For the dads out there...

WhKnuckle
3/26/2012 12:59pm Edited Date/Time 3/27/2012 2:33pm
I see lots of dads at racetracks watching their kids ride, which is great, and it's a terrific father/son time. But I spent Saturday chasing Steve around Rio Bravo, and I have to say to all those dads hanging on the fences - go buy a bike, get out there and ride with your son. There's nothing - NOTHING - like it. Go buy a used bike, get out there and ride. You might not be able to keep up if your son is going WFO, but catch him on warmup/cooldown laps, and just experience the sport with him, even if you're not going very fast (like me). I can keep up with Steve if he's riding 30 minute moto pace and I'm riding 6 lap pace, and just sitting right behind him for 6 laps and watching him ride is a transcendent experience. Neither of us are all that good, but it's all relative.

Don't just watch. Go ride WITH him. You'll be glad you did.
|
GrapeApe
Fantasy
806th
3/26/2012 1:15pm
. . . and conversely some of your kid's greatest memories will be dicing it up with you on the track. I wouldn't trade the days I spent trail riding and screwing around with my Dad for any racing win, trophy or accomplishment. I vividly remember how hard I worked to try to beat him as he intentionally slowed to give me a chance, and then returning the favor for him later in life.

Great post WhKnuckle.
mx510
Fantasy
1861st
3/26/2012 1:22pm
I kind of have a unique prespective on this. My dad unfortunately could not ride, due to his heart transplant. Even so, the weekends that I spent out at the track with my mom and dad, are/were priceless. There is NOTHING that I would trade for the memories of all those weekends. It was also really cool that my uncle who I grew extremely close to, does ride. Great topic, and discussion btw, hopefully some guys come out with some cool stories about "the good ol' days".
yak651
Fantasy
168th
3/26/2012 1:31pm
That would be nice, all my dad ever did was tell me to "quit that before you get hurt". Altough he would leave a $20 bill on the kitchen table Sunday mornings for me to take for gas/entry (this was in early '90's - that 20 bucks wouldn't go far now...) Although he said he didn't like me going to the races, at his funeral his friends from work told me how he would always talk about me going to races, so inside I guess he liked it, just didn't want to let me know?

The Shop

vet323
3/26/2012 1:31pm
WhKnuckle wrote:
I see lots of dads at racetracks watching their kids ride, which is great, and it's a terrific father/son time. But I spent Saturday chasing Steve...
I see lots of dads at racetracks watching their kids ride, which is great, and it's a terrific father/son time. But I spent Saturday chasing Steve around Rio Bravo, and I have to say to all those dads hanging on the fences - go buy a bike, get out there and ride with your son. There's nothing - NOTHING - like it. Go buy a used bike, get out there and ride. You might not be able to keep up if your son is going WFO, but catch him on warmup/cooldown laps, and just experience the sport with him, even if you're not going very fast (like me). I can keep up with Steve if he's riding 30 minute moto pace and I'm riding 6 lap pace, and just sitting right behind him for 6 laps and watching him ride is a transcendent experience. Neither of us are all that good, but it's all relative.

Yup! And my oldest son (now a top-10 B rider in Colo.) said having to learn how to pass a "wiley old codger" like myself made him immune to the kind of tactics a typical Novice or C rider uses.
gharmon
3/26/2012 1:32pm
Amen my friend!! I like nothing better than chasing my boys around the track. It's absolutely awesome when i'm on the track with both my sons. I don't give shit if I lose to them. I jumped on the track in front of my son a few months ago and tore my ACL TRYING to show him the fast way around the track!!!LOL I love man. I know have a 3 1/2 year old grandson that already has a PW50 and he loves to ride his "baby dirt bike" as he like to call it!!
gharmon
3/26/2012 1:39pm
GrapeApe wrote:
. . . and conversely some of your kid's greatest memories will be dicing it up with you on the track. I wouldn't trade the days...
. . . and conversely some of your kid's greatest memories will be dicing it up with you on the track. I wouldn't trade the days I spent trail riding and screwing around with my Dad for any racing win, trophy or accomplishment. I vividly remember how hard I worked to try to beat him as he intentionally slowed to give me a chance, and then returning the favor for him later in life.

