Fork Lugs

Hando
Edited Date/Time 2/28/2012 8:10pm
A friend got an 04 CR250 2-stroke as a project bike and we've run into a bit of a problem

The holes for the fork guard bolts in the fork lugs, one of them is stripped. If there is one thing that pisses him off, it's stripped threads.

I looked on Service Honda's website and it appears that you cannot just buy the lugs, you need to buy the whole tubes so we've been browsing eBay for a set of forks.

Is it possible to get a set of fork lugs anywhere??

He's trying to make this bike as 'factory' as possible and doesn't want it to be jerry-rigged Sad
|
Xeno
2/16/2012 9:41pm
Those strip all the time. Use a Heli-coil insert to replace the thread. Nobody will ever know once the fork protector is installed.
peelout
2/16/2012 9:46pm Edited Date/Time 2/16/2012 9:48pm
i thought this said F*k Slugs

i'm goin whaling tonight, so thought it might be a good lead, Bro.

nothing further to add. good luck to your buddy
easton
2/16/2012 9:48pm
Xeno wrote:
Those strip all the time. Use a Heli-coil insert to replace the thread. Nobody will ever know once the fork protector is installed.
Xeno is correct. I myself would fill it a drill it, followed by a bottom tap but that's just me>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Hando
2/16/2012 9:55pm
Xeno wrote:
Good idea, i hadn't thought of that. He was a bit fired up about it and was like "Fuck this im either selling it and getting another bike or replacing everything!"

the fucker who had it before him put in non-allen head bolts and the threads are all buggered up.

The Shop

TJ 755
2/16/2012 10:09pm
heli-coil makes a really trick little kit for 6mm. tap, insertion tool and everything. sell the bike for that? Ha! not jerry rigged. Bigger steel threads=stronger
Hando
2/16/2012 10:25pm
TJ 755 wrote:
heli-coil makes a really trick little kit for 6mm. tap, insertion tool and everything. sell the bike for that? Ha! not jerry rigged. Bigger steel threads=stronger
He also mentioned the threaded holes on the frame where the sub frame connects are a bit screwed up as well.

Heli-coil-able ?? The reason I ask is that the insertion hole is deeper than the bolts on the fork lugs.

Also, one of the fork legs..the wear-rings are gone and the fork has started to chew up the outer fork leg.

If he were to purchase a fork tube, would there be any problems with the internals? For some reason I keep thinking the internals have to be mated to the fork tubes when they break in..can anyone shed some light on this?
leeroy
2/16/2012 10:36pm
use a time sert !
mx317
2/17/2012 3:57am
Be careful to get the right length bolts there. I have seen a longer bolt thread in and dent the fork tube locking the spring in place. There is not much clearance between the spring and forktube.
pete24
2/17/2012 5:19am
no room for a time sert in the fork lug but i heli coil them all the time, you can heli coil anything on that bike that doenst have that litlle metal insert with the 14mm head behind it that honda likes to use, but those ate super durable and usaully wreck the bolt and they are fine , i think those are only on seat bolts and bottom subframe, just run a tap through them
mxtech1
2/17/2012 5:24am
TJ 755 wrote:
Hando wrote:
He also mentioned the threaded holes on the frame where the sub frame connects are a bit screwed up as well. Heli-coil-able ?? The reason I...
He also mentioned the threaded holes on the frame where the sub frame connects are a bit screwed up as well.

Heli-coil-able ?? The reason I ask is that the insertion hole is deeper than the bolts on the fork lugs.

Also, one of the fork legs..the wear-rings are gone and the fork has started to chew up the outer fork leg.

