Forkner's Luck Proves...

jonesaustin
...that every racer should be able to drop their worst race (or even 2 worst races). The bike is a part of the sport but this is an individual (the racer) competition. Things out of their control should not upset the points like this.
|
5/27/2017 1:58pm Edited Date/Time 5/27/2017 3:31pm
Maybe if the AMA provides equal motorcycles for all the riders with the exact same components... The race team has to build a bike to compete without blowing up. Guess this would be the "team sport" aspect of motocross; the rider does a lot of the work, but there's a ton of work going into these bikes as well.
Sodipop
5/27/2017 2:02pm
daemon616 wrote:
Remember when Dean Wilson's bike seized?
No. But I remember when Pourcel's did
VilloFan951
5/27/2017 2:04pm
I remember deans wasn't it on like the last lap in 250s?

The Shop

beamer
5/27/2017 2:11pm
Remember when Eli's front brake screwed up in supercross??
5/27/2017 3:02pm Edited Date/Time 5/27/2017 3:02pm
Anybody have a guess what went wrong with forkners bike? Looked seized up but then he kicked it over before walking away?
RhinoRider
5/27/2017 3:22pm
I dont remember who on the pulpcast said the rev limiter on the 11-10 mods bikes was set at 19,000. You can't float valves forever till they blow.

jonesaustin
5/27/2017 3:24pm
Maybe if the AMA provides equal motorcycles for all the riders with the exact same components... The race team has to build a bike to compete...
Maybe if the AMA provides equal motorcycles for all the riders with the exact same components... The race team has to build a bike to compete without blowing up. Guess this would be the "team sport" aspect of motocross; the rider does a lot of the work, but there's a ton of work going into these bikes as well.
I get what you mean, and you're right - it's a major team effort, but shouldn't individual sports ultimately come down to the athlete? A machine failure, imo, shouldn't ruin points. Maybe if it happens 2 or 3 times, but seems one mulligan would be good for all, including the teams not on the bike.
level
5/27/2017 3:26pm Edited Date/Time 5/27/2017 3:27pm
Didn't dungey lose a championship to bike failure one race a few years back if I remember right?
5/27/2017 3:50pm
Mechanical failures have always been a part of racing. It's up to the rider to conserve their machine so they finish the race. That's why racing has always been about man AND machine.

And there goes another PC machine. BOOM.
bvm111
5/27/2017 3:52pm
Everyone should get a gold star... right?
mxb2
5/27/2017 3:54pm
Shit happens, luck is part of the sport also.
blackdiamond
5/27/2017 3:54pm
Maybe they should give everyone a four stroke participation trophy?
RhinoRider
5/27/2017 3:55pm
Mechanical failures have always been a part of racing. It's up to the rider to conserve their machine so they finish the race. That's why racing...
Mechanical failures have always been a part of racing. It's up to the rider to conserve their machine so they finish the race. That's why racing has always been about man AND machine.

And there goes another PC machine. BOOM.
Savatgys running Hooters Bio Crisco 10/40

Smelled like french fries till it started burning.
Johnny Depp
5/27/2017 4:31pm Edited Date/Time 5/27/2017 4:33pm
So now that all the PC bikes go Pop and Tomac has a repeat brake problem I like the idea a little less. Why give a Mulligan to a team that is going to abuse the limits and encourage running engines till they spew shit? And they should get a pass for that? No thanks.
I have been an advocate for dropping a race to tighten the series, but there is always some unintended consequence.
jonesaustin
5/27/2017 4:31pm
bvm111 wrote:
Everyone should get a gold star... right?
No, that has zero to do with the idea and no offense but it's a ridiculous correlation. The idea is sound. Now look at Tomac.
5/27/2017 4:57pm
I think today might prove that Tomacs brake issue at Dallas wasn't a fluke. Maybe if he got better starts the brake issues wouldn't be rider induced.

