Frankston crash on Saturday

Does anyone know what happened? I'm not a facebook user but even still, there is no detail on there other than that the track is shut again as a poor young man lost his life.

Deepest condolences to his parents, family and friends if they happen to read this. I've been through some very rough stuff in my life but could not even imagine this.
|
144rider
12/18/2017 11:29pm Edited Date/Time 12/18/2017 11:31pm
Yep. No good, but unfortunately, It was always going to happen. And, there are no "real" details at this point. None I'm willing to repeat at least.

A mate left just before it happened. He's sent me a text telling me how he cleared the new quad.

R.I.P.
TomC31
12/19/2017 1:34am
I wasn't there, but a friend called me right after, to tell me the details before it was on the internet and all of a sudden the story gets changed multiple times and it happened on the biggest jump on the track and all that.
It happened right after the small table top, entering the chicane where you either continue around to the main table top, or exit the track to the right. It was a tiny jump, im not going to go anymore into it as i was not there, but i do know the young kid was very nice, him and his father where both very respectful, and it is an absolute shame that it has happened. Very cruel. I hope for the sake of the sport the track stays open, only time will tell.
144rider
12/19/2017 1:40am Edited Date/Time 12/19/2017 1:50am
TomC31 wrote:
I wasn't there, but a friend called me right after, to tell me the details before it was on the internet and all of a sudden...
I wasn't there, but a friend called me right after, to tell me the details before it was on the internet and all of a sudden the story gets changed multiple times and it happened on the biggest jump on the track and all that.
It happened right after the small table top, entering the chicane where you either continue around to the main table top, or exit the track to the right. It was a tiny jump, im not going to go anymore into it as i was not there, but i do know the young kid was very nice, him and his father where both very respectful, and it is an absolute shame that it has happened. Very cruel. I hope for the sake of the sport the track stays open, only time will tell.
Why should it stay open? I know a lot of A-graders that refuse to ride there because it's too dangerous. It used to be the best place to practice, before the new management took over. Now it's a death trap. Run by a total; fuck wit. The proof is in the pudding!

You need to remember. It's supposed to be a "RIDE PARK". Not a fuckin practice facility for pros.

The Shop

TomC31
12/19/2017 2:02am
144rider wrote:
Why should it stay open? I know a lot of A-graders that refuse to ride there because it's too dangerous. It used to be the best...
Why should it stay open? I know a lot of A-graders that refuse to ride there because it's too dangerous. It used to be the best place to practice, before the new management took over. Now it's a death trap. Run by a total; fuck wit. The proof is in the pudding!

You need to remember. It's supposed to be a "RIDE PARK". Not a fuckin practice facility for pros.
I understand what your saying, i don't think its any secret the management aren't the most intelligent people, alot of people think that! but its a big hit for the south east to not have that facility, for the stores, for the riders, and mainly for the kids that then have to drive to ride park unless they can ride at Hastings.
The absolute exact same thing happened at ride park 3 weeks ago, a helicopter came but the kid survived, that was no fault at all of the track. And no one talked down on that track due to that.
If the sole reason to close this track is because of this and the obstacle was to difficult that it happened on, or unsafe, that particular jump is so small, not steep at all, and a roller to slow you down before it.
144rider
12/19/2017 2:09am Edited Date/Time 12/19/2017 2:12am
I don't think it should be closed down, just put under new management again.
It killed me that they changed it. I've been riding there for 35+ years. Don't bother going near the joint these days.

I asked an A-grader mate the other night if he rides there. He said he doesn't mind it, but he has kids to think about. That pretty much sums it up.

I lived in Hastings for most of my life. Only had the train tracks, "Dyals", and "Jacks" back then. Knew they'd get a track as soon as I moved LOL.
TomC31
12/19/2017 2:32am
144rider wrote:
I don't think it should be closed down, just put under new management again. It killed me that they changed it. I've been riding there for...
It killed me that they changed it. I've been riding there for 35+ years. Don't bother going near the joint these days.

I asked an A-grader mate the other night if he rides there. He said he doesn't mind it, but he has kids to think about. That pretty much sums it up.

I lived in Hastings for most of my life. Only had the train tracks, "Dyals", and "Jacks" back then. Knew they'd get a track as soon as I moved LOL.
I agree with that, i think there are some things that could be improved and made exciting yet safe for the little kids, and general going over on everything, if ran like an intelligent business, its clear there is money in it, so the right person could make a living out of it, and enjoy doing it.

