Free agent: Amazing 250 rider looking for a ride

MXMattii
Edited Date/Time 9/5/2021 2:36pm
Rick Elzinga has shown his talent a numerous times, but his career is in the balance. If the young Dutchman can't secure a paying gig for 2022 he will take some drastic decisions. I dunno if he's open for a American adventure, but this kid a real opportunity.

https://gatedrop.com/rick-elzinga-discusses-his-future-could-be-his-fin…
|
Phillip_Lamb
Fantasy
2447th
8/7/2021 4:27pm
unless he can ride SX it would difficult to get something over here.

my .02 would be to play coming over like an amatuer kid. race the 2022 outdoors then prep for 23 sx
8/7/2021 4:33pm
MXMattii wrote:
Rick Elzinga has shown his talent a numerous times, but his career is in the balance. If the young Dutchman can't secure a paying gig for...
Rick Elzinga has shown his talent a numerous times, but his career is in the balance. If the young Dutchman can't secure a paying gig for 2022 he will take some drastic decisions. I dunno if he's open for a American adventure, but this kid a real opportunity.

Is he quicker than Jimmy Clochet at Beta? Because that guy is a blue flag bandit.
MXMattii
8/7/2021 7:14pm Edited Date/Time 8/7/2021 7:21pm
MXMattii wrote:
Rick Elzinga has shown his talent a numerous times, but his career is in the balance. If the young Dutchman can't secure a paying gig for...

Is he quicker than Jimmy Clochet at Beta? Because that guy is a blue flag bandit.
I would pick Cyril Genot for that place, he can do good on sand tracks and decent at hard pack. Jumping from EMX250 to MXGP is a damn leap.

Ps: About Elzinga, if he's in capable hands, he has the skillset to master supercross. Thinking about DV12, Byrne, ...
roninho
8/7/2021 10:21pm
I would expect Elzinga to end up at F&H.

The Shop

tek14
8/7/2021 11:00pm
He will have ride next year.
Boomslang
Fantasy
548th
8/7/2021 11:19pm
MXMattii wrote:

MxMatti, send me this guys resume and your email address via pm here. I can receive pms but cannot reply with these pms so I'd need your mail address. I know someone who may help out. He has a passion for MX and brought us over and has also put in money to help many other kids out.
ZOBITO
8/8/2021 12:02am
I thought you were gonna talk about Dilan Schwartz...
agn5008
Fantasy
317th
8/10/2021 5:30am
No offense to him, but how are those results indicative of an “amazing” rider?

How is 18th at the Dutch masters in 2019 amazing? Or a 10th in EMX250? Or 24th in EMX250? Sure he’s running in third right now but from what part of any of those results is “amazing?”

I hope the kid gets a shot. It’s cool to see people here willing to help him out. I hope you can hook him up with one of those opportunities and good things happen for him.
Spudnut
8/10/2021 6:58am
Got some solid 2th and 3th places in there!
roninho
8/10/2021 1:50pm
Elzinga had soms serious injuries in the past, that's why he was out of a ride at the start of last year.
MXMattii
8/10/2021 2:05pm
roninho wrote:
Elzinga had soms serious injuries in the past, that's why he was out of a ride at the start of last year.
Indeed and in the races he rode he was beating guys like Benistant, Guyon, Weckman,... He raced against very talented riders and beat a lot of them.
Cortami79
8/10/2021 3:29pm
roninho wrote:
Actually he had some nasty injuries since he made the step from 85cc to 125s and 250s. He always had speed, just couldnt put it into two decent moto’s. This year his work starts to pay off. Hopefully he gets a ride next yearCool
MXMattii
8/14/2021 1:33pm
I'm thinking probably way too big, but does Factory KTM hasn't any bike to rent with Kaleb Russell retiring. I will ask around to some Europeans who done such a adventure and who helped them with sorting out a competitive bike.
8/14/2021 1:52pm
KTM will have bikes. A few years back i was supposed to Race Budds Creek & I reached out to KTM. They said they had media bikes in Cali that they would lend me for the race. unfortunately it never worked out for me but if you contact KTM directly or big Rodger De i would be very surprised if they dont offer him something. Really hope this works out
Brent
8/14/2021 1:54pm Edited Date/Time 8/14/2021 2:01pm
MXMattii wrote:
I'm thinking probably way too big, but does Factory KTM hasn't any bike to rent with Kaleb Russell retiring. I will ask around to some Europeans...
I'm thinking probably way too big, but does Factory KTM hasn't any bike to rent with Kaleb Russell retiring. I will ask around to some Europeans who done such a adventure and who helped them with sorting out a competitive bike.
Still waiting on FIM and AMA approval - Rick's home dutch federation has written to the AMA, I guess with COVID it is hard to get athletes in to the USA - so if that doesn't happen in time then nothing else really matters in regards to the bike.