Sometimes you make your own luck.
mxjon454
5/27/2017 5:06pm
...that every racer should be able to drop their worst race (or even 2 worst races). The bike is a part of the sport but this...
...that every racer should be able to drop their worst race (or even 2 worst races). The bike is a part of the sport but this is an individual (the racer) competition. Things out of their control should not upset the points like this.
What are you smokin? Lol the bike and rider is part of the competition. With your theory everyone should be racing stock bikes so everything is fair. Riders sign a contract with a team and are given the best bike that the team can provide. Sometimes bikes break, just like we saw with JMart at hangtown. PC will figure out what happened and it probably wont happen again. They said it was a new part that they were using that most likely cause the DNFs today.
mxjon454
5/27/2017 5:07pm
I remember deans wasn't it on like the last lap in 250s?
I think wilsons seized on the last lap pf the 2nd moto at glen helen when he was running 4th in 2014.
Johnny Depp
5/27/2017 5:38pm
...that every racer should be able to drop their worst race (or even 2 worst races). The bike is a part of the sport but this...
mxjon454 wrote:
What are you smokin? Lol the bike and rider is part of the competition. With your theory everyone should be racing stock bikes so everything is...
What are you smokin? Lol the bike and rider is part of the competition. With your theory everyone should be racing stock bikes so everything is fair. Riders sign a contract with a team and are given the best bike that the team can provide. Sometimes bikes break, just like we saw with JMart at hangtown. PC will figure out what happened and it probably wont happen again. They said it was a new part that they were using that most likely cause the DNFs today.
They said it was a new part that they were using that most likely cause the DNFs today.

Of course that's what they are gonna say. Lot's of top teams try out new parts on all of their bikes on the same day in major races (sarcasm alert).

What would the truth sound like?

* Maybe we shouldn't have made the piston wafer thin like a Frisbee?
* I think we need to limit the ECU to 18500 RPM from now on?
* Probably best we keep the compression under 15/1?
* We might need to make our valve stems bigger than toothpicks?
5/27/2017 6:09pm
I agree with this, I've been saying this for years! I believe two motos should be allowed to be dropped.
MR. X
5/27/2017 6:24pm
Drop your worst race ? Take no points? How would that work exactly?
5/27/2017 6:37pm Edited Date/Time 5/27/2017 6:38pm
I agree with this, I've been saying this for years! I believe two motos should be allowed to be dropped.
So....consider this scenario. Entirely hypothetical, but still

Rider A . 12 motos finishes first (300 points) . 12 motos finishes second (264 points) Total points 564. Drop worst 2 finishes (-44 points) . Final total points 520 for best 22 motos.

Rider B . 12 motos finishes first (300 points) . 10 motos finshes second (220 points) Two motos crashes out and DNFs
Total points 520. Final point total after deducting 0 points for crashing out of two motos......520

So we have 2 guys tied for the championship after dropping a couple of motos but one guy actually did what he was supposed to do and finished all of his races (it's an individual sport, right). But because we think the other guy "identified" as a moto finisher and we don't think its fair that he crashed out, we're gonna let his failure slide and award him the same total points?

You hold a series so that the rider with the most cumulative points at the end of the series wins. It works every time.
Whistling
RangerLee
5/27/2017 6:51pm
Bikes breaking have been a part of MX since its inception, just something you deal with. Fortunately as technology has improved the bike breaks have been less than you would see in the 70's.
burn1986
Fantasy
3303rd
5/27/2017 6:53pm
No, that has zero to do with the idea and no offense but it's a ridiculous correlation. The idea is sound. Now look at Tomac.
You know that was a joke, right?
jonesaustin
5/28/2017 6:25am Edited Date/Time 5/28/2017 6:26am
So....consider this scenario. Entirely hypothetical, but still [u]Rider A[/u] . 12 motos finishes first (300 points) . 12 motos finishes second (264 points) Total points 564...
So....consider this scenario. Entirely hypothetical, but still

Rider A . 12 motos finishes first (300 points) . 12 motos finishes second (264 points) Total points 564. Drop worst 2 finishes (-44 points) . Final total points 520 for best 22 motos.

Rider B . 12 motos finishes first (300 points) . 10 motos finshes second (220 points) Two motos crashes out and DNFs
Total points 520. Final point total after deducting 0 points for crashing out of two motos......520

So we have 2 guys tied for the championship after dropping a couple of motos but one guy actually did what he was supposed to do and finished all of his races (it's an individual sport, right). But because we think the other guy "identified" as a moto finisher and we don't think its fair that he crashed out, we're gonna let his failure slide and award him the same total points?

You hold a series so that the rider with the most cumulative points at the end of the series wins. It works every time.
Whistling
Yeah that's a valid point, I certainly don't want to handicap someone. Maybe it's impossible, or maybe the riders could vote on this at the start of each season - if unanimous, and only then, would the rule take place. Going into a new season, no one knows future outcomes, so a unanimous vote makes sense as an insurance policy, in which case, at the end of the season, every rider's worst 1-2 races are removed from the scoring.
RhinoRider
5/28/2017 1:14pm
They used the same excuse they used a few years ago when they had a string of failures.

Post a reply to: Forkner's Luck Proves...

The Latest