Forum QNA: 2018 Honda CRF250R

Related:
Create New Tag

10/27/2017 1:27 PM

Honestly, fitting in all my thoughts on the 2018 Honda CRF250R into a video is pretty tough so I'll be running a QNA for anyone who's looking for more info on the new machine. Got a question or want more explanation, let them rip.

The video: http://www.vitalmx.com/product/guide/Bikes,6/Honda/CRF250R,15698#product-reviews/802

Photo

|

10/27/2017 1:33 PM

Is it faster than a 98 CR250R?

|

I blame Honda.

10/27/2017 1:35 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/27/2017 1:35 PM

How much does the suspension on this bike vary in design from the new CRF450R? I see they went to traditional spring forks on the 250 as well.

|

10/27/2017 1:35 PM

Plugga wrote:

Is it faster than a 98 CR250R?

Ask Ronnie Mac.

|

10/27/2017 1:37 PM

Thanks for doing this.. always enjoy the QnA topics.

Currently on a 16 CRF250R, but looking to buy a new bike this winter. I know you haven’t ridden all of the 250s for 2018 but do you think this will be the bike of the class? Personally I think it looks badass but if I buy it, it’s gotta be better than the 2016 I have now.

|

10/27/2017 1:56 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/27/2017 4:27 PM

Considering Honda did not release an RX in the 250 platform, how do you think this bike would work if used for east coast hare scrambles and enduros?

|

10/27/2017 2:01 PM

mreber17 wrote:

Considering Honda did not release an RX in the 250 platform, how do you think this bike would work if used for east coast hare scrambles and enduros?

Same question. I was really hoping for an RX version but considering I've always ridden MX bikes in the woods anyway, I'm okay with throwing a big tank onto the "R" version. With that said, I'm a little concerned with all of the talk of the lack of bottom end.

|

10/27/2017 2:02 PM

Can you feel the weight difference of the new bike?

Are the dyno numbers available yet?

|

2017 RMZ450
2005 YZ250-sold :,(
1998 YZ250
2005 KX250F

80% of the time it works every time
IG @hamdaddyof2 & @2HRacing
Thanks to : Factory Effex, N2Dirt, Acerbis, DT1, Fasthouse, Matix, FMF, ASV, 100% & Mika Metals

10/27/2017 2:15 PM

mattyhamz2 wrote:

Can you feel the weight difference of the new bike?

Are the dyno numbers available yet?

Answers to these questions are already in the video....

ML, did Honda mention something about reliability for this new engine? I can imagine the high revving motor needs some more maintenance then the Honda's did before.

|

10/27/2017 2:23 PM

twotwosix wrote:

How much does the suspension on this bike vary in design from the new CRF450R? I see they went to traditional spring forks on the 250 as well.

Same design, different valving. So you could essentially take the 450 suspension and bolt it right up. Which is pretty much standard platform across all brands.

|

10/27/2017 2:28 PM

I had an '11 CRF250R which I really liked, probably the best handling bike I've owned, unfortunately you couldn't be lazy with that bike as the power was all to the right of the curve.

I'm fatter, lazier and a 450 is arguably too much for me once I get tired. But it seems this bike wouldn't be what I am after either if you are saying the down low is compromised to the previous gen uni cam.

Blue bike looks like it's for me then.

|

10/27/2017 2:42 PM

What’s a better value, the Honda or KTM?

|

10/27/2017 2:56 PM

I was really surprised MXA said it goes flat on top-end. That opinion does not seem to match Vital's (ML512) or RacerX (Pingree). Maybe MXA's bike was not running correctly? Ecklund also made the comment it almost felt like the clutch was slipping when he first rode it.

|

Motocross....a once in a lifetime experience....every weekend.

10/27/2017 3:05 PM

mattyhamz2 wrote:

Can you feel the weight difference of the new bike?

Are the dyno numbers available yet?

wideopen198 wrote:

Answers to these questions are already in the video....

