Former pro technique guidance

Villo2fan
Edited Date/Time 8/6/2017 12:50am
So, I was wondering. After reading DV12 take a jab at all the current riders who don't like to listen to him preach technique. It got me thinking. DV hasn't even ridden a motorcycle in years. Tracks, bikes, styles and training regimens have progressed so much in the last 15 years and even a lot since DV retired. Sports outgrow even the biggest icons with technological advancements etc. is it possible hiring a guy like DV can really only go so far? Trust me I'm no expert and this isn't a shot at DV. I respect the guy and what he did. Im sure he's full of knowledge and little tid bits but is he a guy you actually pay to teach when he hasn't trained or ridden in years
|
JWACK
8/5/2017 5:37pm
What about Aldon then??
F.B
8/5/2017 6:18pm
It's not like DV only relies on his experience as a racer, he never stopped following and studying the sport.
He was an advocate of "rolling" the turns before Dungey and others started doing it.
ge217
8/5/2017 6:19pm
Villo2fan wrote:
So, I was wondering. After reading DV12 take a jab at all the current riders who don't like to listen to him preach technique. It got...
So, I was wondering. After reading DV12 take a jab at all the current riders who don't like to listen to him preach technique. It got me thinking. DV hasn't even ridden a motorcycle in years. Tracks, bikes, styles and training regimens have progressed so much in the last 15 years and even a lot since DV retired. Sports outgrow even the biggest icons with technological advancements etc. is it possible hiring a guy like DV can really only go so far? Trust me I'm no expert and this isn't a shot at DV. I respect the guy and what he did. Im sure he's full of knowledge and little tid bits but is he a guy you actually pay to teach when he hasn't trained or ridden in years
You're paying for the knowledge. Just bc he hasn't raced in years doesn't mean he forgot how to ride a bike .

The Shop

mikec265
8/5/2017 7:55pm
I have a lot of respect for DV, where he came from, and how he got it done. I am sure he could teach someone well if they can handle the truth, listen, and learn. A kid thats too soft might not fare too well.
Superdave19
8/5/2017 8:12pm
World class corner speed comes fro talent, repitition, and technique. No matter what era.

DV had it.
rob162
8/5/2017 9:13pm
I will never forget dv grabbing the bike and blitzing the whoops no helmet hat on backward sunglasses and some skate shoes! Anyone have that pic?
Rockinar
8/5/2017 9:33pm
When DV raced, you could sit on the couch, smoke weed and eat Doritos all day with Deegan and still make the mains. I don't think that would work today.
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3730th
8/5/2017 9:50pm
He raced at the same time as Ferry, Reed, Carmichael, etc.

Could RC teach you a few things? What about Ferry or Reed?

RC has his school thing. Ferry trains pro's. Reed is still out there getting things done.

Can't remember what thread it was in or who said it but even if the tracks, bikes, styles etc. have changed the fundamentals are still the same.

You can't teach style. Some have it and some don't.

The basics are the basics.
snackfedbear
8/6/2017 12:43am Edited Date/Time 8/6/2017 12:50am
Rockinar wrote:
When DV raced, you could sit on the couch, smoke weed and eat Doritos all day with Deegan and still make the mains. I don't think...
When DV raced, you could sit on the couch, smoke weed and eat Doritos all day with Deegan and still make the mains. I don't think that would work today.
Yea, I bet all these guys were passing the bong with Deegan right before this pic was taken.
shuggs
8/6/2017 12:57am
Villo2fan wrote:
So, I was wondering. After reading DV12 take a jab at all the current riders who don't like to listen to him preach technique. It got...
Technique will never change. As for what he knows/ sees those little bits add up and are the difference IMO
Phillip_Lamb
Fantasy
2447th
8/6/2017 1:15am
Villo2fan wrote:
truthfully, bikes and tracks have NOT come SOOO far that any technique he could teach you would be outdated or useless.

DV12 was racing up to 09 when efi bikes came into play. todays bike arent all that advanced, see;RMZ450, most outdoor titles in last ten years....

and its not like supercross has "evolved" past what is was 16 years ago.

riders have always used the prior generation to help with training, technique etc, guys like gary semics, RC, Rick johnson, stanton etc have all worked with guys nowadays. maybe the bikes are a bit better, and tracks are prepped a lil different. but racing is racing.

dont be so foolish to ignore the wisdom of those who came before
kzizok
Fantasy
2034th
8/6/2017 1:25am Edited Date/Time 8/6/2017 1:29am
shuggs wrote:
Technique will never change. As for what he knows/ sees those little bits add up and are the difference IMO
Clutch slipping, moving up the tank for better cornering,front down landings, heel shifting on starts, both feet down on starts, foot peg hooking, scrub revolution, etc.

