For those who travel to race.

Meister
Edited Date/Time 5/17/2021 11:55am
Motorhome and trailer (would need street legal pitter probably too)

Vs

Truck and 5er

Typical travel to include myself, wife, 6 year old daughter and our dog. Random trips may include my parents.

I've pretty much made up my mind, but I'm still interested to hear what you prefer.
|
Hoseclamp
Fantasy
617th
5/17/2021 7:18am
Im interested to hear the pros and cons of both too. Weve only ever pulled a 14ft trailer with the truck and tent camped. We just bought a motorhome and plan on pulling the trailer. Me, wife, 3 kids and dog. Some of those toy haulers are pretty nice too though. I might prefer that, but the motorhome fell into my lap and the wife couldnt resist.
Spooner
5/17/2021 7:31am
There just isn't one perfect setup really. There are pro's and con's to both but for me if I'm doing any sort of camper I would probably go with a truck and trailer setup so if I need to run to town then it's much easier. Plus you only have maintenance on the truck rather than maintaining a motorhome and my daily driver (assuming the truck can be your daily). I would also say for me if I'm doing that I would put auto leveling on my 'must have' feature so you don't spend a ton of time setting up every time you get to a race.
Meister
5/17/2021 7:55am
I was and still am sort of torn, but monetarily I feel like the truck and trailer make most sense. Already have insurance on the truck, and insuring a trailer is fa cheaper than anothe motor vehicle. Extra maintenance on a motorhome too. Plus having to have a way to town (thinking a grom). I'm doing this on a budget, so I'm talking early 2000s C class and a 14-16' trailer or a late 2000s big 5er.

The hard part for me is the actual travel. My wife and kid would be much more comfortable traveling in a motorhome with the immediate amenities. Once at the track though, it might feel snug. The 5er would be more comfortable for "living" I feel like.
TheRookie
5/17/2021 8:27am
Well, I just went through this myself. I was going to sell my truck and camper and go with an RV to pull my enclosed. Decided that I needed a new truck either way so I went and got myself a brand new truck. The market sucks right now so you'll be shelling out $60k + either way you decided. Gotta have that diesel for a 5er toy hauler.

But an RV is awesome to travel in, bathroom, beds etc etc all right there. I have Groms so going out was not a big deal if it was nice out. But a lot of the tracks I go to have some hills and rocks, most RVs ride pretty low to the ground. Not a huge deal if you know what you're doing, but I would have needed to be pulled out of High Point last time I was there in an RV for sure.

Having a truck and trailer is a little worse to travel in because, well its a truck. But as long as your have the right setup, your truck will ride well and no one will complain. I love my Toy Hauler and use it to camp normally as well. My advice would be look at a few and see what you really like. Having one with a separate garage would be the one piece I wish I had. Sucks to have to unload everything from your living room to sleep other people. But a separate garage you sacrifice some room in the garage.

The Shop

5/17/2021 8:31am
You can always throw the insurance to storage when not using the motorhome. Can eliminate a lot of the cost.

Nice in the motorhome for everyone to be able to
Move around....
motodad312
5/17/2021 8:32am
Which ever makes the wife happy. I say this in all seriousness. If she's dealing with a 6yr old and a dog while you're out riding your dirt bike and having fun, she better be comfortable and happy. Otherwise, you probably won't be traveling much. Take it from experience. I have a class A. Didn't want one and it sux paying the extra insurance, maintenance, etc but everyone is happy now. I get my time at the track and it's way more enjoyable for everyone!
Meister
5/17/2021 8:52am
TheRookie wrote:
Well, I just went through this myself. I was going to sell my truck and camper and go with an RV to pull my enclosed. Decided...
Well, I just went through this myself. I was going to sell my truck and camper and go with an RV to pull my enclosed. Decided that I needed a new truck either way so I went and got myself a brand new truck. The market sucks right now so you'll be shelling out $60k + either way you decided. Gotta have that diesel for a 5er toy hauler.

But an RV is awesome to travel in, bathroom, beds etc etc all right there. I have Groms so going out was not a big deal if it was nice out. But a lot of the tracks I go to have some hills and rocks, most RVs ride pretty low to the ground. Not a huge deal if you know what you're doing, but I would have needed to be pulled out of High Point last time I was there in an RV for sure.

