Forks in larger triple clamps

p3fab
Basically my younger brother is putting 09 crf triple clamps on his 06. Then while it’s all apart sends his forks off for rebuilt and set up and when he gets it all back realizes the clamps are 48mm and forks are 47mm. He says he is just going to put a shim around the fork and run it. I’m trying to convince him this can’t be a good idea. Am I off on that?
|
ML512
Fantasy
54th
3/1/2019 10:00am
The measurement you’re speaking of is the lower tubes, not the uppers. Surprisingly, many forks with 1mm changes in lower tubes can still have the same size clamping area on the upper tubes. I’ve seen many teams add a small shim to properly fit the upper clamp but not the lower clamp area.
p3fab
3/1/2019 12:45pm
I’m not sure the actually dimensions but from what he told me is the outters are smaller then the clamps and when he tightened it down he could see a gap like it was ovaled and only putting pressure on 2 places
langhammx
Fantasy
581st
3/1/2019 4:07pm
p3fab wrote:
I’m not sure the actually dimensions but from what he told me is the outters are smaller then the clamps and when he tightened it down...
I’m not sure the actually dimensions but from what he told me is the outters are smaller then the clamps and when he tightened it down he could see a gap like it was ovaled and only putting pressure on 2 places
You can have aluminum shims made to work perfectly. I’ve used them in the past with no issues on my sons race bikes, fitting SHOWA 49mm A-Kit onto his ‘07 RMZ 250/450’s. Not an issue
p3fab
3/1/2019 4:42pm
p3fab wrote:
I’m not sure the actually dimensions but from what he told me is the outters are smaller then the clamps and when he tightened it down...
langhammx wrote:
You can have aluminum shims made to work perfectly. I’ve used them in the past with no issues on my sons race bikes, fitting SHOWA 49mm...
You can have aluminum shims made to work perfectly. I’ve used them in the past with no issues on my sons race bikes, fitting SHOWA 49mm A-Kit onto his ‘07 RMZ 250/450’s. Not an issue
I stand corrected thanks for the info

Post a reply to: Forks in larger triple clamps

The Latest