Fox X Supreme

Jt$
5/22/2018 10:51am Edited Date/Time 5/22/2018 10:57am
Premix wrote:
But let’s be honest here JT, you don’t work for solely a “gear company”. WPS distributes Fly, A stars, and a slew of other hard parts/products...
But let’s be honest here JT, you don’t work for solely a “gear company”. WPS distributes Fly, A stars, and a slew of other hard parts/products for the moto, UTV, ATV, Watercraft, and street industries. Correct me if I’m wrong here, but Fox has never gotten into selling Mufflers for Harley’s or life vests for jet skis. So in that sense, Fox has remained more true to it’s “moto core” than WPS has. Simply put, I honestly don’t think this alienates anyone and if anything draws attention to the brand, maybe not so much the sport, but then again, neither do Fly life vests.
Are we counting Fox Skate, Fox Surf, Fox Wake, etc divisions? Also, Fox casual shoes?

Also, there seem to be a few people alienated in this thread.
early
Fantasy
2212th
5/22/2018 10:53am Edited Date/Time 5/22/2018 10:53am
Premix wrote:
But let’s be honest here JT, you don’t work for solely a “gear company”. WPS distributes Fly, A stars, and a slew of other hard parts/products...
But let’s be honest here JT, you don’t work for solely a “gear company”. WPS distributes Fly, A stars, and a slew of other hard parts/products for the moto, UTV, ATV, Watercraft, and street industries. Correct me if I’m wrong here, but Fox has never gotten into selling Mufflers for Harley’s or life vests for jet skis. So in that sense, Fox has remained more true to it’s “moto core” than WPS has. Simply put, I honestly don’t think this alienates anyone and if anything draws attention to the brand, maybe not so much the sport, but then again, neither do Fly life vests.
Fox has probably made more money selling t shirts and hoodies at pac-sun than riding gear.
Jt$
5/22/2018 10:54am Edited Date/Time 5/22/2018 10:54am
early wrote:
Fox has probably made more money selling t shirts and hoodies at pac-sun than riding gear.
I think casual is around 3:1 or slightly more versus moto.
TeamGreen
5/22/2018 10:58am Edited Date/Time 5/22/2018 8:50pm
Premix wrote:
Jt$ wrote:
Are we counting Fox Skate, Fox Surf, Fox Wake, etc divisions? Also, Fox casual shoes? Also, there seem to be a few people alienated in this...
Are we counting Fox Skate, Fox Surf, Fox Wake, etc divisions? Also, Fox casual shoes?

Let's not forget the Mt. Bike stuff...jeans...etc. & over the years a few other things.

I think Premix doesn't understand that FLY is a brand owned by WPS and when it comes to their moto-gear, they operate EXACTLY as JT$ has stated.

The Shop

Premix
5/22/2018 11:03am Edited Date/Time 5/22/2018 11:09am
Jt$ wrote:
Are we counting Fox Skate, Fox Surf, Fox Wake, etc divisions? Also, Fox casual shoes? Also, there seem to be a few people alienated in this...

Sure we can count those, but when you make a claim that:

And at the gear company I work for, I can 100% guarantee you that we are dedicated to remaining focused on our core customer (not simply appearing to do so).

We can question what really your core customer really is....

And for the 5 butthurt people on Vital MX, they sold out of their run of supreme in 13 seconds. I think Pete Fox will take that trade off.

Just a bad look to bag on another company, regardless of the industry, on a public forum, in a thread that already has been put through the ringer. Almost like vultures on roadkill.....
early
Fantasy
2212th
5/22/2018 11:08am
Premix wrote:
Sure we can count those, but when you make a claim that: [i]And at the gear company I work for, I can 100% guarantee you that...

And at the gear company I work for, I can 100% guarantee you that we are dedicated to remaining focused on our core customer (not simply appearing to do so).

And for the 5 butthurt people on Vital MX, they sold out of their run of supreme in 13 seconds. I think Pete Fox will take that trade off.