Having a truck and trailer is a little worse to travel in because, well its a truck. But as long as your have the right setup, your truck will ride well and no one will complain. I love my Toy Hauler and use it to camp normally as well. My advice would be look at a few and see what you really like. Having one with a separate garage would be the one piece I wish I had. Sucks to have to unload everything from your living room to sleep other people. But a separate garage you sacrifice some room in the garage.
When I was young, we had a 31' A class. I was the kid, so I definitely enjoyed it. Slept damn near all the way to Florida a few times lol. A trip home with an injury was much nicer too. I won't have that kind of cost associated with a new truck as im buying an old man's Cummins crew cab for next to nothing. I'm getting it regardless of what decision I make. This is part of the reason I'm leaning heavily toward a 5er.

My wife and kid travel well, but the piss stops kill us. Kid won't sleep unless it's night time in any vehicle.

I'll never own a toy hauler that doesn't have a separate garage.

For the initial"investment", I'll have 6-7k more in a motorhome set up as I don't even have a box trailer currently, or a grom.. I can be well under 20k with the truck and 5th wheel, even in today's market. If I bought a 5er that needed love, I could do it even cheaper.

Sorry, I'm just spitballing with people who share the same interests. I've gone over all this in my head for months and still haven't pulled the trigger, but it's happening in the next couple weeks.
mtndoc_842
Fantasy
297th
5/17/2021 8:55am
motodad312 wrote:
Which ever makes the wife happy. I say this in all seriousness. If she's dealing with a 6yr old and a dog while you're out riding...
Which ever makes the wife happy. I say this in all seriousness. If she's dealing with a 6yr old and a dog while you're out riding your dirt bike and having fun, she better be comfortable and happy. Otherwise, you probably won't be traveling much. Take it from experience. I have a class A. Didn't want one and it sux paying the extra insurance, maintenance, etc but everyone is happy now. I get my time at the track and it's way more enjoyable for everyone!
This man speaks the truth. Whatever it takes to keep the wife happy if you want to keep racing. We run a RV for our racing. In terms or traveling going 10-15 hrs for national races is nothing, kids can watch movies, go to sleep for school on time if we are traveling back late on a Sunday, can go to the bathroom. It is life changing.

Downsides are if races have crappy pits it can be kind of stressful to park a big rig and not being able to unhook and drive around.
Meister
5/17/2021 8:57am Edited Date/Time 5/17/2021 8:58am
Btw, in set on a C class with a bunk so the kid has her own space, not in a table or couch bed. The 5ers I'm considering all have the big bunk above the garage area. I don't like the ones with beds IN the garage area.
spimx
5/17/2021 9:22am
I like a cheep hotel and bring the bikes inside so you don't listen to generators all night.
5/17/2021 9:51am
I currently have an older 21ft toy hauler that I tow with my F-150 daily driver. It is just me, my wife, and my son. When the Covid craziness ends, I plan to buy a smaller toy hauler (more in the 18 ft range) like a Forest River Wolf Pup or similar. I only need to sleep three, and I’d like to cut the weight of my rig. With my current setup (right at 8000lbs loaded for a weekend at the track) it takes my F-150’s normally spectacular 21 mpg down to 7-8 mpg. I personally would never own anything but a daily driver truck with a toy hauler. The toy hauler keeps momma happy at the track, and I don’t have to pay separately to maintain, register, and insure an RV that I’ll only use on the weekends.
Meister
5/17/2021 10:05am
spimx wrote:
I like a cheep hotel and bring the bikes inside so you don't listen to generators all night.
No. My family aren't morning people so just getting up extra early makes it suck for them. Shitting in a 100° porta john gets old too. If I was single and by myself I could survive with just my f150.
Steve125
Fantasy
2779th
5/17/2021 10:12am
I tow a toy hauler with my pickup but want to change to a Sprinter or Transit with a regular 20ft or so camper in tow.
This way I can take the van with the bikes, tools, gear etc to practice, but then tow the regular camper when its an overnight race weekend. No loading and unloading the toy hauler after every race, making sure to grab the needed tools, gear, etc just to go practice with the bike in the truck. Everything is always in the van.
Also, I can keep the camper cleaner with all the bike stuff in the van. Then I can easily hose out the van.
In my opinion, Toy haulers are a compromise. Either you're towing a huge one with a separate garage, or the bikes and all related stuff is in your living area unless you leave the bikes outside overnight. I like my bikes locked up at all times.

