For those who live in NOR CAL- CHECK. THIS. OUT

Moto331
Edited Date/Time 5/13/2012 4:13pm
Thursday before Hangtown, for the last 10-12 years, We would go out in the afternoon to some Hotels off Highway 50, and guess what would be sitting there? ALL THE TRUCKS AND BIKES AND MECHANICS getting ready for HANGTOWN. yep. They park in Rancho Cordova and I kid you not, they have the bikes out, spot lights on, and and are sitting there working on the bikes. The amount of stories I could tell... ALL the riders motor homes, everything, are there. Riders everywhere.

When I was about 10, we stopped by the Kawi rig and the trucker was just outside and we stopped to talk to him. Offered to help him with his hoses to the truck. We helped the guy out, heeven told me to put something back in the rig and I stepped in there, and there was RC's 250 two stroke (along with several other bikes)

Another time Kevin Whindam was outside the hotel and we walked up and said good luck and he was just the coolest guy ofcourse.

One year we must of friggon sat at the Pro circuit rig (our favorite) for an HOUR talking to one of the mechanics. BS'in with Chad watts who was around. Roger decoster.

Back in 04 or something, we saw Tim ferry, out of the back of his truck, just sitting on the ground working on his bike. Weird to see, because he was just a total privateer at the time.

Sat outside our truck on year for probably 20 min. just watching Mike brown talk to some people. Just so sick.

Id have to say though, best experience I had, was in 2010. NO ONE was around. All the rigs were there ofcourse, but no riders, the rigs were closed, it sucked! (keep in mind we just drove 16 hours straight from the Spokane/Coeur d'Alene area)Then, as we circle all these hotels, I see the Suzuki rig. We drive up, and guess whos there closing the doors- Mike Gosslar (sorry dont know how to spell it) I was so nervous going up to him! haha. we talked for so long. Told him where we were from and he has a place just a couple hours south. We must of sat and BSed for 20 minutes. It was the coolest thing.

Next day, we go in the pits and were waiting in a giant line forDungey, and I shout to Mike to say hi (im about 50- 70 feet away, pretty far) and he looks over, STOPS WORKING ON DUNGEYS BIKE, and runs to us down the line, shakes our hand, asks how were doing, ect. COOLEST FRIGGON THING EVER! I ACTUALLY TOLD HIM! TO GET BACK TO WORK ON DUNGEYS BIKE! He laughed and trotted back. Sickes thing ever guys. One of the coolest dudes for sure.

Anyway, you guys gotta remember, there is no one around those hotels. I mean, 0 fans are around. Its pretty secretive. The rigs arent easy to spot. Its totally cool if you just drive around, see any rigs that are open, stop, get out, go over there and just ask how everyones doin. We have never ever had an experience of "who are these friggon people walking up to us" never. If anyone wants to know the location Ill let ya guys know. Really is cool.
|
4stroke4DWIN
5/12/2012 10:59am
Cool story dude.

I had a similar thing happen once back in the mid 80's. I was 10 or 11 and we went out to Rio Bravo raceway back in Tx on a Sunday before the Houston SX and to our amazement Ricky Johnson, Jonny O and David Baily i believe were running laps on the SX track. My dad and I crept over to Ricky to say hi expecting to get the cold shoulder. Wrong!!!!

That guy was so down to earth and it was like talking to someone we had known for years. He asked me what class I rode and was really interested in my mx riding.

The next weekend came and after the race we went down to the pits to score swag. I had drawn a picture of Ricky standing with his bike and when I got up to him for an autograph he said, hey you are the kid from Rio? I was like WOW he remembers me, he said hold on, shuffled back into his rig and comes back with his jersey from that nights SX. I will never forget that moment ever.
Graphite
5/12/2012 11:32am
My dad personally took David Bailey around the hill and mountain trails in 1986. Bailey actually rode a borrowed CR500 from my dad, and they had a great time and took lots of pictures.

He still keeps those pictures, along with the dozens of ones he has of him riding with Larry Rosler on his KX500.
RexBackman
5/12/2012 1:30pm
My old stomping grounds...

US 50 and Sunrise Blvd, US 50 and E. Bidwell are where the hotels are.

When I was a Moto Photohound I used to get some cool images as the mechanics worked on the bikes in the hotel parking lots during the evenings.

Enjoy! Hope it is not too warm.

The Shop

BobbyM
5/12/2012 3:02pm
Moto331 wrote:
Thursday before Hangtown, for the last 10-12 years, We would go out in the afternoon to some Hotels off Highway 50, and guess what would be...
Thursday before Hangtown, for the last 10-12 years, We would go out in the afternoon to some Hotels off Highway 50, and guess what would be sitting there? ALL THE TRUCKS AND BIKES AND MECHANICS getting ready for HANGTOWN. yep. They park in Rancho Cordova and I kid you not, they have the bikes out, spot lights on, and and are sitting there working on the bikes. The amount of stories I could tell... ALL the riders motor homes, everything, are there. Riders everywhere.

