Format Change

Johnny Depp
9/25/2017 2:12pm Edited Date/Time 9/25/2017 2:45pm
aeffertz wrote:
Same song and dance. I like the MEC format sans the joker lane. Curious if they'll commit to the timed events again or go back to...
Same song and dance.

I like the MEC format sans the joker lane. Curious if they'll commit to the timed events again or go back to laps like someone mentioned earlier. I thought I remember hearing that they're doing away with the semis again, too. Anyone else hear that?

Oh and nets.
I hope they don't go back to laps, timed races are much better IMO, they just need to get more dirt. I too remember something about...
I hope they don't go back to laps, timed races are much better IMO, they just need to get more dirt. I too remember something about doing away with the semis, I also remember hearing that when the semis are going on is when the TV viewership is at it's lowest so that could be why.
So if the semi's are boring, I can't imagine how few want to watch the LCQ. If you are going to eliminate riders, make it cold turkey, advance or go sit in the stands.

3 mains with a point total is also a bad plan, but better than what we have now since we get to see the top riders ride more.

Quarters, semis and a final is a more logical conclusion and we still get to see the top guys 3 times.
bh84
Fantasy
1953rd
9/25/2017 2:13pm
The Paris SX format is intriguing, heats pay points, mains pay double what the heats do. I think Mookie would be very much in support of that rule!Woohoo
9/25/2017 2:28pm
I hope they finally include the long rumored loop de loop.

loftyair
9/25/2017 3:04pm
So that ever so important start is even more of a deciding factor, in a mx style event? Great.

The Shop

nosredna297
9/25/2017 3:15pm
This is what I was thinking as well. I would be fine with more point paying races, but leave the joker lane out. Just my opinion...
This is what I was thinking as well. I would be fine with more point paying races, but leave the joker lane out. Just my opinion though.
downard254 wrote:
"There's no joker lane in Supercross. There's NO joker lane in Supercross. Sir, there's a joker lane. There's no joker lane in Supercross!"
Lol!!

I think the joker lane is cool for Monster Cup, but I wouldn’t want it to be a normal thing.
731chopper
Fantasy
418th
9/25/2017 3:23pm
I dont think the format is broken but I'd like to see more points paying races and if there are multiple Mains then the gate picks should definitely be inverted.

I'd also like to see much more creative tracks. Lets see some supercross whoops down a stretch and through the turn. The riders will complain about the "flow" but damn will it create some cool racing and showcase the skills these guys have.
9/25/2017 3:41pm
aeffertz wrote:
Same song and dance. I like the MEC format sans the joker lane. Curious if they'll commit to the timed events again or go back to...
Same song and dance.

I like the MEC format sans the joker lane. Curious if they'll commit to the timed events again or go back to laps like someone mentioned earlier. I thought I remember hearing that they're doing away with the semis again, too. Anyone else hear that?

Oh and nets.
I hope they don't go back to laps, timed races are much better IMO, they just need to get more dirt. I too remember something about...
I hope they don't go back to laps, timed races are much better IMO, they just need to get more dirt. I too remember something about doing away with the semis, I also remember hearing that when the semis are going on is when the TV viewership is at it's lowest so that could be why.
So if the semi's are boring, I can't imagine how few want to watch the LCQ. If you are going to eliminate riders, make it cold...
So if the semi's are boring, I can't imagine how few want to watch the LCQ. If you are going to eliminate riders, make it cold turkey, advance or go sit in the stands.

3 mains with a point total is also a bad plan, but better than what we have now since we get to see the top riders ride more.

Quarters, semis and a final is a more logical conclusion and we still get to see the top guys 3 times.
Actually I'm pretty sure more people watch the LCQ's as they're usually action packed and sometimes the best race of the night.
9/25/2017 3:42pm
kkawboy14 wrote:
I like the joker lane....makes a guy think. Seems to work really good in the car races they do that in.
I'm also in the minority who likes joker lane. It shouldn't be just another strip with usual SX obstacles nor should it be ridiculous with vines. Maybe add a doable element from endurocross (no mud)... just make it different and doable by most, AND consistent across all rounds.
Katoomey
9/25/2017 3:58pm
...and some of you think Supercross is already a circus. Now it will have it's 3 rings
Motoxdoc
9/25/2017 3:58pm
I think it's interesting that the joker lane is going to be FASTER this year instead of slower.
Deek22
9/25/2017 4:54pm
How about one endurocross style Joker lane? Rocks, Logs, Tractor tires. No pre main Practice.
BMSOBx2
9/25/2017 5:14pm
Rupert X wrote:
Forward falling gate, corner-whoops, Dash Fer Ca$h, buck nekkid 30 second board girl, reasonably priced beers and get the 2 smokes re-involved. These. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2017/09/25/216671/s1200_IMG_1032.jpg[/img]
Forward falling gate, corner-whoops, Dash Fer Ca$h, buck nekkid 30 second board girl, reasonably priced beers and get the 2 smokes re-involved. These.

