Forkner and penalty

1/6/2020 7:08am
I honestly feel bad for the kid he always get knocked out or crashes pretty hard seems like he could have some severe cte later in life
tprice07
1/6/2020 7:24am
What was more dangerous. Forkner cutting corners...or Barcia going off track then going straight for AC pinned?
Ray_MXS
1/6/2020 8:13am Edited Date/Time 1/6/2020 8:22am
tprice07 wrote:
What was more dangerous. Forkner cutting corners...or Barcia going off track then going straight for AC pinned?
It was like the old BamBam almost made a return. Backed it out last second thankfully though Laughing .

But going backwards across the track and then cutting in to the next lane without even looking is so much more dangerous it's not even a question. Barcia was actually going the correct way ON the track.
mxpro252
1/6/2020 8:43am
tprice07 wrote:
oh boy

The Shop

1/6/2020 9:03am
The penalty was the right move. Own up to your mistake kid.

I like most riders....but something about this kid just rubs me the wrong way.
seth505
Fantasy
1271st
1/6/2020 9:10am
tprice07 wrote:
Forkner cutting the corner/traversing across the entire lane to do it.
Gworm
1/6/2020 9:31am
I agree with the penalty given, I think 2 spots is fine. There are two things that annoyed me about the situation: 1.) He mentioned on...
I agree with the penalty given, I think 2 spots is fine. There are two things that annoyed me about the situation:
1.) He mentioned on the podium that the bike was facing towards the other lane, so he felt like that was the safest way to get going again. Oddly enough, he never mentioned that he was the person who made the bike face that way! The bike was facing straight into the turn that he didn’t go through before he swung it around.

2.) He also mentioned that the team has told him to do the safest option if he’s in a situation like he was, but in what world is not looking while pushing your bike across an entire rhythm lane the safest thing to do?

C’mon man..
VRR7 wrote:
Agree ^^ - All he need to do was continue on the course as laid out. To think he can just turn and cut the track...
Agree ^^ - All he need to do was continue on the course as laid out. To think he can just turn and cut the track ? WTF?

You ever try to remount from a position like that?

Not making excuses,,, I am a fan, but I agree with the punishment he got, simply to discourage future events. The biggest factor I see, is he ended up on the low side of the bike after coming off the tuffblock. Pretty tough to remount from the low side. That's why he ended up sideways on an active racetrack, and I believe trying to get on and going the proper direction would have ended worse.

I'm sure he knew how much time he had before the pack showed up (not much), and the quickest, safest way to get out of the way was pushing across the track. It's not like its very far, as narrow as the tracks are.Could it have been done better? Yep. Can we all say that under the circumstances we would have done it perfectly?

I didn't agree with the way he got back on the track, though.

You all tell me how superior your judgement would have been in the heat of battle.

The interview was absolutely cringeworthy, but I wouldn't have done any better being in that spot.

He made a mistake, got penalized, its over.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
846th
1/6/2020 10:41am
I agree with the penalty given, I think 2 spots is fine. There are two things that annoyed me about the situation: 1.) He mentioned on...
I agree with the penalty given, I think 2 spots is fine. There are two things that annoyed me about the situation:
1.) He mentioned on the podium that the bike was facing towards the other lane, so he felt like that was the safest way to get going again. Oddly enough, he never mentioned that he was the person who made the bike face that way! The bike was facing straight into the turn that he didn’t go through before he swung it around.

2.) He also mentioned that the team has told him to do the safest option if he’s in a situation like he was, but in what world is not looking while pushing your bike across an entire rhythm lane the safest thing to do?

C’mon man..
VRR7 wrote:
Agree ^^ - All he need to do was continue on the course as laid out. To think he can just turn and cut the track...
Agree ^^ - All he need to do was continue on the course as laid out. To think he can just turn and cut the track ? WTF?

Gworm wrote:
You ever try to remount from a position like that? Not making excuses,,, I am a fan, but I agree with the punishment he got, simply...

Not making excuses,,, I am a fan, but I agree with the punishment he got, simply to discourage future events. The biggest factor I see, is he ended up on the low side of the bike after coming off the tuffblock. Pretty tough to remount from the low side. That's why he ended up sideways on an active racetrack, and I believe trying to get on and going the proper direction would have ended worse.

I'm sure he knew how much time he had before the pack showed up (not much), and the quickest, safest way to get out of the way was pushing across the track. It's not like its very far, as narrow as the tracks are.Could it have been done better? Yep. Can we all say that under the circumstances we would have done it perfectly?

You all tell me how superior your judgement would have been in the heat of battle.

The interview was absolutely cringeworthy, but I wouldn't have done any better being in that spot.

Sure he got on from the low side of the bike, but how many guys, both pro and amateur, have instead walked the bike to the top of the next obstacle and then jumped on the bike? I've done it and I'm just a local 25+ Novice.
TDeath21
1/6/2020 11:46am

C’mon man..
VRR7 wrote:

Gworm wrote:
You ever try to remount from a position like that? Not making excuses,,, I am a fan, but I agree with the punishment he got, simply...

