Form causing headshake?

tempura
9/14/2017 3:59am
I cranked down on the steering damper on my CRF, and that stopped the twitchy feeling I was getting.
My bars will not swing completely to one side on the stand. It's the best way to set up that gen, CRF.
Also plenty of sag.
Naanak
9/14/2017 1:57pm
Belg wrote:
Strange nobody asked a video of the TS riding , and perhaps the headshake .
Strange nobody asked a video of the TS riding , and perhaps the headshake .
I'm going to try and get some video or at least a picture this weekend. I didn't have anything from the last 2 years that showed my form.
colintrax
Fantasy
2363rd
9/14/2017 3:34pm
mxwrench66 wrote:
look at photos of roczen. Also riding with your toes in on the balls of your feet will automatically drive your knees into the side of...
look at photos of roczen. Also riding with your toes in on the balls of your feet will automatically drive your knees into the side of your bike. When you squat properly your knees stay over your feet, your butt drops low and back, and your head goes forward over the bars. This keeps the weight even over the bike while maintaining control.
So what about someone like me? I have a short torso and long femurs. I can't do a squat without leaning my knees forward. Am I just sol or is there something I can do to help this?

The Shop

Naanak
9/14/2017 4:12pm
mxwrench66 wrote:
look at photos of roczen. Also riding with your toes in on the balls of your feet will automatically drive your knees into the side of...
look at photos of roczen. Also riding with your toes in on the balls of your feet will automatically drive your knees into the side of your bike. When you squat properly your knees stay over your feet, your butt drops low and back, and your head goes forward over the bars. This keeps the weight even over the bike while maintaining control.
colintrax wrote:
So what about someone like me? I have a short torso and long femurs. I can't do a squat without leaning my knees forward. Am I...
So what about someone like me? I have a short torso and long femurs. I can't do a squat without leaning my knees forward. Am I just sol or is there something I can do to help this?
That's similar to me. The cramped Honda doesn't help.
Mit12
9/14/2017 5:24pm
Try adding some compression damping, could be falling down in the stroke under braking. .
zziptie
9/14/2017 5:31pm
Post a picture of the side profile of your forks and handlebars, pretty closeup.
hillbilly
9/14/2017 6:02pm
Fork rebound settings can cause headshake.

Note where your adjusters are set then open or speed up the rebound, myself,I'd open them all the way and hit the section that j just gave me the headshake and see if it changed.

Rear sag settings can cause it also. Not enuff sag makes the steering angle steeper.

But my findings thru the yrs is if the rebound clickers are screwed in on the fork slowing return it made for scarry ride.
Naanak
9/14/2017 6:12pm
zziptie wrote:
Post a picture of the side profile of your forks and handlebars, pretty closeup.

Let me know if this is close enough.
mark911
9/14/2017 6:32pm
Try going flush with the tubes and try removing the bark busters. The extra weight at the ends of the bars might be magnifying any developing headshake due to the inertial affects. On the other hand, the extra weight might try and attenuate headshake. Put a zip tie on the fork tubes and check for excessive fork dive on the section giving you trouble. Adjust compression accordingly. Make sure the fork rebound is faster than you'd normally run and the rear rebound slower. Stiffer springs front and rear will force the bike to ride more level in general and avoid excess pitching. Suspension is a compromise, it's never going to be the best in every condition. Anyway, something to try.
Naanak
9/14/2017 7:34pm
mark911 wrote:
Try going flush with the tubes and try removing the bark busters. The extra weight at the ends of the bars might be magnifying any developing...
Try going flush with the tubes and try removing the bark busters. The extra weight at the ends of the bars might be magnifying any developing headshake due to the inertial affects. On the other hand, the extra weight might try and attenuate headshake. Put a zip tie on the fork tubes and check for excessive fork dive on the section giving you trouble. Adjust compression accordingly. Make sure the fork rebound is faster than you'd normally run and the rear rebound slower. Stiffer springs front and rear will force the bike to ride more level in general and avoid excess pitching. Suspension is a compromise, it's never going to be the best in every condition. Anyway, something to try.
thanks I'll try that.
tempura
9/14/2017 7:56pm
Flush those forks up. That model already has a slight stink bug stance. What sag are you running?
Naanak
9/14/2017 8:04pm
tempura wrote:
Flush those forks up. That model already has a slight stink bug stance. What sag are you running?
tempura
9/14/2017 8:07pm
You're okay there.
How loose is the front steering?
I've found on this gen Honda, have to set the steering up quite stiff
ra450
9/14/2017 8:29pm
Speed up the fork rebound.
Naanak
9/14/2017 8:42pm
tempura wrote:
You're okay there.
It's not really tight but it doesn't flop around. Only moves if I move the bars.
tempura
9/14/2017 9:46pm
tempura wrote:
You're okay there.
Naanak wrote:
It's not really tight but it doesn't flop around. Only moves if I move the bars.
I went in a lot on my steering damper. I'm about 4 clicks out maximum. It really helped the light twitchy feeling I was getting. Bike still turns really good and feels light, but with a noticeable improvement in stability.
You have to overcome the slight chassis flaws on this bike. Forks down and sag down, and crank the steering damper.
Check how deep your forks are in the stroke when going over the typical chop you're having trouble with. You may need to adjust your rebound or compression.
hillbilly
9/15/2017 4:53pm
Other things can cause headshake.

Fork springs to soft in relation to shock spring.

Like i posted above,rebound being slow is a major cause.

Forks binding from not being parallel meaning the pinch clamp on the axel is not tightened at the correct location on the axel.

Just because the fork spring is stamped or sold as a .48 or whatever doesn't mean it is.

Stopping headshake should be a easy fix.
FIREfish148
9/15/2017 9:35pm Edited Date/Time 9/15/2017 9:43pm
Obviously getting more strength will help, but doing some 50 yard figure 8's and focusing on the fundamentals like not coasting and keeping your elbows up would be my first piece of advice. Learn the power of your bike and don't chop the throttle on and off.

This book is the Bible of fundamentals.

Post a reply to: Form causing headshake?

The Latest