Fox Racing - Official Statement Addressing the ACU Ban of V3RS Helmet

ML512
Fantasy
54th
Edited Date/Time 5/14/2022 4:22am
Fox sent out this email in response to the ACU in the UK recently banning their V3RS helmet from competition. There was a thread on it like a week or two ago.

Fox Racing would like to address the recent statement made by the ACU. Please see below for a response from the brand:

Fox Racing is the leader in motocross equipment, and safety is our number one priority. The equipment and gear we create undergoes series of rigorous tests prior to being put to market. A recent notice was circulated by the ACU Off Road Technical Panel Secretary stating that the Fox V3RS Motocross Helmet has been banned from ACU events. We would like to emphasize that the V3RS helmet has passed all globally-recognized standards including the ECE (European Safety Standard) and DOT (US Safety Standard). The Fox team is working with the ACU to have the V3RS tested immediately so the appropriate paperwork can be filed on this model. All questions and inquires can be directed to Tanner Klem at customerservice@foxracing.com

|
bestmx
5/12/2022 10:28am
Whilst it's good that they've recognised this issue, I think the transparency should have come from when they were advised (weeks ago) and as a big company, Fox should have stepped in to help those effected and offered them help on alternatives (discount on the approved V1/ V2) rather than just leaving everyone in limbo, a Saturday afternoon before race meetings.

We also still don't have an answer as to what's actually gone on here. The ACU stated that this issue was present on not just the V3RS, but the V3 and V4 - the latter helmets have been outdated for how long?

If the helmets haven't met the standards required by the ACU, how have they been sold by Fox with ACU stickers for nearly a decade?

Have asked the ACU this exact question, but wasn't given a direct answer.

5/12/2022 10:37am
I had my v3 on yesterday it fits perfect I,m 100% comfortable wearing it and with the rating. I was shocked actually on how Great the helmet is.
aees
5/12/2022 10:50am
Is there an actual security issue, or Is it just paper work missing?

I have 4 of these and I'm seriously wondering if I'm safe in them or taking unnecessary risk...!

The Shop

ayearinmx
5/12/2022 12:24pm Edited Date/Time 5/12/2022 12:25pm
This has absolutely NOTHING to do with helmet safety, but only occurred due to Brexit and the old EU sticker being redundant and a new UK sticker being needed...

For some reason, rather than contact Fox, (or any of the other affected brands) the ACU, in all their wisdom sent out that inflammatory press release, causing panic and problems, when all they had to do was speak to the brands and get them to pass the UK test (which all the current helmets would)

Of course this is the ACU, so they didn't do that.... Pinch
ayearinmx
5/12/2022 12:26pm
These same Fox helmets were run at the MXGP of Italy last weekend, under the FIM umbrella
bestmx
5/12/2022 1:50pm Edited Date/Time 5/13/2022 1:16am
ayearinmx wrote:
This has absolutely NOTHING to do with helmet safety, but only occurred due to Brexit and the old EU sticker being redundant and a new UK...
This has absolutely NOTHING to do with helmet safety, but only occurred due to Brexit and the old EU sticker being redundant and a new UK sticker being needed...

For some reason, rather than contact Fox, (or any of the other affected brands) the ACU, in all their wisdom sent out that inflammatory press release, causing panic and problems, when all they had to do was speak to the brands and get them to pass the UK test (which all the current helmets would)

Of course this is the ACU, so they didn't do that.... Pinch
The ACU didn't even send out a press release though.

Just told organisers on a Saturday afternoon to fail the helmets at scrutineering the following morning with no time for people to source an alternative helmet and no official information being released.

Only way the news got out was because one organiser gave people the heads up with a poorly written Facebook post - poor showing for the ACU and Fox really for not being transparent from the off, so people didn't travel miles to be told they couldn't race (no I wasn't one of those people).

I assumed that it was due to Brexit, but the ACU didn't comment on that when I asked and given the fact the V4 was on the list and not the V1/ V2 it sounded like there was more to it than that..

I'm someone who's exclusively worn Fox helmets since they were made by AGV and can assure you, I've personally tested them enough to trust them, so I didn't have any safety concerns. Just more the ACU and their ability to ensure helmets are approved before allowing them to be sent out with their approval sticker. Just devalues the whole thing really and makes you question them as an organisation.

Mucktub
5/12/2022 2:10pm
I was told last weekend by my local Fox stockist that Bell and Airoh also had models affected. Not sure whether it's true or not but I've no reason not believe my source.
Robgvx
5/12/2022 2:35pm
I ran JT ALS2 helmets in 1989. They weren’t ACU approved either, but just fine with the FIM for use in GPs.

The ACU….
kage173
5/12/2022 2:38pm Edited Date/Time 5/12/2022 2:39pm
Why would the British subject themselves to the standards of a continent only 20 miles away with a measley 750 million people in it.

ayearinmx
5/12/2022 11:26pm
Mucktub wrote:
I was told last weekend by my local Fox stockist that Bell and Airoh also had models affected. Not sure whether it's true or not but...
I was told last weekend by my local Fox stockist that Bell and Airoh also had models affected. Not sure whether it's true or not but I've no reason not believe my source.
Multiple helmet brands were also on the "banned" list... But for some reason Fox was the one highlighted by the ACU and all this furore was caused.
The fact is the ACU only just noticed these helmets weren't properly stickered, reacted without thinking (typical) and instead of reaching out to the brands, gave an extremely vague statement about it, leading to much more confusion than was necessary
bestmx
5/13/2022 1:17am
Robgvx wrote:
I ran JT ALS2 helmets in 1989. They weren’t ACU approved either, but just fine with the FIM for use in GPs.

The ACU….
They probably hadn't been sold with ACU approval stickers though right? That's the issue - for me anyway.
Robgvx
5/13/2022 5:43am
bestmx wrote:
They probably hadn't been sold with ACU approval stickers though right? That's the issue - for me anyway.
Correct. The issue was that the JTs were made to US Snell(?) standards. The FIM accepted Snell standards but the ACU insisted helmets should comply with British Standards. The British Standard wasn’t any better, just different. However, for JT it wasn’t worth going through the expense of testing to a different standard for just one small country.

Probably the exact same situation right now with Fox.
bestmx
5/14/2022 1:39am
bestmx wrote:
Robgvx wrote:
Correct. The issue was that the JTs were made to US Snell(?) standards. The FIM accepted Snell standards but the ACU insisted helmets should comply with...
Correct. The issue was that the JTs were made to US Snell(?) standards. The FIM accepted Snell standards but the ACU insisted helmets should comply with British Standards. The British Standard wasn’t any better, just different. However, for JT it wasn’t worth going through the expense of testing to a different standard for just one small country.

Probably the exact same situation right now with Fox.
Yeah, it's not the same.

Fox helmets have been sold with the ACU approval stickers on them and raced at ACU events for months (Years if it's the OG V3/ V4 helmets that the ACU stated in their initial memo to race organisers). The ACU have then retrospectively decided that they don't comply.
bestmx
5/14/2022 4:22am

Perhaps one day a professional organisation will be able to put out a professional statement on their own account.

Post a reply to: Fox Racing - Official Statement Addressing the ACU Ban of V3RS Helmet

The Latest