3 thumbs up!! WoohooWoohooWoohoo
Johnny Depp
9/25/2017 9:17pm
Deek22 wrote:
How about one endurocross style Joker lane? Rocks, Logs, Tractor tires. No pre main Practice.
The unpredictable aspect is what is needed. It could be a normal part of the track, and used every lap with practice. You could use a different element for each race. The Matrix is the one that creates the most chaos.
mx617
9/25/2017 10:00pm
Going to 3 mains and no heats/semis/lcqs (if that's what happens) will kill any small incentive there is for a privateer team to do the series. At least now they can get some tv time. What's the point of an MCR doing the series now never mind an actual privateer team?
OT
Fantasy
3021st
9/26/2017 12:55am
I really hope they don't do a 3 moto format...
9/26/2017 2:13am
yak651 wrote:
I think 3 shorter mains would be cool, most of the passing is in the first couple laps anyhow. Like mentioned above it would also be...
I think 3 shorter mains would be cool, most of the passing is in the first couple laps anyhow. Like mentioned above it would also be cool to invert the start gate pics based on the previous "moto" results. Win the 1st of the 3 races you get last gate pick and so forth. I know when there is a certain rider dominating, I always hope they get a bad start. Not that I want to see them do bad, just like to see them race their way to the front.
So fitness played no role in the races? Good idea.
9/26/2017 2:20am
Listening to the PulpMX show last night I guess there will also be 2 or 3 east west races, no semis and maybe a points structure change.
Johnny Depp
9/26/2017 6:04am
There's a lot of leaks coming out. Could be a wiretap.

More combined E/W is a step forward, I'd like it to go further.

No semis means there is going to be heats and lcq. Better for me, not far enough.

Points structure change is welcome if it keeps riders from being out of contention so early.
TeamGreen
9/27/2017 2:11pm
Holeshots Matter

If they make a 3 Main format, I'm starting a new team with Mike Alessi & Andrew Short.
kkawboy14
9/27/2017 2:41pm
kkawboy14 wrote:
I like the joker lane....makes a guy think. Seems to work really good in the car races they do that in.
I'm also in the minority who likes joker lane. It shouldn't be just another strip with usual SX obstacles nor should it be ridiculous with vines...
I'm also in the minority who likes joker lane. It shouldn't be just another strip with usual SX obstacles nor should it be ridiculous with vines. Maybe add a doable element from endurocross (no mud)... just make it different and doable by most, AND consistent across all rounds.
Agreed!
RandyS
9/27/2017 3:06pm
I don't think it belongs in a WC series but it would certainly mix it up to have a short cut joker lane that each rider gets 2 or 3 passes through in a 20ish lap main.
Johnny Depp
9/27/2017 3:36pm
Shark tanks and upside down loops fall in the same category as the joker lane for me. It's just trying too hard.

A short or long cut on the track is only to change track position. Once you change track position keeping track of who went through and who didn't becomes chaos. Once the slower guy sees that he is slower, and can get ahead with the shortcut, the change in track positon will cause riding wide and take outs. The fans end up having to wait until after the race to see who got what place, in case someone didn't take the lane( just like RV did at the MEC). It is a waste of space and money to use it once.

If track positon mix up is what you want (it may be a good thing?) a pit stop would be better for the sponsors to get TV time with their crew. Make all the riders start with a white goggle strap and you have to finish with a black one or something along those lines so the fans could tell who had yet to come in. And of course chug a energy drink Tongue

I'm cool with some Endurocross elements being worked in, because it will create some bike drops.

RandyS
9/27/2017 3:42pm
And bring back the Sumo suits.

Post a reply to: Format Change

The Latest