Fractured T8 and T9. Would you keep riding?

wwoberg
Edited Date/Time 8/9/2022 7:04am
4 weeks ago, during morning practice, I did a little high side coming off the back side of a jump. It threw me over the bars and I landed on my back........helicopter ride, MRI, X-rays, and multiple Dr appts 4 weeks later I'm doing OK (no paralysis) and slowly recovering with a brace.

I'm 53 yrs old and have been riding/racing for 40 yrs. MX is a huge part of my life.

But I don't think I'm gonna be able to ride again. Not only the pain that I've been through, but the heavy impact it has had on my family. My bike is still sitting in the garage, dirty.

Not sure what I'm gonna do. Anyone gone through same? I sure hope I can swing a golf club when I fully recover.
|
biondo
3/5/2021 4:39pm Edited Date/Time 3/5/2021 4:40pm
wwoberg wrote:
4 weeks ago, during morning practice, I did a little high side coming off the back side of a jump. It threw me over the bars...
4 weeks ago, during morning practice, I did a little high side coming off the back side of a jump. It threw me over the bars and I landed on my back........helicopter ride, MRI, X-rays, and multiple Dr appts 4 weeks later I'm doing OK (no paralysis) and slowly recovering with a brace.

I'm 53 yrs old and have been riding/racing for 40 yrs. MX is a huge part of my life.

But I don't think I'm gonna be able to ride again. Not only the pain that I've been through, but the heavy impact it has had on my family. My bike is still sitting in the garage, dirty.

Not sure what I'm gonna do. Anyone gone through same? I sure hope I can swing a golf club when I fully recover.
Hi just started Mx last year and I’m 67! But I’m rethinking after not making it over a double ! I hit hard my shoulder is better but tore ligament in thumb 😢 I was just looking at my golf clubs....thinking maybe I better just take it easy...I won my first Mx race last year and so I thought this is not bad ...after seeing all the injuries the pros have...
I think I will just ride within myself not try to
Prove something! Just have Fun ! Plus my wife will be happy 😃
Just hope you recover soon!! 🙏
1983YZ125
Fantasy
1568th
3/5/2021 4:42pm
There are other forms of riding other than the track if you're body can handle it. Golf is boring as hell. I'd spend more on lost golf balls than it costs to ride.

You are likely close to some of the best trials riding in the country (trials training center) along with some great trail riding as well.
hogkiller
3/5/2021 4:48pm
wwoberg wrote:
4 weeks ago, during morning practice, I did a little high side coming off the back side of a jump. It threw me over the bars...

T 12 mushroomed and bunch of compressed vertebrae internal bleeding i was 6,1 now not even 6 ft. came up short on a jump i was 44 ,1 weeks in hospital and 6 months off work old now at 65 and still riding and racing gets sore if i dont move around but all is good stared racing again the year after my crash.....have faith
wwoberg
3/5/2021 4:49pm
1983YZ125 wrote:
There are other forms of riding other than the track if you're body can handle it. Golf is boring as hell. I'd spend more on lost...
There are other forms of riding other than the track if you're body can handle it. Golf is boring as hell. I'd spend more on lost golf balls than it costs to ride.

You are likely close to some of the best trials riding in the country (trials training center) along with some great trail riding as well.
Yea. I've done a lot if trails all around here. Even have a turn track in my front yard.

Thing about this crash was I wasn't doing anything extreme, really just going down a hill. It could have happened anywhere. That's what's got me scared.

The Shop

3/5/2021 4:52pm Edited Date/Time 3/5/2021 4:53pm
Compression fractured my t11 in Jan of 2020. Herniated a disc in oct 2020. I’ve already ridden 8 times in 2021. I have youth on my side though I’m 31. Surfing hurts my back more then riding does now. My back feels fine and sometimes even better after riding as long as I don’t oj anything big. I’m definitely becoming more of a pussy tho
JWACK
3/5/2021 6:03pm
First off I’m glad your ok. Could have been worse.
I had a nasty one In 2018. Similar to yours it was a high side on the back of a jump. I made a mistake and paid for it.
Compression fracture t7-t9 along with breaking my pelvis in 5 places. My buddies picked me up on a scrap piece of plywood and I rode to the hospital in the back of a pickup bed sipping on a cold ass Mountain Dew. That was a LONG ride!