Lunch_Box
5/17/2021 10:14am
Truck and trailer is the way to go in my opinion. If for whatever reason you have to run into town or whatever the option is there. Unload the bikes, setup the pit and my kids sleep in the toy hauler section.

J-Mill
5/17/2021 10:53am
We went back and forth as well on what to get. We have 4 kids so the getting there is always the hard part. It was tempting to get a Class-C but we are super glad we went with the 5th wheel. A lot more room once you get to where you’re going. When the kids get out of control we can send them to “their room” out in the garage, haha. This unit has a loft above the garage too. Either way you go, DO IT! Make those memories with your family and seize all of those “teaching moments” that come with moto.

Spooner
5/17/2021 11:03am
Steve125 wrote:
I tow a toy hauler with my pickup but want to change to a Sprinter or Transit with a regular 20ft or so camper in tow...
I tow a toy hauler with my pickup but want to change to a Sprinter or Transit with a regular 20ft or so camper in tow.
This way I can take the van with the bikes, tools, gear etc to practice, but then tow the regular camper when its an overnight race weekend. No loading and unloading the toy hauler after every race, making sure to grab the needed tools, gear, etc just to go practice with the bike in the truck. Everything is always in the van.
Also, I can keep the camper cleaner with all the bike stuff in the van. Then I can easily hose out the van.
In my opinion, Toy haulers are a compromise. Either you're towing a huge one with a separate garage, or the bikes and all related stuff is in your living area unless you leave the bikes outside overnight. I like my bikes locked up at all times.

That's what I'm thinking I may do in the future. I bought an Express a couple months ago and my boys are 4 and 7 and are just kinda getting going with riding. If they really get into it I could see getting a decent size camper and just pull it with the express.
WDSRCR
5/17/2021 11:18am
I have the truck and 5er.

I race enduros so it's good to unhook the truck so my wife can drive to the places for me to pit.

For MX where I'd likely not leave, the Motorhome and trailer would work well. You can always put a dual sport bike in the trailer too for making a quick trip somewhere.
Falcon
Fantasy
798th
5/17/2021 11:37am
I've always leaned toward the truck and toy hauler option. I can have a truck, which I need anyway, and add a trailer, instead of another motorized vehicle that I only drive 5-10 times per year. There's less maintenance and lower costs on a toy hauler.

Now, if I were rich, I'd get a ridiculous super-C with a garage on the back of it + pull an enclosed trailer. The garage is for the power tools, workbench, etc., and the SxS, bikes, and fireworks would go in the enclosed. Did I say fireworks? Heavens to Betsy, those are illegal. I meant to say, "fire extinguishers." Yeah.
5/17/2021 11:55am
I chose a 34ft A class and tow a 20ft trailer. Biggest reason for motorhome over truck and 5er was traveling with 3 kids. I didn’t want them fighting on the backseat, kicking my chair while i was driving. They can also grab a drink, make easy mac and go to the bathroom while im sat at 70 on the freeway.
Motorhomes tend to have bigger fuel tanks also, so you stop half as much. You lose so much time on those fuel stops.
Timo
5/17/2021 12:57pm
Class C with a garage for us, just bought a trailer though since we'll be a family of 4 in the near future. It's totally not safe, but being able to get up and walk around while driving is nice. Kids can use the restroom and you don't have to stop. At first we were very against our son getting up and roaming around while driving. The 3rd week in a cross country trip I caved, I used to ride around in the back of a pickup so that's my excuse. He's only allowed to go to the bathroom, the rear facing dinette bench, or his bunk bed. Probably all equally dangerous, but Keeping him away from the windshield at least.

Post a reply to: For those who travel to race.

The Latest