Great post WhKnuckle.
Isn't it amazing how that all works out. As a father you want to give your boys that satisfaction of beating the old man so you do take the longer lines or whatever to give them that chance. I'm still waiting on them to let me have my glory back though. I just turned 41 and my sons are 22 and 20 but I don't want any freebies just yet!!! I want to earn that victory!! LOL
R-acer
3/26/2012 1:44pm
I ride on practice days with my bou, but man, I can't even get close, even when he is goon ridingUnsure
RACESTH639
3/26/2012 1:49pm
i grew up riding with my dad. essentially i wanted a dirtbike and he got one for himself so that he could enjoy it with us. nothing like the first time you pass your dad on the track and see the joy in his eyes. would not trade the memories at the races with my dad for anything in the world! Now im a top ten B rider and he's a vet c rider and we still have fun dicing it up out on the track. Awesome post, thanks for bring back all the memories
WhKnuckle
3/26/2012 1:51pm
GrapeApe wrote:
. . . and conversely some of your kid's greatest memories will be dicing it up with you on the track. I wouldn't trade the days...

Great post WhKnuckle.
Yeah, there were a couple of times when I dropped back a ways and I think he might have sandbagged just a bit to let me catch back up.

It might sound ickkky to call it a dance, but that's kind of like how it is. I was thinking of other cultures, how fathers pass manhood to their sons in certain rituals, and I think that's a very, very cool thing. We don't really do that in our culture, but there comes a day when your son just goes faster than you do, and you both know it. And you're both totally cool with it. It's the natural progression of things.
Racer92
3/26/2012 1:54pm
Sam's right. Just do it. The years flash by fast, before you know it they are gone. Mines in Okinawa and I wont get to see him for almost 2 years. Sad

I enjoyed my years riding with my boy

WhKnuckle
3/26/2012 1:56pm
You're still young, Bobby, you'll have lots of years to ride. And for the time being, you can chase Steve around whenever you want. We'll tag-team him.
Racer92
3/26/2012 1:57pm
WhKnuckle wrote:
You're still young, Bobby, you'll have lots of years to ride. And for the time being, you can chase Steve around whenever you want. We'll tag-team...
You're still young, Bobby, you'll have lots of years to ride. And for the time being, you can chase Steve around whenever you want. We'll tag-team him.
Cant wait til this sunday and Steve can whip up on both of us. Smile
fencepost
3/26/2012 2:01pm
So true. We ride milestone a lot and one of the main reasons is so my son (10) and I can ride together on a track. He's not fast at all, and I'm way cool with his calm, smooth riding. I see dads on the side yelling and the wrist in the pinned position. Cracks me up. Get out there and show him/ her how to do it. Not just hanging with a keg under your shirt and a beer in your hand.
gharmon
3/26/2012 2:09pm
GrapeApe wrote:

Great post WhKnuckle.
WhKnuckle wrote:
Yeah, there were a couple of times when I dropped back a ways and I think he might have sandbagged just a bit to let me...
Yeah, there were a couple of times when I dropped back a ways and I think he might have sandbagged just a bit to let me catch back up.

It might sound ickkky to call it a dance, but that's kind of like how it is. I was thinking of other cultures, how fathers pass manhood to their sons in certain rituals, and I think that's a very, very cool thing. We don't really do that in our culture, but there comes a day when your son just goes faster than you do, and you both know it. And you're both totally cool with it. It's the natural progression of things.
It's a moment of great pride isn't it. I freaking hate to lose but losing to your sons that you brought into this sport and shared your knowledge with isn't really a loss is it? No to me it isn't!!
newmann
3/26/2012 2:13pm
I just had three sets of graphics delivered for three 1974 CR125's. One for me and the others for the kids. Been a few years since we've been into riding a lot but there have been some classic father son battles in the vintage classes as well as the modern ones. Fun times.
WhKnuckle
3/26/2012 2:19pm
WhKnuckle wrote:
You're still young, Bobby, you'll have lots of years to ride. And for the time being, you can chase Steve around whenever you want. We'll tag-team...
Racer92 wrote:
Cant wait til this sunday and Steve can whip up on both of us. Smile
Sunday's gonna be epic - if the rain holds off. It'll be epic and muddy and it rains. Either way...
lucero10x
3/26/2012 2:20pm
WhKnuckle wrote:
I see lots of dads at racetracks watching their kids ride, which is great, and it's a terrific father/son time. But I spent Saturday chasing Steve...

For sure. Bummer he is already much faster than his pops. Wink

4stroke4DWIN
3/26/2012 2:48pm
WhKnuckle wrote:

Oh man I use to ride the shit out of Rio Bravo back in the 90's won lots of series out there, GREAT memories of my parents going apeshit on the sidelines cheering " The Boy" on as my pops referred to me as. Now I'm the dad racing/coaching/ cheering my daughter on. My 14yr old daughter which is healing up from a broken wrist and torn thumb muscle, asked how long would I train her? I told her when you can beat me around the track " Then I've accomplished what I set out to do" after that you'll be fast enough to progress on your own. My daughter is awesome, She is my best fan lol, she makes it a point to make it back to the truck before me after my moto to tell me how good I did and help me take off my gear. I can't wait til she gets healed up so we can dice it up, I'm her number one fan she just doesn't know it yet.

