For the racers...16yo...2nd bike

Related:
Create New Tag

1/22/2018 8:47 AM

I'm in limbo about what direction to take for my son's 2nd bike. Currently, he is on a KTM 125 and he is a fast C racer. He is very comfortable on the bike and would have no problem handling more power. And since he has Lorretta dreams, I want to maximize his opportunities to make the big show and so I'm thinking about another bike. Currently he races 125C, 125B/C and Schoolboy 1 with the 125. We are thinking of trying for another class, such as 250C Jr limited, which his current 125 is not legal to compete because of the mods we have made. One of my concerns is jumping from a 250 4s back to a 125 2s in the course of the day. Since the two bike's power delivery and engine braking are so different, is this a drawback? Is that a difficult transition between bikes on race day? Would a 250 2s be a better second bike since it may feel closer to the 125?
So my question is do we buy another 125 or a 250 2s or do we go with the 250 4s?

|

1/22/2018 11:13 AM

My .02
Son is 16 also.
250 2 stroke is an animal. All his buddies have tested one and said not for me.
We have had both a 125 two stroke and a 250F for a few years and never had an issue switching between the two bikes.
Hope this helps.

KC

|

1/22/2018 11:25 AM

If you want to maximize his opportunities, you really should have him on a new 250 4s ever other year at the least.

|

1/22/2018 11:42 AM

No issues hopping back and forth between a 125 and 250f...especially at 16. Hell I am 30 and go back and forth between a 125, 250 smoker, and a 4 fiddy.

|

Tomac and/or Anderson for 2020.....

1/22/2018 11:53 AM

This depends on your rider. I had a friend who moved to a 250 smoker when he was 16 and never looked back (he's a larger, stronger, kind of guy.) As for me, I'm a thinner, more technique-based rider and I didn't get off a 125 until I was 27! laughing
I'd find it really difficult to switch from a thumper to a smoker in one day - as in, I'd probably be slower on both bikes because of the difference. Others can do it without any trouble. Has your son ever ridden a buddy's 250F? Did he like it? Try to find out what he's most comfortable with and go that route.

|

Braaapin' aint easy.

1/22/2018 11:54 AM

BobPA wrote:

No issues hopping back and forth between a 125 and 250f...especially at 16. Hell I am 30 and go back and forth between a 125, 250 smoker, and a 4 fiddy.

I completely agree, I did the same for years. He should get acquainted with a four stroke now, it does take a little adjustment but riding a 125 will only make him faster on the four stroke. It really keeps your technique sharp and to use momentum and corner speed

|

1/22/2018 11:58 AM

When I was 16 I raced 125B and 250B. Riding a 250 two stroke made me faster on my 125 because it was like jumping on a pit bike after riding something heavier with a lot more power.

|

2018 KTM 250sx
Instagram CamaroAJ

1/22/2018 11:58 AM

BobPA wrote:

No issues hopping back and forth between a 125 and 250f...especially at 16. Hell I am 30 and go back and forth between a 125, 250 smoker, and a 4 fiddy.

Agreed, we have an 89 RM125 and a 2014 YZF250, and the mental approach to both is exactley the same. 300 TM is a whole different beast though.

|

1/22/2018 12:04 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/22/2018 12:07 PM

My 2015 KX 250F is on consignment at 3 Palms of you are looking for a clean used 250F. It's literally in brand new condition. I owned it a year and only rode it 3 times. The guy I bought it from was an old guy in his 40's never rode it either.

https://www.3psportcyclecenter.com/default.asp?page=xPreOwnedInventoryDetail&id=4772688&p=1&s=Year&d=D&t=preowned&fr=xPreOwnedInventory

|

1/22/2018 12:17 PM

May not be the best comparison but I have a 250f and 450f and love riding both. I've done a few fair races where the 250f is perfect then for outdoors or more Supercross type tracks I run the 450f. I love ringing out the 250 it's a work out for sure, such a blast.

|

1/22/2018 12:27 PM

Thanks for the replies!

He has a friend that recently started riding both the 125 and a new 250f, and in our opinion, got slower on the 125. And even made the comment about finding it hard to race both bikes on the same day.
My son has ridden my 350 and loves it, but there's a difference between playing on dad's 350 and trying to race two different bikes in the same day. Granted, no pro aspirations here, we are just trying to make Lorettas, so not having a 250f isn't a big deal in regards to that career path. Just wanting some opinions on switching between the two bikes. Sounds like a 250 2s might be too much of a bike since he is not really a big kid. Possibly a 150 2s in the 250C Jr class might be an option too, but I would have to clarify that with the rules. The Loretta regional in our area is going to be on a sand track so power is important.

Any other opinions would be greatly appreciated.

|

1/22/2018 12:44 PM

Been there, my son had a problem riding both in the same day when we first moved up to 250F's. Once he got used to the bigger bikes he could switch between the two pretty easily. We are blessed enough to have all the different bikes in the garage and my son rides them all decently.

Too your point, if you want to make a serious run at LL's I would say for 250f....

|

2020 YZ450F
2018 KTM 450SXF FE
2016 YZ250F 2008 CRF450R
2015 YZ250F 2008 CRF250R
2001 CR250R
2010 YZ250 2012 CRF150R
2009 YZ125 2010 KX109.5
SSR Motorsports Dealer
TAGMX Suspension & Graphics! www.tagmxsuspension.com https://www.liquidskinzdesign.com/



1/22/2018 12:55 PM

If you guys were closer I'd swap bikes with him and let him ride my 250 on a practice day. When I was racing both bikes I only weighed about 150, so don't let weight/size fool you on handling a bike.

