For those of you that race, what are you thinking on the line?

Related:
Create New Tag

4/2/2018 12:52 PM

In those last 30 seconds before the gate drops, what runs through your mind?

When I first started, it was all about getting to the corner first. Now that I know that I'm gonna get dusted in C class everytime, I tell myself to focus on things I wanna do better at, like focusing on my ruts and corners, hitting certain jumps better, or being more aggressive in my passes.

What do you guys think about?

|

No I don't ride an 85 anymore.

4/2/2018 12:55 PM

size of the blunt after, more beer, arm pump, don't die usually are my top

|

Justin Cooper is the future.

4/2/2018 12:57 PM

rm85racer wrote:

In those last 30 seconds before the gate drops, what runs through your mind?

When I first started, it was all about getting ...more

Visualizing getting to the corner first. It's the most important part of the race imo....

|

4/2/2018 12:59 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/2/2018 12:59 PM

Honestly, I'm not really sure, nothing? It's at that time I manage to block everything from the outside out and all that nervousness, stomach pain, nausea etc is turned into focus. It's just about getting out of the gate as fast as possible. Starts has always been a specialty of mine so I guess I'm doing it right. Well did, I'm done racing now.

|

4/2/2018 1:01 PM

Not much really... Pretty much automatic at this point.

|

www.bettercallsaul.com
Die Antwoord

4/2/2018 1:03 PM

Did I apply the correct torque settings... That and don't die.

|

4/2/2018 1:15 PM

Please get a good start, please get a good start, then i proceed to get the dead last holeshot award.

|

2009 RMZ 250 (sold)
2004 LTZ 400
#nukethequads

4/2/2018 1:19 PM

Come on, come on, come on, whats taking so long, drop already!!! and don't die

|

4/2/2018 1:19 PM

Block out everything and just do my thing. I sit on the line like it is just another day at the office. When the 30 second board goes up I say "time to get paid" and focus on the gate/first turn.

|

Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

4/2/2018 1:28 PM

Usually wondering if the 15 second board girl's mom is hot ...

|

4/2/2018 1:30 PM

"Here just for fun. Get home safe"

|

"A link is only as long as your longest strong chain"

4/2/2018 1:43 PM

NYmotocross wrote:

size of the blunt after, more beer, arm pump, don't die usually are my top

With age comes wisdom!!

|

4/2/2018 1:47 PM

Every thing goes quite and into slow motion and all I can think is lets get this party started. The start and first laps are always my favorite part of racing. cool

|

Ed Johnson

4/2/2018 1:53 PM

The only thing going through my head is "I'm gonna be the first mother f***** to that turn"

|

4/2/2018 1:53 PM

I visualize myself in the first corner. Been doing this since I was sixteen or so. It does workw00t

|

Germany 1975 250 CZ Centerport, laydown shocks, mikuni with reed valve, Marzocchi forks with me as the motopilot

4/2/2018 1:54 PM

Or I check to make sure the gas is on about 37 times

|

4/2/2018 1:55 PM

Nothing but the start. Viewing the holeshot in my mind... Most times, I get it or I'm very close...

|

2019 KTM 350 XC-F
Daytona Dirt Riders (DDR)
Floridatrailriders.org (FTR)

4/2/2018 1:58 PM

One of two things:

1. Visualize the first turn and get really focused

2. Please God, don't let my wife and kids see me eat shit and die today smile

|

4/2/2018 2:04 PM

Having very recently started racing again... "Don't blow the start again..." followed by getting a terrible start.

My fault though. I have spent virtually no time practicing starts. I've been so focused on doing laps the past few months that I just haven't given myself the time to sit there and drop the clutch.

Another thing I'm telling myself on the gate is to relax. Heart rate seems to climb rapidly up to the point just before we start revving up for the gate drop. As soon as the revs come up I actually feel pretty good.

|

James

4/2/2018 2:16 PM

I'm so focused on the gate that I'm not thinking about anything other than waiting for the gate to drop.

|

2017 RMZ450
2005 YZ250-sold :,(
1998 YZ250
2005 KX250F

80% of the time it works every time
IG @2HRacing
Thanks to : Factory Effex, N2Dirt, Acerbis, DT1, Fasthouse, Matix, FMF, ASV, 100% & Mika Metals

4/2/2018 2:20 PM

I’m thinking “I can’t wait for this gate to drop so this fucking anxiety goes away.”

|

4/2/2018 2:21 PM

Until we start revving up for the gate drop I am usually thinking about how stupid I must be to still be doing this, then as we rev it up I focus on dumping the clutch as soon as the gate flinches and I try to rationalize it by reminding myself that most of the other riders will hesitate so I will be able to beat them to the first turn, and I usually do, if I don't hit the gate.

|

Instagram: vanillaice782
Amateur helmet painter

4/2/2018 2:24 PM

I try not to think about anything, keep my mind blank. When I start thinking is when I usually get a bad jump or spin too much.

|

4/2/2018 2:25 PM

I think “im so glad ive got e start”, while that other guy is still trying to kick his bike to life and misting up his goggles

|

4/2/2018 2:26 PM

Nothing goes through your mind. When the gate is about to drop, everything is instinctual. There's always that hint of fear, doubt, crashing, winning, getting the holeshot, and many other emotions. Above all, I would pray that everything was going to be fine and that I stay safe. It's almost been 10 years since I raced, so it's hard to remember what exactly ran through my mind. All I know is, once the gate dropped, I felt free of all the bullshit, stress, and other drama in my life.

|

4/2/2018 2:38 PM

I've gotta poop.

|

4/2/2018 2:42 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/2/2018 2:44 PM

Last 30 seconds I'm usually focusing on getting off the gate quickly and smoothly, I always get me best starts when I execute the first 20 feet smoothly. Smooth and in control equals a fast start. About 30 seconds before that, I am saying a quick prayer, every time I line up.

|

4/2/2018 3:02 PM

I concentrate on not throwing up on my gear or bike, always aim for the dirt

|

“If you don’t crash alot, you just ain’t going fast enough” Chandler

4/2/2018 3:15 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/2/2018 3:17 PM

Prayer which usually gets interrupted by one of my friends ... I've been doing this for a while(lots of great awesome friends) so now it's a real quick one ... get a feel for the clutch then ... ok I'm so fat I never get wheelspin so that's out of the question ... so all I think of is "let's do this!"

Top three everytime when I want it.
p.s. I'm freakin 54yrs old but I can still rip some starts... there are a few tricks.cool

|

4/2/2018 3:51 PM

In last 30 seconds?

Nothing.

Instinct has taken over.

Now leading up to that. The two minute board etc. I’ve check my gas valve probably 30 times and adjusted my goggles 100 times. It’s like a baseball player adjusting his gloves. I always adjusted my goggles. Not the start but the giggle on my face. Probably related to OCD.

|