[/img]
Titan1
3/26/2012 2:57pm
My son is 18 months old, and the mere thought of riding with him makes me smile! I can't wait!

My good buddy just bought his son his first bike, and the first time i went riding with them together, it was obvious that my buddy was floating around following his son.
Rupert X
3/26/2012 3:08pm
My son Joe whips it and gives me look-backs and attempts to make me ride faster and do jumps that will make me dead

and stuff. Sometimes he brake checks me and shouts at me. He reminds me often how much I suck on a bike.

My other son, Tommy, tries to humiliate me and roost me in every corner and do everything to insult my slow, goofy, riding

style.

My kids hate me. I do SOOOOO love riding with the little bastards though....
Falcon
Fantasy
765th
3/26/2012 3:13pm
Santa Claus is going to bring my kid a PW50 this year. I cannot wait to take him to the desert and get him started on this rollercoaster.
3/26/2012 4:42pm
me and son got our first bike together him a crf50 me a klx250s (street legal) we had fun and would spend weekends in ocitillo wells.
when we had to move east we were bummed that we couldnt ride desert any more. we then turned to mx. he had a good first season on his crf50 and then had to move up to 65's i couldnt afford a track bike at the time so i had to watch. a couple years later and he now has his 65 and 2 85's and i recently got myself a cfr450. at least at practice we can ride together.

i LMFAO the first time at the track as i was coming up to the finish line table top there was my son giving dad the old air throttle and swinging his arm in a big circle.

cant wait till the next practice day were gonna hit the table top together and try to catch a pick of us in the air together.
CnCRacing
3/26/2012 4:59pm
This is the best post I've seen on here in a while. My son is 5 and hopefully will start riding his pw50 without training wheels this summer. My Dad and I never rode together on the track but I remember burning my boots on the cases of his Bultaco riding double in front of him. Then later when I could handle the trails trying to keep up. I cant wait to pass it on.Smile
Hoov
3/26/2012 5:09pm Edited Date/Time 3/26/2012 5:50pm
I remember when I realized I needed a bike too...when I pulled the restrictor plate out of the PW50. I told him to stay close so I could keep an eye on him. He immediately took off full throttle over the hill and out of sight!

Then they grow up, go to college and become KNOW-IT-ALL's Laughing ...still, you love them, and the memories from riding/racing are pricelessWink

ocscottie
3/26/2012 5:17pm
Then they grow up, go to college and become KNOW-IT-ALL's

HAR!!! Good one Hoov...real good. Cool
mx-4-2
3/26/2012 6:20pm
WhKnuckle wrote:

Fully agree hence my user name Started riding with my son in '08 and started racing in '10. Last year we did over 20 races in D13. We help each other prep for upcoming motos, walk the track together to pick lines, help each other pack down the starting gate, etc... We both have some great memories and more to come.
Rupert X
3/26/2012 6:38pm
Hoov wrote:
I remember when I realized I needed a bike too...when I pulled the restrictor plate out of the PW50. I told him to stay close so...
I remember when I realized I needed a bike too...when I pulled the restrictor plate out of the PW50. I told him to stay close so I could keep an eye on him. He immediately took off full throttle over the hill and out of sight!

Then they grow up, go to college and become KNOW-IT-ALL's Laughing ...still, you love them, and the memories from riding/racing are pricelessWink

This. Like.
WhKnuckle
3/26/2012 6:55pm
Hoov wrote:
I remember when I realized I needed a bike too...when I pulled the restrictor plate out of the PW50. I told him to stay close so...

Steve is going off to college next year, and he was seriously thinking about going to a California or Oregon college instead of staying in Texas - but one thing he couldn't quite stomach was the fact that he'd go months without loading all the bikes up with me and going riding. Really, I think that was the biggest factor in his decision to stay in-state. And since in-state tuition is WAY cheaper, I'm saving enough to buy a lot of whiz-bang bike parts (and maybe a couple of new bikes) for the next four years. It's nice when life hands you a win-win, and you don't even have to work for it.
mark_swart
3/26/2012 7:07pm
WhKnuckle wrote:

Well said, and it also makes me wonder when I see mini dads getting all drill sergeant on their kids, why don't they just buy their own bike and go race if they want to compete so bad!?

Post a reply to: For the dads out there...

The Latest