For God's Sake get rid of Ralph Sheheen already!

JM485
10/16/2018 12:25pm
flatout111 wrote:
I think you're speaking of Todd Harris.
Todd and Cameron Steel were the best announcing duo in history, nobody else is even close for me. Probably because I grew up on them watching bar to bar 05 about 10000 times as a kidLaughing
flopper12
Fantasy
2247th
10/16/2018 12:25pm
For the love of whatever God you do or don't worship......please......PLEASE......Get rid of Ralph. He's a choad.
lostboy819
Fantasy
1568th
10/16/2018 12:51pm
I will say it again, I like Ralph and I think he's does a good jobCool
BikeGuy321
10/16/2018 12:52pm
BikeGuy321 wrote:
I've been watching Supercross since the early 2000's when ESPN did the broadcast. They have always catered to sponsors regardless of the commentators. I consider myself...
I've been watching Supercross since the early 2000's when ESPN did the broadcast. They have always catered to sponsors regardless of the commentators.

I consider myself a pretty diehard fan of MX, so if the broadcast makes it hard for me to enjoy the show I can only imagine how casual fans feel about it.

Everyone who has no problem with the broadcast, watch a round of CMRC Canadian Nationals, The AMA Nationals, and MXGP. If Supercross is the 'Big Show' why does it have such poor, uninspiring commentating compared to every other major series?
Rushton597 wrote:
The Canadian series has some of the most horrible announcing I've ever heard. I really dont know how you could listen to that and think it's...
The Canadian series has some of the most horrible announcing I've ever heard. I really dont know how you could listen to that and think it's anything at all to brag about. EDIT: they referred to maffenbeier as "muffindiver" for literally one whole race two seasons ago. Yes it was sorta funny the first time but.... jesus it was hard to listen to. The least professional sounding announcing ever.
Yeah, those guys can be a bit tacky at times but at least you can tell that they're passionate about the sport and their emotions are real. To me, Ralph seems like he only gets excited when somebody crashes, gets huckabuck, or something scandalous happens.

The Shop

Moto96
10/16/2018 1:06pm
Yes Ralph and Jeff are both awful. Ricky has his good and bad moments. Jenny is amazing because she is well liked among the riders and...
Yes Ralph and Jeff are both awful. Ricky has his good and bad moments. Jenny is amazing because she is well liked among the riders and always provides good insight. Weege is amazing and imagine how amazing if he announced for Supercross and still had a word of the day. Blair is by far one of my personal favorites.
But recently I noticed Blair is off Twitter. Maybe I missed something. Where in the world is Daniel Blair?
Blair is a good announcer, but if you listen to his podcast, you’ll realize that the average vitard has more knowledge of what’s going on in...
Blair is a good announcer, but if you listen to his podcast, you’ll realize that the average vitard has more knowledge of what’s going on in the sport right now. It’s baffling how many times he has no idea what the listener questions are referring to.
flatout111 wrote:
I like Blair a lot and think he has great future in the sport but I do think he needs to do some homework on the...
I like Blair a lot and think he has great future in the sport but I do think he needs to do some homework on the history of the sport. Past his racing era he doesn't seem to know a lot.

But he's dedicated and can learn. No worries there.

I think Steve could be an excellent announcer but I doubt it ever happens.
Squirrel above is right. Blair isnt good. He is way out of his element. Ralph actually has more knowledge in his back pocket than you know. Ralph has announced everything including F1.

On Blairs podcast, after a whole season, an email read asked him what he thought of the new HOOSIER Tires.

He had no idea what they were or had ever heard of them. SAY WHAT? Hoosier tires has been around forever on dirt cars. The name is as well known as Goodyear and Firestone when it comes to racing tires.

Not knowing that a whole team was running them is like a total WTF Moment.
And yes, the average forum guy here has more knowledge and would be better.