ML, did Honda mention something about reliability for this new engine? I can imagine the high revving motor needs some more maintenance then the Honda's did before.

My bad. Im at work so I cant watch it

|

2017 RMZ450
2005 YZ250-sold :,(
1998 YZ250
2005 KX250F

80% of the time it works every time
IG @hamdaddyof2 & @2HRacing
Thanks to : Factory Effex, N2Dirt, Acerbis, DT1, Fasthouse, Matix, FMF, ASV, 100% & Mika Metals

10/27/2017 4:20 PM

why the half megabomb system?
Why not full bomb?
Is it an exhaust version of the mullet, party on the left serious business on the right?

|

10/27/2017 4:34 PM

tunedlength wrote:

why the half megabomb system?
Why not full bomb?
Is it an exhaust version of the mullet, party on the left serious business on the right?

laughing best exhaust analogy, ever!
|

10/27/2017 4:51 PM

mxjeff575 wrote:

I was really surprised MXA said it goes flat on top-end. That opinion does not seem to match Vital's (ML512) or RacerX (Pingree). Maybe MXA's bike was not running correctly? Ecklund also made the comment it almost felt like the clutch was slipping when he first rode it.

Yeah I thought that was a bit odd. I'm sure if you just keep revving the bike it has to go flat eventually. How far did he rev it? I gunna believe Ping's version of event's though.

|

10/27/2017 11:09 PM

Hey Michael, first of all thanks for the videos you put out, always very informative.
Whilst at the intro, have you had the chance to find out what the Geico people learned so far?
I like to ride my bikes in third gear most of the time, never really going down to second or even first gear. Currently I have a RMZ250, in tighter corners I have to help it with the clutch a bit. How do you think the Honda will be when ridden that way?

|

10/28/2017 4:18 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/28/2017 4:24 PM

Hi Michael, I have a 2015. Does the 2018 have a greater distance between the handlebars and footpegs? Is so, do you remember how much? My KTM’s footpegs seem to be a few inches further back, which I really like, especially on steeper hills.

Also, it looks like fifth gear seems a bit taller this year. Could you tell if that is true, and if so a swag as to how much faster speedwise?

Thanks for the excellent video and doing this QNA!

|

10/28/2017 5:46 PM

Sold my 16 CRF250R back in May after convincing myself MX was too expensive and I could find another hobby, now back to looking at bikes, loved the handling of my 16, found some cheap leftovers but wondering if it would be worth just springing for the 18. 32yr old, 5'11, 165lb, C rider (about 5 years experience weekend warrior).

|

"Asking this question here is analogous to going to a KrispyKreme store and asking the patrons if you should have a doughnut."-NotCore

10/28/2017 6:55 PM

Sorry all, just finished up the first day of the 2018 250F Shootout so I've been slammed. Answering questions now...

|

10/28/2017 6:59 PM

JackLHyde wrote:

Hey Michael, first of all thanks for the videos you put out, always very informative.
Whilst at the intro, have you had the chance to find out what the Geico people learned so far?
I like to ride my bikes in third gear most of the time, never really going down to second or even first gear. Currently I have a RMZ250, in tighter corners I have to help it with the clutch a bit. How do you think the Honda will be when ridden that way?

With stock gearing, the '18 CRF250R doesn't like third gear in tight corners, it's very flat at low RPMs and doesn't snap back to life easily, at least not without some serious clutch usage.

As for Geico, their staff wasn't at the intro.

|

10/28/2017 7:00 PM

usafwx wrote:

Sold my 16 CRF250R back in May after convincing myself MX was too expensive and I could find another hobby, now back to looking at bikes, loved the handling of my 16, found some cheap leftovers but wondering if it would be worth just springing for the 18. 32yr old, 5'11, 165lb, C rider (about 5 years experience weekend warrior).