dv12.com
Fantasy
134th
8/6/2017 1:29am Edited Date/Time 8/6/2017 1:30am
Villo2fan wrote:
Villo2fan, FYI, I retired on Sept 15 2009. 450 were already out as well as EFI, upside down forks and single rear shocks. I'm 39. Not 69. (I'd love to get your thoughts on De Coster then. I doubt he rode a bike in the last couple decades). I rode a dirt bike more hours than any active riders racing the Nationals this season. I've watched, studied, analysed and wrote about races since years. I've watched every races SX and MX multiple times since the late 80s/early 90s. I used to own hundred of VHS tapes I would study as a kid to understand how Bailey, Johnson, JMB or McGrath were so good. I've studied stats of each race to be able to come up with the best columns I can on PulpMX and LebigUSA every week. As far as your technique comment, historically, it helps rider outperform others, bottom line. What you guys call talent (I don't believe in talent at all) is actually skills and technique acquired by practicing, repetition, the faculty to self teach yourself the proper way to "play" a sport, work ethic, dedication etc... The Williams sisters weren't born with a tennis gene nor was Tiger in Golf, McGrath in SX or Steph Curry to shoot 3 pointers with his eyes closed. I respect the fact you might not agree with what I believe in but don't come here saying I'm pretty much useless and don't know what I'm talking about. Today, Marvin (or Roczen several months ago) backs up what I've been saying for years. They have the best technique and when the tracks are challenging and demand skills and creativy, they shine. There's so far you can go by going balls out and being able to last 25 laps or 35 minutes. I'm sure I'll get blasted on here for posting this and I shouldn't but I can't not say something.
bvm111
8/6/2017 2:13am
Villo2fan wrote:
dv12.com wrote:
Villo2fan, FYI, I retired on Sept 15 2009. 450 were already out as well as EFI, upside down forks and single rear shocks. I'm 39. Not...
Villo2fan, FYI, I retired on Sept 15 2009. 450 were already out as well as EFI, upside down forks and single rear shocks. I'm 39. Not 69. (I'd love to get your thoughts on De Coster then. I doubt he rode a bike in the last couple decades). I rode a dirt bike more hours than any active riders racing the Nationals this season. I've watched, studied, analysed and wrote about races since years. I've watched every races SX and MX multiple times since the late 80s/early 90s. I used to own hundred of VHS tapes I would study as a kid to understand how Bailey, Johnson, JMB or McGrath were so good. I've studied stats of each race to be able to come up with the best columns I can on PulpMX and LebigUSA every week. As far as your technique comment, historically, it helps rider outperform others, bottom line. What you guys call talent (I don't believe in talent at all) is actually skills and technique acquired by practicing, repetition, the faculty to self teach yourself the proper way to "play" a sport, work ethic, dedication etc... The Williams sisters weren't born with a tennis gene nor was Tiger in Golf, McGrath in SX or Steph Curry to shoot 3 pointers with his eyes closed. I respect the fact you might not agree with what I believe in but don't come here saying I'm pretty much useless and don't know what I'm talking about. Today, Marvin (or Roczen several months ago) backs up what I've been saying for years. They have the best technique and when the tracks are challenging and demand skills and creativy, they shine. There's so far you can go by going balls out and being able to last 25 laps or 35 minutes. I'm sure I'll get blasted on here for posting this and I shouldn't but I can't not say something.
Awesome Post David!

Always cool when you post here and I look forward to your collums after every race, they are insightful with excellent analysis!

Barron
brimx153
8/6/2017 2:14am
Villo2fan wrote:
shuggs wrote:
Alot of Technique has changed imo . if you rid a 450 like a two stroke, you will go no where. Also i think DV is great at pointing out what the new Techniques are.
shuggs
8/6/2017 2:43am
Mmm yes but DV did ride in 4st days and he did transition very well from the 2st yes??

Oh and best goon videos
8/6/2017 8:00am
I remember DV saying one of the best training tools is a good pair of running shoes. The more things change the more things stay the same.
omalley
8/6/2017 8:41am
I love the go-to slam that so many use-variations of "I'd like to see you make an SX main,"
"When's the last time YOU raced,"
Etc...
Certainly most current and former national level pros have a leg up on knowledge. That said, thats not the only way to be knowledgeable. I know a guy in his 50's, well over 300 lbs, who has put less than 10 hours on an MX track since the 80's and was never higher than intermediate when he was young. That man knows more about coaching and MX technique than anyone I've ever met, including many pros. Pros don't have the market cornered on knowledge.
Villo2fan
8/6/2017 9:41am
Villo2fan wrote:
dv12.com wrote:
Villo2fan, FYI, I retired on Sept 15 2009. 450 were already out as well as EFI, upside down forks and single rear shocks. I'm 39. Not...
Thanks for answering my question DV. Like I said. Meant no dis respect and I get how in this day in age asking a question will be taken as "saying you're useless"

But again thanks for your input. Better to hear it form the man instead of speculating
kkawboy14
8/6/2017 10:32am Edited Date/Time 8/6/2017 10:33am
Villo2fan wrote:
dv12.com wrote:
I do agree with your idea that riders do need to have more fun and play around sometimes so as to learn. But do you feel that the tracks are so hard that most riders have a hard time moving out of the one line that feels safe? Especially in a race situation?
RudyRayMo
8/6/2017 12:20pm
4 strokes leveled the playing field. You didn't have to be RC or JS on a good day to podium, it became less about technique and more about endurance. DV even said in racer X he wasn't wide open all the time on his 250 2 stroke.
Mit12
8/6/2017 2:50pm
Any decent former pro has the ability to study what the top riders are doing as they can see small things that most others will never pick up on. DV is obviously one of those guys.

Post a reply to: Former pro technique guidance

The Latest