Formula 1: Drive to Survive

tcallahan707
Edited Date/Time 3/19/2019 11:09am
I finished the series Formula 1: Drive to Survive on Netflix.

Wow. I am now a fan of F1 and will be following along this season. Not only did it bring out the "Grand Prix race car driver" feels from my childhood, but it showed the reality of the sport. It captures the raw emotions of racing on the highest level. I like that drivers show emotion, swear, and give honest answers. I like that team managers get into it with each other. I like that the press are not friends with teams. They all understand it's a business and this series shows what it's like to navigate that business and the emotions that come with it. I feel motocross can learn so much from this series.

We seem to suppress emotion in our sport in an effort to stay PC, which limits storylines. I feel as if we sometimes forget that this is a high stakes competition. By showcasing the emotions and the behind the scenes stories, fans can connect with the riders much more. Right now, especially with Feld and the media, the focus seems to be on becoming a nice, clean, easy advertisement platform. We need to return the focus to racing and the emotions that surround that. I can't help but imagine what a series from Feld could look like if they put more resources into accepting, promoting, and documenting the storylines that all these riders feel the need to keep hush hush about.

I also can't help but think it's a microcosm of a bigger issue. America simply tries to deny emotion and it's starting to show.
|
rstaichi
3/14/2019 12:08am
Yea I’m at home with a cast on arm and both legs. Been watching a lot of tv and just watched that too. It was great. Prime has one to on mclaron not as good but a different look
Boomslang
Fantasy
725th
3/14/2019 12:17am
I've been following F1 since the early 80's and am finding the past few years have been somewhat predictable.

The Senna / Prost era was insane.

BS12
3/14/2019 12:27am
Haven't watched it so it may be an uneducated comment, however F1 is the pinnacle of all (4 wheeled) motorsport, bringing in massive worldwide followers and sponsorship dollars. It can afford to show its "true" side. Moto is a very small community in comparison, especially the AMA being a National (not global) sanction.

Feld and the AMA need to do everything they can in a bid to secure as many sponsorship dollars as possible. Allowing the riders/media to have free reign of sorts, say what they want etc has every chance of hurting the image of the sport.

Motocross is a "dirty" and dangerous sport in comparison to the elite, prestigious status that F1 carries. So its a little bit of an apples and oranges case.
3/14/2019 1:03am
just finished it yesterday and loved it ..some great footage and background insight and things you would normally never see in race weekends .. too bad Mercedes and Ferrari wouldnt cooperate

The Shop

motomike137
3/14/2019 4:28am
I've watched most of it and really enjoyed it. I've been a "motorsports" fan all my life and love seeing the behind the scenes stuff like this.
Boomslang
Fantasy
725th
3/14/2019 4:40am
Coming through on the News that Charlie Whiting has passed away.
3/14/2019 4:44am
Excellent series. Great viewing even if your not a hardcore F1 fan. Can't wait for the 2019 season to start this weekend.
tcallahan707
3/14/2019 6:11am
Boomslang wrote:
I've been following F1 since the early 80's and am finding the past few years have been somewhat predictable.

The Senna / Prost era was insane.

I can understand why that may be the case. I was a bit shocked at how they would straight up call themselves the midfield and racing for 4th and whatnot but it makes sense since money and the car is so important. This series was likely so awesome to watch because I didn't have any clue what went down. Awesome for a casual or non fan, which was sort of the point of the second half of my post. Our sport could do a much better job and weekly and seasonal recaps.
tcallahan707
3/14/2019 6:22am
BS12 wrote:
Haven't watched it so it may be an uneducated comment, however F1 is the pinnacle of all (4 wheeled) motorsport, bringing in massive worldwide followers and...
Haven't watched it so it may be an uneducated comment, however F1 is the pinnacle of all (4 wheeled) motorsport, bringing in massive worldwide followers and sponsorship dollars. It can afford to show its "true" side. Moto is a very small community in comparison, especially the AMA being a National (not global) sanction.

Feld and the AMA need to do everything they can in a bid to secure as many sponsorship dollars as possible. Allowing the riders/media to have free reign of sorts, say what they want etc has every chance of hurting the image of the sport.

Motocross is a "dirty" and dangerous sport in comparison to the elite, prestigious status that F1 carries. So its a little bit of an apples and oranges case.
I understand what you are saying and agree with it's accuracy. Perception does come into play. I'd make the argument though that trying to make a "clean cut" version of our sport is part of the growth process and we . As we have become much more professional overall, it's maybe time to let the leash out a bit. At the end of the day, fans need to connect with riders. They need to care about the storylines. Instead, we get some stupid ass segments (some have gotten better), youtube policing, media claps, and a bunch of other shit that oozes frustration. Fans want access. Fans want authenticity. Fans want personalities. Fans want media to ask the hard questions. If we really want to grow as a sport, we need to bring back the emotions that go along with racing.