“You ever try to remount from a position like that?”

Yep sure have. It’s super easy. You step off the bike, pull the clutch in, and walk the bike backwards for about three feet. Then you hop back on and go.

I’m nowhere near the caliber of rider anyone on the track last night was. I’m sure many people reading this right this instant have been in a similar spot and have done exactly what I just described.

It’s pretty easy. But he chose to not look at oncoming traffic at all and just cut the entire turn and then didn’t look at all again after re-entering. A two spot penalty he should be happy with. He could have easily gotten himself and another rider hurt and his championship aspirations would be done.
kb228
1/6/2020 12:13pm
If he cut five seconds worth of track, he shouldn't be docked [i]just[/i] five seconds. Didnt he get right back on the track as Ferrandis was...
If he cut five seconds worth of track, he shouldn't be docked just five seconds. Didnt he get right back on the track as Ferrandis was going by? Penalties are to discourage people from doing this shit. If the penalty matches the amount of time gained from cutting the track, you'll have others doing shit like this and putting riders at risk, because why not?

A five second advantage should get a ten second penalty.
Racer111 wrote:
Sure! Let’s spin the bike around a second time in a rhythm lane with 18 dudes coming through. What could possibly go wrong? This isn’t much...
Sure! Let’s spin the bike around a second time in a rhythm lane with 18 dudes coming through. What could possibly go wrong?

This isn’t much different than last year when Cooper Webb cut the track last year to pass Tomac.
Its a lot different. Im a kawi guy 100% but i knew the second he went between the lanes he should be docked.
KurtJ99
Fantasy
682nd
1/6/2020 1:23pm
On a narrow supercross track, spinning a 180 (270?) to point back to the track seems like a risky thing to do. Yes, several of us think we could do better - but remember this is a narrow supercross track. I did a track walk at A1 a couple of years ago and those lanes feel much more narrow than they seem on TV.

He did the safe thing by going off the track - he was at the end of a high speed rhythm lane so my first thought would be to get out of the racing line and to safety - both for me and the next guy (Cooper / Ferrandis) in the air trying to avoid Forkner.

When AC went off track at Thunder Valley and jumped in front of Cooper temporarily it was ignored. So should Forkner entering in front of Ferrandis temporarily.

I'm feeling more comfortable with the minimum (one position) rather than the blatant (two position) penalty. Hope it doesn't matter at championship end.

early
Fantasy
2231st
1/6/2020 1:43pm
KurtJ99 wrote:
On a narrow supercross track, spinning a 180 (270?) to point back to the track seems like a risky thing to do. Yes, several of us...
On a narrow supercross track, spinning a 180 (270?) to point back to the track seems like a risky thing to do. Yes, several of us think we could do better - but remember this is a narrow supercross track. I did a track walk at A1 a couple of years ago and those lanes feel much more narrow than they seem on TV.

He did the safe thing by going off the track - he was at the end of a high speed rhythm lane so my first thought would be to get out of the racing line and to safety - both for me and the next guy (Cooper / Ferrandis) in the air trying to avoid Forkner.

When AC went off track at Thunder Valley and jumped in front of Cooper temporarily it was ignored. So should Forkner entering in front of Ferrandis temporarily.

I'm feeling more comfortable with the minimum (one position) rather than the blatant (two position) penalty. Hope it doesn't matter at championship end.

Take a look at it again. He ran into the tough block, got passed by Cooper, spun it 90 degrees to cross the entire width of the track, got passed by Ferrandis, went off the track to cut the corner and pulled on in front of Ferrandis. So he cut the track and gained a position. He could have easily turned right as he was riding across the track and took the inside line of the corner.
https://twitter.com/MotorsportsNBC/status/1213689966242467841?s=20
ctbale
1/7/2020 10:58am Edited Date/Time 1/7/2020 11:02am
tprice07 wrote:
JB51 going at AC9 ... like a junk yard dog at the dog park! Hahaha. Forkner spun the bike around cuz the bike was pointed uphill. But then said fuckit, gunna just re-enter here. Bad decision, whatever. I disagree with most of the penalties the AMA hands down but this one was at least reasonable.
1/7/2020 11:08am
tprice07 wrote:
Forkner
kkawboy14
1/7/2020 12:04pm
KurtJ99 wrote:
On a narrow supercross track, spinning a 180 (270?) to point back to the track seems like a risky thing to do. Yes, several of us...

early wrote:
Take a look at it again. He ran into the tough block, got passed by Cooper, spun it 90 degrees to cross the entire width of...
Take a look at it again. He ran into the tough block, got passed by Cooper, spun it 90 degrees to cross the entire width of the track, got passed by Ferrandis, went off the track to cut the corner and pulled on in front of Ferrandis. So he cut the track and gained a position. He could have easily turned right as he was riding across the track and took the inside line of the corner.
https://twitter.com/MotorsportsNBC/status/1213689966242467841?s=20
Actually he slowed down to make sure Ferrandis had the advantage
early
Fantasy
2231st
1/7/2020 12:45pm
kkawboy14 wrote:
Actually he slowed down to make sure Ferrandis had the advantage
Actually he didn't. Please click the link and watch the video a couple times to really see what happened. This is the best screenshot I could get but the video shows Ferrandis passing Forkner right after he gets back on the track after the course cutting.