Getting back to your question. I took some time off and like you wasn’t sure if I was going to get back on again. I dont want to do that to my family again, that was the worst..
Took about 4 months to heal and another 2 to get back on a bike. Eased back in with a bunch of corner track motos and trail rides.
In the long run gravity is going to get you anyways. Might as well enjoy the ride.

neverwas
Fantasy
784th
3/5/2021 6:13pm
Vintage MX is much less racing on the body and it's still twisting a throttle and racing.
As mentioned above, lots of other kinds of dirt bike riding
kage173
3/5/2021 6:51pm Edited Date/Time 3/5/2021 6:52pm
Chill and don't make any decisions. Leave the bike dirty. I've had back surgery. I've also seen a 60 yr old lifelong motohead friend give up for 2 years and then come back to it.

Your injury is serious. Mentally and physically. That should nit be diminished. Deal with it and get better. Do the surgery or physical therapy or whatever you need to do. Don't worry about riding or not riding. Once you're better go wash your bike and figure out what not having it will do to you.

karlsmith808
3/5/2021 6:52pm
I would say take it easy and ride the trails or ride at the track for fun but not do full-on races.
wwoberg
3/5/2021 7:06pm
kage173 wrote:
Chill and don't make any decisions. Leave the bike dirty. I've had back surgery. I've also seen a 60 yr old lifelong motohead friend give up...
Chill and don't make any decisions. Leave the bike dirty. I've had back surgery. I've also seen a 60 yr old lifelong motohead friend give up for 2 years and then come back to it.

Your injury is serious. Mentally and physically. That should nit be diminished. Deal with it and get better. Do the surgery or physical therapy or whatever you need to do. Don't worry about riding or not riding. Once you're better go wash your bike and figure out what not having it will do to you.

Thank you for the wise advice.
Stewyeww
3/5/2021 7:12pm
I had a pretty bad accident (albeit I was much younger), I didn't touch my bike for 4-5 months, slowly got back into it after I sorted my fitness out from the accident after a couple more months. Like Kage said, give it some time, go do some other things and get back into it when/if it feels right.
cmotodad
3/5/2021 7:17pm Edited Date/Time 3/5/2021 7:18pm
Back in 2007, I did T-8 9 10 11. I was 50 at the time. As funny as it sounds, this is the only time I didn't say I'm done. There were others pretty bad that I did. Don't try to make any rash decisions, see how you feel and go from there. I do concrete work still today, back gets sore at times but I'm old and still moto on the weekends.
kb228
3/5/2021 7:22pm
Id make that call after youre healed and done with therapy.
yak651
Fantasy
214th
3/5/2021 8:09pm
7 years ago, first ride of the year my throttle stuck and I hit a berm around a corner pinned in third shooting me into some trees. Luckily they weren’t huge trees but I was hurting. Had some friends load my bike and help me in my truck. I used the cruise control as gas and drove a hour home. I somehow got out of my truck and made it to my bedroom. Called my wife and asked when she would be home then asked her to come home soon. She gets home and asked what happen, can’t really explain but having hard time breathing. She gets ahold of my neighbor who is a nurse and she says i need to go to ER. Wife takes me any I’m in tears that I’m going to have to give this crap up...anyhow turned out I had a half dozen broken ribs and collapsed lung. I sold everything but wife could tell I was miserable. After 6 months or so she told me to get another bike. I did, started riding again and doing the occasional race. Try not to push my limits as I turn 50 this year. Saying that going thru caring for my mom that has stage 4 cancer and is in hospice. Doing this makes me rethink riding as don’t want people to have to take care of me if something would happen due to riding. Sucks this sport can be so fun but consequences can be so bad. Good luck with your decision, it’s not an easy one
3/5/2021 9:49pm Edited Date/Time 3/5/2021 9:49pm
I’ve just accepted the fact that I’m an absolute motocross drug addict, just one more score. Just one more then I’m done. I promise one more time that’s it this is the last time I’m done.
Chance1216
3/5/2021 10:23pm
I took nearly 8 years off from riding after a serious injury.
Several broken bones, miscellaneous hardware, two weeks before I was set to head off to basic. I was devastated.
Ultimately, I focused on recovery and then my plumbing apprenticeship. Eventually, I started watching the races again and began missing it. It’s a personal decision coming back after an injury. I don’t ride over my head and try to be as safe as possible. I’ve bounced off a few trees here and there but, still keep coming back. I know the day I hang it up is coming. Arthritic knees, neck, ankle and, hands are pretty painful the day after riding.
All I can say is, take your time. Don’t rush any decisions and focus on getting better as previously mentioned.
AxlBundy
3/6/2021 6:19am
Single Track. You; crash 5x as much, but at a much lower speed and you get to experience some awesome nature
wrc777
Fantasy
783rd
3/6/2021 8:16am
Were you wearing a back protector? I’m curious if they help prevent or lessen that type of injury.
wwoberg
3/6/2021 9:06am
wrc777 wrote:
Were you wearing a back protector? I’m curious if they help prevent or lessen that type of injury.
Yes. Atlas neck and chest/back protector. I was curious also. Not a scratch on the back piece.
nytsmaC
3/6/2021 9:24am
I took two years off after mine, didn’t sell anything though. I still had no urge or desire to ride, decided it was time and sold the bike, and as soon as it was gone I felt compelled to go buy a new one. I still haven’t ridden but the urge is coming back, after almost a 3 year hiatus.