Just a bad look to bag on another company, regardless of the industry, on a public forum, in a thread that already has been put through the ringer. Almost like vultures on roadkill.....
If you want to talk about parent companies...
https://www.altamontcapital.com/portfolio/all/
Jt$
5/22/2018 11:10am
To be clear, I am not bagging on anyone. Fox is the biggest moto gear brand in the world and has a long history of excellence in the marketplace. They set the standard for what everyone has aspired to be over the last few decades. That's undeniable.

That doesn't mean I always have to agree with marketing direction.

That statement you quoted above was based on this comment, not at anything else. "Hate to break it to you but OEMs and gear companies are trying to make money...(and appear core), not stay core. Staying core means you ultimately go out of business. haha"
Jt$
5/22/2018 11:11am Edited Date/Time 5/22/2018 11:12am
Premix wrote:
Sure we can count those, but when you make a claim that: [i]And at the gear company I work for, I can 100% guarantee you that...

I don't think Pete is anywhere near this anymore. That dude is a marketing legend, though.
peelout
5/22/2018 11:17am
claiming Fly is 100% dedicated to remaining focused on the core customer is like saying the Ridgeline is a truck.

Fly has mtb, water, snow, bmx, etc just like Fox. by not joining up with another company like Supreme, it doesn't make Fly any more "Core" than Fox. i'm not talking shit on Fly, they have great products and it's good to see the progression from gear made out of paper to the high quality stuff they have now.

being "Core" is a very shortsighted ideology anyway. might as well tell people you burned your tongue drinking coffee before it was cool.
Premix
5/22/2018 11:18am
early wrote:
If you want to talk about parent companies...
https://www.altamontcapital.com/portfolio/all/
So now we’re going to bag on a company for having the ability to sell a portion of it to grow bigger? Which I believe when that transaction took place was north of the 200 million mark.

I give up....
early
Fantasy
2212th
5/22/2018 11:21am
Premix wrote:
So now we’re going to bag on a company for having the ability to sell a portion of it to grow bigger? Which I believe when...
So now we’re going to bag on a company for having the ability to sell a portion of it to grow bigger? Which I believe when that transaction took place was north of the 200 million mark.

I give up....
From you:

"WPS distributes Fly, A stars, and a slew of other hard parts/products for the moto, UTV, ATV, Watercraft, and street industries. Correct me if I’m wrong here, but Fox has never gotten into selling Mufflers for Harley’s or life vests for jet skis. So in that sense, Fox has remained more true to it’s “moto core” than WPS has"
Jt$
5/22/2018 11:23am
peelout wrote:
claiming Fly is 100% dedicated to remaining focused on the core customer is like saying the Ridgeline is a truck. Fly has mtb, water, snow, bmx...
claiming Fly is 100% dedicated to remaining focused on the core customer is like saying the Ridgeline is a truck.

Fly has mtb, water, snow, bmx, etc just like Fox. by not joining up with another company like Supreme, it doesn't make Fly any more "Core" than Fox. i'm not talking shit on Fly, they have great products and it's good to see the progression from gear made out of paper to the high quality stuff they have now.

being "Core" is a very shortsighted ideology anyway. might as well tell people you burned your tongue drinking coffee before it was cool.
I didn't claim FLY Racing was more "core" than anyone or any brand. I simply stated what we are dedicated to. We want to make the best products we can possibly make and service our dealers the best way we possibly can. That's it. Pretty simple.
Premix
5/22/2018 11:26am
early wrote:
From you: "WPS distributes Fly, A stars, and a slew of other hard parts/products for the moto, UTV, ATV, Watercraft, and street industries. Correct me if...
From you:

"WPS distributes Fly, A stars, and a slew of other hard parts/products for the moto, UTV, ATV, Watercraft, and street industries. Correct me if I’m wrong here, but Fox has never gotten into selling Mufflers for Harley’s or life vests for jet skis. So in that sense, Fox has remained more true to it’s “moto core” than WPS has"
And....has fox started selling Harley Mufflers since then? Don’t reach too hard, I don’t want you to hurt yourself.
Premix
5/22/2018 11:29am Edited Date/Time 5/22/2018 11:33am
Jt$ wrote:
I didn't claim FLY Racing was more "core" than anyone or any brand. I simply stated what we are dedicated to. We want to make the...
I didn't claim FLY Racing was more "core" than anyone or any brand. I simply stated what we are dedicated to. We want to make the best products we can possibly make and service our dealers the best way we possibly can. That's it. Pretty simple.
For the TL:DR crowd, here’s what this thread turned into. Fly Racing Buzzards, available at your local dealer Fall 2018.

