Ford Transit Connect?

jasonward73
Edited Date/Time 1/26/2012 9:58pm
Anyone know if you can fit a MX bike in one of these? If so, is there enough head room for it to roll right in? It looks like a great little MX hauler that you can easily fit in a garage and get good gas mileage.
|
RuFfRyDaH
2/3/2010 8:14am
i think only if you pull the forks down with straps...
Larry
2/3/2010 8:28am
The cargo bay is exactly 6 ft. If you can roll the front wheel between the seats then it may fit.
They are a little pricey, you can buy a full size van for about 3-4000. more and haul at least 2 bikes and all your gear.
Tiki
Fantasy
1670th
2/3/2010 9:32am
Anyone know if you can fit a MX bike in one of these? If so, is there enough head room for it to roll right in...
Anyone know if you can fit a MX bike in one of these? If so, is there enough head room for it to roll right in? It looks like a great little MX hauler that you can easily fit in a garage and get good gas mileage.
Thought the same thing when I saw the Connect a few months ago. There are a few that are styled out. Worth dropping the front end. It gets like 30 mpg. That means a lot if you are racing on a regular basis and traveling across the states. You could save enough to stay in hotels.

I figured you would have to put a wheel chock in between the two chairs. Anything is possible.
TeamGreen
2/3/2010 11:20am
Anyone know if you can fit a MX bike in one of these? If so, is there enough head room for it to roll right in...
Answer: No.

Take a look at the bigger variant(Europe) that the Geniuses at Ford have decided NOT to bring over here, yet.

For a few bucks more you can get a base SWB (Diesel) Sprinter that will retain it's value.

I'm jus' sayin'...

The Shop

kardy
2/3/2010 11:36am
Isn't a base Sprinter's MSRP roughly $15K more than the Transit?

jus' askin'...
TeamGreen
2/3/2010 11:39am
kardy wrote:
Isn't a base Sprinter's MSRP roughly $15K more than the Transit?

jus' askin'...
MSRP is one -thing...what you can get one for is another.

Besides, I'm buyin' a clean used Box Van for $3500. The money I'm NOT spending on the truck will buy Several YEARS of Gas.

But, that's jus' me...
kardy
2/3/2010 11:42am
Point being, "a few bucks more" is a bit of a stretch, no matter how you look at it...
motomike894
2/3/2010 11:44am
Those Transit connects are sweet vans, I am a big van guy, have a obsession with them.

Anyway The transit connect is plenty tall enough but from the back seats to the back door is only like 6 1/2 feet so you could fit 1 bike in there at a little angle, but fitting 2 bikes gear gas, etc. aint going to happen.

Sprinters are the shit, but they are expensive, if you want a good van I would get a Ford cargo van I have had a few vans Chevy and Ford both really good, I like the newer Chevys better but if on a budget Fords were the same for a long time my buddy has a 2004 with 200,000 on it and that thing is a trooper, hasnt been touched yet, motor tranny wise, and he beats it.
TeamGreen
2/3/2010 11:53am Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 8:33pm
kardy wrote:
Point being, "a few bucks more" is a bit of a stretch, no matter how you look at it...
I've bought Sprinters in the low-mid-30s. A Transit worth owning is gonna be $25K and it's going to depreciate like a Focus. It ALL add's up (Or, in this case, DOESN'T add up).

I've never been one to get the absolute cheapest thing when I know it won't deliver.

After financing...it'll cost "A few bucks more" a month (Sprinter) and deliver a LOT more in it's capabilities.

Btw, I'm now lookin' at a Box-Van-type vehicle based on the up-coming GMC 4.5 Diesel in a "Sierra" Truck body.

I'm jus' sayin'...
cpracing519
2/3/2010 12:07pm
we have a trasit(cargo, front seats only) at my shop today that the boss is looking to buy for a delivery van. Looks cool, but after looking close at it, looks a bit small for a bike hauler. Tall enough, but it would be real tight with a bike, gear, tools, coolers,etc.. Good idea, Ford just needs to make it an extended van with a v6! tag on it says 22 city and 25 highway. Cargo van @ $21,800! A little too pricy for me. I would say its worth $15000 or less.
TeamGreen
2/3/2010 12:14pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 8:33pm
we have a trasit(cargo, front seats only) at my shop today that the boss is looking to buy for a delivery van. Looks cool, but after...
we have a trasit(cargo, front seats only) at my shop today that the boss is looking to buy for a delivery van. Looks cool, but after looking close at it, looks a bit small for a bike hauler. Tall enough, but it would be real tight with a bike, gear, tools, coolers,etc.. Good idea, Ford just needs to make it an extended van with a v6! tag on it says 22 city and 25 highway. Cargo van @ $21,800! A little too pricy for me. I would say its worth $15000 or less.
They will haul a bike w/ the Front-wheel (& fender if needed) removed. Still, it's a PAIN in the ASS.

Even discussed this point with the Ford Transit Product Mgr at SEMA...they have a version taht would work; but, they jus' don't seem to get it.