If he were to purchase a fork tube, would there be any problems with the internals? For some reason I keep thinking the internals have to be mated to the fork tubes when they break in..can anyone shed some light on this?
No, fork components are all common parts that can be swapped. I would however replace all the bushings and seals because those do wear/mate to the surface they ride on. Change the part and you are changing the surface which may not allow for a proper seal on a used bushing or seal.
Hando
2/17/2012 6:05am
TJ 755 wrote:
Hando wrote:
He also mentioned the threaded holes on the frame where the sub frame connects are a bit screwed up as well. Heli-coil-able ?? The reason I...

mxtech1 wrote:
No, fork components are all common parts that can be swapped. I would however replace all the bushings and seals because those do wear/mate to the...
No, fork components are all common parts that can be swapped. I would however replace all the bushings and seals because those do wear/mate to the surface they ride on. Change the part and you are changing the surface which may not allow for a proper seal on a used bushing or seal.
thankas!
gsxr6
2/17/2012 7:31am
get on ebay. get a whole set of 06 and up crf250f forks they bolt on, and they are a big improvement. the axle is 2mm back on the 06 up four stroke forks. they are lighter and a tad shorter as well. Did this on my 02, better than the originals w/gold valves and springs. Thank me later
Cygnus
2/17/2012 7:41am
peelout wrote:
i thought this said F*k Slugs i'm goin whaling tonight, so thought it might be a good lead, Bro. nothing further to add. good luck to...

You leave Meg a home alone? Damn I should have gone by and got me some of that.
88sdad
2/17/2012 8:01am
peelout wrote:
i thought this said F*k Slugs i'm goin whaling tonight, so thought it might be a good lead, Bro. nothing further to add. good luck to...

Cygnus wrote:
You leave Meg a home alone? Damn I should have gone by and got me some of that.
Tommy, Meg is never home alone, give her a call.

my name is megan but you can call me meg natural 36c breast weight 135lb and hight 5'51/4 I am the adorable woman you have always fantasized about doing nasty things too but no more I am here ready for anything you have to give like role playing and the fun don't stop there so come see me and you will know about ever little fun things I like to do for you every need as long as I can take my time with you because I am not in a RUSH I'm very open-minded so giveme a call and STOP searching.

call me

http://classifieds.myredbook.com/classified.php?adid=307923
stillwelding
2/17/2012 9:14am
leeroy wrote:
use a time sert !
"Timesert" is the only way to go. "Helicoils" are for amateurs. Check with most Factory guys like Ozzy and Goose, they only would use "Timeserts". Google it.
jtiger12
2/17/2012 9:53am
those things look AWESOME-O. gotta order a kit for my 07. Seems like every bolt is stripping on it these days.

I would tend to think the timesert would be heavy duty enough to repair the subframe to frame mounting point hando, that is of course if running a tap through there doesn't get em clean enough.
Hando
2/17/2012 10:28am Edited Date/Time 2/17/2012 10:29am
gsxr6 wrote:
get on ebay. get a whole set of 06 and up crf250f forks they bolt on, and they are a big improvement. the axle is 2mm...
get on ebay. get a whole set of 06 and up crf250f forks they bolt on, and they are a big improvement. the axle is 2mm back on the 06 up four stroke forks. they are lighter and a tad shorter as well. Did this on my 02, better than the originals w/gold valves and springs. Thank me later
im thinking of buying a set of CRF250/450 forks

maybe...

are time serts too big for the fork guard lugnuts?
Factor E
2/27/2012 10:19am
There is room for time serts. Please take the time to do this job right or you will have problems later. Heli coils are band aids.
captmoto
2/28/2012 10:37am
leeroy wrote:
use a time sert !
"Timesert" is the only way to go. "Helicoils" are for amateurs. Check with most Factory guys like Ozzy and Goose, they only would use "Timeserts". Google...
"Timesert" is the only way to go. "Helicoils" are for amateurs. Check with most Factory guys like Ozzy and Goose, they only would use "Timeserts". Google it.
Man, I would like to think that Goose and Ozzy would NEVER need to use a timesert. Helicoils are fine. It's a small unstressed thread. I might use timesert or gardsert for the sub frame though.
Hando
2/28/2012 8:10pm
thanks guys, she'll be heli-coiled.

Post a reply to: Fork Lugs

The Latest