France's secret to victory...

Xavier
...Team spirit :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0J1MzatXufQ&frags=pl%2Cwn

Sorry if it's been posted elsewhere and also for those who won't understand French but this film is very, very worth watching for everyone wanting to understand what's going on inside Team France and why they win this thing 5 times in a row.
For those who just want the engine-change thrill, go straight at 4.00

Now there is a whole story behind this French know-how on this type of events (see also the Soccer World Cup).
In 1998, France's great accomplishments in Team Sports major events were few and apart.
That year though, France's soccer team defeated Brazil 3/0 in Paris for the final of the World Cup.

A mythical inside-the-group film was made : "Les Yeux Les Bleus" and the team coaching-methods and group-living became an inspiration that spread across the whole French sports movement.

The impact was huge on the country's morale and the government encouraged the federations to develop positive, patriotic approach to these kind of big international events, similar to what everybody had watched in the movie (hence the motivating/technical speech by coach Pascal Finot).

We've seen it since in handball, Tennis (Davis Cup), soccer again (etc) and also... MX.

I don't know how it was inside the other Teams way-of-doing-it but I doubt anyone of them was more positive and organized than Team France.

Tixier's engine's change in 20mn is a pretty intense display of this.

Paulin's statement in hitting the Leap on lap 2 of free practice is a HUGE statement.

Actually, in my eyes and after having followed the whole LaRocco's Leap being supposedly "pussy-fied" for the Euro's comfort debate on this forum, I wonder if that Paulin's accomplishment -especially when it took a day and a half to see an American jump it- is'nt of O'Mara's-pass-on-Thorpe-at-Maggiora's caliber !

France and obviously Holland, + Italy (Cairoli, what a stud !) paved the way for an American humiliation that one has a hard time to rationally explain.

I remember when we used to say that the American spirit and flag-inspired approach to the MXDN was one of the secrets behind its winning streak.

Now it's France's turn, with a more group-oriented approach.
That somehow explains why a Marvin may be considered by the Federation as more difficult to get to gel with that atmosphere.
|
Forty
10/9/2018 6:33pm
Cool, very cool.. Paulin steps up man...rides the shit outa the Nations.
Bineano
10/9/2018 7:50pm
Talent
Skill
Teamwork
Determination
A pinch o’ luck

Good on ya Team France!

As a Canadian, I’m a lil jealous... but didn’t we get you at PBON? Hehe.
ledger
10/9/2018 9:26pm
Xavier... great video, thanks. And Paulin is a true bad ass but also humble, I like those characteristics.
Crush
10/9/2018 10:08pm
USA might have done a lot better with some starts and that inside gate being left open isn't great.

I do think pitting together or having a team area and discussing strategy has to help, if nothing else, France is proving it works for them.

The Shop

jemcee
10/9/2018 10:21pm
I haven't watched the video yet but over the weekend the thing that stood out for me was Paulin's attitude! Man talk about team leader! Super positive and inspiring!
Reminded me of Latvia when he went 1-1 and the first thing he did in his interview straight after his race finished was stand up for his team mate Ferrandis.. Could've basked in what was his biggest and best result at that time but nope..
VRR7
10/9/2018 10:30pm
ledger wrote:
Xavier... great video, thanks. And Paulin is a true bad ass but also humble, I like those characteristics.
Unlike some other un-named rider the France put a beat down on ...
ledger
10/9/2018 10:42pm
jemcee wrote:
I haven't watched the video yet but over the weekend the thing that stood out for me was Paulin's attitude! Man talk about team leader! Super...
I haven't watched the video yet but over the weekend the thing that stood out for me was Paulin's attitude! Man talk about team leader! Super positive and inspiring!
Reminded me of Latvia when he went 1-1 and the first thing he did in his interview straight after his race finished was stand up for his team mate Ferrandis.. Could've basked in what was his biggest and best result at that time but nope..
That interview was awesome, I hope someone can put a link of the video on here, where Paulin looks straight in the camera and says... right here in America...or something to that effect. He said it with authority and owned it.
10/9/2018 11:00pm
ledger wrote:
And right before the des nations almost everybody here talked bad about Paulin. How France picked him over Musquin. And it was the baddest choice ever for France.

But Paulin is not only a racer who steps his game up for this race , he is a true teamcaptain for France.
Bearuno
10/9/2018 11:47pm
jemcee wrote:
I haven't watched the video yet but over the weekend the thing that stood out for me was Paulin's attitude! Man talk about team leader! Super...
ledger wrote:
That interview was awesome, I hope someone can put a link of the video on here, where Paulin looks straight in the camera and says... right...
That interview was awesome, I hope someone can put a link of the video on here, where Paulin looks straight in the camera and says... right here in America...or something to that effect. He said it with authority and owned it.
And, when he thanked the American fans for their cheering him on - but, perhaps not in that vid? I think he said / implied the reception he was getting from track side fans changed markedly after he hammered Larocco's Leap.

