Foxboro 450 Main 18th thru 20th lapped 3 times

Leave Us To
Edited Date/Time 4/26/2022 9:24pm
21st was lapped four times and 22nd was a DNF. You're no longer part of the race after getting lapped twice. After the leader passes you the 2nd time the next time past the finish line, your race should be done. And I will never accept safety is the reason this concept wouldn't work. Open to hearing why this wouldn't work but please don't tell me racers can't pull off the track safely. RIders drop out now and riders pull into mechanics area without a multi bike pile up so getting two or three riders off the track during the race safely is possible.

If we had A and B mains or a Superfinal for 250/450 B riders this wouldn't be an issue.
|
4/24/2022 4:42am
Agreed. Let’s say you’re in 20th, for example. At that point, two laps down, how can you even continue to really push forward to catch 19th? You’ve got blue flags and racers all around that are on the lead lap, you’d have to focus more on that than your own race.
4/24/2022 5:07am
Wasn’t Meshey lapped like 6 times earlier in the season? Might misremember but it was at least 4 times that race aswell. Getting lapped 8-10 times over 2 races is not a good look
Markee
Fantasy
1890th
4/24/2022 5:34am
If I was lapped 6 times I would pull off myself.
4/24/2022 6:16am
I think once you are lapped twice that’s it.. you are basically a moving road block at that point.

The Shop

Leave Us To
4/24/2022 6:21am
Wasn’t Meshey lapped like 6 times earlier in the season? Might misremember but it was at least 4 times that race aswell. Getting lapped 8-10 times...
Wasn’t Meshey lapped like 6 times earlier in the season? Might misremember but it was at least 4 times that race aswell. Getting lapped 8-10 times over 2 races is not a good look
Meshey qualifed and that's good enough for me. I respect everyone on the track and the only way you get better is race experience. The lappers we're discussing really won't up their race game experence being a rolling road block while doing their best to stay out of the leaders way in the closing laps. They've gotten enough experience by that point in the race plus the field was expanded to 22 in the 450s a few years ago. Two more 450 riders are racing instead of watching from the stands.
Crush
4/24/2022 8:23am
Bro they can't tell us the riders accurate start position.
4/24/2022 8:39am
Crush wrote:
Bro they can't tell us the riders accurate start position.
Lol we can’t even get commentary
Magoofan
Shadow Glen (for those who remember), CA US
4/24/2022 10:22am
It's the end of the season. Motivation is shot, the title is done, riders don't want to risk injury going in outdoors.

I wasn't surprised.

4/25/2022 7:58am
When would you have the lapped rider pull off? Do they pull off before or after getting lapped twice?

Using Foxborough as an example: Does Anderson have to pass Meshy twice for Meshy to get black flagged? If so that gives a clear advantage to Sexton and Musquin who are chasing Anderson and now don't have to deal with navigating around lappers. If you are black flagging Meshy before Anderson comes around to lap him twice then what is the cutoff point?

Further up the order you have guys like Clayson, Breece, Starling, and Noren who are battling for top 20 in the series which constitutes several thousand dollars payout from the AMA. At Foxborough I believe Clayson got the pass on Breece for 13th with two laps to go. Those guys are still battling late into race (although they both finished only 1 lap down this round).

I'm open to some kind of idea but implementation seems like it would be an issue. I would prefer they make tracks with longer lap times but that probably isn't so simple either. It would also be nice to see better adherence to the blue flag being waved.

Side note: in off-road racing the pros also have to lap non-pros, 100s of them at that. Not exactly a direct comparison but it's just part of racing sometimes.
Leave Us To
4/25/2022 9:00am
The rider that was lapped twice is given the signal the next time pass the finish line to pull off in a designated area until the checkers fly. As other riders are lapped twice they join the first rider in the designated area. Doesn't seem that complicated to me.
4/25/2022 11:54am
The rider that was lapped twice is given the signal the next time pass the finish line to pull off in a designated area until the...
The rider that was lapped twice is given the signal the next time pass the finish line to pull off in a designated area until the checkers fly. As other riders are lapped twice they join the first rider in the designated area. Doesn't seem that complicated to me.
Thats not hard to implement but you would be penalizing the leaders of the race. That gives a distinct disadvantage to the leader, who actually has to lap them, while then removing the lappers and opening up the track for anyone else chasing. I'm also not sure it really does anything, most of the riders who get lapped twice are not getting lapped a third time.
philG
4/25/2022 11:58am
You have half a 450 class, and 2 halves of a 250 class.