Jt$
5/22/2018 11:33am Edited Date/Time 5/22/2018 11:34am
Premix wrote:
For the TL:DR crowd, here’s what this thread turned into. Fly Racing Buzzards, available at your local dealer Fall 2018. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/05/22/263481/s1200_A7B9DAB0_6977_4652_AC95_AFE7EF2A106F.jpg[/img]
For the TL:DR crowd, here’s what this thread turned into. Fly Racing Buzzards, available at your local dealer Fall 2018.

Haha ok, man. Have a good one.
NV825
Fantasy
2730th
5/22/2018 11:35am
This is a huge gamble (and what I would consider a short sighted tactic) because they are banking on netting more casual wear fans with the partnership of the wheelie boyz than losing hard core moto fans who know that these guys are famous for stealing bikes, breaking other laws, and making hell on the lives of those in major cities.

2chainz on national TV helps gain more eye balls, but are those eyes attracted to Supreme or Fox? Will that Fox head logo be able to stand out alone and inspire a purchase when the consumer is online or in the store and sees the t-shirt minus the Supreme logo? Was it worth alienating a giant portion of their core moto fans who purchase gear every year as they move on to companies that would never support the wheelie boyz/gangsta image?

Time and financials will tell, but if that was my decision I'm going a different route that doesn't leave a sour taste to my base customer.
early
Fantasy
2212th
5/22/2018 11:54am
Premix wrote:
And....has fox started selling Harley Mufflers since then? Don’t reach too hard, I don’t want you to hurt yourself.
The point is, where does the money go when you buy a product. Fly/WPS puts alot of money back into ProMX/SX (including alot of privateers), amateur events and local events. Currently Fox mainly sponsors only top tier pro riders. I don't see Altamonte Capital or any of their subsidiaries putting much money back into the power sports industry. Also I consider all motorcycling and power sports part of the core industry. I don't mind Harley's, jet skis, or snowmobiles. But that just my opinion.
tprice07
5/22/2018 12:03pm
Fox will make more money from this than the little bit of money that it makes from the small demography that we have. it's not selling...
Fox will make more money from this than the little bit of money that it makes from the small demography that we have. it's not selling out, its called marketing and promotion.

What is Fox supposed to cater to what you guys think only?

Its called entering a new market segment and that will bring a broader appeal and spectrum to this sport which we so desperately need. This sport is not doing very well at all and its money is very limited. I dont think a full season of supercross brings in what a months worth of a NFL football season brings in.

A lot of you guys need to stop living under rocks and stop being little babies who think this sport is only for you.
Jt$ wrote:
I don't necessarily think they are entering a new market to bring appeal to this sport as you said. I think it's completely separate from moto...
I don't necessarily think they are entering a new market to bring appeal to this sport as you said. I think it's completely separate from moto entirely.

Thinking that this will project will increase moto fanbase is silly to me. Selling their products into a different segment is a different thing than increasing the moto base.

I also think you might be underestimating their moto business. Saying it's a little bit of money is absolutely false. If you want to compare it to the NFL, ok, but that comparison will never be relevant. Moto will never be the NFL regardless of any marketing ever conjured up.

Knowing their goals are much broader than strictly moto, I don't think it's short sighted in that sense. For moto, sure, it might not appeal to the majority. They probably knew that going in, though.
I am on board with what they are doing. I think it was a wise business decision. Fox has had a presence in the main stream for a while and I think they do very well with it.

The same outrage happened back when Fox first started to dabble in the mainstream. Or at least when I first remember common folk wearing the Fox brand. I think you are right in that it didn't necessarily gain the sport exposure.

I wish I had real numbers on the current state of motocross/supercross. I can only assume the overall number of people getting into moto and buying gear is shrinking. A company like Fly is likely seeing growth within the industry as they continue to take over a larger portion of the market share. But eventually that has to cap out. Once a company like Fly is able to take over the motocross world and put everyone in their gear I think they will not only be capped, but they will see a decrease. Unless..they can convince each customer to buy more gear. That can be done of course through varying lines and designs that release throughout different times of the year.

