the future.

This race has about a 8-9 year history. I was with one of the major sponsors when it was still at Lake Whitney. Back in 2004 it peaked at 3,400 entries at Whitney.

When Lake Whitney closed, Freestone started running this race. It started around 400-500 entries and built up to over 1500 entries. This year was down just a little but not much. I think they ended up with a few over 1400 entries.

The Vet classes are very limited and small. The minibike classes are the biggest, followed by the "B" classes and the "A" classes. Lots of home schooled kids along with ones that are on Spring Break.

Being a race in Texas, you would think that most of the riders are from Texas. But in most classes, you will only see a handful of riders from Texas. They come from all over the U.S. and other parts of the Globe.

|

3/23/2018 1:24 PM

bigcat wrote:

Anybody know if bubba bothered to show up at the race named after him?

I don't think James have ever attended this race. However, the winner of each class gets an invite to go to Stewart's compound in Florida. He does show up for that.

|

3/23/2018 9:00 PM

Zoom wrote:

This race has about a 8-9 year history. I was with one of the major sponsors when it was still at Lake Whitney. Back in 2004 it peaked at 3,400 entries at Whitney.

When Lake Whitney closed, Freestone started running this race. It started around 400-500 entries and built up to over 1500 entries. This year was down just a little but not much. I think they ended up with a few over 1400 entries.

The Vet classes are very limited and small. The minibike classes are the biggest, followed by the "B" classes and the "A" classes. Lots of home schooled kids along with ones that are on Spring Break.

Being a race in Texas, you would think that most of the riders are from Texas. But in most classes, you will only see a handful of riders from Texas. They come from all over the U.S. and other parts of the Globe.

1,400 entries sounds like a good turnout.

3,400 entries at the peak of amateur motocross in 2004 is a mind-blowing number.

I wonder if amateur moto as a whole has gone down ~50% regarding entries.

I would think TX would be amateur moto central with the weather, population, birth rates, and such.

Western PA had a huge District 5 amateur moto scene in 1998-2005 when I was racing here. I'd estimate it is down 75%. But this is an aging market and some tracks have closed. Also worth noting is race entry fees cost $15 in 1998 and were at $40 in 2005. That is quite a jump if one runs 2-3 classes at an event. The streets aren't paved with gold.

|

-Hurricane

-DV

-Me

3/24/2018 3:27 AM

Seems like kawasaki won a few races!

|

3/24/2018 7:24 AM

Bry145 wrote:

Zoom wrote:

Bry145 wrote:

3,400 entries at the peak of amateur motocross in 2004 is a mind-blowing number.

I would think TX would be amateur moto central with the weather, population, birth rates, and such.

Western PA had a huge District 5 amateur moto scene in 1998-2005 when I was racing here. I'd estimate it is down 75%. But this is an aging market and some tracks have closed. Also worth noting is race entry fees cost $15 in 1998 and were at $40 in 2005. That is quite a jump if one runs 2-3 classes at an event. The streets aren't paved with gold.

Texas is home to the professional practice rider. Not too many that actually gate up and race here because of the sheer distance between the major cities and the completely dysfunctional promotor relationships that cause them all to schedule against each other and thus create day long gate drops with 10 riders or less on each gate.

When was the last time you saw a native Texan make it to the top of the Pro ranks?

|

You kids get off my lawn!

2013 KTM450 Factory Edition
Projects......lots of projects!

3/24/2018 9:33 AM

DavetheVintageGuy wrote:

Texas is home to the professional practice rider. Not too many that actually gate up and race here because of the sheer distance between the major cities and the completely dysfunctional promotor relationships that cause them all to schedule against each other and thus create day long gate drops with 10 riders or less on each gate.

When was the last time you saw a native Texan make it to the top of the Pro ranks?

I think the answer to making local racing popular again is either copying the format used at REM races at Glen Helen or offering specialized events.

Specialized events such as 125 Dream, 2-Stroke Shootout, World Vet seem to be doing well. Maybe we can have races for minis only and another weekend have one for big bikes and vets only.

This would allow longer motos and perhaps allow the program to be run from 7AM-1PM.

Jamming 30+ classes onto the same track and the same day lessens value for everyone, but gives good bang for the buck to the promoter. Also, paying $100 to run two classes and get maybe 40 minutes of track time including practice during a 10-12 hour day is neither a good value nor enjoyable.