When I was about 10, we stopped by the Kawi rig and the trucker was just outside and we stopped to talk to him. Offered to help him with his hoses to the truck. We helped the guy out, heeven told me to put something back in the rig and I stepped in there, and there was RC's 250 two stroke (along with several other bikes)

Another time Kevin Whindam was outside the hotel and we walked up and said good luck and he was just the coolest guy ofcourse.

One year we must of friggon sat at the Pro circuit rig (our favorite) for an HOUR talking to one of the mechanics. BS'in with Chad watts who was around. Roger decoster.

Back in 04 or something, we saw Tim ferry, out of the back of his truck, just sitting on the ground working on his bike. Weird to see, because he was just a total privateer at the time.

Sat outside our truck on year for probably 20 min. just watching Mike brown talk to some people. Just so sick.

Id have to say though, best experience I had, was in 2010. NO ONE was around. All the rigs were there ofcourse, but no riders, the rigs were closed, it sucked! (keep in mind we just drove 16 hours straight from the Spokane/Coeur d'Alene area)Then, as we circle all these hotels, I see the Suzuki rig. We drive up, and guess whos there closing the doors- Mike Gosslar (sorry dont know how to spell it) I was so nervous going up to him! haha. we talked for so long. Told him where we were from and he has a place just a couple hours south. We must of sat and BSed for 20 minutes. It was the coolest thing.

Next day, we go in the pits and were waiting in a giant line forDungey, and I shout to Mike to say hi (im about 50- 70 feet away, pretty far) and he looks over, STOPS WORKING ON DUNGEYS BIKE, and runs to us down the line, shakes our hand, asks how were doing, ect. COOLEST FRIGGON THING EVER! I ACTUALLY TOLD HIM! TO GET BACK TO WORK ON DUNGEYS BIKE! He laughed and trotted back. Sickes thing ever guys. One of the coolest dudes for sure.

Anyway, you guys gotta remember, there is no one around those hotels. I mean, 0 fans are around. Its pretty secretive. The rigs arent easy to spot. Its totally cool if you just drive around, see any rigs that are open, stop, get out, go over there and just ask how everyones doin. We have never ever had an experience of "who are these friggon people walking up to us" never. If anyone wants to know the location Ill let ya guys know. Really is cool.
yer a fucking dork. the jig is up...step off.

yer more full of shit than sanford and sons front porch, yer really making an ass out of yerself sonny...cool it.
Moto331
5/12/2012 3:20pm
BobbyM wrote:
yer a fucking dork. the jig is up...step off. yer more full of shit than sanford and sons front porch, yer really making an ass out...

yer more full of shit than sanford and sons front porch, yer really making an ass out of yerself sonny...cool it.
ya know, I always thought you were a cock sucker on this site. Every fucking post you make, has some type of smart ass fuckin attitude. Who do you think you are? I dont give a single shit if you believe me or not.Not one single shit. Go there yourself and find out asshole. I believe the guy above you confirmed it. Dick
Bauer
5/12/2012 3:29pm Edited Date/Time 5/12/2012 3:34pm
BobbyM wrote:
yer a fucking dork. the jig is up...step off. yer more full of shit than sanford and sons front porch, yer really making an ass out...

Chill out, Boobly, let him tell his stories. I love to hear about people with genuine enthusiasm about meeting the people inside. Not everyone is a jaded mofo like you, Bob!

One more thing, Bob. If you look above there is a post from another guy from Mesa, AZ. Emulate his post and the world will be a better place!

Steve Bauer
2012 Monster Energy Supercross Humanitarian of the Year
Bauer
5/12/2012 3:42pm Edited Date/Time 5/12/2012 3:43pm
Moto331 wrote:
ya know, I always thought you were a cock sucker on this site. Every fucking post you make, has some type of smart ass fuckin attitude...
ya know, I always thought you were a cock sucker on this site. Every fucking post you make, has some type of smart ass fuckin attitude. Who do you think you are? I dont give a single shit if you believe me or not.Not one single shit. Go there yourself and find out asshole. I believe the guy above you confirmed it. Dick
Moto331, don't let Bob get under your skin, just let him roll off yer back. He fancies himself above the rest when it comes to NorCal shit and he knows exactly where and what you were writing about...he may still be suffering from post-traumatic stress syndrome from the many times I laid an ass-whuppin on him up here in NorCal. Plus I know he's hurting about me now being an official NorCal dude (and an honorary Dirt Digger's North member!).