Take a minute and imagine what our sport would be like if Instagram and Vital forums didn't exist. We wouldn't know shit about the riders, their struggles, their training, etc. Feld and the media would share results and some corporate PR type of information. Even with all IG and Vital, that is still sort of where we end up. Riders and teams are hush hush and the media doesn't push them.

Why do you think Reed is so popular? It's because he is real and accessible to his fans.
SteezGeez
Fantasy
553rd
3/14/2019 8:57am
On episode 8. Been loving. Excited to start watching F1 as I have never watched an F1 race in my life. If only we could get the red bull series on netflix or something like that I think it would draw in new fans. This series drew me in so hard to a sport I was never interested in. Now since I know so much background on all the teams and riders I am invested. We need to do the same and get a background deep in depth look at all teams so people can watch it and want to dive in hard.

I know we have had certain documentaries and such but putting it on netflix is key.
vdrsnk04
Fantasy
4318th
3/14/2019 10:00am Edited Date/Time 3/14/2019 10:11am
i'm in the middle of this series, it's great!! I am now a fan of F1, didn't know enough of it before to be a fan.
ML512
Fantasy
54th
3/14/2019 10:14am
Starting episode 10 now, absolutely loving the series. So excited for Melbourne this weekend!!! Woohoo
3/14/2019 5:07pm
Non-Moto, report to the F1 thread in the Non-Moto section!!! By the way, isn’t Lewis Hamilton Dreamy??? Look for Mercedes domination again this year Laughing
ML512
Fantasy
54th
3/14/2019 5:21pm
1911 wrote:
Non-Moto, report to the F1 thread in the Non-Moto section!!! By the way, isn’t Lewis Hamilton Dreamy??? Look for Mercedes domination again this year Laughing
It's Scuderia's year! I hope... Evil
3/14/2019 5:34pm
ML512 wrote:
It's Scuderia's year! I hope... Evil
Ferrari winning Is good for F1, I hope it is close racing, like the first half of last year.
FCTRY
3/14/2019 5:47pm
It was great, reminded me a lot of "Inside The Outdoors".
mumbles
Fantasy
842nd
3/15/2019 7:22am
I'm a big fan of Ferrari and have been since I started watching F1 in the 80s. It's been a long time for since their last championship (2007). I think it is their year. I got the chance to go to Maranello and visit the factory and the Ferrari Museum in 2016.

ML512
Fantasy
54th
3/15/2019 7:40am
Anyone on this thread who hasn't seen the documentary "Senna" needs to.
Agreed.
mumbles
Fantasy
842nd
3/15/2019 10:50am
Senna is really good. Boy did he get the political screw u....My favorite is the documentary "1". It's about the beginnings of F1 up to the 80s. It's mostly about the danger and how safety for the drivers came about. It has some fantastic footage.
3/15/2019 11:15am
mumbles wrote:
Senna is really good. Boy did he get the political screw u....My favorite is the documentary "1". It's about the beginnings of F1 up to the...
Senna is really good. Boy did he get the political screw u....My favorite is the documentary "1". It's about the beginnings of F1 up to the 80s. It's mostly about the danger and how safety for the drivers came about. It has some fantastic footage.
Jean Marie Balestre - best decision , is my decision .

mumbles
Fantasy
842nd
3/15/2019 11:23am
Real personalities back then. I love it.
PabstBR11
3/15/2019 12:54pm
Thank god the wait is over, its brutal from last race till winter testing.... And then you have to wait a bit more for an actual race. Like waiting for Supercross to end and get to the real deal outdoors.
crowe176
3/15/2019 1:00pm
I've never been into F1. A side from seeing random clips of Kimi Raikkinon and thinking he has to be the coolest human ever.

I finished watching the series a couple days ago, and went straight to the gram and started following Riccardo, Max etc, and now plan on watching when I can..

It was a good series, especially for anyone not knowing anything about F1.. Curious how F1 experts feel about it though.

crowe176
3/15/2019 1:03pm
Also, after I finished watching the F1 doc, I watched the Sir Frank Williams movie, and that was interesting too.

Obviously, Senna was the best F1 doc I've watched.

I'm kind of ashamed it took this long to gain interest.
Stuntman949
3/15/2019 1:10pm
crowe176 wrote:
I've never been into F1. A side from seeing random clips of Kimi Raikkinon and thinking he has to be the coolest human ever. I finished...
I've never been into F1. A side from seeing random clips of Kimi Raikkinon and thinking he has to be the coolest human ever.

I finished watching the series a couple days ago, and went straight to the gram and started following Riccardo, Max etc, and now plan on watching when I can..

It was a good series, especially for anyone not knowing anything about F1.. Curious how F1 experts feel about it though.

I'm convinced that Kimi doesn't move his face when talking in any language
3/15/2019 3:46pm Edited Date/Time 3/15/2019 3:46pm
I'm convinced that Kimi doesn't move his face when talking in any language
check this video from FIA Gala 2018 ... Laughing Kimi likes a drink ...or 2

Post a reply to: Formula 1: Drive to Survive

The Latest