Sleeping in, paying $25, and riding to one's heart's content is a very good value. It passes the cost benefit analysis. Racing around with buddies and the locals is just as enjoyable as racing, and at a fraction of the cost.

|

-Hurricane

-DV

-Me

3/24/2018 1:38 PM

Zoom wrote:

Bry145 wrote:

DavetheVintageGuy wrote:

As a Texas promoter I can tell you that scheduling has gotten a lot better the last few years.

As far as Texas pro riders...Kent Howerton was the last one to win a national back in 81. Guess it has been a few years. Blake Wharton won a regional SX a few years ago. There have been several national wins from neighboring Texas states. Cooper, Reynard and Bogel from Oklahoma, Windham from Louisiana and Tedesco from New Mexico all have national wins over the last couple of decades and spent a lot of time on Texas tracks.

|

3/24/2018 1:41 PM

Did Kawasaki and KTM win everything?

|

3/24/2018 2:05 PM

Zoom wrote:

As a Texas promoter I can tell you that scheduling has gotten a lot better the last few years.

As far as Texas pro riders...Kent Howerton was the last one to win a national back in 81. Guess it has been a few years. Blake Wharton won a regional SX a few years ago. There have been several national wins from neighboring Texas states. Cooper, Reynard and Bogel from Oklahoma, Windham from Louisiana and Tedesco from New Mexico all have national wins over the last couple of decades and spent a lot of time on Texas tracks.

Larry,

Not if you live over here in Northern Mexico (San Antonio)tongue

We have a choice of driving 4 hours to Houston or 5 hours to Dallas if we want to race in any series. Takes an entire weekend and you have to sit thru endless motos just to ride 4 laps. Who has time for that on a consistent basis these days? Between the time suck, the fuel costs, hotel costs, the risk of someone stealing your bike, and entry fees/admission fees/sanctioning body fees/series fees it's no wonder there aren't more people racing today. It's a no win for everyone involved.

|

You kids get off my lawn!

2013 KTM450 Factory Edition
Projects......lots of projects!

3/24/2018 2:18 PM

DavetheVintageGuy wrote:

Larry,

Not if you live over here in Northern Mexico (San Antonio)tongue

We have a choice of driving 4 hours to Houston or 5 hours to Dallas if we want to race in any series. Takes an entire weekend and you have to sit thru endless motos just to ride 4 laps. Who has time for that on a consistent basis these days? Between the time suck, the fuel costs, hotel costs, the risk of someone stealing your bike, and entry fees/admission fees/sanctioning body fees/series fees it's no wonder there aren't more people racing today. It's a no win for everyone involved.

Less people show up.
Fees increase due to lower turnouts.
The people that do come demand niche classes so they can win something.
Running 30+ classes and two motos each reduces track time and stretches out the day.

Several solutions are possible, but it seems no one wants to change anything. If people still go to races and promoters are still making profits, nothing will change.

Some ideas are:
Reducing classes to 15
Having a one moto (20 minutes) format
Put the largest classes first in the program
Eliminating trophies to reduce entry fees

Or we can have more niche events like 125 Dream, World Vet, ect.

|

-Hurricane

-DV

-Me

3/24/2018 3:00 PM

Also, (just a theory here) I do not think a majority of local racers want to run 20 minute motos.

Those who have great bikes, sprint speed, and holeshot skills benefit by having four-lap motos.

If a fit guy on a 1999 YZ250 shows up and runs down a guy on a 15K 450 at the 19 minute mark, I imagine the 450 guy would raise Hell and not return to the races unless 4 lap motos are reinstated. It's easier to complain than to get in shape and stay there.

I like Loretta's because of the long motos. Endurance and fitness are nearly as important as skill and having a good bike. At many local races, endurance isn't a factor. Many can come off the couch and do 4 hard laps.

At one night race, the program was running long and second motos were reduced to 3 laps. 3 Laps! Will BMX style 1 lap motos be next?

|

-Hurricane

-DV

-Me

3/26/2018 10:07 AM

DavetheVintageGuy wrote:

Utah has it even worse as far as local racing scene goes... yet two of the top amateurs this year come from Utah.

|

3/26/2018 10:29 AM

peelout wrote:

Utah has it even worse as far as local racing scene goes... yet two of the top amateurs this year come from Utah.

Peely, is the RMX series still going on down there? Used to be a pretty strong following to that but I haven't been that direction to race in about 5 years. Preston, OCA, Rupert, ect used to be fun places to race with decent time on the track. I remember Saturday practice was abundant time and Sundaay races usually went pretty smooth. Is that not going on there anymore?

|

Even a broken clock is right twice a day.