Depends what you're looking for in a 250F. For my style, I find the '18 to be overall much better but I will admit if you're looking for hit at low RPMs, you might be a bit disappointed. How would you describe your riding style?

|

10/28/2017 7:04 PM

MikeID wrote:

Hi Michael, I have a 2015. Does the 2018 have a greater distance between the handlebars and footpegs? Is so, do you remember how much? My KTM’s footpegs seem to be a few inches further back, which I really like, especially on steeper hills.

Also, it looks like fifth gear seems a bit taller this year. Could you tell if that is true, and if so a swag as to how much faster speedwise?

Thanks for the excellent video and doing this QNA!

I'm not sure of the actual hard numbers but the bike feels more "roomy" than the previous CRF250R. Even though I'm a small rider, I wasn't a big fan of the cockpit on the previous bike. The new one allows you to be more aggressive with your stance and not sit as upright as the previous bike.

As for MPH, no clue, but I was in fifth on the track a bit today. You scream it and shift a lot.

|

10/28/2017 7:05 PM

ML512 wrote:

Depends what you're looking for in a 250F. For my style, I find the '18 to be overall much better but I will admit if you're looking for hit at low RPMs, you might be a bit disappointed. How would you describe your riding style?

I had a 2016 YZ125 that was perfect and a 15 YZ250F that was too much bottom end (had to remap it) for me. I enjoyed the power band in my 16 CRF250R but did find it to be flat at times. I'm by no means anything besides a novice weekend warrior, usually have the bike somewhere between 2nd and 3rd. I wish I could tell you more about my style or was good enough to give detail.

|

"Asking this question here is analogous to going to a KrispyKreme store and asking the patrons if you should have a doughnut."-NotCore

10/28/2017 7:06 PM

nascarnate326 wrote:

What’s a better value, the Honda or KTM?

That's tough, Shootout will be live in a week and I think you'll find your answer there.

|

10/28/2017 7:07 PM

mreber17 wrote:

Considering Honda did not release an RX in the 250 platform, how do you think this bike would work if used for east coast hare scrambles and enduros?

I think chassis and suspension wise, yes. Engine wise, would take some re-gearing and some effort from the rider.

|

10/28/2017 7:09 PM

usafwx wrote:

I had a 2016 YZ125 that was perfect and a 15 YZ250F that was too much bottom end (had to remap it) for me. I enjoyed the power band in my 16 CRF250R but did find it to be flat at times. I'm by no means anything besides a novice weekend warrior, usually have the bike somewhere between 2nd and 3rd. I wish I could tell you more about my style or was good enough to give detail.

The 18' CRF250R is sorta like a 125 but on a lot of drugs...it sounds like you'd actually quite like the power on it. Yes, it has more roll on than a 125 but it's not the hit a YZ250F has...and it's really rewarding the harder you ride it. Sorta like the fun factor a 125 has.

|

10/28/2017 7:11 PM

ML512 wrote:

The 18' CRF250R is sorta like a 125 but on a lot of drugs...it sounds like you'd actually quite like the power on it. Yes, it has more roll on than a 125 but it's not the hit a YZ250F has...and it's really rewarding the harder you ride it. Sorta like the fun factor a 125 has.

Awesome! Thanks ML. Looks like I'll be putting that deposit down on the 18. Excited to get back into the sport and on a great bike.

|

"Asking this question here is analogous to going to a KrispyKreme store and asking the patrons if you should have a doughnut."-NotCore

10/28/2017 7:11 PM

craigathan404 wrote:

Thanks for doing this.. always enjoy the QnA topics.

Currently on a 16 CRF250R, but looking to buy a new bike this winter. I know you haven’t ridden all of the 250s for 2018 but do you think this will be the bike of the class? Personally I think it looks badass but if I buy it, it’s gotta be better than the 2016 I have now.

It's a big step for Honda but it's going to be tight for the win. Just started Shootout today and it's tight between a lot of bikes.

We will have the winner in around a week.

|