As far as a 2 stroke vs. 4 stroke in racing, in C class its going to come down to the rider as I doubt any of them are able to use the full potential of any of the bikes, 2 or 4 stoke. Remember, McGrath got the holeshot on a whole field of factory 450's on a two stroke.

|

2018 KTM 250sx
Instagram CamaroAJ

1/22/2018 1:11 PM

Great question, and a tough one - I guess it depends a lot on ability.....but also what he will have the most fun on, and what he wants to ride.

When I turned 16 I got a 250 2 stroke and raced A class, but I was pretty much fully grown at 16 (6'2 and 180lbs or so), then went to a KTM 520 at 18, which was ok, but nowhere near as much fun (purely because the amount of power made it hard to ride on all but the most open tracks). The next year I raced 125 and 250F on the same day, often finishing one race while my dad waited on the start line for the next race holding my bike. This was probably the most fun I ever had racing bikes as a kid - switching between 125 and 250F will be easy, and if you're going to be running multiple classes in one day, you'll want to be riding something that tires you out the least.... and I found 250Fs easier and more fun to ride than 250 2 strokes.

|

1/23/2018 7:06 AM

Thanks for the replies...

"Been there, my son had a problem riding both in the same day when we first moved up to 250F's. Once he got used to the bigger bikes he could switch between the two pretty easily. We are blessed enough to have all the different bikes in the garage and my son rides them all decently.

Too your point, if you want to make a serious run at LL's I would say for 250f...."

Luckily my boy is pretty strong so I don't think he will have a problem with the weight of the 250f but my main concern is with the power delivery and engine braking differences and being able to deal with that with back to back motos on the two different bikes.

"If you guys were closer I'd swap bikes with him and let him ride my 250 on a practice day. When I was racing both bikes I only weighed about 150, so don't let weight/size fool you on handling a bike. "

Thanks for the offer! He has ridden my 350 and handled it very well (the only time the bike has seen the rev limiter lol) so I'm sure he can handle the 250f.



|

1/23/2018 7:57 AM

exbmxmx wrote:

Thanks for the replies...

"Been there, my son had a problem riding both in the same day when we first moved up to 250F's. Once he got used to the bigger bikes he could switch between the two pretty easily. We are blessed enough to have all the different bikes in the garage and my son rides them all decently.

Too your point, if you want to make a serious run at LL's I would say for 250f...."

Luckily my boy is pretty strong so I don't think he will have a problem with the weight of the 250f but my main concern is with the power delivery and engine braking differences and being able to deal with that with back to back motos on the two different bikes.

"If you guys were closer I'd swap bikes with him and let him ride my 250 on a practice day. When I was racing both bikes I only weighed about 150, so don't let weight/size fool you on handling a bike. "

Thanks for the offer! He has ridden my 350 and handled it very well (the only time the bike has seen the rev limiter lol) so I'm sure he can handle the 250f.



My bike is a 250 2 stoke. I went the 250 4 stoke band wagon about 10 years ago and didn't like it. When I got back into moto I went back to 2 stokes.

|

2018 KTM 250sx
Instagram CamaroAJ

1/23/2018 8:09 AM

Switching between a 125 and 250f on a race day might be a bit weird for me. I do it often when Im just out riding with buddies but in a more serious environment to jump on my 125 and immediately have to be ready to go at race pace might not work out perfectly. At least not for the first event. Maybe I'd get used to doing it if I did it for a few races.

|

1/23/2018 8:11 AM

"My bike is a 250 2 stoke. I went the 250 4 stoke band wagon about 10 years ago and didn't like it. When I got back into moto I went back to 2 stokes."
ahhh now that is interesting. If we don't make a move by the next ATX trip, I may hit you up.

|

1/23/2018 8:56 AM

exbmxmx wrote:

"My bike is a 250 2 stoke. I went the 250 4 stoke band wagon about 10 years ago and didn't like it. When I got back into moto I went back to 2 stokes."
ahhh now that is interesting. If we don't make a move by the next ATX trip, I may hit you up.

When is that? ATX is normally the area I go to ride. I was at Spoaks last weekend and haven't decided where I want to ride in two weeks when I have time to ride again.

|

2018 KTM 250sx
Instagram CamaroAJ

1/23/2018 9:04 AM

We ride Murphys mostly when in that area.

|

1/23/2018 9:23 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/23/2018 9:24 AM

That's where I normally go as well. It's a pretty fun track. That's also where my profile picture was taken.

|

2018 KTM 250sx
Instagram CamaroAJ

1/23/2018 9:41 AM

IMO, switching between 2/4 stroke bikes would be harder on a given race day than switching between a 125 and 250 smoker or 250F and 450F. ("More" of the same power isn't as strange as 2 different types of power.)

|

Braaapin' aint easy.

1/23/2018 9:48 AM

exbmxmx wrote:

Thanks for the replies!

He has a friend that recently started riding both the 125 and a new 250f, and in our opinion, got slower on the 125. And even made the comment about finding it hard to race both bikes on the same day.
My son has ridden my 350 and loves it, but there's a difference between playing on dad's 350 and trying to race two different bikes in the same day. Granted, no pro aspirations here, we are just trying to make Lorettas, so not having a 250f isn't a big deal in regards to that career path. Just wanting some opinions on switching between the two bikes. Sounds like a 250 2s might be too much of a bike since he is not really a big kid. Possibly a 150 2s in the 250C Jr class might be an option too, but I would have to clarify that with the rules. The Loretta regional in our area is going to be on a sand track so power is important.

Any other opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Get a 250f. He will be fine switching back and forth as long as he rides both regularly.

|