For those of you who raced this summer..... ( does anyone on Vital actually do that...?? )...

dirtnapper
9/4/2017 10:17pm Edited Date/Time 9/6/2017 9:12am
What was your highlight of the summer?

I haven't raced a whole bunch the last five years or so but this summer I made it to 5 different races, both Regionally and Provincially, and I really had a blast getting back into it. I got 18 gate drops in and had some really good times, some great motos and some terrible motos I'd rather forget! I met a bunch of other vet guys and we really had fun, I really looked forward to seeing those guys at the next race. It brought back how fun motocross can be!

My easy highlite was I FINALLY pulled a holeshot! And not a "maybe, just barely, not really sure " holeshot - I pulled a massive holeshot against a bunch of 450s on my CR250. I came around the first corner, a really tight 180 degree, with no one near me. I hit the two doubles on a straightaway and tucked into the next tight left hander - no one near me. I was like " are you kidding me, this is happening??" That next straight stretch had a big ( to me ) double on it that I only hit once in practise , but with a clear track in front I grabbed a handful and sent er over the big double - it really was a good feeling!

After the race as I was heading back to the pits an Intermediate rider stopped me, gave me a high five and said " wicked holeshot, dude!" - it seriously made my day Tongue

I was never in contention for a championship as work prevented me from racing a whole series, but was it ever fun to get back into it. Over all I had a great summer on the bike.

How bout you guys?

( here's a pic my daughter took of me owning the Vet Jr class off the start ...... Silly I'm on the far left )

|
dirtnapper
9/4/2017 10:22pm
Oh and another thing - I saw a guy wearing a Vital t shirt at the Dawson Creek PMA race!! We chatted a bit and he said he's a member on here - I just completely forget his name. Pretty cool to meet a fellow Vital dude though!
9/4/2017 10:29pm
I'm 30 years old and just came off a 11 month hiatus from riding due to a bad crash resulting in complete ACL tear and medial+lateral meniscus tear, then surgery, then recovery.

Stupid me decided to race 2 classes my first race back. I told my lady that i felt 100%, but really i was only about 75%.

My first class (450 Novice) was race 1 of the day, and i was easily 10 years older than anyone else on the gate. I got smoked. My second class (25+ Novice) was race 3, so literally I got the checkers and headed straight back to the gate to line up for that one. I was dead tired. The months of sitting around eating multiple jars of nutella and icecream showed.

Wound up getting like 8th or 9th overall in 450 Novice and salvaged a 3rd overall in 25+ Novice that day.

Still worth it.
Katoomey
9/4/2017 10:39pm
Nice! i've also gotten back into it more then I have in a few years, I'm still racing...off-road. have 3 more races. Only got to ride moto a couple times this summer. I took on a little bit too much this year with off-road racing.

I've had some ok results. It's a "rebuilding" year for me, haha. This is my first serious attempt at an entire off-road series (MTXC) in 15 years, so... I'm 37 and have been training hard for the last year, but my endurance is still not where it needs to be. I've run up front all year (A vet), and have even lead races, but in that last 30-45 minutes i'm tanking, and I have lost as many as 8 spots on the last loop.

results be damned though, because it's been great so far. rejuvenating even!
Sidecar
9/4/2017 10:55pm
Your hole shot story is cool, nothing beats that feeling coming out of the first turn with all the noise and commotion behind you...

I am having a good season, about 8 races deep on my EML KX500 sidecar and my KX500. We have 3 races left and the highlight will be the last one, the Weston Beach Race in October....

The Shop

Sidecar
9/4/2017 10:59pm
Oh and yes that's a vital sticker above the 4 on my front number plate in the last picture....
9/4/2017 11:09pm Edited Date/Time 9/4/2017 11:10pm
I have only raced three times this summer so far. I loved my race against a bunch of beginners on a vet track the most. I holeshoted some 450s on my 250f. Glen Helen gp was a lot of fun too.

I really want to get a Kx 500 this year.
hyler199
9/4/2017 11:52pm Edited Date/Time 9/4/2017 11:54pm
Wish i was racing!!! Im normally novice b rider that races xc and enduro just outside of Toronto called Offroad Ontario.

Only been riding for 4 years now really with no injuries but I completely tore my PCL , a bit of my calf and meniscus damage on June 2nd playing baseball. Havent done surgery as they think i might not need it. Im just started walking again 3 weeks ago and super pumped.

My dads been racing my bike haha but I did just puttputt around in the backyard yesturday for the first time!!!! That was my highlight for sure haha

I quickly stopped because I know id get carried away lol. Wont even bother riding the bike till May of next year so Ill have some cti knee braces by then!