NJKawi913
10/16/2018 1:31pm
I do like Ralph 99% percent of the time, but when the racing starts to get intense he sounds like he's about to have a heart attack. For Example when Joey pulled over to let Tomac by at Monster Cup, Ralph's voice sounded like he had been stabbed in the gut by Jeff.
Cliffy615
Fantasy
3109th
10/16/2018 1:31pm Edited Date/Time 10/16/2018 1:32pm
From a non American viewers perspective, I really enjoy listening to all the guys in the booth stateside. I heard some people say they liked listening to Paul Malin for the mxon and I think he’s awful along with all the mxgp presenters we’ve had for the last 10 years, it’s personal preference I guess. At least the USA guys add excitement! The mxgp guys make me literally want to fall asleep
BikeGuy321
10/16/2018 2:32pm
Maybe it is the director being clueless and not Ralph but they really need to stop telling us about " points as they run" really early in the races, and doing the picture-in-picture shots when nothing noteworthy is happening with the rider in the second video feed.

And show the darn leader when he's tearing up the track and actually has good rythm through sections! Nobody cares that he's not being pressured, we'd rather see him than the battle for 10th.

10/16/2018 2:59pm
Cliffy615 wrote:
From a non American viewers perspective, I really enjoy listening to all the guys in the booth stateside. I heard some people say they liked listening...
From a non American viewers perspective, I really enjoy listening to all the guys in the booth stateside. I heard some people say they liked listening to Paul Malin for the mxon and I think he’s awful along with all the mxgp presenters we’ve had for the last 10 years, it’s personal preference I guess. At least the USA guys add excitement! The mxgp guys make me literally want to fall asleep
I literally do fall asleep sometimes (most of the time) watching the GP’s. I do think Paul caters to the racer more than Ralph. Much more insight from him.
Tarz483
Fantasy
379th
10/16/2018 3:20pm Edited Date/Time 10/16/2018 3:24pm
Cliffy615 wrote:
From a non American viewers perspective, I really enjoy listening to all the guys in the booth stateside. I heard some people say they liked listening...
I agree the GP announcing seems Very Bland ,
What I think would really Help would be a 3rd
Guest announcer, someone in the industry and rotate
Especially in the main , imo mains are too long for 1 guest announcer, there should be two or 3 in rotation, every 10 to 15 minutes rotate in a new guest,
The reason I say that is because they kinda did this at some of the nationals this year , example Millville
They had Dungey And he did Great but it seemed like the race was a bit too long and they all run out of stuff to talk about , especially when everyone gets spaced out, which is totally understandable, but If they did a different guest
Every 10 minutes so total of 3 or even 2 guests and rotate after 15 minutes at the nationals , and something similar in the main in SX just get
A fresh person it would help imo
jonesaustin
10/16/2018 3:23pm
I think Emig is first rate. When he's excited about something on the track it comes from Pro level experience and I think it's pretty awesome...
I think Emig is first rate. When he's excited about something on the track it comes from Pro level experience and I think it's pretty awesome actually. I'm also amazed how he's able to do it, having overcome stammering in his early years as a racer. He and Bailey certainly my favorite voices for calling the shots.

Also, can't remember his name but the person calling the shots in 2003-ish time frame was also phenomenal. He was only with us for 3 years I think.
flatout111 wrote:
I think you're speaking of Todd Harris.
Thanks, yes that's exactly who it was. When he was calling some of those Chad Reed vs Carmichael races it was on point.
BMSOBx2
10/16/2018 3:36pm Edited Date/Time 10/16/2018 3:41pm
It could be worse. Has anyone listened to the NASCAR broadcast lately? Dale Jr., Burton & the other guy take turns being high pitched & screechy. Really hard to listen to. Be careful what you wish for. That being said, I do not like Ralph.
Moto96
10/16/2018 3:38pm
You guys should listen to the Matthes Shaheen Podcast. Dude is pretty cool.

Its a good listen. Especially all the rock concerts he goes to backstage, all the different stuff he's announced. I think DMXS had him on once also, or maybe it was PitPass. Either way, the dude is alright and sounds totally different than on the broadcast.

I feel like he's muffled and kinda told what to talk about.
WCRider
Fantasy
2234th
10/16/2018 3:46pm
Cliffy615 wrote:
Totally agree with you.

Nothing comparable with the MXGP. When I hear and see this intro and Weege's voice right after, I get excited, I'm hot, I'm hungry of motocross.

Mxracer6y
10/16/2018 4:13pm
Ralph needs to go for real..

And for all the cry babies here bitching at this guy for complaining about Ralph and saying “just shut up and watch the race !” You’re literally no different. You’re complaining about someone else complaining. Just shut up and ignore the thread if you don’t like it.