The man certainly steps it up for The Nations, and, seems to take on the role of a True Captain. So much for the fools that questioned his place on the team.
jemcee
10/9/2018 11:54pm
jemcee wrote:
ledger wrote:
That interview was awesome, I hope someone can put a link of the video on here, where Paulin looks straight in the camera and says... right...
Bearuno wrote:
And, when he thanked the American fans for their cheering him on - but, perhaps not in that vid? I think he said / implied the...
And, when he thanked the American fans for their cheering him on - but, perhaps not in that vid? I think he said / implied the reception he was getting from track side fans changed markedly after he hammered Larocco's Leap.

The man certainly steps it up for The Nations, and, seems to take on the role of a True Captain. So much for the fools that questioned his place on the team.
That's in this vid
DeStouwer
10/10/2018 12:03am
I don't know of a lot of countries that are so patriottic as France and the USA.

Gautier Paulin... I remember when I saw him riding a GP for the first time in person, Teutschenthal 2007, on a Honda Martin. You could see in an instant this kid was going to be a major player the next few years. In 2008 he was on a Kawasaki and a terrible sand rider. Getting lapped both motos in Valkenswaard, Lommel, Lierop... No surprise when you come from southern France. A few years later he wins sand-GP's. Talk about determination.

Awesome riding style, great personality... His joy exploded of off my screen in the flash interview right after the third moto. Calling out to Dylan and Jordi (whom he is not befriended with)

He's not the captain for Team France, he's the only captain. He always delivers.
keinz
10/10/2018 3:14am Edited Date/Time 10/10/2018 3:15am
It's amazing how GP21 always steps up at MXDN. It's almost same like mr. MXDN Tanel LeokSmile
Bramlett321
10/10/2018 4:58am
Crush wrote:
USA might have done a lot better with some starts and that inside gate being left open isn't great. I do think pitting together or having...
USA might have done a lot better with some starts and that inside gate being left open isn't great.

I do think pitting together or having a team area and discussing strategy has to help, if nothing else, France is proving it works for them.
I couldn't agree with you more on that inside gate point. Were our guys intimidated by the likes of the Euro riders and not wanting to gate beside Herlings or Coldenoff??? I'm still in shock I guess.
Xavier
10/10/2018 5:56am Edited Date/Time 10/10/2018 5:57am
DeStouwer wrote:
I don't know of a lot of countries that are so patriottic as France and the USA. Gautier Paulin... I remember when I saw him riding...
I don't know of a lot of countries that are so patriottic as France and the USA.

Gautier Paulin... I remember when I saw him riding a GP for the first time in person, Teutschenthal 2007, on a Honda Martin. You could see in an instant this kid was going to be a major player the next few years. In 2008 he was on a Kawasaki and a terrible sand rider. Getting lapped both motos in Valkenswaard, Lommel, Lierop... No surprise when you come from southern France. A few years later he wins sand-GP's. Talk about determination.

Awesome riding style, great personality... His joy exploded of off my screen in the flash interview right after the third moto. Calling out to Dylan and Jordi (whom he is not befriended with)

He's not the captain for Team France, he's the only captain. He always delivers.
Actually the one who delivered the most these past years for Team France was indeed Romain Febvre, not Gautier.

Gautier was hurt coming into Ernée 2015, he handled the pain, scored good enough (but not great) then went on for knee surgery the day after the event.

The following years (without injury) went on pretty much the same way.

Some have an interesting theory that Gautier will deliver more/better if he is "the" main guy on the team, which was the case at Red Bud (not Maggiora, neither Matterley).

Whatever the case, his attitude & performance at this last edition will remain as the single / most effective factor in France's 2018 win.

TeamGreen
10/10/2018 8:00am
Here's the secret list of French Moto-Success:
Hot Chicks
Fantastic Food
Jerry Lewis movies
An ABSOLUTE IDGAF Attitude
Amazing Style
10/10/2018 8:19am
Watched the video.. lots of chicken and pasta and speaking French, which unfortunately was not subtitled..
Definitely a great team spirit and i can believe they emulated the USA of the 80's. Well done!! Team France is a great team and deserve a place in the record books. The French names always pop up... Bayle, Pourcel, Musquin, Paulin, Febvre and Ferandis.. Tenacious little fuckers the lot of them.....
Well done!!

Post a reply to: France's secret to victory...

The Latest