Give it time and see how you feel, no one can make this decision for you. There’s no shame in hanging it up, we all have our breaking points. That is something I never understood until it happened to me.
Harv379
Fantasy
1988th
3/6/2021 9:57am
If you're like me, my happiness and life has evolved around motorcycles. I suffered a TBI on 6/16/19, and had a very minor crash/head impact on 4/25/20 which I am still not recovered from and am not able to work yet. Doctors, everyone was telling me I was good to go, that it was important for my recovery, that I would be okay, and there was enough time/healing done that a re-injure wasn't a concern. Boy they were wrong. But it's what I wanted to hear, it's all I wanted in life was to be back on the bike.

Now, my mindset has changed. I've had to learn to create a life where I can be OK with out motorcycles, and am grateful I can still walk and function to the capacity that I am able to, so I can hopefully experience and enjoy a longer time on this planet. I have gotten my 'fix' through racing r/c cars, and watching moto. Sure I still get the desire and have moments where the fk it's come in and I want nothing more than to experience that feeling again no matter the cost, but it's irrational thinking. Perhaps later in life, but right now, it's not an option (brain/balance/eye function) & I choose not to.

If you are questioning it, I would say there's your answer. If you're okay with going out there, re injuring it or being worse off, then get back out there. Sometimes I think life throws us signs we ignore, and then pay for them later. Maybe take 1-2 years off, focus on your body/health and becoming the strongest version of yourself so if/when you do get back out there, your body is much stronger for when/if crashes happen again.
wrc777
Fantasy
783rd
3/6/2021 11:26am
wrc777 wrote:
wwoberg wrote:
Yes. Atlas neck and chest/back protector. I was curious also. Not a scratch on the back piece.
That makes me question if back protectors work. Did you land flat on your back or get crumpled up? I assume you landed on more or less flat dirt.
wwoberg
3/6/2021 11:52am Edited Date/Time 3/6/2021 11:55am
wrc777 wrote:
wwoberg wrote:
wrc777 wrote:
That makes me question if back protectors work. Did you land flat on your back or get crumpled up? I assume you landed on more or...
That makes me question if back protectors work. Did you land flat on your back or get crumpled up? I assume you landed on more or less flat dirt.
I'm questioning the same thing. One caveat though was that it was very cold and although the track was prepped and tilled, some of the dirt clods were frozen and I could have landed on an ice spot.