oldnwise
1/7/2020 12:56pm
Watching Forkber in the press conference after the race proves what a weasel he really is. If he doesn’t win the championship he will have a hard time finding a ride
Bramlett321
1/7/2020 1:35pm
oldnwise wrote:
Watching Forkber in the press conference after the race proves what a weasel he really is. If he doesn’t win the championship he will have a...
Watching Forkber in the press conference after the race proves what a weasel he really is. If he doesn’t win the championship he will have a hard time finding a ride
That shit is absurd!! The guy admitted to doing the wrong thing and making a mistake. Should he just retire now
FWYT
1/7/2020 1:38pm
It's 2020 . . . the track is optional.
pops
1/7/2020 3:39pm
oldnwise wrote:
Watching Forkber in the press conference after the race proves what a weasel he really is. If he doesn’t win the championship he will have a...
More like oldnstupid
BobbyM
1/8/2020 1:52pm
SEEMEFIRST wrote:
For what it's worth, and I will take all slams, but in sailboat racing, that has been happening for hundreds of years, a "protest" can be...
For what it's worth, and I will take all slams, but in sailboat racing, that has been happening for hundreds of years, a "protest" can be filed. It's actually similar to F1's race control except it it includes the racers in the moment.

If it's a big enough deal, have a trial. Talk to all involved and make a decision.

If the final points are important, why not?
Sailboat racing? Get the fuck out... No really get the fuck out.
Gworm
1/8/2020 2:54pm
SEEMEFIRST wrote:
For what it's worth, and I will take all slams, but in sailboat racing, that has been happening for hundreds of years, a "protest" can be...
For what it's worth, and I will take all slams, but in sailboat racing, that has been happening for hundreds of years, a "protest" can be filed. It's actually similar to F1's race control except it it includes the racers in the moment.

If it's a big enough deal, have a trial. Talk to all involved and make a decision.

If the final points are important, why not?
BobbyM wrote:
Sailboat racing? Get the fuck out... No really get the fuck out.
I would have said the same thing a year ago, but I helped a coworker crew a sailboat for a timed race, not even with a group of boats. It was pretty windy that day, and that’s the busiest I’ve ever been at 12 knots.
1/8/2020 3:35pm
Maybe Forkner needs to wear the "Sex...breakfast of Champions" butt patch this week.

Oh...that's right, it didn't work out so good the last time.
mac3-d
1/8/2020 3:58pm
The lap before he gets too close for comfort to the tuff blocks on that side after lapping a Husky rider. A wake up call he ignored ?
Moto Norcal
1/8/2020 4:04pm
Wow, Forkner came off like a punk at A1. What is this guy's deal, anyhow? He complains about Cooper's pass, throws the lead in the main, cheats by blatantly cutting the track, and then tries to defend it.
hamncheeze
1/8/2020 4:27pm
Wow, Forkner came off like a punk at A1. What is this guy's deal, anyhow? He complains about Cooper's pass, throws the lead in the main...
Wow, Forkner came off like a punk at A1. What is this guy's deal, anyhow? He complains about Cooper's pass, throws the lead in the main, cheats by blatantly cutting the track, and then tries to defend it.
Super talented amateur prodigy who shows incredible speed as a pro but has yet to put all the pieces together. He's got an arrogant streak, a bit like Webb but unlike Webb he has not backed it up to a title in 3.5 years.

I did not see much difference in Forkner at A1 2020 from Nashville 2019. Big wad in the whoops, a lot of drama. Only problem is this year he's up against Ferrandis and J Coop has closed up on him speed wise a lot from 2019. This weekend will go 2 ways: Either he comes out and dominates, or he has a big one. St Louis, AF from Missouri, hometown race. Big support, big pressure.
peltier626
1/8/2020 4:28pm
Wow, Forkner came off like a punk at A1. What is this guy's deal, anyhow? He complains about Cooper's pass, throws the lead in the main...
This ^ Forkner's a brat and has already proved that. Maybe he matures as he becomes a man one day. Until then
I'm sure he'll provide some extra entertainment for us fans.
ledger
1/8/2020 9:54pm
I think Forkner's more focused on his other ride...the one with the ring on the finger. I'm not bashing on the kid, it just seems like he hasn't matured at all since he went Pro.
1/8/2020 10:51pm Edited Date/Time 1/8/2020 11:31pm

C’mon man..
VRR7 wrote:

Gworm wrote:

I think all of us have remounted a bike lowsided on an obstacle. Yes, it's clumsy. But never once would it even occur to me to dump the clutch, flip it backwards, and ride across the track against traffic toward an opposite lane.

However, that does seem like something that would come naturally to somebody who spends a lot of time alone or with just a few others at a private facility.

Post a reply to: Forkner and penalty

The Latest