We see average 250 guys stepping it up to 450 cos its easier to make the night show and mains..

Age limit 250, so the park and stay down boys get moved out, and run 1 250 class.

gt80rider
4/25/2022 1:25pm
I think once you are lapped twice that’s it.. you are basically a moving road block at that point.
At this level of racing .... guys could get the "pull it off, its over" flag before they go 2 laps down... get lapped once, ok..... but before the leader is on you for the second lapping, you get the flag...

or we could do a 107 percent rule like in F1... but then you might not have too many guys on the gate....
LungButter
4/25/2022 1:52pm
Magoofan wrote:
It's the end of the season. Motivation is shot, the title is done, riders don't want to risk injury going in outdoors.

I wasn't surprised.

Yep, you're right....the guys in 18th-20th are definitely mailing it in because the title fight is over....

L.O.L.
4/25/2022 1:54pm Edited Date/Time 4/25/2022 1:55pm
gt80rider wrote:
At this level of racing .... guys could get the "pull it off, its over" flag before they go 2 laps down... get lapped once, ok...
At this level of racing .... guys could get the "pull it off, its over" flag before they go 2 laps down... get lapped once, ok..... but before the leader is on you for the second lapping, you get the flag...

or we could do a 107 percent rule like in F1... but then you might not have too many guys on the gate....
At 107% of Sexton's 49.954 pole time would only leave 14 guys qualifying for the night show at Foxborough with sub 53.453 lap times. Notably Starling, who was lapped twice in the main, would qualify in this situation while Breece and Noren, who were only lapped once, would not qualify.

I added a red line to the qualifying chart to show the cutoff:

face biter
4/25/2022 2:18pm
How about if they shot every lazy suns a bitch that goes a lap down? That would be a humane way to save the offending rider the hassle of finding a safe place to exit the track.
TeamGreen
4/25/2022 2:18pm
A coupl’a weeks ago, Cooper rolled around the track trying to salvage points: loved that.

That fastest 40 go to the night show: love that.

The fastest or luckiest 22 go to the main: love that.

Every now and then, a privateer…a REAL privateer makes it to the main & often struggles just to finish the damn thing. I absolutely love that they’re out there. They EARNED IT. At the same time, I’ll text the 722 that he needs to bump-up his “main game”.
Grinning
But, to be clear, as a friend of some of these guys, and to a person…I would say…

“Lappers are part of the game. Deal with it. They’re just a moving obstacle. No excuses!”

Some of you already bitch about how boring the races are. Why are you trying to make them MORE boring?
kpiper
4/25/2022 3:56pm
Black flagging lappers is never going to happen.

I disagree that this 'issue' is an issue.
Leave Us To
4/25/2022 7:34pm Edited Date/Time 4/25/2022 7:37pm
TeamGreen wrote:
A coupl’a weeks ago, Cooper rolled around the track trying to salvage points: loved that. That fastest 40 go to the night show: love that. The...
A coupl’a weeks ago, Cooper rolled around the track trying to salvage points: loved that.

Every now and then, a privateer…a REAL privateer makes it to the main & often struggles just to finish the damn thing. I absolutely love that they’re out there. They EARNED IT. At the same time, I’ll text the 722 that he needs to bump-up his “main game”.
Grinning
But, to be clear, as a friend of some of these guys, and to a person…I would say…

“Lappers are part of the game. Deal with it. They’re just a moving obstacle. No excuses!”