As far as flat or crumbled up, IDK. It knocked the wind out of me and when I got my wind back I couldn't get up.
Rawly
3/6/2021 1:28pm
Almost your same story here. Got my first yz80 back in 1976 , just turned 58 and recently purchased another new bike. Hate to tell you , as you well know , it’s pretty hard to get away from this sport when it’s in your blood. I had a crash related neck injury 10 years ago. Didn’t do hardly anything for over 6 months. Then eased my way back into slalom waterskiing which is my other passion. As repetitive as it is and looks , it is actually an adrenaline sport. Started riding the desert again the following year. Lost interest in racing but currently put in around 100 hours annually riding tracks and desert. I am currently retired , and my wife is set for life if something bad happens to me. That was the big concern. I only had a half million in life insurance while working , which would not have lasted a lifetime for her. As for now , try to enjoy yourself and your family in the slower lane. Good luck with your recovery and decision my friend.
SKIDLID
Fantasy
761st
3/6/2021 2:30pm Edited Date/Time 3/6/2021 2:34pm
I just broke c2-7 in August along with my jaw, one rib, and a TBI. Not sure if I will return but I hope to right now. I just turned 50, so who knows?
I broke my fib in 99 riding. My first child was just a 6 months old at the time . I thought I would quit but wanted to ride once more so I could tell my daughter that she saw me ride once.
We went to my local track when nobody was around. I was so nervous back on the bike. It was a horrible day. I got home and decided I didn’t want my last memory on the bike to be that. I went the next week to end on a better note. I have not quit yet. Many crashes and surgeries since but I always wait till I am healed to decide, my feelings change once I am better.
ocscottie
3/6/2021 2:53pm
Give it time and focus on your recovery, you have plenty of time to make that decision. Glad you are ok otherwise!
sandman768
3/6/2021 3:32pm
ocscottie wrote:
Give it time and focus on your recovery, you have plenty of time to make that decision. Glad you are ok otherwise!
Agree with this... get yourself healthy & strong... you will be able to ride again if you want to... don’t rule out Cross country/ GNCC/ sprint enduros ect. That type of riding is fun and rewarding without the risks of big jumps. I’m the same age as you, I’ve had 2 ACL surgery’s after 40 years old, not as serious as your injuries but long rehab just the same. It can be an emotional roller coaster but stay focused on getting better. Good luck
coastie44
3/6/2021 4:06pm Edited Date/Time 3/6/2021 8:41pm
MTB is surprisingly fun. I ride MX only and don’t get much out of trail riding a dirt bike , but I just started mountain biking again on a modern “slack geometry” bike (after not liking it all in the early 2000’s). At 55 I can imagine a time where I will have to give up MX, but if I can still ride a MTB I would be ok. I don’t do much of anything but local trails and some small jumps but it gives a pretty good moto-like fix.
Blackie59
3/6/2021 8:03pm
I compressed my T8 and T9 in 1978 when I was 19. Sold my RM250 and got serious about college. Rode motorcycles on and off since then but no racing. Last year my twin 10 year old boys wanted to ride dirt bikes so we all got new bikes and we just ride trails for fun. My only advice post injury is to slow down and ride within yourself. Do that and you’ll reduce your risk of another serious injury.
3/7/2021 7:44am
No. I would not keep riding. I had a congenital (at birth) defect in my back, which forced me to have surgery on my back when I was 14. I had to give up racing then. I'm 59 now. I don't fear death. But I have a deathly fear of being paralyzed. After recovery, I rode trails for several more years, but I gave that up too when I started coming to work every Monday limping (turns out, bouncing off trees isn't that healthy). One of the hardest decisions I ever made, as I dearly loved riding. I still enjoy watching the races. I also know that I likely never would have been good enough anyway (It takes me too long to learn a new course). And my career as an engineer is likely way better than any racing career I would have had. Go enjoy golf. I do. I also have a sportscar. I get my speed fix on 4 wheels now. As great as riding is, it's not worth winding up in a wheelchair. This sport is for the young.

Post a reply to: Fractured T8 and T9. Would you keep riding?

The Latest