Last resort, we just buy a KTM, put our parts on it, and I sell it after the races.

this kid is the real deal, he has national pro speed, I can see him in the top 10 no prob.

I just hope he's up for 30+2 x 2 at Pala, It ain't exactly cool breezy European weather around here in September....
MXMattii
8/14/2021 3:11pm Edited Date/Time 8/14/2021 3:14pm
Brent wrote:
Still waiting on FIM and AMA approval - Rick's home dutch federation has written to the AMA, I guess with COVID it is hard to get...
Still waiting on FIM and AMA approval - Rick's home dutch federation has written to the AMA, I guess with COVID it is hard to get athletes in to the USA - so if that doesn't happen in time then nothing else really matters in regards to the bike.

Last resort, we just buy a KTM, put our parts on it, and I sell it after the races.

this kid is the real deal, he has national pro speed, I can see him in the top 10 no prob.

I just hope he's up for 30+2 x 2 at Pala, It ain't exactly cool breezy European weather around here in September....
Indeed, that is something he can start doing now already. Drink 4 to 6 liters of water on a daily base to get pré-hydrated. And try to be creative, building a sweat-shed (garage) where he can do 2x1 hour cycling routines in temps around 35 to 40 degrees Celsius (that is about 95°f to 105°f).

I know old school marathon runners who build sweat-sheds with a running mill and just some electric heaters. They heat the room without making the air moist. When they needed to run in Asia in heat and high humidity they where moving there running mill in the Sauna. #OLDSKOOL & #Cheap

Brent guys like you are class acts, you know!
Brent
8/14/2021 3:42pm Edited Date/Time 8/15/2021 7:19am
MXMattii wrote:
Indeed, that is something he can start doing now already. Drink 4 to 6 liters of water on a daily base to get pré-hydrated. And try...
Indeed, that is something he can start doing now already. Drink 4 to 6 liters of water on a daily base to get pré-hydrated. And try to be creative, building a sweat-shed (garage) where he can do 2x1 hour cycling routines in temps around 35 to 40 degrees Celsius (that is about 95°f to 105°f).

I know old school marathon runners who build sweat-sheds with a running mill and just some electric heaters. They heat the room without making the air moist. When they needed to run in Asia in heat and high humidity they where moving there running mill in the Sauna. #OLDSKOOL & #Cheap

Brent guys like you are class acts, you know!
Oh Yeah, I've warned him about lack of hydration already.

I've raced in this shitty oppressive summer soCal heat all my life, and nothing will get you used to it, hydration is the only thing that will keep you from passing out or worse.

I remember back a million years ago when I was a kid- the GP guys used to come over for the Carlsbad USGP, only Wolsink and Mikkola were prepared for it, the rest of them puked and passed out, and that track was next to the Pacific with an ocean breeze.

Pala is the blast furnace from hell in September, only Lake Elsinore is hotter around here. Hopefully we will have a few days for training motos so he can get used to it .

I probably need to tell him to talk to the guys who raced the Glen Helen GP a few years ago, I'm sure they can make it real for him...
8/15/2021 5:34am
Holy fuck don't think I've ever pulled harder for a rando than I will for this kid.

Is there anything we can do/send to help him at this point? I know of a guy with a couple of 2021 250 sx-fs fully kitted he might be able to rent, I'll reach out to him this morning.
MXMattii
8/15/2021 3:08pm
Today (in about 30°c) Rick raced a great first heat where he matched almost the pace of Geerts and Vialle. He also seemed to walk away with third, before riders such as Jed Beaton, Rene Hofer, Liam Everts,... But 10 minutes in the 21m + 1 lap moto his lap times went up and he didn't found his rhythm anymore. Dunno if it was armpump, bike problems, maybe little crash that brought him off pace, ...

In the second heat he didn't tried to match anyones pace but he raced his own race on this brutal track and he finished fifth. Before Rene Hofer,

For who isn't known with the Keiheuvel, it's probably as brutal if not more brutal as Lommel.

Brent
8/15/2021 5:35pm
MXMattii wrote:
Today (in about 30°c) Rick raced a great first heat where he matched almost the pace of Geerts and Vialle. He also seemed to walk away...
Today (in about 30°c) Rick raced a great first heat where he matched almost the pace of Geerts and Vialle. He also seemed to walk away with third, before riders such as Jed Beaton, Rene Hofer, Liam Everts,... But 10 minutes in the 21m + 1 lap moto his lap times went up and he didn't found his rhythm anymore. Dunno if it was armpump, bike problems, maybe little crash that brought him off pace, ...

