Fractured Fibula-Super Sensitive and Painful When Wearing MX Boots. Any Suggestions?

Motocrossmatt
I fractured my Tib/Fib in 2006. Long story but I had a horrible first surgeon that totally messed up both my ankles/feet. I was crippled. I moved back to CA, and I've had nearly a surgery every six months to correct the original surgeons mess. Now, after so many surgeries the outside of my right ankle (now a joint replacement), is super painful when I put my boots on.
Has anyone else experienced this kind of pain, and what have you done to help relieve the pain so you can ride? Any recommendation on boots?
Any help would be very much appreciated!
Thanks!
|
Xavier
11/5/2020 5:04pm
I fractured my Tib/Fib in 2006. Long story but I had a horrible first surgeon that totally messed up both my ankles/feet. I was crippled. I...
I fractured my Tib/Fib in 2006. Long story but I had a horrible first surgeon that totally messed up both my ankles/feet. I was crippled. I moved back to CA, and I've had nearly a surgery every six months to correct the original surgeons mess. Now, after so many surgeries the outside of my right ankle (now a joint replacement), is super painful when I put my boots on.
Has anyone else experienced this kind of pain, and what have you done to help relieve the pain so you can ride? Any recommendation on boots?
Any help would be very much appreciated!
Thanks!
If you have any metal still in there and that doctors say it's OK to take it out, do it.
I have experienced it twice (in the same leg, 30 years apart), believe me, it works, no brainer.
If you don't have metal in there, probably a nerve has been damaged by the broken fibula and when you compress the whole area, it's reviving the trauma, not sure if there's anything you can do in that case.
SKIDLID
Fantasy
805th
11/5/2020 5:08pm
I agree taking metal out if possible helps. If not try two socks on that ankle to pad it some. I have done both on mine to help pain related to bad fractures.
snape99
11/5/2020 7:42pm
I have bad ankle suffer same pain. I use Astars tech 10 .
The inner booty is great. Zero pain with that setup
kb228
11/5/2020 7:51pm
I crushed the top of my tibia and fibula at the knee and most of the pain was from hardware. Its no good in a joint. So x100 on getting the hardware out if possible. Also look into Sg12 boots. Very roomy and good padding inside.

The Shop

Cory128
11/6/2020 4:24am
Depending on where and what type of pain your feeling might depend on what type of boots you could look into. I am a believer in the Tech-10's with the inner bootie. The nice feature is with the bootie, it can be easily removed and a custom brace will fit in its place. Have you looked into any type of orthotic or custom ankle brace? Maybe your wearing one now for your daily activity?
I have made multiple custom items for riders with ankle and foot issues to help alleviate pain while riding. I always suggest the Tech-10's for that reason. I will admit they are bigger and more bulky but I feel you get used to that in a few rides at the most. Please feel free to DM me if you have any questions about what options you might have to help your issue.
Motocrossmatt
11/6/2020 5:23am
Thanks for all the replies!
I had all the hardware removed when I had an artificial joint installed a couple years ago. My most recent surgery on my right ankle was this last March. I had two clumps of non-dissolving sutures left in my ankle from when the joint was replaced. The sutures were working their way out through the skin! My current surgeon removed them. The joint is strong enough and doesn't feel as though it's going to twist or collapse. I've just been left with pain from the pressure of the boot on that spot. A custom inner bootie might be the best solution.
Once again, thank you for all your thoughts and replies!
They are much appreciated!
MK

Post a reply to: Fractured Fibula-Super Sensitive and Painful When Wearing MX Boots. Any Suggestions?

The Latest