That all said, I think I would have slapped that gear on a moto guy first to set the tone for it. Then release it outside the motocross community.

I really have no idea what I'm talking about but since this is vital I just wanted to put in my 2 chains...er I mean cents
cousinskeet
5/22/2018 12:41pm
This move by fox is far beyond moto. Any company would love to sell out of all of their product in 13 secs.
Jt$ wrote:
Yes, but as I was saying above, if you are committed to being core moto, things are much more complicated. Many of the comments in this...
Yes, but as I was saying above, if you are committed to being core moto, things are much more complicated. Many of the comments in this thread from moto customers are reiterating that. If the goal is to sell something above all else, I am sure this was successful.
Sorry don't work in front of a computer but fox, Oakley, and Troy Lee to a lesser extent have left their moto core audience a long time ago. I would figure there are enough eyes with wallets in such a non mainstream sport.
Jrewing
5/22/2018 2:21pm
Well for one I'm not buying Instinct boots again even though I really liked them, because I disagree with supporting glorifying shit stain criminals.
5/22/2018 2:38pm
NV825 wrote:
This is a huge gamble (and what I would consider a short sighted tactic) because they are banking on netting more casual wear fans with the...
This is a huge gamble (and what I would consider a short sighted tactic) because they are banking on netting more casual wear fans with the partnership of the wheelie boyz than losing hard core moto fans who know that these guys are famous for stealing bikes, breaking other laws, and making hell on the lives of those in major cities.

2chainz on national TV helps gain more eye balls, but are those eyes attracted to Supreme or Fox? Will that Fox head logo be able to stand out alone and inspire a purchase when the consumer is online or in the store and sees the t-shirt minus the Supreme logo? Was it worth alienating a giant portion of their core moto fans who purchase gear every year as they move on to companies that would never support the wheelie boyz/gangsta image?

Time and financials will tell, but if that was my decision I'm going a different route that doesn't leave a sour taste to my base customer.
EXACTLY! Thank you for keeping the main argument alive with this post.
5/22/2018 2:39pm Edited Date/Time 5/22/2018 2:40pm
Jrewing wrote:
Idiocrocy... The movie was prophetic

I think the word you’re thinking of is “prophetic.”
Flip109
5/22/2018 4:01pm
I haven’t bought fox gear in the last ten years, and wasn’t planning on it anyway. So they can supreme that shit up with fuckin sour cream for all I care LaughingLaughing
Frank
5/22/2018 4:41pm
Gang its ok. Im the biggest Fox motohead around and Im good with them leaving moto. It was a good 40 year run. Move on to the other brands and quit bitching about their choice to do so.
peltier626
5/22/2018 5:35pm Edited Date/Time 5/22/2018 5:36pm
Supporting board sports vr's criminals are two totally different avenues.
B Gotti
Fantasy
4184th
5/22/2018 5:39pm
Were can i buy this crap so i can burn it?
GuyB
Fantasy
988th
5/22/2018 5:47pm
Premix wrote:
For the TL:DR crowd, here’s what this thread turned into. Fly Racing Buzzards, available at your local dealer Fall 2018. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/05/22/263481/s1200_A7B9DAB0_6977_4652_AC95_AFE7EF2A106F.jpg[/img]

I generally think more info from various manufacturers is better than less info. Are you trying to be the coyote that chases the buzzards? I don't get what comments like yours do to make things better.
Premix
5/22/2018 6:01pm
GuyB wrote:
I generally think more info from various manufacturers is better than less info. Are you trying to be the coyote that chases the buzzards? I don't...
I generally think more info from various manufacturers is better than less info. Are you trying to be the coyote that chases the buzzards? I don't get what comments like yours do to make things better.
Info, yes, agree 110%. National sales manager coming on and publicly slandering another brand (and ironically what most would consider an icon in the industry), nah, I’m not down with that. Who is JT to imply to anyone at Fox what they should or shouldn’t do? It’s just petty and super unprofessional especially for his role within his company.

Post a reply to: Fox X Supreme

The Latest