In the second heat he didn't tried to match anyones pace but he raced his own race on this brutal track and he finished fifth. Before Rene Hofer,

For who isn't known with the Keiheuvel, it's probably as brutal if not more brutal as Lommel.

I watched the Kegums race last week, and he impressed me by moving forward so quickly after bad starts.

I'm very sure that if he can handle the heat and the nerves, he could be in top 10 -15 in the AMA nationals on his first try.

He told me he's never ridden a 450, for a kid of his size he may do better on the larger motorcycle eventually.

I am hoping we will hear from the AMA tomorrow (Monday) if they can help him get over and race, time is getting shorter and flights are not getting cheaper...
NicNak
Fantasy
3941st
8/15/2021 7:01pm
MXMattii wrote:
Today (in about 30°c) Rick raced a great first heat where he matched almost the pace of Geerts and Vialle. He also seemed to walk away...

Is there anywhere to watch this race?
MXMattii
8/16/2021 7:56am Edited Date/Time 8/16/2021 8:35am
MXMattii wrote:

NicNak wrote:
Is there anywhere to watch this race?
There wasn't a live stream, but if there pop-ups high light movies I will post them. It's an incredible race, being almost 100 years old.

Highlights 250cc with Rick in the Leat clothing.
MXMattii
8/17/2021 3:09pm Edited Date/Time 8/17/2021 3:14pm
Are there any updates? I've tried to contact him on Instagram, but no luck (Probably because my message ended up in spam or something because he doesn't follow me.)

EMX125 Switzerland Highlights from 2018 (He finished third that year and look between what names! If he didn't had such injuries.)

NicNak
Fantasy
3941st
8/17/2021 3:38pm Edited Date/Time 8/17/2021 3:38pm
MXMattii wrote:
Are there any updates? I've tried to contact him on Instagram, but no luck (Probably because my message ended up in spam or something because he...
Are there any updates? I've tried to contact him on Instagram, but no luck (Probably because my message ended up in spam or something because he doesn't follow me.)

EMX125 Switzerland Highlights from 2018 (He finished third that year and look between what names! If he didn't had such injuries.)

Thanks for sharing. Yeah kid shreds. I follow Europe pretty closely. Be cool to see him at pala, if that works out
Brent
8/17/2021 4:31pm Edited Date/Time 8/17/2021 5:37pm
UPDATE - Rick has gotten through all the red tape to get to the USA, and it looks like there is a high chance he will be racing at Fox Raceway on September 4

It's also looking like I have to buy a bike for him to race, because there are none that I can find to rent. He will be bringing all his own stuff to put on the motorcycle.

Jeremy, I know you read this, I am coming in soon on my knees begging for a deal.

Im just concerned that even with all the bolt on stuff and ECU and race fuel, we will still be down a lot of HP with a stock motor as compared to the other bikes, and on a deep ripped semi- sand track with a big tall rider, that could be a problem.

Hopefully Ricks Dutch team will allow him to bring a race motor, stay tuned...

Anybody who wants a low hour 2022 KTM 250F in the next couple of weeks, hit me up please?Sad
66TR66
8/17/2021 5:15pm
Awesome, great stuff Brent.

Super pumped to follow this Dutchie race in the US from Down Under.

Good luck guys.
MXMattii
8/18/2021 9:37am Edited Date/Time 8/18/2021 9:43am
Brent wrote:
UPDATE - Rick has gotten through all the red tape to get to the USA, and it looks like there is a high chance he will...
UPDATE - Rick has gotten through all the red tape to get to the USA, and it looks like there is a high chance he will be racing at Fox Raceway on September 4

It's also looking like I have to buy a bike for him to race, because there are none that I can find to rent. He will be bringing all his own stuff to put on the motorcycle.

Jeremy, I know you read this, I am coming in soon on my knees begging for a deal.

Im just concerned that even with all the bolt on stuff and ECU and race fuel, we will still be down a lot of HP with a stock motor as compared to the other bikes, and on a deep ripped semi- sand track with a big tall rider, that could be a problem.

Hopefully Ricks Dutch team will allow him to bring a race motor, stay tuned...

Anybody who wants a low hour 2022 KTM 250F in the next couple of weeks, hit me up please?Sad
European built engines (and suspensions) don't always work in US Races, and the other way around its quite the same. That will be the hardest part, will he race very stiff US Style suspension or his own? Because his own ones will feel more comfortable for him but it can be that those won't suit the US Style track. Finding a competitive engine will probably be the hardest task... His teamowner who runs a cliënt KTM team, can contact KTM asking an US engine.

Post a reply to: Free agent: Amazing 250 rider looking for a ride

The Latest