Semen D Bauer
2012 Monster Energy Supercross Humanitarian of the Year and Honorary Dirt Digger's North member

Ps. Although a goo-gobbler of the highest order, Bob is more of a rim job kinda guy, not so much a cocksucker...
BobbyM
5/12/2012 3:59pm
BobbyM wrote:

Moto331 wrote:
ya know, I always thought you were a cock sucker on this site. Every fucking post you make, has some type of smart ass fuckin attitude...
Unless yer 13 years old....for real, or real dense upstairs yer a sham. yer somebody yer not....face it. we're on to you. you went from 13 year old to a seasoned cussing old man in 1 paragraph. it's obvious....
Wiley
5/12/2012 4:19pm
Good read 331. Your enthusiasm is refreshing.

Meyers must be out of weed. He's a bit edgie again.
Moto331
5/12/2012 5:19pm
Wiley wrote:

Yeah man, it really is amazing seeing the rigs and people outside of the pits ya know. Its awesome. Really wish I was going to Hangtown this year to see the rigs.

Another thing, it would be so easy to steal bikes. You gotta imagine, its dark, and theres 4-5 bikes out just leaned up against trees and the rig. One time a bike was leaned up against a tree, Mechanics werent even paying attention, and they were far away, and the bike was just sitting there in the dark. I remember thinking, My Gosh, we could throw this in the back of a truck instantly! Pretty crazy. think it was 03 PC bike or something, I cant remember. Hope nothing like that happens.
Highsider
5/12/2012 5:37pm Edited Date/Time 5/12/2012 5:39pm
Shameless Bauer...shameless!!!
Laughing

PS- Congrats on your new title.
Moto331
5/12/2012 9:03pm
RexBackman wrote:
My old stomping grounds... US 50 and Sunrise Blvd, US 50 and E. Bidwell are where the hotels are. When I was a Moto Photohound I...
My old stomping grounds...

US 50 and Sunrise Blvd, US 50 and E. Bidwell are where the hotels are.

When I was a Moto Photohound I used to get some cool images as the mechanics worked on the bikes in the hotel parking lots during the evenings.

Enjoy! Hope it is not too warm.
Right on man. Yeah I lived in sac for 17 years. We used to landscape a few mcdonalds around there, and one friday morning as I was mowing (right across from AM PM Heading towards Hangtown) There goes all the friggon rigs, ONE after ANOTHER. God is awesome. I just stood there for 10 min just watching them drive by lol. Awesome.
Bigshow
5/12/2012 10:56pm
I enjoyed reading your story. Back in 93 at the Indy SX round I waited for Skip Norfolk to come out of the Hoosier dome. Started BSing with him and ended pushing Mc's bike back to the box truck. No Honda semi yet. He let me change the shock and forks on on Mc's CR so he ould send the works units to Showa for rebuild. Hung out till round 4 am in the box truck, also got to meet and BS with Mc. Showed up for the 94 Indy round again and Skip remembered me and invited me in their pit before the race. After the race I pushed the bike again and wrenched on it. Went to the 94 Nat at Troy and hung out in the pits with Skip and Lamson's mechanic all day sat. Ended up cleaning out the box truck, changing 11 of Mc's tires, and put the bike together for the race sunday. Mc won his first outdoor moto the next day. Never been so nervous watching a race in my life, as I put part of the bike together and changed the tires Mc was racing on. But man was I excited when he won that 2nd moto for 2nd overall. Came away with a whole bunch of goodies that weekend. 95 Cleveland SX: hung out with Skip and Mc in the pits before the race, drank champagne after the race as he clinched 3rd title. This was the first year for Spy goggles, I tried to score a pair from Mc. The guys from No Fear was there and said they didnt have any extras. This was before you could buy the Spy's and they were Scott frames with Spy decals and straps. 3 weeks later the UPS truck delivers a small box from No Fear, opened it and inside was a pair of the prototype Spy goggles with a note from Mc saying enjoy. Needless to say I have never wore them, they are still in the box with the note. Still dont know how Mc got my address. I dont know if Mc ever knew my name, he always just called me Big Man (6'4" 350 pounds) at the races, but he did remember me from year to year. Once he seen me before I seen him and he came over to me in the pits before the race, and said I missed you last year Big Man. I didnt make it to Indy one year 97 when he was on the Suzuki. In 96 I took 2 of my friends to Indy with me, they never believed my Mc story's. We went in the pits after practice, went up to the Honda rig and Mc seen me and came over to talk. Both of theirs mouths dropped open and they had to eat crow. My years of hanging with Skip and the King always made my life brighter, as Mc always had time for a redneck from out in the sticks of backwoods Southern Ohio.
Tumblin
5/13/2012 8:52am
I was waiting outside a dinner house with my buds the night prior to Hangtown in Folsum last year. My group was bench racing when I noticed Bevo, Donny Elmer, LaPorte and others doing the same. I was primed already so I blew off my buds, telling them I've already heard their embellished stories and slipped over to the icon group to introduce myself and hear me some new stories. My buzzed brain figured out pretty quick, Elmer, Bevo must have had stories they weren't comfortable spewing so I slid back to the relics I was with. But LaPorte followed me over and introduced himself to my buds... like nobody already knew him.
It's cool to see some one you've idolized over the years is just another enthusiast like the rest of us. Only he's one that's been able to live that dream yet can still get excited about what he gets to do. It made me feel like I wasn't just a Fan Boy, but I was a card carrying member of the elite.
Moto331
5/13/2012 9:57am
Right on. Cool stories for sure.
jeffro503
5/13/2012 10:06am
I thought these were some pretty cool stories to be honest. Not sure who pissed in Bobby's cornflakes this morning? Anyways.....some cool stories dudes. I have some kinda cool ones myself , but no more time to type.....going out for my first ride in over 4 months since my knee is all healed up!! YeeHawww!
5/13/2012 12:46pm
Glad to see aan enthusiastic post Moto331....don't let "rim job" bobbym get to you, like others have stated, he's just an ornery old asshole with a jaded perspective, and gets his ego blast from belittling others and generally being a sourpuss.