Never really went on Vital till the accident and never really listened to PulpMX and its other channels aswell. Will have to make time to squeeze them in when im back at work as if it wasnt hard already haha
TimV
9/5/2017 12:28am
Well, my highlight was that I started my first season of racing! (Been riding for 2,5 years just for fun)
I must say that it comes with a lot of ups & downs but overall it has been more than fun!
My highlight was finishing sixth in one moto and another was leading for the full 7 meters! (Yes, I was happy with that, lol)
A bit more of a down moment was crashing in a start... (ps, that's not my bike in the pic, and yes... there is laying somebody behind me who looks death)

dirtnapper
9/5/2017 7:22pm
Thanks for the replies guys - and Sidecar, that is really cool! I've always thought side car racing was cool but honestly don't know a lot about it....
KurtJ99
Fantasy
679th
9/5/2017 7:30pm
Mammoth this year. F'd up my knee but worth it getting up front for a lap.

captmoto
9/5/2017 7:37pm
The 2017 World Police and Fire Games in August. That was when we had that freakish cool spell. GHR was rough but relatively dust free. I sucked hard both days but got to meet people from Brazil, Norway, Australia, Mexico, New Zealand, GBR and Mongolia as well as racers from all over the U.S.
Yes, Mongolia. I've seen him race before and he flat out hauls ass. Who knew?
Awards night was Taco Tuesday and the food was awesome but even better was Jeff Emig presenting the Bronze metals, Danny LaPorte presenting silver and The Man himself Roger Decoster presenting the gold. It was a great 3 days out at Glen Helen.
rk337
9/5/2017 8:22pm
captmoto wrote:
The 2017 World Police and Fire Games in August. That was when we had that freakish cool spell. GHR was rough but relatively dust free. I...
The 2017 World Police and Fire Games in August. That was when we had that freakish cool spell. GHR was rough but relatively dust free. I sucked hard both days but got to meet people from Brazil, Norway, Australia, Mexico, New Zealand, GBR and Mongolia as well as racers from all over the U.S.
Yes, Mongolia. I've seen him race before and he flat out hauls ass. Who knew?
Awards night was Taco Tuesday and the food was awesome but even better was Jeff Emig presenting the Bronze metals, Danny LaPorte presenting silver and The Man himself Roger Decoster presenting the gold. It was a great 3 days out at Glen Helen.
Was also my favorite race of the summer! Some crazy fast guys from all around.
The GP was the best, having off road suspension was nicer there, not so much on the main track ha
JW381
9/5/2017 8:29pm
Racing the 125 Dream Race for sure!

BobPA
9/5/2017 8:30pm
Only did a few races, not in very good shape. My highlight would have to be winning +25 on my 125.
bents
Fantasy
694th
9/5/2017 8:54pm

Raced at Austin Raceways, in Austin Manitoba. I first raced there when it opened in 1977, and I believe it closed in 1997. An old school reunion race of sorts was held in Austin on August 27th and it was an absolute blast.
mx510
Fantasy
1861st
9/5/2017 8:58pm
This is easy for me, my sons first race at Washougal. It is my favorite place on earth, and him finally being able to race it was really special.

JM485
9/5/2017 9:16pm
Didn't do much racing this summer, but the little bit I did had some awesome stories.

The highlight of my summer was probably a hillclimb/hard enduro event we had in Reno, NV. Kyle Redmond showed up, and as luck would have it we ended up lining up next to each other in the 450 verticross semi finals. I didn't know what the hell was going to happen, but I was on the outside and knew I had to pull a holeshot to have any chance of winning. I ended up getting a slight jump, railed the outside while he slid around the inside, and had a slight lead going into the hill. He ended up passing me by sending a super sketchy step up after a road crossing half way up the hill, but for me to give it a race for half the hill was so huge for me! I don't think anyone thought I had a realistic shot at winning except myself, I wanted the upset so bad and after watching my GoPro footage I still don't know how I took the corner so fast after the start. Here's a shot of us coming out of the corner, I love the intensity of this picture!

The other race was amateur day at Hangtown. Always a good time, but I lost a good friend of mine in the days leading up to the race last year so the race has a lot of special meaning for me now. I still remember getting the news right after practice was over and it's something I'll remember for the rest of my life. This year I finished one spot better than the year prior, progress!!!!Laughing I followed up my stellar result by screwing around and doing a nose wheelie down a little hill. . . and proceeded to overcook it and tip over the bars in front of like 50 people.Blush Luckily the only thing bruised was my pride, but to be honest seeing everyone laught kind of made me happy since I know it made their day a little bit better.Cool . What can you do but laugh?

Those were essentially the highlights of my summer racing, great thread!

CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2298th
9/5/2017 10:11pm
Got some super fun races under the belt this summer:
2 Stroke World Champs
Mammoth
Washougal Old Timers
125 Dream Race

Some good results built also some mechanicals, overall great summer!
urbanlift707
9/5/2017 10:31pm
This years mammoth was probably the best racing weekend I've ever had. Great trip with two good friends, outta my four motos my worst start against 39 other 450's was 5th on my 250 two stroke and I won two moto's and got second overall.

Passing this guy on the downhill was by far the highlight, I sent it soo hard!! We battled the hole moto and gave high five's at the finish, was awesome!
https://www.instagram.com/p/BVfi76cD3F0kH-4UOXRbIvoKqQMAGJGCNK3ia40/?ta…
Sidecar
9/5/2017 10:41pm
dirtnapper wrote:
Thanks for the replies guys - and Sidecar, that is really cool! I've always thought side car racing was cool but honestly don't know a lot...
Thanks for the replies guys - and Sidecar, that is really cool! I've always thought side car racing was cool but honestly don't know a lot about it....
Haha... It's really not that different, a sound bunch of guys and girls, arrive in vans, have a BBQ and bench race on sat evening, and not take the racing too serious on Sunday... Well until the gate drops, then it's game on!!!
I'm @kx500steve on instagram, I have videos and photos on there from our adventures this summer.
kzizok
Fantasy
1859th
9/5/2017 10:49pm
Just not enough time in the day for me. I moonlight as a janitor at MIT at night. I like to keep my brain sharp by working the equations that are left up in the classrooms.

Im constantly too tired to race when the weekends come.
captmoto
9/5/2017 10:52pm
rk337 wrote:
Was also my favorite race of the summer! Some crazy fast guys from all around. The GP was the best, having off road suspension was nicer...
Was also my favorite race of the summer! Some crazy fast guys from all around.
The GP was the best, having off road suspension was nicer there, not so much on the main track ha
That damn rock garden was murder with moto suspension. I heard the water truck hit it for one of the later races. No good for us SoCal guys.
KirkChandler
Fantasy
357th
9/5/2017 11:59pm
Was able to race Mammoth and Washougal this summer. Lots of fun.

Turbojez
9/6/2017 12:52am
I did! Fucked up both starts and had to come from the last place, menaged to get 5th in 1st race and 3rd in the second. You wouldn't believe how pissed I was when the bike died on me behind the gate before moto 2. 5 sec board was already up at that point of course... I had loooooots of fun coming through the pack though + I was the only guy on the 2 stroke, therefore It's pretty obvious I had the most fun of all!!!
Turbojez
9/6/2017 12:56am
Was able to race Mammoth and Washougal this summer. Lots of fun. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2017/09/05/213237/s1200_IMG_9928.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2017/09/05/213238/s1200_IMG_3170.jpg[/img]
Was able to race Mammoth and Washougal this summer. Lots of fun.

Damn, those tracks you have in US really are spectacular. Someday...
Stuntman949
9/6/2017 7:47am
My bike broke during a race at Glen Helen, thus letting my roommate finally beat me. With his newly found confidence, he bagged a solid 6/10 at our local pub that night. Good on ya Kyle.
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3682nd
9/6/2017 7:50am
kzizok wrote:
Just not enough time in the day for me. I moonlight as a janitor at MIT at night. I like to keep my brain sharp by...
Just not enough time in the day for me. I moonlight as a janitor at MIT at night. I like to keep my brain sharp by working the equations that are left up in the classrooms.

Im constantly too tired to race when the weekends come.
Couldn't race. Had to go see about a girl.
Tumblin
9/6/2017 8:06am
Couldn't race. Couldn't ride. Couldn't even finish my xs650 build as my summers was spent rebuilding my rental from foundation to roof.
Sucks, its the first year since the 3 years I quit racing after my 78 "pro" debut...I just turned 60 and I'm missing that opportunity I had each decade after moving into the vet classes...being that fast newbie in a new age bracket Lol.
9/6/2017 8:34am
dirtnapper wrote:
Oh and another thing - I saw a guy wearing a Vital t shirt at the Dawson Creek PMA race!! We chatted a bit and he...
Oh and another thing - I saw a guy wearing a Vital t shirt at the Dawson Creek PMA race!! We chatted a bit and he said he's a member on here - I just completely forget his name. Pretty cool to meet a fellow Vital dude though!
Ha, cant believe it, nice to meet you man!
yak651
Fantasy
168th
9/6/2017 9:11am
Local track had an event a couple weeks back where they had a night race on a stadium style track and then the next day a race on the usual MX track. They had a podium set up and interviewed the top 3 from each day and the overall. Gave a bottle and an "ax" to the champions of the "battle of WI". I was able to pull off wins each day, was pretty cool to say thanks to my friends for supporting me in front of others.

Post a reply to: For those of you who raced this summer..... ( does anyone on Vital actually do that...?? )...

The Latest