I was there 2 Wednesday's ago, now in saying this, both myself and my friend i was practising with are A grade, but the track surface was good, it had all been watered evenly, the jump faces all perfect with no kicks or edges, the corners formed nicely, arguably the dirt at frankston is almost one of the best as far as the brown loam when its good. The old days where ok, but the big walls to make s sections, with holes everywhere wasn't the best.
I just think its such a shame this happened, also, we need our "controlling body" to dip into their pockets, and spend some money promoting the riders and the sport, to mainstream media, to grow its following, if they won't do anything they can atleast do that.

And that is always the way ! I remember the train tracks from many years ago ! I was only young though. Hastings track is actually pretty good now !
144rider
12/19/2017 2:37am Edited Date/Time 12/19/2017 2:41am
144rider wrote:
I don't think it should be closed down, just put under new management again. It killed me that they changed it. I've been riding there for...

TomC31 wrote:
I agree with that, i think there are some things that could be improved and made exciting yet safe for the little kids, and general going...
I agree with that, i think there are some things that could be improved and made exciting yet safe for the little kids, and general going over on everything, if ran like an intelligent business, its clear there is money in it, so the right person could make a living out of it, and enjoy doing it.

I was there 2 Wednesday's ago, now in saying this, both myself and my friend i was practising with are A grade, but the track surface was good, it had all been watered evenly, the jump faces all perfect with no kicks or edges, the corners formed nicely, arguably the dirt at frankston is almost one of the best as far as the brown loam when its good. The old days where ok, but the big walls to make s sections, with holes everywhere wasn't the best.
I just think its such a shame this happened, also, we need our "controlling body" to dip into their pockets, and spend some money promoting the riders and the sport, to mainstream media, to grow its following, if they won't do anything they can atleast do that.

And that is always the way ! I remember the train tracks from many years ago ! I was only young though. Hastings track is actually pretty good now !
I agree with most of that. The one thing I don't agree with is how the track was back in the day. IMO, if you could do 20 laps of Franston back then, you could do 30 laps anywhere. The tracks don't stay perfect for long on race weekends, better to practice on a rough track IMO. You needed good rhythm and flow to ride Frankston back then. We could be taklking different decades though.

Anyway, condolences to his family and friends. And may he R.I P.
TomC31
12/19/2017 3:15am
144rider wrote:
I agree with most of that. The one thing I don't agree with is how the track was back in the day. IMO, if you could...
I agree with most of that. The one thing I don't agree with is how the track was back in the day. IMO, if you could do 20 laps of Franston back then, you could do 30 laps anywhere. The tracks don't stay perfect for long on race weekends, better to practice on a rough track IMO. You needed good rhythm and flow to ride Frankston back then. We could be taklking different decades though.

Anyway, condolences to his family and friends. And may he R.I P.
Yes i do agree with that, it was very tough and good for training, and i do wish that they were able to add some more flowing sections and go cross ways on the land now, and add that technical side to it, instead of just straight back and forth. I guess we will all see what happens!
Maybe one day i will see you at a track! Come say hi you will see my bike with #31 !

Exactly, he was a very polite nice kid.
22Ryann
Fantasy
4098th
12/19/2017 4:16am
I rode there a few years back, it was the best track conditions I've ridden in. The place did not seem dangerous to me. It seemed a little fast for my liking, for other people and their safety I mean.

...and the day we rode a young man passed away as well, it was completely out of the blue and was tough to see as his wife and child were at the track.

it shut for some time after that, they certainly have had a rough run at that place.
TomC31
12/19/2017 4:23pm
22Ryann wrote:
I rode there a few years back, it was the best track conditions I've ridden in. The place did not seem dangerous to me. It seemed...
I rode there a few years back, it was the best track conditions I've ridden in. The place did not seem dangerous to me. It seemed a little fast for my liking, for other people and their safety I mean.

...and the day we rode a young man passed away as well, it was completely out of the blue and was tough to see as his wife and child were at the track.

it shut for some time after that, they certainly have had a rough run at that place.
Yes i agree, And since then they made the jump from that day alot safer, alot more forgiving for every rider, which is good,
They have had a rough go at it thats for sure.
12/19/2017 6:12pm
The place was originally opened to get the local kids off the street.
It then naturally became the best training track in the state.
Now it had morphed into a jump fest pro track with top riders jumping over your head.
They need to remove the bigger jumps.
1/7/2018 12:34am
Any further word on this?

The track is closed indefinitely.

At this point, IF it reopens, they need to turn it into a giant vet track (a la Ride Park vet track or Krusic's clay or senior track layout). Myself and others have tried to express this to the management in the past, and been completely blown off.

Post a reply to: Frankston crash on Saturday

The Latest