Frame defect?

Related:
Create New Tag

3/3/2018 5:08 PM

Photo

Photo
What do you guy's think? Would you run it? In person it looked like something maybe dripped there and probably etched in. There were some spots on the other side as well but not as bad. I was planning to purchase the bike but was weary and pulled the plug on the deal.

|

3/3/2018 5:16 PM

That's a cosmetic issue, it would have no structural effect on the aluminum.

|

3/3/2018 5:20 PM

Definitely aluminum rust.

|

-'09 KX500AF

- '19 KX450F

3/3/2018 5:53 PM

your boots will rub that off in about 1 hour

|

3/3/2018 5:58 PM

speed_racer wrote:

we spent about 30 min rubbing with WD-40 and it didn't come off....

|

3/3/2018 6:13 PM

speed_racer wrote:

SrfNdirt wrote:

That's probably a good sign. Maybe I'm wrong but I don't think that is a high stress area for the frame. If that was near the neck, different story. Maybe you can use that as a bargaining point..."first flat landing I hit that thing is gonna snap, knock off a thousand bucks and we got a deal!"

|

3/3/2018 6:19 PM

Go look at an Kawi that's been outside at a Dealership for more than 2 or 3 weeks and you'll see a lot worse

|

3/3/2018 8:20 PM

SrfNdirt wrote:

Not sure what WD-40 is going to do, but next time try an abrasive scotch-brite pad (the red ones) without any "lubricant."

|

3/3/2018 8:45 PM

Scotch brite and mag wheel cleaner will get that right off

|

3/3/2018 10:33 PM

Its fcked ill give you 500 sight unseen.
No? tongue

|

3/3/2018 10:39 PM

Ohhhhh shit dude, not good

Ive seen this in bikes before, some say its uncurable.

Looks to me like your bike has AIDS. Its starting to spread to the pre-frontal aluminum cortex, and will probably make its way to the inner trans-dermal EFI unit before long!

Get that bike to the nearest dealership quick! If you dont, that bikes inner lubrication system will be permenantly damaged, or worse!

Ive seen cases where bikes with that condition end up in the hands of wheelie-boys, bald rear tires and pavement rash in no time at all

|

3/3/2018 10:41 PM

lol but really thats just surface oxidation, happens to pretty much all types of metal. Maybe you should have paid attention in science class grin grin

|

3/3/2018 10:51 PM

The guy whos time you wasted is probably like "dude you'll never believe what this Craigslist joker cried about on the bike!"

|

3/4/2018 1:27 AM

yz133rider wrote:

The guy whos time you wasted is probably like "dude you'll never believe what this Craigslist joker cried about on the bike!"

^^This. That bike looks brand new. At least the parts in the pics.

|

3/4/2018 4:00 AM

Looks like surface oxidation?

|

I ripped a start from Egypt and I was happy about that.

3/4/2018 11:14 AM

Try a grinder

|

3/4/2018 11:32 AM

Do they leave that section rougher than the other areas for boot grip and wear compared to the top section, or is it just a shitty casting?

|

3/5/2018 7:52 PM

Seen that kind of "rust" on buddy's brother's bike. We're finishing the installation of the rack and tonneau cover on his truck when his brother came. It is larger and mainly on the corner side, we thought it is kind of surface oxidation.

|

3/5/2018 8:12 PM

Asimo wrote:

Do they leave that section rougher than the other areas for boot grip and wear compared to the top section, or is it just a shitty casting?

Top section is an extrusion. Different manufacturing methods.

|

3/5/2018 8:19 PM

Cygrace74 wrote:

Go look at an Kawi that's been outside at a Dealership for more than 2 or 3 weeks and you'll see a lot worse

Don't leave bikes sit outside. They are made of plastic, foam, rubber, etc. Who leaves their bikes sit outside for weeks?

|

3/5/2018 8:21 PM

Cygrace74 wrote:

Squirrelings wrote:

Don't leave bikes sit outside. They are made of plastic, foam, rubber, etc. Who leaves their bikes sit outside for weeks?

Dealerships

|

I ripped a start from Egypt and I was happy about that.

3/5/2018 9:32 PM

make1go wrote:

Its fcked ill give you 500 sight unseen.
No? tongue

Ur bike is scary--a death trap fur sure...but this dude's tryna rip you off!!
Maybe I can help ya out....
I'd be willing to take it off your hands and trade you straight across for my sweet '94 RM 125.
It ran super great when I put it away 11 years ago, and every single part on the inside that you can't see has been totally and completely rebuilt. Just a lil luv and you'll be hucking gaps in no time.
Anyway, lemme know. Piece.

|

If you don't crash once in a while, you're not going fast enough.

3/6/2018 6:29 AM

Looks like a Wheelie Boy has marked your bike for retrieval. That's their version of a prison tat.

|

You kids get off my lawn!

2013 KTM450 Factory Edition
Projects......lots of projects!