Some of you already bitch about how boring the races are. Why are you trying to make them MORE boring?
Black flagging the racers you reference and preventing them from racing the final two laps/two minutes of the main event hardly impacts what these hard working racers have earned. This is especially true since the AMA went to timed mains. No more 11 or 12 minute 250 mains and 15 or 16 minute 450 mains at facilities with 44 second lap times.

How does eliminating moving obstacles make the races more boring? Do you find it exciting seeing lappers impact championship contenders' title chances? The title contenders work pretty hard too and earned the right with two laps to go to race on a track clear of riders going at a much slower pace. There's also a safety angle in removing lapped racers from the track in the final minutes if you think about it.
TeamGreen
4/25/2022 8:08pm Edited Date/Time 4/25/2022 8:10pm
TeamGreen wrote:
A coupl’a weeks ago, Cooper rolled around the track trying to salvage points: loved that. That fastest 40 go to the night show: love that. The...

Grinning

Black flagging the racers you reference and preventing them from racing the final two laps/two minutes of the main event hardly impacts what these hard working...
Black flagging the racers you reference and preventing them from racing the final two laps/two minutes of the main event hardly impacts what these hard working racers have earned. This is especially true since the AMA went to timed mains. No more 11 or 12 minute 250 mains and 15 or 16 minute 450 mains at facilities with 44 second lap times.

How does eliminating moving obstacles make the races more boring? Do you find it exciting seeing lappers impact championship contenders' title chances? The title contenders work pretty hard too and earned the right with two laps to go to race on a track clear of riders going at a much slower pace. There's also a safety angle in removing lapped racers from the track in the final minutes if you think about it.
As I said, EVERYONE has to deal with the lappers. Everyone.

Everyone out there has their AMA SX Endorsement and they have ALL earned the OPPORTUNITY to be out there. It is all part of racing.

This "track clearing" is something some of you see as making better racing or something along those lines. Not me. That's something that makes it less of a race...and, therefore, "boring".

Let them ALL race...let them ALL finish their race...let them ALL earn it. That's how some of the rest of us see it.

I am soooo over the idea that some of these guys are royalty or, worse...yet, are too fragile to have to deal with lapping the competition. Furthermore, safety is no where near the "problem" many seem to say it is within the context of this thread.
Leave Us To
4/25/2022 8:22pm Edited Date/Time 4/26/2022 9:19pm
I like your ALL mantra but let's scale down ALL to double row start the mains so 44 riders are in each Main. More lappers will make the racing even more exciting so how cool would that be? Might need some more blue flags but lappers are part of racing and everyone has to deal with them so not a problem.
Radical
Fantasy
2360th
4/26/2022 12:46am
Lappers earned the right to race the main, and earn as many points as possible toward the championship.
Passing them is part of the game.
Leave Us To
4/26/2022 9:22pm Edited Date/Time 4/26/2022 9:23pm
How does reducing the track time by less than two minutes of a twenty one minute main short change anyone in the days of timed mains. Would be interesting to see how many passes are made in these final minutes by those lapped twice or more.
kpiper
4/26/2022 9:33pm
I love how Cade Clason (I think it was him) said a few weeks ago, "Yea, I am getting sick and tired of the attitude these leader guys come around with when they are lapping us." (paraphrasing)

Love it Cade. As someone said above, there is no royalty in motocross racing.
Leave Us To
4/27/2022 9:04am
Someone please ask Cade Clason how much he enjoys lapping the same riders 3 times in a 21 minute race. I support lappers and agree they're a part of racing but after they've been lapped twice they're no longer part of the race. Lappers are a part of racing but do you want a championship decided because of an incident with a lapper? I don't.

Two lap sign comes out everyone who's been lapped more than once pulls off so the final 90 to 120 seconds of racing has fewer blue flags. Maybe they test drive it at the MEC then implement it going forward or save it for the last two races of the season if a championship is still on the table..22 rider fields and timed mains are great but more lappers are definitely the other side of the coin.

Post a reply to: Foxboro 450 Main 18th thru 20th lapped 3 times

The Latest