Every forum I have ever seen him post in, he's a dick. It's normal.
bullpen58
5/13/2012 12:52pm
I agree about BM. He can be a rude meany pants sometimes.

It always excites me to see the riders/mechanics/rigs outside of the official d-bag fan pit time. Pit passes are a waste of money. The riders hide (most of them do, anyways.....and I don't blame them) to avoid all the d-bag autograph seekers. If you can ever get into the pits when it ISN'T the official d-bag fan time, it is super cool. People will talk to you and you get to see and hear things that you would never see otherwise.

Those rigs, the tools, and the bikes give me a boner.
ocscottie
5/13/2012 12:59pm

Me too!! back in the box van days my friends would be standing at the vans begging the riders for swag, jerseys, stickers, etc etc. All the while i would be standing in front of the bike staring at the beautiful, awesome machinery and chit chatting with the mechanics.
Katoom72
5/13/2012 2:09pm
ocscottie wrote:
[i]Those rigs, the tools, and the bikes give me a boner. [/i] Me too!! back in the box van days my friends would be standing at...

Me too!! back in the box van days my friends would be standing at the vans begging the riders for swag, jerseys, stickers, etc etc. All the while i would be standing in front of the bike staring at the beautiful, awesome machinery and chit chatting with the mechanics.
I tought i was the only one that is more interested in the bikes, the mechanics and their stories. Laughing
ocscottie
5/13/2012 2:19pm
I have always been a wrench head since i was just a kid, first top end i did was on my 78 RM50, i was 8 or 9yrs old and did my first bottom end on my 81 YZ80 at 12. I always said if i didnt make it racing i would be a mechanic, until i learned the hell of a life they live lol Im one of those guys when someone needs something fixed, they always ask me, unfortunately nowadays i work on computers when i should be working on bikes!
BobbyM
5/13/2012 4:13pm Edited Date/Time 5/13/2012 4:28pm
Wiley wrote:

Moto331 wrote:
Yeah man, it really is amazing seeing the rigs and people outside of the pits ya know. Its awesome. Really wish I was going to Hangtown...
Yeah man, it really is amazing seeing the rigs and people outside of the pits ya know. Its awesome. Really wish I was going to Hangtown this year to see the rigs.

Another thing, it would be so easy to steal bikes. You gotta imagine, its dark, and theres 4-5 bikes out just leaned up against trees and the rig. One time a bike was leaned up against a tree, Mechanics werent even paying attention, and they were far away, and the bike was just sitting there in the dark. I remember thinking, My Gosh, we could throw this in the back of a truck instantly! Pretty crazy. think it was 03 PC bike or something, I cant remember. Hope nothing like that happens.
bullshit...yer stories are full of holes. surely you have some pics if you were that stoked about the "trucks". cell phone maybe....digital camera?

roger at the rig on thursday...making sure "gosler" is on top of everything? lmao...

this line is good...

"they have the bikes out, spot lights on, and and are sitting there working on the bikes. The amount of stories I could tell... ALL the riders motor homes, everything, are there. Riders everywhere."

riders...hanging out thursday with the trucks and drivers? dungey and rv shooting the shit with the drivers or mechnix in the micky dees or courtyard parking lot? lmao....

Post a reply to: For those who live in NOR CAL- CHECK. THIS. OUT

The Latest