And for the “here we go again” guys

Yes your right, here we go again. That should tell you something. It should tell you that Ralph is soooo goddamn bad at announcing for supercross that people have to constantly make threads about it. Yes he’s THAT bad. He says the dumbest shit 90% of the time. On top of that he constantly is calling the wrong riders, wrong numbers, wrong manufacturers..etc and Don’t get me started on his yelling and screaming when something happens
10/16/2018 4:22pm
I like Ralph. I think him and Jeff do a great job in the booth.
katooom
10/16/2018 4:23pm
Watching MEC on the DVR made me very thankful for Fast Forward. They sure had a lot of filler garbage. Ralph and Fro get downright tiresome.
flatout111
10/16/2018 4:25pm
Cliffy615 wrote:
I'm not a fan of Mailin either. Cool guy, boring broadcaster.
life_of_jaze
10/16/2018 4:27pm
And you should Fist yourself.

Stupid post
10/16/2018 4:46pm
I feel bad for Emig because he has legitimate speech issues and to overcome them and do what he is doing is awesome, however he is definitely the weak link in there. I heard McGrath say on a podcast that he should be giving much more racers insight and talking to the true fans of the sport more and I have to agree.
RichieW13
Fantasy
2889th
10/16/2018 5:19pm
supercuss wrote:
Obviously it's awesome to have a race in the off season with most of the big guns squaring off. That said, after watching the first Monster...
Obviously it's awesome to have a race in the off season with most of the big guns squaring off. That said, after watching the first Monster Cup race of the night, I'm more puzzled than ever that some people still seem to think Ralph is a decent announcer. I'm going to leave Jeff out of it here, he "sets in second" when it comes to the announcing issue.

Once everyone's through the first turn, there are two main things that need highlighting: PASSES and CRASHES. If there's a pass for the lead or in the front pack, stop what you're saying and bloody announce it! The closest anyone got to noting a major pass while it was happening in that first race was Fro's patented "Uh-Oh!" when Marv passed Savatgy, while Ralph was talking about, as usual, pointless stuff.

Year after year almost everyone seems to hate on the announcing, and nothing changes. I get some of the reasons they keep bringing Ralph back, like trying to bring in fans from all the other events he calls. But at some point, casual fans who are actually watching already are just going to turn it off after hearing too much of Ralph's low-rent Troy McClure act. Hardcore fans will of course always watch and just cringe through it.

At the end of the day I suppose it's not that big of a deal, and to be fair to Ralph the second race was much better than the first. I'm just sick of being stoked to watch an event and then hearing that voice and thinking, damn, now I've got to listen to this frickin guy for the next 3 hours...
For your complaint about calling off-camera incidents, I think your complaint belongs to the producers. I believe Ralph and Jeff are told to announce the race by watching the same feed that we see on TV. So Ralph can only call what we are seeing, because he probably doesn't see anything else.

dlanod
7/9/2019 5:46pm
TDeath21 wrote:
You people criticize Ralph yet he does a perfect job for what they want him to do. All of us here are experts at moto knowledge...
You people criticize Ralph yet he does a perfect job for what they want him to do. All of us here are experts at moto knowledge when compared with the general population. We are in the top .01% of all people in the world when it comes to that. We are not the audience he’s speaking to.

For us, yes it is annoying that he constantly says things like, “Eli Tomac on the number 3 green Kawasaki”. But again he’s not speaking to us .01%ers. He’s speaking to the general audience that might be tuning in so they know who is who and what they look like. They’re the 99.9% and they’re the ones the announcers are trying to capture and make new viewers out of. Same goes for Emig when he says how much the roost hurts each and every race at each and every round. We know it does. Many of us have felt it first hand. Many viewers, however, haven’t.

If you step back a second and realize they aren’t announcing for us .01%ers, they actually do a great job. Furthermore, I encourage you to set up an audio recorder and mute the TV. Then proceed to announce the race. Replay it and listen to yourself. See how you sound. It’s hard. Very hard.
It is very hard and they make it look easy. Also I think Emig is awesome. You all have to remember that Shaheen and Emig are the announcers but everything they say is directed by Feld motorsports. If you want to point fingers, point fingers at Feld.

Post a reply to: For God's Sake get rid of Ralph Sheheen already!

The Latest