Been there, seen that.
jasonward73
2/3/2010 12:50pm
Thanks for all the suggestions. The PRIMARY reason I was considering it was because it would easily fit in my garage. A full size van would go wall to garage door.
DrSweden
2/3/2010 3:49pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 8:33pm

Your damn avtar is killing me (her name is Ireesha, she appeared in the movie "Click")...
bonzi1608
3/16/2018 11:02pm
This is my 2018 transit connect lwb. You do need to pull the front end down with straps. You need to have fork airbleaders so you can release the pressure otherwise you risk blowing your fork seals

Motoxdoc
3/16/2018 11:18pm
Well I guess that settles THAT! Impressive loading job.
3/17/2018 1:42am
Without straps or bleeding the fork it will only fit if it's a L1H2 or L2H2 I think.
Pirate421
3/17/2018 6:07am
Those metrics vans are sweet. I’d have one if I didn’t need a truck and seating for 4
ob
3/17/2018 9:31am
I've seen lots of bikes in transit connects, you can do it NP. The little Mercedes is way cooler and a much better size. IMHO
Brent
3/17/2018 11:20am Edited Date/Time 3/17/2018 11:26am
Forget the Transit Express, go for the full size Transit, they are not that much more. Sure, it doesn't come close to fitting into most garages but it is sweet to have all that room inside when you are at the track.

Brought this one home last night, I was SO sick of pitting out of the back of an F-150 in the rain, finally got permission from the wife to pull the trigger. Ford rebates expire on 4-2-18 BTW.

Ford even gave me 1000 additional bucks toward adding cabinets and a partition wall, which is good because it is as big as a friggin warehouse inside!

IceMan446
3/17/2018 11:31am
kardy wrote:
TeamGreen wrote:
I've bought Sprinters in the low-mid-30s. A Transit worth owning is gonna be $25K and it's going to depreciate like a Focus. It ALL add's up...
I've bought Sprinters in the low-mid-30s. A Transit worth owning is gonna be $25K and it's going to depreciate like a Focus. It ALL add's up (Or, in this case, DOESN'T add up).

I've never been one to get the absolute cheapest thing when I know it won't deliver.

After financing...it'll cost "A few bucks more" a month (Sprinter) and deliver a LOT more in it's capabilities.

Btw, I'm now lookin' at a Box-Van-type vehicle based on the up-coming GMC 4.5 Diesel in a "Sierra" Truck body.

I'm jus' sayin'...
Man i know the cost difference on the used ones but damn do they have issues. And are a pain in the ass to work on if they were not taken care of by the previous owners.

Best bet, wait for the new Chevy diesel to come out in their vans. Case closed.
Johnny Depp
3/17/2018 11:53am
Beware of all the diesels out there since Diesel Exhaust Fluid, about '09? as they are time bombs. When the warranty is up (mostly 100k) they are often toast, especially the small displacement ones. They spec crappy oil that is designed for emissions and economy rather than durability. Run high viscosity Esther motorcycle oil in them and change it often and you have a chance. They run such high temperatures now that it has caused lots of problems.
Uncle Tony
3/17/2018 12:00pm
Brent wrote:
Forget the Transit Express, go for the full size Transit, they are not that much more. Sure, it doesn't come close to fitting into most garages...
Forget the Transit Express, go for the full size Transit, they are not that much more. Sure, it doesn't come close to fitting into most garages but it is sweet to have all that room inside when you are at the track.

Brought this one home last night, I was SO sick of pitting out of the back of an F-150 in the rain, finally got permission from the wife to pull the trigger. Ford rebates expire on 4-2-18 BTW.

Ford even gave me 1000 additional bucks toward adding cabinets and a partition wall, which is good because it is as big as a friggin warehouse inside!

This is my set up also, I sleep in my van at the races, it's so nice to wake up in the morning and stand upl

Hated waking up in my E350 and crawling outside to stretch
Madmax31
Fantasy
91st
3/17/2018 3:19pm
Brent wrote:
Forget the Transit Express, go for the full size Transit, they are not that much more. Sure, it doesn't come close to fitting into most garages...

If you don't mind what did you pay, and what is the MPG. Is that min Nissan van tall enough or do you have to pull the forks down on that also?
Brent
3/17/2018 4:26pm Edited Date/Time 3/17/2018 4:26pm
Madmax31 wrote:
If you don't mind what did you pay, and what is the MPG. Is that min Nissan van tall enough or do you have to pull...
If you don't mind what did you pay, and what is the MPG. Is that min Nissan van tall enough or do you have to pull the forks down on that also?
I got a total of $4500 in rebates for the 2018, and since the dealer was itching to get rid if it, I got them down to $31,800 plus tax and license. Ford does have the shorter version for about 3 grand less.

I really wanted the turbo engine, but it was special order and a lot more money.

the coolest thing is, I'm 5'11 and I can stand up inside without touching the roof.

I only drove it home 30 miles last night so I'm not sure on the MPG, but they say its around 17 highway.

Post a reply to: Ford Transit Connect?

The Latest